League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Building for next season?

Shrewsbury Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
53%
Draw
47%

Total votes: 15

shabba

Re: League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:02 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:59 pm
Possession ( in either half of the pitch ) doesn’t win games , GOALS do !

Glad you mentioned that, i'm sure we all know that. Kieran knows this. He said it also.

This season is all but over, players will be playing to show the manager what they have for remaining games. Totally share your frustration Hallam, believe we all do. It's frustrating as hell because apart from goal scoring we are no doubt as good as any team in this league. Lots to improve on for next next season but the biggest part of the backbone of the team is there.

Whether Jackson stays or goes for me isn't the main issue. Sure sign him up again but need more of a striker who sniffs out goals also but also Get the scruffier parts of the game sorted. Get the set plays and the bobbling in off the backsides goals also, and that includes Midfielders and the Defenders contributing

Still excited for next season
Spot on! I really don’t think we are too far away, and that we have progressed even if the league position hasn’t.

We just need that final piece of the puzzle, scrappy goals and being more ruthless. KMC has done so well and now needs his summer window and pre season to work on this last part.

We are moving in the right direction we just need to be patient.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:27 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:48 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:14 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:58 pm
Burgess has cost us this win, so unnecessary.

Our back three were brilliant until the sending off.
Why? The lad struck it beautifully. Nothing to do with Burgess. Obvious second yellow.... but getting a bit bored of dominating games and coming away with less than 3 points. Its simple, we should have put rhe game out of reach.

From our point of view, why are we tryingto score the perfect goal every time. Do we need 15 passes to walk the ball in when the opposition can hit one or score from a set-piece.

If we want to get promoted..... can we learn a few lessons from this division.

It has everything to do with Burgess, had he not got himself sent off Thompson wouldn’t have been defending the high ball which he could only get the weakest of headers on straight into the path of Shaun Whalley the goal scorer. Had Burgess still been on the pitch he would have cleared his lines just as he and Woolfie had done all afternoon. I’ve not seen the highlights yet but I’m sure they will reflect my comments.
I’m not sure why Penny didn’t take Burgess’s place and leave Thompson wide as he was far too small to play the role Burgess had played all afternoon.
This game was everything but won until the sending off. ☹️
I see your point, but I don't think it's everything to do with Burgess. If we can't get that second goal then we're always vulnerable to an equaliser. It's happened before. Just getting annoying that we can't finish off teams.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:05 am

It is annoying for sure and very frustrating, I do think the players give their absolute all though, maybe as someone said, we are just 2 or 3 pieces short of being the complete jigsaw, Mckenna has worked wonders for me and will only improve, his interviews are superb and always honest and on the money, he knows exactly where we are lacking and what needs improving, it will come.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:10 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:20 pm
I'd keep Norwood personally, otherwise I agree with your departures but as much as I like Celina i dont think we'll be able to afford him.

I'd also consider moving Chaplin on. I'd dump Thompson in a heartbeat and probably wouldn't bother with Bonne either.

I'd keep Bakinson.
I don't want to keep Bonne either, i just think the club will try and sign him. Regarding Celina, you may have a point. Chaplin can be frustrating but I would keep him. Norwood just does not have it for me. His first touch is poor, needs to many chances per goal and always wants a row with someone.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:27 pm

Do you think McKenna will trim down the squad size even further ? I think we’re allowed 25 seniors aren’t we ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:21 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:27 pm
Do you think McKenna will trim down the squad size even further ? I think we’re allowed 25 seniors aren’t we ?
Isn't it 22 seniors excluding the GKs? It seems to change every season though.

I would have thought we will trim it further. Plenty of squad players not getting game time and eating up the wage bill.

Could academy players like Humphreys, Baggott provide adequate cover so we could have a smaller squad and bring in a few better quality players on good money?

One of the problems is can we offload players like Pigott, Harper, KVY, etc who are still contracted to us but don't appear to offer anything? Doubt if Pigott will find a club who can offer him the same wages. So he might be hard to offload.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:50 pm

I’m not sure of the number for squad tbh as you say they’re always changing it .

I like the idea of trimming it snd using the likes of Baggott, Humphries, Ndaba etc …. Having read the article on Ndaba it seems he’s come in in leaps and bounds snd unlike Simpson appears to really want to make it at Ipswich - which is refreshing ! I wondered if he could do a job for us as a LWB? Therefore solving one problem or easing it at least.

One thing I am really sure about ( following the Ashton interview recently ), is He is already at work on brining in specific targets . So it looks like McKenna and he have already had discussions about who to bring in . I can see early summer signings , and I don’t think we’ll have to wait to boot some players out first .