League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the hopes alive?

Oxford Win
39%
Ipswich Win
17%
Draw
44%

Total votes: 18

MasseyFerguson

Re: League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:15 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:46 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:31 pm
Jesus christ, if people can't see the vast difference from what we were to what we are now i despair, unbeaten in Ten, numerous clean sheets, far better football etc, cast your minds back ffs, no wonder Town fans are never bloody happy, always looking for the negatives. I really can't be arsed to keep reading it at times, does my head in frankly
Wow. :D

You go from 0 to 10 in a second. I’d hate to think how you’d react if there was some real criticism.

We’re never going to get out of this league if we don’t improve. Hardly any criticism of the club, the players and especially the manager…. just outlining we draw a few too many, can’t get on that 3 game winning run and can’t beat a top side. Everyone can see the difference McK has made, but next season we need to be better. If you think we’ve got there already - you’re wrong. Work in progress.
I don't see how anyone could reasonably argue with any of that.

KMcK has been excellent for us but it is a work in progress. I have no doubt that we WILL be better next season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:23 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Jesus christ, if people can't see the vast difference from what we were to what we are now i despair, unbeaten in Ten, numerous clean sheets, far better football etc, cast your minds back ffs, no wonder Town fans are never bloody happy, always looking for the negatives. I really can't be arsed to keep reading it at times, does my head in frankly

You go from 0 to 10 in a second. I’d hate to think how you’d react if there was some real criticism.

We’re never going to get out of this league if we don’t improve. Hardly any criticism of the club, the players and especially the manager…. just outlining we draw a few too many, can’t get on that 3 game winning run and can’t beat a top side. Everyone can see the difference McK has made, but next season we need to be better. If you think we’ve got there already - you’re wrong. Work in progress.
Sorry, ignore me, bad day and shouldn't be posting atm. I will comment when more rational (never then) lol

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:23 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Sorry, ignore me, bad day and shouldn't be posting atm. I will comment when more rational (never then) lol
Don't apolgise for speaking the truth! 💙

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:38 pm

Current form table has us in 11th place over past 6 matches so no surprise we have drifted off the pace.

So far I have been impressed with McK, if he can improve the striking options over the summer I think we will be hard to stop next season.

Like Tang, I agree regarding the draws. Its always a fine line between taking the point versus throwing caution to the wind.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:08 am

For the last time - it's not the strikers that is the issue, it's the supply. Any striker at this level can stick the ball away regularly (well, maybe apart from Dobbin) as long as he is supplied regularly.

And I don't accept that the one thing Cook got right was the squad he assembled - it's a decent squad but not a League-winning squad because it's disjointed and lacking in consistency and quality.

KM has done a great job with the squad that Cook put together but couldn't do anything with, but even if Cook had of been sacked when he should have been (and thus KM given a few more games), I doubt the outcome would have been any different because of the deficiencies in the squad.

I'm sure that KM already knows what is needed and will address that in the summer, so that next season we will have a squad capable at least of making the play-offs. I hope so, because next season will be my last in the UK, and after that I'll be reduced to watching on i-player from afar.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am

So, ……. Just one more time……. You’re saying its NOT the strikers then? 🤔🤷‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:04 am

rossi wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:08 am
For the last time - it's not the strikers that is the issue, it's the supply. Any striker at this level can stick the ball away regularly (well, maybe apart from Dobbin) as long as he is supplied regularly.

And I don't accept that the one thing Cook got right was the squad he assembled - it's a decent squad but not a League-winning squad because it's disjointed and lacking in consistency and quality.

KM has done a great job with the squad that Cook put together but couldn't do anything with, but even if Cook had of been sacked when he should have been (and thus KM given a few more games), I doubt the outcome would have been any different because of the deficiencies in the squad.

I'm sure that KM already knows what is needed and will address that in the summer, so that next season we will have a squad capable at least of making the play-offs. I hope so, because next season will be my last in the UK, and after that I'll be reduced to watching on i-player from afar.
Here here

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:48 pm

rossi wrote:
Hey rossi, do you think the strikers were getting better balls when Cook was in charge?...and why?

Also, if you don't mind me asking where are you moving to mate?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:52 pm

If it’s not the strikers but the supply that’s the issue, why then has Bonne missed sitters on the goal line 2-3 times this season , plus countless others,( usually 1 on 1’s) or Pigott hitting the woodwork 4 times, Burns blasting over, Chaplin losing possession on the edge of the box instead of shooting, Norwood hitting four goals in four games then appearing to losing interest…. That’s not a supply issue, it’s basic ability to stick the ball in the net. These countless misses have in the main been within the 6yard area!

Sorry Gary, I’m not agreeing with you on this as the main issue. We need better strikers and a decent left side of the pitch 👍

Ps “ good luck” in the Far East munchkin x

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:12 am

That's the only part I'm not sure i agree with too, I think our strikers have left a lot to be desired in recent weeks, like watching Four Freddie Sears 😱😱

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:18 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:52 pm
If it’s not the strikers but the supply that’s the issue, why then has Bonne missed sitters on the goal line 2-3 times this season , plus countless others,( usually 1 on 1’s) or Pigott hitting the woodwork 4 times, Burns blasting over, Chaplin losing possession on the edge of the box instead of shooting, Norwood hitting four goals in four games then appearing to losing interest…. That’s not a supply issue, it’s basic ability to stick the ball in the net. These countless misses have in the main been within the 6yard area!

Sorry Gary, I’m not agreeing with you on this as the main issue. We need better strikers and a decent left side of the pitch 👍

Well I think we’ll change strikers this summer so the strikers are part of the problem. Could be a combination of a number of other things. Opposition working us out. The way we play - do we create enough clear-cut chances? We often get space on the right to cross, but more often than not the defence cuts out the crosses. How often do we cross before we get the perfect cross like we did for Celina on Saturday? Not enough penetration down that left side. Maybe too much reliance on the right-hand side. Not making more use of set-pieces. I think we’ll have to add more variety to our game apart from the strikers.
We’ve got a solid defensive base to work from so it could just be a bit of tweaking and an astute couple of signings needed.
Be interesting to see what happens with the strikers this summer. Jackson went from out of the picture to first-choice striker because he could run the channels, but I wouldn’t want us to rely on him for goals.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:08 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:52 pm

There's a really simple answer to this, Liz. Currently the strikers are under pressure because they get so few quality balls in the course of a game, so they are snatching at the few chances they do get. Apart from Dobbin (who couldn't hit a stable door from 5 yards), they have all had periods this season when they were scoring freely. One of them might have a drop in form during the season, but it's hardly likely that all of therm would have a drop in form at the same time.
So you have to look for other reasons. Under Cook, we played a lot more basic style of football with a lot more hopeful balls pumped up-field, but some of those hopeful balls found the target. Under KM, the approach play is 500% better on the eye, but we seemingly do not have the quality to deliver the final ball. And our corner taking is woeful - for example, I would say that 99% of the corners that Chaplin has taken have hit the first defender - if he can't do better than that then he should not be taking them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:11 am

Only 500% ??? KM OUT !!!!!

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:13 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:48 pm
rossi wrote:
Hey rossi, do you think the strikers were getting better balls when Cook was in charge?...and why?

See my reply to Liz for the answer to your first question, 9 - I think that under Cook we played a lot more basic style that involved a fair bit of pumping hopeful long balls up the pitch, quite a few of which found the target. Whilst our approach play under KM is so much better we do not appear to have the quality to deliver the decent final ball.

And next year I'm retiring and moving to the Philippines, which has been my plan for the last 10 years.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:01 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:13 am
number 9 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:48 pm
rossi wrote:

See my reply to Liz for the answer to your first question, 9 - I think that under Cook we played a lot more basic style that involved a fair bit of pumping hopeful long balls up the pitch, quite a few of which found the target. Whilst our approach play under KM is so much better we do not appear to have the quality to deliver the decent final ball.

And next year I'm retiring and moving to the Philippines, which has been my plan for the last 10 years.
Nice one Rossi, enjoy your retirement in the Philippines it will certainly be different and hopefully better to life in Blighty. Not sure about Futbol over there but there’s always basketball which I think is their national sport. I’m sure you’ll still follow Ipswich from afar, once a Tractor Boy always a Tractor Boy and so much easier now with ifollow.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:26 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:16 am
Basketball? Not wanting to generalise, but aren't a lot of Phillipinos really short?
The native Filipinos (Tagalog, Malay, Pinay) are mainly short, but over the past 3 centuries most Filipinos paired of with Spanish and Americans, so there are as many tall ones now as short. In any case, they set their baskets much lower than in the US.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:25 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:13 am

Sweet on the Philippines retirement! The cost of living there is pretty cheap, isn't it?

The thing is, as hallam referred to the strikers have been missing open chances. I would not be surprised if our striker force is completely different next season.

Good luck in PH!

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:43 pm

From the recent games I’ve seen I would lean on the side of the strikers /attackers not taking the chances - I’ve seen many good chances missed. If your score earlier in the game you’ll likely find the supply improved after that as the other team has to be more attacking and it opens up more space, so many it’s kind of linked.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:39 am

I still say KM must try Simpson up top as all the others are firing blanks I just want to see a change from the also-rans, defence and midfield are fine we just need to give the lad chance NOW

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:11 am

Not gonna happen Ash.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:32 pm

Frosty wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:15 am
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:46 am
Frosty wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:17 pm

Actually Mendipblue I notice you seem to enjoy putting down some long standing posters on here recently.

So if you want to stay posting here I suggest toning it down a bit.
Are you serious? I was reacting to Saint Jude saying the play off thread (which I started) being nauseating. So it is OK for long standing posters to be condescending but new kids aren't allowed to say f*ck all. Wow, nice site your running here. Also you said "long standing posters". Who are you referring to? I have not been deogertry to anyone intentionally. As for being accused of having a "d*ck side" by Mark is that OK as well? Comments far worse than I have said. Maybe I'm new and don't understand you have to be a long standing poster to say anything you want without retribution?

Further example when it's clearly a predictive text issue:
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:05 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:15 pm
I think this can all Change if we get dome real decent drivers in over the summer. No easy task of course. But that’s what’s missing .
What? Please explain. Who do you want Lewis Hamilton, Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill or Jenson Button?
An earlier comment with a strange emoji toward SJ:
mendipblue wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:03 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:34 pm

I guess I could have Google’d that myself or even read Saint’s previous post but sometimes it’s nice just to try remember from simply being there on the day it happened.
I'm definitely remembering I don't need "google" . Town memories are Town memories. As for saint I really could not comment 🥺

I will also add that the three other moderators have noticed your posts and have some concerns of your motives, so I would reiterate to you to please refrain from posting comments that serve little point, or could indeed be taken as inflammatory.
The drivers thing is clearly a joke...wow and the Google thing was putting a right a accusation that I had Google’d the scorers of the 6-0 Man Utd game, which I didn't and remember quite clearly. Really terrible things I did there. Unbelievable.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:49 pm

That you, Derick? COME ON!! That IS you, eh? :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:16 am

Of course it’s him . Same mindset and posting style. Thought he was banned for life ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:54 am

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/very- ... e-verdict/

Not sure how credible this is, but Brandon Thomas-Asante looks like a decent replacement for a striker?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:10 am

Underperformed for the last Two seasons? That's the comment that bothers me.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:03 pm

He’s scored 9 goals (3 of them in one game) this season. Our own young striker, Simpson has scored 12 goals plus whatever he’s scored since his return to the Club .

I know it’s only an article … but I raises the question again , “why not take a chance on our own players”?

Wonder how the two players compare on Ashton’s data matrix analysis thingy ? :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:03 pm
He’s scored 9 goals (3 of them in one game) this season. Our own young striker, Simpson has scored 12 goals plus whatever he’s scored since his return to the Club .

I know it’s only an article … but I raises the question again , “why not take a chance on our own players”?

Wonder how the two players compare on Ashton’s data matrix analysis thingy ? :lol:
I’d like to see Simpson given a chance too, but t I don’t think that’s gonna happen.