League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the run going?

Town Win
54%
Pompey Win
31%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 13

ashfordblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:54 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:03 pm
Both Morsy and Burns starts. Chaplin in for Aluko.

No CB on the bench. Yet 3 strikers.

Ash - can Simpson play CB?
:shock: Of course, he can Tang, he will play just in front of the back 3 pick up the loose through balls barge his way past Sam then take on their Center-backs, BISH BASH BOSH, and thumps the ball in the back of the net, 2nd half the opposition defenders come out wearing body armour :lol: :lol: :lol: we should nickname him Sumo Simo

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:27 pm

If that's a hamstring injury then I would suggest for me that's the managers first big mistake. Rather Morsy miss one game than possibly more now

I think Aluko could of replaced Morsy. Just not keen on this pairing in the middle now

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:45 pm

All winning around us unfortunately .we need to win this. Or that gap opens up again

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:54 pm

The 2nd half can only get better.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:56 pm

Considering everything with injuries etc to win this will be a great achievement

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:57 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:27 pm
If that's a hamstring injury then I would suggest for me that's the managers first big mistake. Rather Morsy miss one game than possibly more now

I think Aluko could of replaced Morsy. Just not keen on this pairing in the middle now
I’d agree about Aluko. No one is a likely replacement of Morsy, but Morsy is not only an enforcer but can drive the side on. Aluko is no light-weight and has that ability in the final third.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:10 pm

Quick Q: I just paid £10 for the second half of the game but I'm only getting radio commentary what happened?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:11 pm

We need Alukos quick feet and passing range. Would take Carroll off but that won't happen so Chaplin. Also would of Brought Piggott on he is better at holding the ball up and does not get caught offside all the time like Bonne.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:12 pm

Oops, now its working :-)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:29 pm

Same here second half only DB. We look like we’re playing ok. Impressed with what I’ve seen from Carroll so far. Burgess doing well too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:30 pm

Has Carroll been on from the start ? .. I’d assumed he’d replaced Morsy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:31 pm

I’d always have Aluko in my starting line up. Not sure McKenna rates him.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:37 pm

I can’t believe how few goals we score from corners.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:47 pm

Not sure what happened in the first half but we’re by far the better team in the second.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:03 pm

Not understanding how we don't score many goals from corners either. We get so many

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:11 pm

Should have won that comfortably

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:31 pm

With other results going against us it looks unlikely we will finish top six so we will just have to go up as champions next season, I don't like the play offs anyway apart from one season.😂

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:11 pm
Should have won that comfortably
Yep we should of, and unfortunately that's what will ultimately cost us over the season.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:55 pm

A very frustrating watch indeed. We played very well and Portsmouth offered little. They came for a point. I have said it before and I will say it again... i have no idea what Tom Carroll brings to the team. He is a weak link in every respect.

Bakinson was also poor for me - win a few good tackles but only after he had lost the ball in the first place! He simply cannot pass to another Ipswich player!

The defence was great - Burgess was superb for me and I never understood why he was dropped as what he lacks in passing ability he more than makes up with his aerial skills.

Celina did well, Chaplin was busy and excellent but Burns looked out of sorts and carrying an injury from the start. Jackson did well until his injury.

Another 2 points lost and as Hallam said and I have repeated, we never win when we need to... a sad fact but one that will keep us in this league for another year I fear.

I will keep the faith until it is mathematically impossible but we need a miracle to get to the play offs this year.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:22 pm

Well, roll: I think we should still give Simpson a chance up front as has been proved we ain't got it up top, we struggle big time and we need a player like Tyreese's strength and robust play to bust open this stalemate situation, K Mc can then plan who goes the best partner with Simpson, we cannot go up against our promotion challengers lightweight. aggression is what's needed Keiran, no pussy footing around KM now its time to get serious :x and take the gamble NOW

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:35 pm

I have no idea how we didn’t thump that Pompey Shyte 4-0 once again. They flatter to deceive for sure. We should have been 3-0 up before Morsy and Jackson limped off. I don’t we’ll see Morsy again this season now. I think a few players are running on empty now in terms of their bodies dealing with the high octaine performances we are seeing each week. First half vs Lincoln, it was like watching Brazil. Today , we looked on the verge of doing it again ,until Morsy limped off, and Jackson went not long after. It changed our midfield control and attacking influence completely. We recovered a little in second half,but Portsmouth had come for point, and that was the limit of their endeavours against us.

Personally I’d take that their approach against us as a massive compliment. But next season, we must have a more potent strike force. Then we will rip this league up.
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:38 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:34 pm
Cowley should've been sent off imo. Interfering with play.
Agree 100%, and said the same to Mike during the game, he was rarely in the technical area …interfering with play. The ref bottled the crucial decisions today OMO, and they never clamp down of clear time wasting.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:45 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:55 pm
A very frustrating watch indeed. We played very well and Portsmouth offered little. They came for a point. I have said it before and I will say it again... i have no idea what Tom Carroll brings to the team. He is a weak link in every respect.

Bakinson was also poor for me - win a few good tackles but only after he had lost the ball in the first place! He simply cannot pass to another Ipswich player!

The defence was great - Burgess was superb for me and I never understood why he was dropped as what he lacks in passing ability he more than makes up with his aerial skills.

Celina did well, Chaplin was busy and excellent but Burns looked out of sorts and carrying an injury from the start. Jackson did well until his injury.

Another 2 points lost and as Hallam said and I have repeated, we never win when we need to... a sad fact but one that will keep us in this league for another year I fear.

I will keep the faith until it is mathematically impossible but we need a miracle to get to the play offs this year.
BW, I said we were left weaker in our midfield cover after letting the midfielder leave for Charlton. We brought in two young players , and they do what young players do, play inconsistently. We let the only decent cover for Morsy go out on loan, ( El Mizouni). And as you say Carroll is not the answer. He has no physical presence, especially in League One.

But it was always going to be a big ask to win promotion this season with a completely new set up from top to bottom. It’s coming together now as I’d expected. The summer will be interesting to see who KcK wants here. Strikers are top of the list closely followed by left sided players to achieve what McK wants his sides to do. We’re lop sided at present and it puts a lot of b pressure I think, on Burns and Donacian to produce the goods down the right.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:45 pm

They played for a point. We should have beaten them out the door.

I expressed my fears some weeks ago that the gap to reach the playoffs was too much given the numbers of teams above us and the number of teams with games in hand.

Even when picking up recent wins the dynamics of those facts did not really change. I thought we would run out of road and, today, I think we finally did.

On a positive note, I think McKenna has worked wonders with the team. With some new players of his choosing, and a full pre-season at the end of the Summer, I am really confident we will destroy this league next season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:46 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:03 pm
Not understanding how we don't score many goals from corners either. We get so many
Our defenders are nowhere to be seen in terms of effective challenges for the ball.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:53 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:22 pm
Well, roll: I think we should still give Simpson a chance up front as has been proved we ain't got it up top, we struggle big time and we need a player like Tyreese's strength and robust play to bust open this stalemate situation, K Mc can then plan who goes the best partner with Simpson, we cannot go up against our promotion challengers lightweight. aggression is what's needed Keiran, no pussy footing around KM now its time to get serious :x and take the gamble NOW
Simpson has an injury at the moment and Idris also has a knock so was not in the 18 today.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:07 pm

Oh well that’s another in form player out for God knows how long then. Jackson has “ a significant hamstring injury”(McKenna).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:57 am

So annoyed to see our goal was incorrectly ruled offside as no way did Woolfy touch the bloody thing ffs. Robbed

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:51 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:45 pm

I expressed my fears some weeks ago that the gap to reach the playoffs was too much given the numbers of teams above us and the number of teams with games in hand.

Even when picking up recent wins the dynamics of those facts did not really change. I thought we would run out of road and, today, I think we finally did.

On a positive note, I think McKenna has worked wonders with the team. With some new players of his choosing, and a full pre-season at the end of the Summer, I am really confident we will destroy this league next season.
Agree with all of that but destroy the league next season might not be a given. Leeds Unt thought that for a number of seasons. Still plenty of good teams in the mix next season. Good progress under McKenna though and hopefully next season Town finally get out of League One.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:14 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:51 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:45 pm

Agree with all of that but destroy the league next season might not be a given. Leeds Unt thought that for a number of seasons. Still plenty of good teams in the mix next season. Good progress under McKenna though and hopefully next season Town finally get out of League One.
Have to agree, as we have already found out since we came down this league is not easy to get out of and I have no doubt next year will be just as hard. Yes we are improving under McKenna and hopefully this will continue not just for the rest of this season but into next as well. Will still be some big clubs in this division as well as others who have been challenging this year.