Potentially a powerful football club - McKenna on Town

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Potentially a powerful football club - McKenna on Town

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:41 pm

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Potentially a powerful football club - McKenna on Town

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:29 pm

A great heading and an interesting read. For the first time for many years it finally feels like this football club could be going somewhere better.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:00 am

It can only go somewhere better once it's out of this division. Town aren't a Cup team, that much is evident, point being that only leaves League competition and we're not going to achieve much in League One. Promotion is critical : only after that can you properly plan ahead.

McKenna has instilled a sense of pride in the club name once again irrespective of league or division but after 20 years away from the EPL, and not being selfish, would really wish for a return back. I think Town being a say, "powerful club" at least on the field, left or went out with Sir Robson in '82, guess McKenna views his philosophy in present time in that we're arguably better than third league standard (since he came in) however one last time unfortunately for both himself, the fans, and the club name itself, we've left it too late in a season.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:39 am

We have had ups and downs for years now - mostly downs as we all know, so its really nice to be able to post that, whether we go up this season or not, we have our football club well and truly back. That is something that seemed impossible in recent years. Under Joe Royle, it was fun and we still had something of the swagger of a team who were potentially going up. We were fun to watch at least. - but then came the dark Evans years. Just remember how far we have come since then.

We drifted through managers, drifted down the league and lost loads of fans (old and new) along the way. The low point for me was under McCarthy when we were frankly boring and getting around 10k fans a week. That was so depressing. But worse was still to come... we went down further with Hurst (how excited I was that we were getting a young English manager!) and then Lambert finished the job to League 1...

Then came covid. Could it get worse? Yep - of course it could. The players stopped playing, the fans grew tired of their poor performances and we were all left bereft of hope. Then came Gamechanger - and boy have they changed the game!

I for one don't miss or lament the loss of Downes or Dozzell or Skuse or Sears or any of that squad to be honest. I am glad they have gone. What we have now is such a nice change. I look forward to games days ahead. I plan to have beers beforehand to build the excitement around a day out. I love the away days with loads of fans packing out small grounds I never dreamed of going to. I love seeing PR with over 20k every week and singing all game long. I love singing 'Kierons at the wheel' at the end of the game (far more than the old fist pump) and its great to see so many first time fans announced every week attending PR - more than 40 again yesterday alone. We have new screens, new sound system, new dugouts, new changing rooms and new facilities planned and on the pitch, we are ao good to watch much of the time. The Celina pass to Burns who stopped it dead mid air yesterday was sublime and brought a 'gasp' from the crowd - this is division 3 and our players can do that! Thats what I go to see and what made me start my love affair with football 50 odd years ago. I want my daughter, who has only seen is go downwards, to see us having some success too - and I am now sure she will - soon.

So - we may not go up this year and it may still be hard next year, but I for one am loving my relationship with our football club again and long may that continue.

Sorry for the ramble, but its so good to be able to write this about our great Club. Come On You Blues!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:24 am

THE best post on here in years Blue Wilf . Thank you for that ๐Ÿ‘

COYfBssssss

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:16 am

"Sorry for the ramble, but its so good to be able to write this about our great Club. Come On You Blues!!"

Trust me Blue Wilf, you keep writing posts like the above then you can keep rambling on for like Hallam said, that is one of the very best posts I have read also in years

Can't add anything more, well said and totally agree

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:16 am

Fantastic post blue wilf, suns it up so well. Itโ€™s exiting watching town now and most of the time the result will follow the performance.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:22 am

Echoing Hallam, Steve & Jo and Shabba, Wilf. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Great stuff, refreshing to read.

And โ€œKeirons at the wheelโ€โ€ฆ. :lol: would love to join in with that. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:04 am

Thanks for the kind words, all. Its just how I feel which is a good place to be ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ‘

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:43 am

Blue Wilf wrote: โ†‘
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:39 am
We have had ups and downs for years now - mostly downs as we all know, so its really nice to be able to post that, whether we go up this season or not, we have our football club well and truly back. That is something that seemed impossible in recent years. Under Joe Royle, it was fun and we still had something of the swagger of a team who were potentially going up. We were fun to watch at least. - but then came the dark Evans years. Just remember how far we have come since then.

We drifted through managers, drifted down the league and lost loads of fans (old and new) along the way. The low point for me was under McCarthy when we were frankly boring and getting around 10k fans a week. That was so depressing. But worse was still to come... we went down further with Hurst (how excited I was that we were getting a young English manager!) and then Lambert finished the job to League 1...

Then came covid. Could it get worse? Yep - of course it could. The players stopped playing, the fans grew tired of their poor performances and we were all left bereft of hope. Then came Gamechanger - and boy have they changed the game!

I for one don't miss or lament the loss of Downes or Dozzell or Skuse or Sears or any of that squad to be honest. I am glad they have gone. What we have now is such a nice change. I look forward to games days ahead. I plan to have beers beforehand to build the excitement around a day out. I love the away days with loads of fans packing out small grounds I never dreamed of going to. I love seeing PR with over 20k every week and singing all game long. I love singing 'Kierons at the wheel' at the end of the game (far more than the old fist pump) and its great to see so many first time fans announced every week attending PR - more than 40 again yesterday alone. We have new screens, new sound system, new dugouts, new changing rooms and new facilities planned and on the pitch, we are ao good to watch much of the time. The Celina pass to Burns who stopped it dead mid air yesterday was sublime and brought a 'gasp' from the crowd - this is division 3 and our players can do that! Thats what I go to see and what made me start my love affair with football 50 odd years ago. I want my daughter, who has only seen is go downwards, to see us having some success too - and I am now sure she will - soon.

So - we may not go up this year and it may still be hard next year, but I for one am loving my relationship with our football club again and long may that continue.

Sorry for the ramble, but its so good to be able to write this about our great Club. Come On You Blues!!
Fantastic post mate, and from the heart of a true Blue.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:17 am

Itโ€™s a thumbs up from me too Blue Wilf ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Brilliant. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:13 pm

Great ramble! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’™

kevkeates

Post by kevkeates » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:10 pm

Literally couldn't put it better myself!

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:07 pm

I dunno Wilf, I thought it was rubbish! :P

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: