League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the run going?

Town Win
54%
Pompey Win
31%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 13

Tangfastic

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:07 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:14 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:51 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:45 pm
They played for a point. We should have beaten them out the door.

I expressed my fears some weeks ago that the gap to reach the playoffs was too much given the numbers of teams above us and the number of teams with games in hand.

Even when picking up recent wins the dynamics of those facts did not really change. I thought we would run out of road and, today, I think we finally did.

On a positive note, I think McKenna has worked wonders with the team. With some new players of his choosing, and a full pre-season at the end of the Summer, I am really confident we will destroy this league next season.
Agree with all of that but destroy the league next season might not be a given. Leeds Unt thought that for a number of seasons. Still plenty of good teams in the mix next season. Good progress under McKenna though and hopefully next season Town finally get out of League One.
Have to agree, as we have already found out since we came down this league is not easy to get out of and I have no doubt next year will be just as hard. Yes we are improving under McKenna and hopefully this will continue not just for the rest of this season but into next as well. Will still be some big clubs in this division as well as others who have been challenging this year.
Agreed. For us to win the league we’re going to have to keep on improving. I’m more confident we can get top six, but we still struggle to beat sides above us (only Wycombe) and can’t win 3 in a row. For us to get top two we have to start doing that. And we sh*t our pants as soon as someone like Morsy gets injured. It doesn’t take much for the belief to disappear. some of our fans may appear bullish on the surface, but a couple of injuries and it’s immediately doom and gloom. Doesn’t give out the feeling of confidence. 2-3 good signings in the summer needed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:15 pm

I think this can all Change if we get dome real decent drivers in over the summer. No easy task of course. But that’s what’s missing .

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:27 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:15 pm
I think this can all Change if we get dome real decent drivers in over the summer. No easy task of course. But that’s what’s missing .
“Real decent drivers in over the summer”.
As long as they are not women we should be ok. :lol:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
What? Please explain. Who do you want Lewis Hamilton, Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill or Jenson Button?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:20 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:27 pm
hallamblue wrote:
“Real decent drivers in over the summer”.
As long as they are not women we should be ok. :lol:
:lol: 👍

I’ll add…….. fans will be praying KMcK can do it this season or next because slumping any lower into L2 territory……. The drivers required to find those grounds will be hard to come by. Even the satnavs are like, “🤷‍♂️Err, fk knows, mate!”

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:28 am

Nine games without defeat I think it is, something you could not possibly had envisaged before McKenna came on board or going back a few months.

Would have been another win too if not for some stupid-as* decision to chalk off what appeared a legitimate goal with time running out. Either someone messed up or the guilty just didn't witness the incident properly to award what should have been. It's frustrating but you can't change what occurred, get any and all expletives out the way then move on. As it is - or were - for a game of such magnitude the draw goes a long way to screwing up both teams ambitions and hopes for what remains of the season.

Bras and Panties nonsense with Cowley and McKenna on the touchline, guess with the stakes involved and the need for victory for both team and managers the propensity was there for tempers to fray and key / unsavory moments to arise. A very good crowd also, people coming back to Portman Road after the sh*t that went before. It's just too bad the team couldn't get / were denied a victory that could (have) prove so instrumental in the time remaining.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:18 am

hallamblue wrote:
Assuming you mean strikers.

Yes, we need to upgrade a bit on the striker situation, but I think we need that extra bit of steel in our side. We play nice, possession football, but there’s times we need to grind out a victory in an ugly way.
As Rossi says - we need to get more goals from set-pieces and improve with our crosses. It’s not simply the case of changing the strikers. Do we create enough clear-cut chances? We seem to work so hard to create chances and score goals, yet they’re sides out there who score more freely. Do they play as much attractive football as us? Doubt it. I can’t knock our players on Saturday as I felt everyone gave everything over the course of the game, but an organised defence can shut us out. There’s teams out there whose strategy is to score from set-pieces. We should learn from them, instead of knock them. A team like Rotherham knows this division and how to get out of it. Love what McKenna is doing but we’re going to have to add more to our game to be top two next season. Let’s not assume that the improvements under McKenna will continue. It might just plateau out and we’re just an attractive top six team who rarely lose/don’t concede, but can’t break down and steam-roller teams to get us into the top two. Enjoying the football and really like this group of players, but I think we’re going to have to add a bit more toughness and ruthlessness to the team next season. Teams look at us and aim to be 0-0 at HT and frustrate us.
Not a moan, but even though we’ve improved a lot, we’re still not a top two team.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:14 am

Hi Tang , lol , yes I did mean “ strikers”… it’s predicted text that catches me out as it puts its own word in after I’ve hit enter and I don’t notice it!! My friends laugh at my texting - frustrates the pants off me. I once text a friend ( when on a trip back home and I’d stopped in a motorways services), that I was having a quick pee and a coffee. It came out as a “I’m having a quick pee and a perv” :lol: …. They haven’t let me forget it either !

Back to Town :

Totally agree re more steel in the side. We need another Morsy type (without the poor discipline). We need a Tommy Smith/ De Vos type of threat in the box at set pieces - why aren’t Edmundson and Woolfie getting on the end of corners ? We need better dead ball takers - the quality of crosses either at dead ball or during passage of play is general very poor. In fact the best crosser of the ball in open , (Jackson) went off injured before half time on Saturday . Who knows if he’s even likely to return gif the rest of the season. I personally doubt it.

Town on the pitch has been transformed by McKenna and his coaches. Cook brought these players in but didn’t know how to get the best out of them- McKenna does. I think he’ll add the missing elements in the summer and a few of this squad will leave. The current players have had a lot to learn since McKenna came in , and indeed since they came to the club as an en bloc new squad . So disappointing though it is to just miss out on the top 6, it’s not a surprise to me, because it was too much to expect I feel .

Next season won’t be easy but we will I feel be s top two side . You won’t get a ticket easily for most of our games . Personally, I can’t wait. One of the must important things the owners could do this summer is secure McKenna on a much longer contract. I’m have no doubts he will be sought after now , and I’m sure the Club will expect the vultures to descend too, but unlike under the Evans era , I feel we will already be planning for
this.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:14 am
Hi Tang , lol , yes I did mean “ strikers”… it’s predicted text that catches me out as it puts its own word in after I’ve hit enter and I don’t notice it!! My friends laugh at my texting - frustrates the pants off me. I once text a friend ( when on a trip back home and I’d stopped in a motorways services), that I was having a quick pee and a coffee. It came out as a “I’m having a quick pee and a perv” :lol: …. They haven’t let me forget it either !

Back to Town :

Totally agree re more steel in the side. We need another Morsy type (without the poor discipline). We need a Tommy Smith/ De Vos type of threat in the box at set pieces - why aren’t Edmundson and Woolfie getting on the end of corners ? We need better dead ball takers - the quality of crosses either at dead ball or during passage of play is general very poor. In fact the best crosser of the ball in open , (Jackson) went off injured before half time on Saturday . Who knows if he’s even likely to return gif the rest of the season. I personally doubt it.

Town on the pitch has been transformed by McKenna and his coaches. Cook brought these players in but didn’t know how to get the best out of them- McKenna does. I think he’ll add the missing elements in the summer and a few of this squad will leave. The current players have had a lot to learn since McKenna came in , and indeed since they came to the club as an en bloc new squad . So disappointing though it is to just miss out on the top 6, it’s not a surprise to me, because it was too much to expect I feel .

Next season won’t be easy but we will I feel be s top two side . You won’t get a ticket easily for most of our games . Personally, I can’t wait. One of the must important things the owners could do this summer is secure McKenna on a much longer contract. I’m have no doubts he will be sought after now , and I’m sure the Club will expect the vultures to descend too, but unlike under the Evans era , I feel we will already be planning for
this.
I agree but if McKenna gets an offer from a top side he will be gone. Ipswich is most likely a stepping stone for McKenna but hopefully he does enough in his time at PR to at least get the club back to Championship level.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:02 am

At the moment, in real terms……. He’s done nowt yet. All he’s done is had a very respectable start to his managerial career, (which is great). If that is tactical nous and technical genius then even better.
But Ipswich Town (the club) will definitely need to rise out of this league before bigger clubs take notice of KMcK. Surely? (Cue Airplane! quote)
Even getting to a play-off final but losing wouldn't attract a bigger club. May be way off the mark and wrong but he’s a young guy and started well, but still more to prove yet.
Like MacBonne was going to be off back to QPR before being sold on to Chelski for £568 million rubles. (Well, 🤷‍♂️, maybe not now right enough) ……, but the starting awesome and turning to sh*t scenario is something Ipswich (& Hibs) fans should know all too well and be aware of it.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:13 am

I think KMC is already on a 3.5 year deal?

I suspect he might leave if a top level championship club come calling who are likely candidates for promotion - otherwise he has everything he needs here to be the big fish in league one and then get a sizeable budget to attack the championship.

The guy has done wonders so far and without really his own summer transfer window and pre season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:58 am

We haven’t been concerned about our manager being poached since……erm….. Paul Lambert.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:31 am

Marko is right, he's done nothing yet in the grand scheme of things, I doubt it's raised so much as a ripple outside of Suffolk.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:31 am
Marko is right, he's done nothing yet in the grand scheme of things, I doubt it's raised so much as a ripple outside of Suffolk.
I dunno I think there's probably a lot of folks keeping their eyes on KM, especially with his ManU background.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:15 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I dunno I think there's probably a lot of folks keeping their eyes on KM, especially with his ManU background.
Agreed. I think he’ll get us up next year. If then, we’re in and around the top six, and big clubs in the prem are in need of a jump-start, he might start getting some very attractive offers…

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:30 am

Thing is McKenna is head and shoulders above anything we’ve had at this club in over 2 decades . But that’s more a reflection on this club than McKenna. Maybe this is what good championship / PL managers are really like . He’ll stand out at div three level .

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:08 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:15 am
number 9 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Agreed. I think he’ll get us up next year. If then, we’re in and around the top six, and big clubs in the prem are in need of a jump-start, he might start getting some very attractive offers…
I think the prem clubs are fairly reluctant to recruit managers from any championship club, usually they go abroad or a manager with Prem experience. Of course maybe Watford will have run out of all other possibilities by then though :)