Who would you want in to replace Morsy then ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Who would you want in to replace Morsy then ?

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:11 pm

I'm going on the possibility that Morsy will be out for at least three games. Hope he isn't , but cant see him playing tbh . Evans it seems is still "weeks" away from playing ...so that's probably all but the last few games if were lucky, with him.

I think McKenna will op for Carroll (due to his experience),which is a shame coz hes really not got any physical presence about him, and that's what we'll miss most about Morsy I think.

So, who then would you want in our midfield for the foreseeable ?

Id be thinking of bringing in El Mizouni

Tangfastic

Re: Who would you want in to replace Morsy then ?

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:45 pm

I’d even consider Aluko. He’s more physical than Carroll and Celina. He surprised us by putting Celina there and I think Aluko could do a job there, too. Not only was he fantastic on the ball last night, but he also won the ball back quite often. He looks sharp. Expect it to be Carroll, though.

I wouldn’t really want both Bakinson and El Mizouni together.

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:22 pm

Has there actually been any official comment on the Edmundson and Morsy injuries yet?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:35 pm

Not yet James, but doubt the Club will show their hand regarding players availability until they have too.

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:07 pm

Let's keep everything crossed that we were just being cautious and they'll both be available at the weekend

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:12 am

From the EADT:

Who replaces Edmundson and Morsy? The ITFC injury debate

Published: 6:00 AM March 10, 2022

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna and his assistant Martyn Pert may have to shuffle their pack due to injuries. - Credit: Steve Waller - stephenwaller.com

Ipswich Town's 2-0 home win against Lincoln on Tuesday night was slightly dampened by a string of second half injuries. STUART WATSON looks at how Kieran McKenna may have to shuffle his pack
George Edmundson was forced off with an ankle injury. - Credit: Steve Waller - stephenwaller.com

REPLACING GEORGE EDMUNDSON

Edmundson came off with a badly swollen ankle and, almost certainly, won't be fit for Saturday's crunch home clash with Portsmouth. If there's ligament damage, then it could be several weeks on the sidelines.

The obvious replacement for him is Town's only other fit senior centre-back - CAMERON BURGESS.

Stylistically, it's not a like-for-like swap. Burgess is certainly less mobile. The 26-year-old did play on the left side of a back three for former club Accrington Stanley though and will add some extra aerial threat at set-pieces.

Cameron Burgess hasn't started a game for Ipswich Town since the 2-0 FA Cup defeat at Barrow last December.

Don't forget, Burgess started out in midfield for Fulham. Maybe McKenna can unlock something in him when it comes to using the ball more productively than what we saw under previous boss Paul Cook.

"He's been somebody I've spoken about a few times recently because he genuinely has been training to a really high level," said the Blues boss.

"He's been contributing in meetings, been driving and leading training sessions and waiting for his opportunity. He's done everything he can to prepare himself to step into the team."

This is going to be tough. Morsy has been leading by example in recent weeks, playing with the box-to-box drive and determination of a man on a mission.

With Lee Evans already sidelined, the Blues are now without their first-choice central midfield duo at a crucial moment.

Town have faced this situation before though. At the back end of January, when Morsy was suspended and Evans was injured, McKenna tried two different midfield combinations.

In the 2-0 win at AFC Wimbledon, it was TYREEQ BAKINSON and TOM CARROLL. For the subsequent 1-0 loss at Sheffield Wednesday, it was Bakinson and IDRIS EL MIZOUNI.

Bakinson, who is really starting to find his feet after a January loan switch from Bristol City, appears to be in the box seat. But who will partner him?

Carroll brings Premier League passing pedigree, but strength and stamina are not his fortes. El Mizouni brings far less experience, but would be the closest thing stylistically to Morsy when it comes to playing with a physical edge. Word is he has an Achilles injury though.

If it's Carroll, then Bakinson will be freed up to get further forwards. And the 23-year-old has shown he is capable of goals and assists.

Another option would be for Bakinson to sit deeper and to play either BERSANT CELINA or SONE ALUKO alongside him.

Celina has played central midfield for Swansea, Dijon and Kosovo. He was tried there by McKenna at Fleetwood last weekend. Yes, the 25-year-old's best work in that game came once he was moved further forwards towards the end, but he showed enough in that first period to suggest it's an experiment worth looking at again.

Aluko, who was Town's man of the match in the 2-0 win against Lincoln on Tuesday night, also possesses the qualities to operate further back. He may actually be better suited for that role than Celina given his off-the-ball work rate is better.

Deploying either Celina or Aluko deeper would, of course, then allow McKenna to get another attacking player on the pitch. James Norwood, Macauley Bonne, Joe Pigott and Conor Chaplin were all on the bench in midweek.

I'll finish with a wildcard option in CAMERON HUMPHREYS. The 18-year-old is shining for the U23s and has a number of Premier League clubs tracking his progress. The door (even if for a spot on the bench) may now be ajar for him.

Could Tyreeq Bakinson fill in as a defender for Ipswich Town? - Credit: Pagepix Ltd
*IF* LUKE WOOLFENDEN IS OUT

Woolfenden was, quite rightly in my book, named Town's February Player of the Month before Tuesday night's kick-off.

The ice cool 23-year-old has found a lease of new life under McKenna and is making football look easy at the heart of that back three.

He did, however, look to be moving a little awkwardly during the second half against Lincoln. Fingers crossed it's a minor knock he will soon recover from. But if it's not then McKenna has some thinking to do...

With just two fit senior centre-halves, would it best to switch to a back four? Not for me. Town are looking a well-oiled machine with this 3-4-3 system.

So who could play out position at the back?

Were he fit, then I would have advocated Evans. But he's not.

An alternative would be BAKINSON trying to replicate the Woolfenden role. He's got the calm ball-playing qualities to do so. Defensively, there would be bigger question marks though. And, as we've discussed, he's needed in a depleted midfield anyway.

So next best option, in my mind, would be moving DOMINIC THOMPSON onto the left side of a back three and shifting Burgess (though not ideal) to the middle. Kane Vincent-Young or Matt Penney fill the left wing-back void in this scenario.

The wildcard option here is ELKAN BAGGOTT stepping up from the in-form Under-23s. The 19-year-old Indonesian international is tipped for a bright future.

*IF* WES BURNS IS OUT

Losing Burns would, arguably, be the biggest blow of all.

The Welshman terrorised Lincoln on Tuesday night, scoring the first (his 11th of the season) and helping set-up the second with a surging run.

Janoi Donacien would normally be in consideration for playing further forwards, but he's required at the back.

Kane Vincent-Young is capable of playing on the right or the left. Kyle Edwards, if fit, would also be very much front and centre of the conversation. But he's not.

KANE VINCENT-YOUNG, stylistically, would therefore be the closest thing to a like-for-like Burns replacement. When fit and firing, he is capable of getting bums off seats with his driving runs and stepovers.

Could any of the forward players play the advanced right wing-back role? Of all of them, I'd make the strongest cases for CONOR CHAPLIN and KAYDEN JACKSON. Both work hard, can deliver a cross and know where the net is. That would be an extremely bold move though.

Powerful 18-year-old EDWIN AGBAJE, who impressed during Town's run to the FA Youth Cup semis last season, plays right wing-back for the U23s. It's probably too soon for him to step up.

*IF* DOMINIC THOMPSON IS OUT

It's a bit more straight forward here.

The aforementioned KANE VINCENT-YOUNG and MATT PENNEY wait in the wings.

Penney hasn't featured since he was taken off in the 2-0 loss at Bolton on January 15. He was on the bench for the recent 2-0 win at Fleetwood.

Vincent-Young hasn't started a game since his late red card in the win at AFC Wimbledon back on January 25. He came on for Thompson in the recent 0-0 home draw with Cheltenham.

It's hard to know which of these two would get the nod.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:01 pm

Ipswich Town FC
@IpswichTown
·
4h
🤕 George Edmundson will be out for 'quite some time' after sustaining ankle ligament damage on Tuesday night, Kieran McKenna has confirmed.

The Town boss is hopeful that captain Sam Morsy will be available for Saturday's game having come through training earlier today.

Burns also, didn’t manage to complete a full training session. So might be doubtful for tomorrow too - hope not .

Apparently Morsy started Tuesdays game with his hamstring tapped up so he’s clearly nursing a strain there .

Just a massive 🤞🤞🤞for these key players to stay fit .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:26 pm

He shouldn’t have played. Simple as that. He’ll probably be out even longer now.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:26 pm
He shouldn’t have played. Simple as that. He’ll probably be out even longer now.
As I said under the Matchday thread it was my big concern.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:49 pm

Morsy must have convinced the staff that he could do it …..hamstring injuries are very unforgiving, and take ages to rehab. Problem is if (e keeps trying to play, he’ll end up with a significant tea4 and be out longer.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:26 pm

In response to the question... NOT Tom Carroll and NOT Bakinson.....🙄

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:14 am

As would El Mizouni…… a bloke standing next to Mike and I said he’d gone out on loan…which I learned last night is NOT the case. If he’s fit , I’d definitely play him vs Oxford.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:21 am

El Mizouni is injured

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:11 pm

Yes I Know He has been but I said if fit.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:07 pm

How about Young Elkan Bagott in Sam Morsy's midfield place going on his International games for Indonesia he looked well capable, I know he's a CB but Kieran seems quite keen on him and could push him floating ahead of the back three, or as an alternative, Baggott left side CB and Burgess pushed into midfield as captain, if its not working then reverse their positions.

But When he's available Simpson is a deffo for upfront striker someone with a bit of power play that we have sorely lacked up top

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:17 pm

I do wonder if Evans might be back soon ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:08 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:07 pm
How about Young Elkan Bagott in Sam Morsy's midfield place going on his International games for Indonesia he looked well capable, I know he's a CB but Kieran seems quite keen on him and could push him floating ahead of the back three, or as an alternative, Baggott left side CB and Burgess pushed into midfield as captain, if its not working then reverse their positions.

But When he's available Simpson is a deffo for upfront striker someone with a bit of power play that we have sorely lacked up top
I'm glad your not manager Ash :wink: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:17 pm

lol :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:59 pm

Is Cameron Humphrey’s on loan or at the club? He seemed good when I’ve seen him, ie would suit a bench place whilst Bakinson and Carrol start.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:19 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:59 pm
Is Cameron Humphrey’s on loan or at the club? He seemed good when I’ve seen him, ie would suit a bench place whilst Bakinson and Carrol start.
I agree, this lad could definitely step in and do a job.