Gordon Lee, a belated tribute.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Gordon Lee, a belated tribute.

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:50 pm

Was sad to learn of the passing of ex-Everton team coach Gordon Lee within the past 24 hours, he were 87 years of age. It's a shame but he had a good life. It's with some embarrassment didn't realize he was still alive up until very recent, shows how out of touch have become with events going on there.

Simply put, he assembled a very good squad at the end of the 1970's that was good enough to win honors but fell just short. Could and should have won both domestic Cup competitions in 1977 but both Clive Thomas and a marathon replay final with Aston Villa put paid to their chances.

Always thought he were one of their best managers in club history but that he did not win anything while there always seems to go against him. Came damn close though. Beat us (ITFC) in the sixth round of the F.A. Cup in 1980 at Portman Road I can remember while at the same time suffered a 4 - 0 league loss to us at Goodison Park around the same time. Made way for Howard (Kendall) a year after when the directors had seen enough and the rest in history.

It's just a shame he passes on at a time when the current team set-up in making a real mess of things and in dire threat of a relegation, bringing in Lampard to take "charge" was, and is, a mistake from the start, I can't influence decisions there but what the f*ck where they thinking.

RIP Mr Lee, condolences to the immediate family. Not a name or figure everyone can recognize but was with it when underway and once again it was with a certain level of sadness that the news item was reached.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Gordon Lee, a belated tribute.

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:08 pm

saint jude wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:50 pm
It's with some embarrassment didn't realize he was still alive up until very recent….
I’ll take the embarrassment to another level ——>> never heard of him.

But regardless….
RIP Mr Lee

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:59 am

I was at that game at Goodison . They whipped our asses that day. The Toffees were certainly THE team then. But one of my overriding memories from that game was Kevin Beattie heading a ball away . Nothing remarkable in that you might say, until I tell you his jump was so immense that he was half a body length above the Everton player and he was level with the crossbar! I’ve never seen anything like it since.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:52 am

Hey Liz I was at that game too, my only ever trip to Goodson Park. As I recall Beattie came on as a late substitute for Johnny Wark and scored very late in the game which by then was lost. As you say a towering header from a corner with his jump at or just above cross bar level.

Unbelievable we lost that game as they were going though a torrid time and other than FA Cup wins against Aldershot, Wigan and Wrexham I don’t think they’d won a game since the start of the year. In contrast we’d done them 0-4 at Goodison Park and beaten Chelsea and Palace comfortably at Portman Road, drew 1-1 at Liverpool all in the previous 2 weeks, and the devious Saturday before the FA Cup QF we had ripped Manchester United apart at Portman Road winning 6-0. That in itself was another story, six goals from six different scorers and Gary Bailey son of former Town goalkeeper Roy Bailey saved 3 penalties.

TWTD’s when it was great to be a Town fan. If only McKenna could take us back there.

O’oops in my excitement I nearly forgot the purpose of the thread. Indeed yes Gordon Lee, RIP, and yes I do remember you well.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:57 pm

I’ll be honest with you Andy , it was right in front of me that day, and The Beat was ABOVE the cross bar, but I didn’t think people would believe me if I’d put that tbh. I’ve never seen anything like it…and yes it was from a corner kick too.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:54 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:52 am
Hey Liz I was at that game too, my only ever trip to Goodson Park. As I recall Beattie came on as a late substitute for Johnny Wark and scored very late in the game which by then was lost. As you say a towering header from a corner with his jump at or just above cross bar level.

Unbelievable we lost that game as they were going though a torrid time and other than FA Cup wins against Aldershot, Wigan and Wrexham I don’t think they’d won a game since the start of the year. In contrast we’d done them 0-4 at Goodison Park and beaten Chelsea and Palace comfortably at Portman Road, drew 1-1 at Liverpool all in the previous 2 weeks, and the devious Saturday before the FA Cup QF we had ripped Manchester United apart at Portman Road winning 6-0. That in itself was another story, six goals from six different scorers and Gary Bailey son of former Town goalkeeper Roy Bailey saved 3 penalties.

TWTD’s when it was great to be a Town fan. If only McKenna could take us back there.

O’oops in my excitement I nearly forgot the purpose of the thread. Indeed yes Gordon Lee, RIP, and yes I do remember you well.
Was not six different scorers against united...Mariner got a hat trick Brazil scored twice and Thijssen got the other. Bailey did save 3 penalties though.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:42 pm

Well it was 42 years ago, maybe it was 3 different penalty takers ? … I can definitely remember something unusual within the stats. I can also remember their manager being completely pissed off, Dave Sexton I think it was just to the right of where my season ticket was in those days.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:24 am

The second one from Beattie was retaken. People say we had three penalties but only two were initially awarded. Beattie missed his first and the retake soon after. Thijsenn also missed a (first) penalty kick that day, hell we could of had scored double figures by the end of it. You got to be of a certain age to entertain it, it were an event and a half. Date of event 1 March 1980

Just for today's kids, and for the record, Brazil scored first, then Mariner, Mariner once again, we miss three (or two) awarded penalty decisions but rout them with further strikes from Brazil, Thijssen ands Mariner once again.

Got to be said also around that time a Town 4 - 0 League win at Everton were (9 February 1980) and defeat to the same opposition in the F.A. Cup Sixth Round at the same venue a short time after (8 March 1980) . Incidentally the same day we won 4 - 0 at Everton, Norwich were beaten by five goals at Carrow Road to Liverpool. Sometimes you can't make these things up.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:18 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:42 pm
Well it was 42 years ago, maybe it was 3 different penalty takers ? … I can definitely remember something unusual within the stats. I can also remember their manager being completely pissed off, Dave Sexton I think it was just to the right of where my season ticket was in those days.
You ask the question so I will give you the answer. 2 penalties 1 twice taken by Beattie the other missed by Thijssen. 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:34 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:18 pm
Charnwood wrote:
You ask the question so I will give you the answer. 2 penalties 1 twice taken by Beattie the other missed by Thijssen. 👍

I guess I could have Google’d that myself or even read Saint’s previous post but sometimes it’s nice just to try remember from simply being there on the day it happened.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:03 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:34 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:18 pm
Charnwood wrote:

I guess I could have Google’d that myself or even read Saint’s previous post but sometimes it’s nice just to try remember from simply being there on the day it happened.
I'm definitely remembering I don't need "google" . Town memories are Town memories. As for saint I really could not comment 🥺

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:12 am

I need google.

In fact……. Thank f*ck for google.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:53 am

What is it, out of interest, you couldn't comment on with this user name. We're all adults here, you got something to say then go ahead. Be warned, you're poking a dangerous spider.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:23 am

saint jude wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:53 am
What is it, out of interest, you couldn't comment on with this user name. We're all adults here, you got something to say then go ahead. Be warned, you're poking a dangerous spider.

Next time you change your user name Saint you can “Google” the Worlds Most Dangerous Spiders. 👍

I can imagine Marko coming up with a suggestion anytime soon. 🤔

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:53 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:23 am
saint jude wrote:

Next time you change your user name Saint you can “Google” the Worlds Most Dangerous Spiders. 👍

I can imagine Marko coming up with a suggestion anytime soon. 🤔
Well, there is a story from when i was a small boy. The word Tarantula. Pronunciation being “Taran-shoe-la”
Well i asked my dad what a “Taran-Too-la” was.
He of course laughed his a$$ off.

Im 52, dad 77……. He STILL says TaranToola when referring to that spider.
Only a couple years back, he was telling a painting & decorating story from when we lived in Geelong, Oz back in the 70’s. Was a christmas dinner and quite a few people there. 🤦‍♂️
“Moved this chest of drawers away from the wall, aw man, MASSIVE tarantoola sitting being there!”
Embarrassing! :blush:

Disclaimer: Don't think they’re dangerous though.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:30 pm

saint jude wrote:
Whether you use Google or not....you big hairy Tarantulas.