League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the hopes alive?

Oxford Win
39%
Ipswich Win
17%
Draw
44%

Total votes: 18

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:53 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:04 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:56 pm
10 f**king seconds from full time
Who was at Fault BM ?????
Hey Ash I’ve not seen a replay of the goal yet but in real time I thought Burgess could have done better than he did. He was the closest player to the scorer but wasn’t watching the ball and hence was caught flat footed to the ground when he should have been challenging for the ball with the scorer. I may be wrong but that’s how I saw it at the time. So so disappointing, we really didn’t deserve that today. ☹️

That said Oxford must be the leagues top scorers in added time, I’m sure I heard in commentary that todays late goal was their 10th or 11th in added time this season.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:06 am

A crying shame! It’s not over till the fat lady sings, but the playoffs would be a miracle now.

But we’ve not been out-thought, out-played or out-fought by anyone under McK and I don’t thInk we will next season either.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:46 am

Frosty wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:17 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:19 am
saint jude wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:30 pm
Voted for them to win. Long before any play off thread / issue reached stage nausea put the Oxford trip down as a zero pointer. Same goes with Rotherham further up the track but you tackle obstacles as you find them.

Would be great to reach 10 League fixtures unbeaten, something that happened here last I don't recall when, but this should or will be, a tough contest. Any chance of a top six finish will be dented with a loss but in no way irretrievable with games remaining.

As an aside noticed today would have been Rob Cook's Birthday. The passing still leaves a void and (take the opportunity to provide thought and) respect to the family.

Oxford United 1 ITFC 0
Speaking of "Nausea" how is the atmosphere on planet Zog and is your inner spider making you feel sickly. 🤮

Actually Mendipblue I notice you seem to enjoy putting down some long standing posters on here recently.

So if you want to stay posting here I suggest toning it down a bit.
Are you serious? I was reacting to Saint Jude saying the play off thread (which I started) being nauseating. So it is OK for long standing posters to be condescending but new kids aren't allowed to say f*ck all. Wow, nice site your running here. Also you said "long standing posters". Who are you referring to? I have not been deogertry to anyone intentionally. As for being accused of having a "d*ck side" by Mark is that OK as well? Comments far worse than I have said. Maybe I'm new and don't understand you have to be a long standing poster to say anything you want without retribution?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:52 am

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:46 am
Frosty wrote:
mendipblue wrote:

Speaking of "Nausea" how is the atmosphere on planet Zog and is your inner spider making you feel sickly. 🤮

Actually Mendipblue I notice you seem to enjoy putting down some long standing posters on here recently.

Are you serious? I was reacting to Saint Jude saying the play off thread (which I started) being nauseating. So it is OK for long standing posters to be condescending but new kids aren't allowed to say f*ck all. Wow, nice site your running here. Also you said "long standing posters". Who are you referring to? I have not been deogertry to anyone intentionally. As for being accused of having a "d*ck side" by Mark is that OK as well? Comments far worse than I have said. Maybe I'm new and don't understand you have to be a long standing poster to say anything you want without retribution?
:lol:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:15 am

mendipblue wrote:
Frosty wrote:
mendipblue wrote:

Further example when it's clearly a predictive text issue:
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:05 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:15 pm
I think this can all Change if we get dome real decent drivers in over the summer. No easy task of course. But that’s what’s missing .
What? Please explain. Who do you want Lewis Hamilton, Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill or Jenson Button?
An earlier comment with a strange emoji toward SJ:
mendipblue wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:03 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:34 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:18 pm

You ask the question so I will give you the answer. 2 penalties 1 twice taken by Beattie the other missed by Thijssen. 👍

I guess I could have Google’d that myself or even read Saint’s previous post but sometimes it’s nice just to try remember from simply being there on the day it happened.
I'm definitely remembering I don't need "google" . Town memories are Town memories. As for saint I really could not comment 🥺

I will also add that the three other moderators have noticed your posts and have some concerns of your motives, so I would reiterate to you to please refrain from posting comments that serve little point, or could indeed be taken as inflammatory.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:43 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:53 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:56 pm
10 f**king seconds from full time
Hey Ash I’ve not seen a replay of the goal yet but in real time I thought Burgess could have done better than he did. He was the closest player to the scorer but wasn’t watching the ball and hence was caught flat footed to the ground when he should have been challenging for the ball with the scorer. I may be wrong but that’s how I saw it at the time. So so disappointing, we really didn’t deserve that today. ☹️

That said Oxford must be the leagues top scorers in added time, I’m sure I heard in commentary that todays late goal was their 10th or 11th in added time this season.
You are correct Andy, it was indeed Burgess but not what I would consider an error and culpable for the goal, just one of those things for me.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:59 am

Have to say it is a long time since I’ve enjoyed an away game like I did yesterday. Yes it was sickening to concede right at the end but I still came away from the ground feeling so positive about the future. The support yesterday was fantastic and it appeared that all the fans were 100% behind the team.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:27 am

Did you stand down near front of stand Tony. ? I thought I saw you on tv ! :wink:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:38 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:27 am
Did you stand down near front of stand Tony. ? I thought I saw you on tv ! :wink:
Probably the sun reflecting off my bald head! :lol: No I was about halfway up the stand, the other two were down near the front.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:43 am
Charnwood wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:

You are correct Andy, it was indeed Burgess but not what I would consider an error and culpable for the goal, just one of those things for me.

I’ve just seen it again on a short clip of their goal and I think he’ll be pretty disappointed with himself and almost certainly see it as an error. Defending a last minute corner needs complete concentration whereas he was completely caught out and left their guy with a free header. Other than that he had a good game but that error was so costly and shouldn’t have happened.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:20 pm

Absolute frustration to concede when we did. Seconds away from a standout victory but on paper at least it represents a fine score that many would have accepted before start of contest.

Must be eleven league games unbeaten now, possibly only ten, but the fact remains with the new manager we've really turned a corner. In no way would this run have come to pass with any team coach we've had in recent time. Fear is he may be tempted away in the summer by a more lucrative offer but cross that bridge when we find it.

Think its six points outside the playoff zone with games running out. It can be done, we got the form and belief to achieve something but one last time McKenna and the improvement came too late in a season. By way of that, unfortunately feel we're just going to fall short. You can feel a certain pride in being a fan here once again whether we make it or not.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:30 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:17 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

I’ve just seen it again on a short clip of their goal and I think he’ll be pretty disappointed with himself and almost certainly see it as an error. Defending a last minute corner needs complete concentration whereas he was completely caught out and left their guy with a free header. Other than that he had a good game but that error was so costly and shouldn’t have happened.
Yep, just watched it again a couple of times and Burgess probably does feel disappointed with himself, was just slow to react, very costly lapse.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:30 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:17 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I’ve just seen it again on a short clip of their goal and I think he’ll be pretty disappointed with himself and almost certainly see it as an error. Defending a last-minute corner needs complete concentration whereas he was completely caught out and left their guy with a free header. Other than that he had a good game but that error was so costly and shouldn’t have happened.
Yep, just watched it again a couple of times and Burgess probably does feel disappointed with himself, was just slow to react, very costly lapse.
I just hope Burgess learns a lesson here you just cannot switch off, solid concentration until the whistle blows, now we have to blow away Plymouth give them a right stuffing, and this match would be ideal for Simpson to be given a chance to show his worth :D if he's fit ???

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:18 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Frosty wrote:
mendipblue wrote:

I'm a relatively new poster here and I have noticed a few of your posts that I think were unecessarily snarky. I suspect you were trying you be funny but humour doesn't always translate well.

Having said that, I do think there us a little bit of an issue with long standing posters being given a lot of leeway. There was another newish poster, I can't remember the name, who left the site a few months ago for highlighting some inappropriate posts by long time members. Instead of his observations being taken seriously he was belittled and he left.

I enjoy the site but new blood should always be welcomed for the site to thrive.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:37 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:02 pm
One bit of good news is Celina is set to stay at Town for next season :D
Where did you see this? I heard he was keen on staying but I thought a deal might be tricky as I thought he was on decent wages (upto 20k a week perhaps!?). I believe he was in contract for another 2 years also.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:56 pm

He said it this week just gone shabba….. which considering how he’s playing now is really good news.

Here….

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -come-back

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:59 pm

Ah I read that as he wants to stay, but the club hasn’t agreed anything and doing that could prove a challenge I’d be up for him staying - as you say he is a regular now and I think he has that bit of star quality.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:03 pm

shabba wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:37 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:02 pm
One bit of good news is Celina is set to stay at Town for next season :D
Where did you see this? I heard he was keen on staying but I thought a deal might be tricky as I thought he was on decent wages (upto 20k a week perhaps!?). I believe he was in contract for another 2 years also.
Obviously his parent club would have to agree to another loan, but I’d love to see him back. He can be an exciting player and scores critical goals.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:09 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:18 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Frosty wrote:

I'm a relatively new poster here and I have noticed a few of your posts that I think were unecessarily snarky. I suspect you were trying you be funny but humour doesn't always translate well.

Having said that, I do think there us a little bit of an issue with long standing posters being given a lot of leeway. There was another newish poster, I can't remember the name, who left the site a few months ago for highlighting some inappropriate posts by long time members. Instead of his observations being taken seriously he was belittled and he left.

I enjoy the site but new blood should always be welcomed for the site to thrive.
I think many of us have been guilty of using the wrong tone or being perceived that way. It takes a lot to upset me, so I try not to take things too personally. We are all human, and we have real lives. However I agree there is certainly no room for regular antagonism from any members.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:13 pm

From EADT….

Robinson was also critical of his side's spurned opportunities.

“The first half, we missed two one-on-ones, we had Gavin’s volley from 10 yards out, Willo’s [Ryan Williams] shot from six yards – four what I would class as good opportunities to score," the Oxford boss told the Oxford Mail.

“Then all of a sudden second half, they were brilliant and were all over us.”

Funny that Karl, it matched exactly the double substitution of Bonne and Morsy …you couldn’t live with us after that.

I have no idea how Oxford are in that top six. I’ve not been impressed with at all this season. Their biggest game plan appears to be time wasting and feigning injury ….

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:16 am

Thats two managers who’s opinions are of high regard who’ve said Ipswich were different class. Can only be a huge positive for next season with whoever KMcK signs ———>> seems he gets the respect from his players (and will from other players) . You can just tell he does and he will. He’s listenable in interviews. No bullshit football cliches.
Watch any KMcK post match interview, then go watch a cliche ridden, phantom voices, bullshit laden Paul Lambert one. Night and day. Refreshing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:29 am

Yep Hurst, Lambert & Cook all spouted sh*te.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:33 am

Agreed, although Hurst & Cook weren’t given enough time to promote themselves into Lamberts level of wind & pish.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:37 pm

Whilst it’s easy to point the finger at Cook and say, it’s all his fault. Whilst under McKenna we have undoubtedly become more “easy in the eye” to watch . A division three Brazil if you will, but that should not detract from the same problem the team displayed under Cook. Namely our complete inability to finish teams off .

We have drawn far too many games under McKenna that we should have won, Saturday being just the latest example . The cause is never simple but often a combination of factors. A combination I think we can all identify on here. Here’s hoping McK can get those final pieces of the jigsaw in place over the summer and next season will hopefully be ours as they say .
Onwards and upwards ….

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:12 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:37 pm
Whilst it’s easy to point the finger at Cook and say, it’s all his fault. Whilst under McKenna we have undoubtedly become more “easy in the eye” to watch . A division three Brazil if you will, but that should not detract from the same problem the team displayed under Cook. Namely our complete inability to finish teams off .

We have drawn far too many games under McKenna that we should have won, Saturday being just the latest example . The cause is never simple but often a combination of factors. A combination I think we can all identify on here. Here’s hoping McK can get those final pieces of the jigsaw in place over the summer and next season will hopefully be ours as they say .
Onwards and upwards ….
Yes, very true hallam. Too many draws have been our nemesis under KM, even though we've improved immensely. It says to me the issue is more with the players rather than the manager. I have faith KM and (your fav person :lol:) will find the right players to take us forward next season. God I hope so anyway! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:45 pm

The difference is we are failing to win games due to the odd player error, whether it be a defender not defending a corner or a striker fluffing a chance, as opposed to losing games and leads due to Cooks undoubted incompetence, chalk and cheese for me, especially as KM is working with what he inherited where as Cook signed them all !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:45 pm
The difference is we are failing to win games due to the odd player error, whether it be a defender not defending a corner or a striker fluffing a chance, as opposed to losing games and leads due to Cooks undoubted incompetence, chalk and cheese for me, especially as KM is working with what he inherited where as Cook signed them all !
No criticism, Mike, but we are drawing too many matches. It’s more than just fluffing chances. In the first half, Oxford fluffed quite a few themselves. We could have been out of it at half-time. And they scored from a corner, whereas we don’t look likely too. Things to work on. We’re working our nuts off to score the perfect goal, but I wouldn’t mind a few ugly ones from set-pieces.
And I think McK benefitted from inheriting a Cook squad, because that’s one thing Cook got right. He Brought in some very good signings along with some odd ones that didn’t fit (we’ll blame those on Ashton). McK just got more out of that squad than Cook.

If we’re difficult to beat. Fantastic. A good base to work from, but I would swap a little of that control and possession football for a little more goal threat. It could be McK’s got as much out of that squad from coaching as he can and it’ll need 2-3 extra faces in the summer to take us up that level or two. Could we re-hire Cookie as a recruitment consultant for a couple of months in the summer?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:31 pm

Jesus christ, if people can't see the vast difference from what we were to what we are now i despair, unbeaten in Ten, numerous clean sheets, far better football etc, cast your minds back ffs, no wonder Town fans are never bloody happy, always looking for the negatives. I really can't be arsed to keep reading it at times, does my head in frankly

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:31 pm
Jesus christ, if people can't see the vast difference from what we were to what we are now i despair, unbeaten in Ten, numerous clean sheets, far better football etc, cast your minds back ffs, no wonder Town fans are never bloody happy, always looking for the negatives. I really can't be arsed to keep reading it at times, does my head in frankly
Wow. :D

You go from 0 to 10 in a second. I’d hate to think how you’d react if there was some real criticism.

We’re never going to get out of this league if we don’t improve. Hardly any criticism of the club, the players and especially the manager…. just outlining we draw a few too many, can’t get on that 3 game winning run and can’t beat a top side. Everyone can see the difference McK has made, but next season we need to be better. If you think we’ve got there already - you’re wrong. Work in progress.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:35 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:12 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:37 pm

Onwards and upwards ….
Yes, very true hallam. Too many draws have been our nemesis under KM, even though we've improved immensely. It says to me the issue is more with the players rather than the manager. I have faith KM and (your fav person :lol:) will find the right players to take us forward next season. God I hope so anyway! :wink:
I don’t think the strikers have earned their corn this season tbh. Their job ultimately is to score goals - and they haven’t , and certainly not regularly enough . The rest of the team had come together well ( with one or two glitches still be ironed out ), but the strikers should be looking over their shoulders IMO.