League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Right ! - 3 in row finally???

Town Win
93%
Imps Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Tangfastic

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:00 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:42 am
Thats good, i only watched up to about 65 mins
Andy Warren’s ratings below.

Tyreeq Bakinson

Back in the side alongside the Town skipper, the Bristol City loanee had some excellent moments on the ball as he popped it off to team-mates. Was slack on other occasions but certainly had more good moments than bad, with one well-struck shot saved in the second period. A good display, possibly his best in Blue. 8

An 8 being generous. A 6 or 7 for me. But not crap. I thought he took a while to get into the game. He’s no Morsy, though, and he’ll do well to fill Morsy’s boots if he’s not fit.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:07 am

On Bakinson, I don’t think my second half comment was far off the mark;

…….. Bakinson was really clumsy early on when he was both giving the ball away and getting caught in possession. He actually looks better going forward and is really strong and difficult to knock off the ball, he just looks a bit clumsy at times but isn’t crap.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:52 am

He’s very inconsistent with the game, as opposed to having one game very , and another very poor.
He can make a sublime move / pass, but then 20 seconds later just give the ball away.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:48 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... a-distance If only he had been here since August. Nice words from Appleton.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:07 pm

Great to read and probably correct since we inherited a decent manager.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:15 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:48 pm
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... a-distance If only he had been here since August. Nice words from Appleton.
Appleton obviously trying to put himself in the frame for the Town job when McKenna is poached by another club next season. :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:26 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:15 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:48 pm
Appleton obviously trying to put himself in the frame for the Town job when McKenna is poached by another club next season. :lol:
That was what I was thinking. Mate of Ashton’s. He was in the picture before Cook got the job, but he’d just signed a long contract with Lincoln. Still it is rather more flattering than a Steve Evans post-match comment.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:24 pm

All nice words but reality is that Ipswich have a lot of very tough fixtures coming up if they are to reach the play offs.
If they get there then they have a great chance of going up and I'd make them favourites to do so.
McKenna really is doing well and delivering on all the good references he was given.
Team looking in a good place now, away form is where it needs to be and home form is excellent.
If not this season then deffo next season for Town. Hopeful of this season though.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:20 pm

Don't all that often disagree with you Mike but far as Bakinson goes I certainly do

For me lost count of how many times his passing was wayward at best. He did have couple of decent passes and one long range shot which even Mills said their keeper made a save for the camera. To say he's a scapecoat is harsh. You obviously rate him and that's fine, personally I do not very much and if he's playing along side Carroll on Saturday then I will be very nervous

We all have players for one reason or not either rate or don't, Bakinson is one I don't but he is no scapegoat for really hopes he plays fantastic games every game he plays for us

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:37 pm

Think I’d play El Mizouni with Celina or unfortunately, Carroll .El Miz the holding MF with the flair MF playing more forward. Celina with Morsy v Morecambe worked really well I thought. So why not El Miz / Celina?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:46 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:20 pm
Don't all that often disagree with you Mike but far as Bakinson goes I certainly do

For me lost count of how many times his passing was wayward at best. He did have couple of decent passes and one long range shot which even Mills said their keeper made a save for the camera. To say he's a scapecoat is harsh. You obviously rate him and that's fine, personally I do not very much and if he's playing along side Carroll on Saturday then I will be very nervous

We all have players for one reason or not either rate or don't, Bakinson is one I don't but he is no scapegoat for really hopes he plays fantastic games every game he plays for us
Nothing wrong with disagreeing with each mate, I just think from the first time he played less than 6 hours after arriving here he was given a tough time, thankfully McKenna rates him which is all that matters, even that lot over on TWTD are pretty much all saying he was good last night and his best performance for Town. The last game it was his introduction which helped changed our set up that led to the goals, sometimes its what goes unrecognised by us mere mortals that is so important to the team, same with Jackson who was virtually hounded out of the club by our marvellous fans.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:46 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with each mate, I just think from the first time he played less than 6 hours after arriving here he was given a tough time, thankfully McKenna rates him which is all that matters, even that lot over on TWTD are pretty much all saying he was good last night and his best performance for Town. The last game it was his introduction which helped changed our set up that led to the goals, sometimes its what goes unrecognised by us mere mortals that is so important to the team, same with Jackson who was virtually hounded out of the club by our marvellous fans.

Well I certainly trust Kieran McKenna and I think we all hope Bakinson does well when called upon. Problem I have for Saturday and I think many of us does is if Bakinson is paired with Carroll.. Morsy does so much and In fact I would say Morsy is for me one of the very best midfielders we have had since Matt Holland days here. Similar in driving forward and leadership skills. Town will really miss him if he's not playing

McKenna though is a really thorough and so far totally outstanding manager. Whoever he chooses will no doubt be the right choices

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:57 pm

https://i.ibb.co/HhgD206/7160888-B-30- ... B73-D8.jpg

Not a good picture of Edmundson injury I’m afraid …

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:59 pm

Could have been possible to join in with action second-half yesterday but rarely see the point anymore. Not sure what can be said that has already been summarized only that we're really putting a run together now and arguably on the verge of promotion material. One last time, it's a real pity but believe we've left it too late.

what was it, 25,000 in attendance. Remarkable figure, something you can take real pride in. Only goes to show the fanbase are regaining interest and putting faith in the new manager. Despite a few road bumps in recent weeks real progress is tangible.

Need to view our next few games coming up but should be Portsmouth next in line, an opposition we invariably have problems taking results from. If we can overcome that issue and take another three points with it, more people outside the club name can really take notice.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:57 pm
https://i.ibb.co/HhgD206/7160888-B-30- ... B73-D8.jpg

Not a good picture of Edmundson injury I’m afraid …
Thats nasty. Ouch.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:08 pm

Sorry Saint but really do not understand this "Could have been possible to join in with action second-half yesterday but rarely see the point anymore." What do you mean see the point? For years watch absolute dross, rubbish, sorry garbage for you. Yet now we are at least looking pretty decent, look a damn good team you say not see the point

Ok, chances are we will not make the playoffs but still a good chance we will. Even so, after years of tripe I would think now we are playing decent with a damn good manager you might see the point

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:15 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:08 pm
Sorry Saint but really do not understand this "Could have been possible to join in with action second-half yesterday but rarely see the point anymore." What do you mean see the point? For years watch absolute dross, rubbish, sorry garbage for you. Yet now we are at least looking pretty decent, look a damn good team you say not see the point

Ok, chances are we will not make the playoffs but still a good chance we will. Even so, after years of tripe I would think now we are playing decent with a damn good manager you might see the point
Saints post in its entirety is a positive one, S&J.
Just not too confident on Play-Offs which is fair enough. 🤷‍♂️

Portsmouth, Oxford, Plymouth……… those really will cement whether “the point” has been worth it.

FTR, & IMO…….. Cant see Edmundson being out really being a catastrophe. And if it is, then a summer in L1 is required.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:25 pm

I’ve got no real confidence we’ll make the playoffs, but you have to see the improvement since KM took over. I’ve said it and Shed said it, my real concern is losing KM to another club. I just hope KM will get us promoted before that becomes an issue, and let’s face it the only real chance for promotion will come next season. Hope I’m wrong, but we’ll have to win most of our games to have a chance this season. I’m not being negative at all, but Cook left a mountain too hard to climb.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:28 pm

Everyone and their dog will be on that promotion bandwagon if the club can overcome Pompey @ PR. It’ll get legitimately exciting.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:26 am

Bluemike wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

Those ‘marvellous fans’ are the reason Gamechanger got involved with us in the first place. 25,000 fans on a Tuesday night playing Lincoln in League One in winter. Not bad. Without those fans they would have looked elsewhere for a club to take forward.

Worst case scenario if Gamechanger ever pulls out / McKenna leaves then we’d still have the fanbase so we’d be an attractive proposition for another potential buyer. Our fanbase are our safety net.

Can’t recall Jackson ever being hounded out by fans. In fact, he’s been a forgotten figure by managers / fans most of the time. Kudos to Jackson himself /McKenna for him getting back into the frame.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:53 am

saint jude wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:59 pm
Could have been possible to join in with action second-half yesterday but rarely see the point anymore. Not sure what can be said that has already been summarized only that we're really putting a run together now and arguably on the verge of promotion material. One last time, it's a real pity but believe we've left it too late.

what was it, 25,000 in attendance. Remarkable figure, something you can take real pride in. Only goes to show the fanbase are regaining interest and putting faith in the new manager. Despite a few road bumps in recent weeks real progress is tangible.

Need to view our next few games coming up but should be Portsmouth next in line, an opposition we invariably have problems taking results from. If we can overcome that issue and take another three points with it, more people outside the club name can really take notice.
Nice post Saint. I’m not sure it’s a case of “ leaving it too late”. Although time is running out and now injuries may prove the deciding factor over our last 9 games. But I’ve said since the start of the season that this Town squad/ team would take the majority of the season to truly bed in. McKenna coming has been the glue to get these players really playing. Next season will be a joy for us fans and I’m expecting maybe 2-3 additions and departures to fine tune this squad.

Next season we go up as Champions!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:29 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:26 am
Bluemike wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

Those ‘marvellous fans’ are the reason Gamechanger got involved with us in the first place. 25,000 fans on a Tuesday night playing Lincoln in League One in winter. Not bad. Without those fans they would have looked elsewhere for a club to take forward.

Worst case scenario if Gamechanger ever pulls out / McKenna leaves then we’d still have the fanbase so we’d be an attractive proposition for another potential buyer. Our fanbase are our safety net.

Can’t recall Jackson ever being hounded out by fans. In fact, he’s been a forgotten figure by managers / fans most of the time. Kudos to Jackson himself /McKenna for him getting back into the frame.
If you were on the terraces you would know he was most definitely hounded numerous times and treated not very well, not being at games you don't hear it. As for 25000 fans, yes its great when behind the team, not so when things aren't going well, our fans turn to boos very quickly, thankfully not all of them but it happens.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:50 am

Mike's assessment is very true. Jackson was cast aside by managers but also fans alike. We do indeed have great fans but we also have our fair share (actually quite a lot, depending on which fixtures you go to) of very unsavoury ones I am afraid. Jackson was the subject of a lot of abuse and 'not fit to wear the shirt', 'never been good enough' etc but hopefully he is coming good now for us at last 🤞

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:59 pm

If memory serves me right Mike didn’t rate Jackson either…. :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:59 pm
No-one did in the end. Apart from McKenna. Shrewd guy.

I just don’t think he was being hounded out of the club. Strong words. We’d just forgotten about him. I’d say hounding out would mean the treatment of someone like Jonathon Douglas who still gets derided. He got absolutely hammered every game to the point of I felt sorry for him (even though I thought he was crap).

In Jackson’s time you might as well say about 10-15 other players were being hounded out given the criticism they got.

I still think Freddie would have made it here (20+ goals a season) if some fans weren’t on his back every game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:32 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Incorrect, look back and I would say 95% of my posts regarding Jackson were in support of him, I will find them if you like.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:33 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:09 pm
hallamblue wrote:
No-one did in the end. Apart from McKenna. Shrewd guy.

I just don’t think he was being hounded out of the club. Strong words. We’d just forgotten about him. I’d say hounding out would mean the treatment of someone like Jonathon Douglas who still gets derided. He got absolutely hammered every game to the point of I felt sorry for him (even though I thought he was crap).

In Jackson’s time you might as well say about 10-15 other players were being hounded out given the criticism they got.

I still think Freddie would have made it here (20+ goals a season) if some fans weren’t on his back every game.
The difference is I support every player and manager alike while at games, never boo, never have and always applaud at the final whistle, I even did it for Cook when the prat was ruining our season. This is the place to vent anger and negative opinion, not on the terraces.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:33 pm

The difference is I support every player and manager alike while at games, never boo, never have and always applaud at the final whistle, I even did it for Cook when the prat was ruining our season. This is the place to vent anger and negative opinion, not on the terraces.
...and that js precisely it in a nutshell! We all have opinions of players, managers etc and Mike will readily admit that he was highly critical (on here) of Wolfie, but also recognises the change in him under KM.

Likewise, i have (probably) used terms like 'lightweight", "headless chicken" when referring to Jackson on here. Personally i still dont particularly rate him, as i have always felt that pace was all his game consisted off, not that i would shout abuse about him while at PR. In truth, after seeing him on Tuesday night, he appears to be making a mockery of my opinions and long may it continue! I saw a hungry, determined player against Lincoln, i would go so far as saying he currently the best (certainly most inform) striker we have at Ipswich. Hats off to McKenna for transforming things.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:48 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
I always maintained we ( a succession of managers ) ruined Freddie Sears’ game because they insisted on playing him as a winger. Col U play him as a central striker , and shock, amazement he’s scoring goals .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:48 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
I always maintained we ( a succession of managers ) ruined Freddie Sears’ game because they insisted on playing him as a winger. Col U play him as a central striker , and shock, amazement he’s scoring goals .
Being totally honest. It was a jokey aside to Mike who hated Freddie. All good. All fun.

And as Mike says…..

“This is the place to vent anger and negative opinion, not on the terraces.”

So fill your boots*

*But not with Bakinson and Ashton.