League 1 - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A real tricky one to call?

Millers Win
23%
Town Win
23%
Draw
54%

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:09 pm

ImageRotherham United v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 16th April 2022 – 12:30

New York Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

League One Next Season It Is Then.........

So there we have it, last Saturday's draw at Shrewsbury Town has condemned Town to yet another season in this dismal league, the mathematicians among us will say it is still not over and done with but of course it absolutely is, even Four wins would not be enough to gatecrash the Top six and seeing as we can't win Three in a row that's us done for. The game against the Shrews was yet another game we dominated throughout without having enough about us to put the game to bed, it's a recurring theme and One that will no doubt be eradicated before we go again in August.

Personally I thought in the first half we played some tremendous stuff which was very pleasing on the Eye, getting the early goal should have been the springboard we needed to go on and win the game convincingly but alas our usual failings resurfaced once more and for all our dominance we had little to show for it come the full time whistle. Even though we were defending a solitary goal lead I felt pretty at ease until we were reduced to Ten Men thanks to Cameron Burgess's reckless challenge on the keeper, it was so unnecessary and changed the complex of the game, suddenly they sensed they could get something from a game that for the most part looked a lost cause and a worldie strike got them back on level terms with barely Five minutes to go, from that point on there was only going to be One winner but thankfully we saw it through to the final whistle without conceding again to at least get something from the game.

I am firmly of the opinion that our season was stuffed as early as October, however the fact remains there have been way too many games throughout the season against second rate teams where we have dominated and failed to get the job done, last Saturday's being a classic example. I cannot help but think that had Ashton and Co. acted when they should have done in October we would be in a completely different position now, that said they did at least give the previous manager a fair chance.

It has been said that we need to end the season strongly and win as many games as we can, personally I think it is irrelevant other than the fact I want us to win every game, for me how we end this campaign will have no bearing on next season at all, I fully expect to see Five or Six good players come in to fill the gaps where we are lacking, I think we all know what those gaps are and more importantly Kieran McKenna most definitely does.

The first of the Four remaining games sees Town head North to One time runaway leaders Rotherham Utd who seem to be imploding right now, they looked nailed on to go up and while it still may happen it is far from the forgone conclusion it once was, One win in Seven games is not what was required at this crucial time of the season and it could just be they go into the play offs in dire form and confidence shot. However, who better to come up against when a win is desperately needed than little old Ipswich Town, in recent seasons we have been so generous to teams who can't buy a win and it would be no surprise to see that happen again here too.

The big point of interest for me is if Kieran McKenna decides to play any of the younger players, Elkan Baggott, Cameron Humphries and a striker who's name escapes me (Sorry Ash) look the most likely to get a chance, I think now all is lost it would at least give the game a little bit more interest for us Town fans. With Rotherham's poor form guaranteed to end soon and the Sky camera's in Town I can't see beyond a Millers win here unfortunately. I hate saying it but a Two goal comfortable home win in this One. COYB'S, prove me wrong.

The Opposition – Rotherham United

Rotherham United FC (known as the ‘Millers’) was formed in February 1925 after the merger of two clubs, Thornhill United and Rotherham Town, who had been playing in the area since the 1870s.   
   
The club's traditional home was Millmoor in Rotherham, where the team played from 1907 to 2008.   
   
The red and white was adopted around 1928 after they originally played in amber and black, and Rotherham spent their time in Division 3, only just remaining in the Football League in 1931 as they had to apply for re-election.    
   
Immediately after the Second World War, things were looking up. United finished as runners-up three times in succession between 1947 and 1949 and were then champions of Division Three (North) in 1951. Rotherham reached their highest ever league position of third in the Football League Second Division in 1955.    
   
The club held on to its place in Division Two until 1968 and then went into a decline that took them down to Division Four in 1973. In 1975, they were promoted back to the Third Division, finishing in the 3rd promotion spot in the Fourth Division. The Millers won the Division Three title in 1981.   
   
During the 1990s, Rotherham were promoted and relegated between the Football League's lowest two divisions and they slipped into the Fourth Division in 1991, just two years after being promoted, but reclaimed their status in the third tier (renamed Division Two for the 1992–93 season due to the launch of the FA Premier League). They survived at this level for five years, never looking like promotion contenders, before being relegated in 1997.   
   
In 1997, just after relegation to Division Three, Ronnie Moore took charge of Rotherham United. His first season ended in a mid-table finish and then his second in a play-off semi-final defeat on penalties. It was third time lucky in 1999–2000, as Rotherham finished as Division Three runners-up and gained promotion to Division Two. They were favourites to be relegated in the 2000–01 season, but surprised many by finishing runners-up in Division Two and gaining a second successive promotion.    
   
Rotherham managed to remain in Division One for four seasons until relegation to League 1 in 2005.   
   
Early in 2006, it was announced that the club faced an uncertain future unless a funding gap in the region of £140,000 per month could be plugged. An eleventh-hour intervention by a consortium of local businessmen kept them in business, but they suffered relegation to League 2 and entered into administration in 2008, being deducted 10 points.   
   
Local businessman Tony Stewart then took over as Chairman for the 2008–09 season and took the club out of administration via a Creditors Voluntary Agreement, resulting in a further 17-point deduction. The Millers were subsequently forced to leave Millmoor, their home of over 100 years, for the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield, after disputes with the landlords.   
   
Chairman Stewart appointed Steve Evans as manager on 9 April 2012. Evans got them promoted back to League 1 in the 2012–13 season. The same season also signalled a new era for Rotherham United as the club returned to playing home matches in Rotherham, at the newly-built New York Stadium.   
   
Rotherham gained back-to-back promotions by winning the 2013-2014 League One play-off final. Rotherham beat Leyton Orient 4-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw, having come back from 2-0 down.  

In the 2014–15 Championship season, Rotherham's first after a nine-year absence, their survival was jeopardised by a points deduction for fielding the ineligible Farrend Rawson during their home win against Brighton & Hove Albion, Farrend Rawson's loan had expired two days prior to the match, and despite the club insisting it was an external administrative error, they were subsequently thrown back into a relegation battle with Wigan Athletic and Millwall, but safety was secured in the penultimate game of the season, a 2–1 home victory against Reading.

Rotherham sold key players from their promotion winning campaigns before the 2015–16 season, including Ben Pringle, Craig Morgan and Kari Arnason. Evans left the club in September and former Leeds United manager Neil Redfearn was appointed as his replacement, being sacked in February 2016 after a run of six defeats in eight games.

Neil Warnock was appointed as manager for the rest of the season, and the club stayed up, finishing 21st. Warnock left the club in May 2016 after not agreeing a contract extension. Alan Stubbs became the new Rotherham boss in June 2016, but was sacked in October.

Rotherham replaced Stubbs with Kenny Jackett, who himself was replaced with Paul Warne, as Rotherham finished the season bottom of the league and were relegated to League One.

At the first attempt, Rotherham returned to the Championship, defeating Shrewsbury in the play-off final.

Rotherhams stay in the Championship was short lived however, along with Bolton and ourselves, they were relegated back to League 1 in the 2018/19 season after finishing in 22nd place.

At the first attempt, Rotherham returned to the Championship, defeating Shrewsbury in the play-off final, only to be relegated back to League 1 after finishing last season in 23rd place.

The Manager – Paul Warne

Form Guide

Rotherham Last 5 Matches – Currently in 3rd place with 80 points

12 Mar Wycombe 0 - 0 Rotherham

15 Mar Rotherham 2 - 1 Lincoln City

19 Mar Rotherham 0 - 3 Shrewsbury

9 Apr Rotherham 0 - 1 Charlton

12 Apr Portsmouth 3 - 0 Rotherham

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 9th place with 65
point

12 Mar Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Portsmouth

19 Mar Oxford Utd 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

26 Mar Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Plymouth

2 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Cambridge Utd

9 Apr Shrewsbury 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

Match Referee – Peter Wright

ROTHERHAM UNITED 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

JohnnyB

Re: League 1 - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:35 am

0-0

They’re not that bad. We’re not that good

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:00 pm

:lol: Hopefully Ash steps up to the plate and helps with that “name”……. Nice one 👍👌

It really is a pity that those two points were dropped last week. Keeping a fingertip on 6th would've made things a lot more exciting for the weekend…….. but it all really does have that air of , 🤷‍♂️, “ok, lets move on, new season please.”
Away draw in this one. 1-1 ….. MacBonne scores!

Warne / Ref combined caption:

Sky reporter:
“We’re here today to discuss with Millers boss, Paul Warne his relaxing hobby away from football; photography. And in particular, photographing pro referees. Paul, can you speak with us?”

Warne: “In a minute, buddy. Peter? PETER? Could you turn your head that way just a little bit?”
Ref: “Like this?”
Warne: “Little bit more……. And try and smile.”
Ref: “Like this?”
Warne: “Yyyyyyep, yep, perfect.”

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:40 pm

I have to say Rotherham are a team I don't really like. Big, strong, pump long hall balls into the box types of guys. Of course I'd swap places in the league table with them, but I'm much happier watching the type of football we play.
I think we will suffer a 2- or 3-goal defeat for several reasons.
1. I'm a born pessimist.
2. They have more to play for than we do.
3. Despite their recent temporary goal drought, they create more chances with their long ball stuff than we do with our football.
4. It's on Sky.

If however we get an early goal, their fans will be on their back, their confidence can't be that high at the moment, and we could win. But if we aren't 1 up after 20 minutes, we face defeat.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:49 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:40 pm
But if we aren't 1 up after 20 minutes, we face defeat.
MacBonne double, 10th min & 19th min.

C’mon, Andy……. Join the optimists!

Or are you a realist (different from pessimist) and refuse to join the blue tinted desperado's? ( << different from optimist)

https://youtu.be/hhe0ULrAHIw

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:14 pm

They play a fairly basic game which has worked well for them most of the season. The wheels have come off recently but, as AndyM says, they still have a lot to play for.

We are under no pressure now that the playoffs are all but out of reach. We will either be uninterested and lose heavily or be anxious to make up for recent disappointing results and beat them heavily. That probably means a 0-0 draw!

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:17 pm

I meant to add:
5. Not sure who we will play at the back for as match where strength and height are pretty well essential. Is it worth trying Baggott? A tough game but he has the height. Lack of experience a potential problem.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 pm

Andy……. Did you sit from 12:40pm to 4:17pm thinking of another “pessi” ? :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 pm
You guessed!

No, I just suddenly remembered the red card.
The pessimism is weird but it’s genuine. The one time it changes is 5 minutes before kick off when in get excited, nervous to the point of shivering/shaking, and optimistic.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:48 pm

Why pick a referee out of Ninth Grade for a game of such importance. The kid had better not screw up.

Voted to draw, they've had their problems and a point while a credible score for the trip out there, should just about kill off any last promotion argument/s.

They're beatable for sure, not the force of some months back. If we play like we can and everybody's on their game then victory is possible. Just don't imagine it quite coming to pass for us.

Rotherham 1 ITFC 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:17 am

saint jude wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:48 pm
Why pick a referee out of Ninth Grade for a game of such importance. The kid had better not screw up.
Sort or see this in an opposite view to you here, Saint. The older guys can be extremely egotistical and wrapped up in their little “I’m in control” worlds. Mike Dean in England can be like that (most of the time) , Willie Collum up here in Scotland…… 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ man, he is not good.
Sometimes a young ref can be refreshing. And some are NOT scared to give the correct decisions. Steven McLean up here was very good when he arrived on the scene. Has a few dodgy moments but has maintained his “decent” ref status. Certainly my favourite ref.

Having said all of the above……… the young guy awards the Millers a pen in 90 (+6) @ 0-0. Book it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:46 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 pm
marko69 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 pm
You guessed!

No, I just suddenly remembered the red card.
The pessimism is weird but it’s genuine. The one time it changes is 5 minutes before kick off when in get excited, nervous to the point of shivering/shaking, and optimistic.
I think you’ll find that’s the caffeine!

As regards the game , nothing would give me greater pleasure than for IPSWICH to put the final nail in their budgie loving manager’s promotion coffin. But Town can’t score goals , and can’t finish teams off . I see a draw at best ….

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:17 am
saint jude wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:48 pm
Sort or see this in an opposite view to you here, Saint. The older guys can be extremely egotistical and wrapped up in their little “I’m in control” worlds. Mike Dean in England can be like that (most of the time) , Willie Collum up here in Scotland…… 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ man, he is not good.
Sometimes a young ref can be refreshing. And some are NOT scared to give the correct decisions. Steven McLean up here was very good when he arrived on the scene. Has a few dodgy moments but has maintained his “decent” ref status. Certainly my favourite ref.

Having said all of the above……… the young guy awards the Millers a pen in 90 (+6) @ 0-0. Book it.
I think the quality of refereeing this season has been very poor. I don't like to criticise too much because the players make the refs' jobs very difficult, cheating, diving, shirt-pulling, holding and getting in the ref's face.
However, we never seem to get the decisions against what i think of as the bully-boy types of teams - big, strong, physical, long-ball-into-the-box types of teams. I truly believe the refs are intimidated by them and most of the decisions go their way.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:10 pm

That is exactly right Andy, I've always thought the same tbh.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:55 pm

Rotherham / Doncaster / Wycombe are the classics examples of teams that bully. However Town have ALWAYS been a “ lightweight” team for as long as I’ve been watching them. We rarely get decisions because we’re crap at cheating frankly.

Our players are always “slight” in their build - our academy players “ Will-o-the-Wisp” body types. It was interesting to note the comment by that Academy player who jumped ship for that lot up the road recently . He said since he’s been at their club he’s bulked up a lot . So it kinda confirms to me we don’t develop our youngsters in quite the right way … or maybe in a complete way .

As for our first team , we’ll we’re a joke at set pieces aren’t we . We NEVER win the headers …

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:06 pm

More fat b*stard Chopras required.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Or a team of Morsy’s :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:55 pm
Rotherham / Doncaster / Wycombe are the classics examples of teams that bully. However Town have ALWAYS been a “ lightweight” team for as long as I’ve been watching them. We rarely get decisions because we’re crap at cheating frankly.

Our players are always “slight” in their build - our academy players “ Will-o-the-Wisp” body types. It was interesting to note the comment by that Academy player who jumped ship for that lot up the road recently . He said since he’s been at their club he’s bulked up a lot . So it kinda confirms to me we don’t develop our youngsters in quite the right way … or maybe in a complete way .

As for our first team , we’ll we’re a joke at set pieces aren’t we . We NEVER win the headers …
There’s a lot of truth in that. I’d still rather watch a team who can play pet football than a team of bullies, but there’s a balance. Our failure from corners is, as you say, proof of it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:16 pm

I’m not sure we’ll get if this division playing purist football. As you say a balance is needed …

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:51 pm

The summer will tell a tale. With today's results, any lingering hopes we had for making the playoffs are well and truly scuppered. As you have both said, we need to find that balance between the pretty football on the one hand, and the bloody minded physicality on the other hand, that will be needed next season.

I'm confident we have the right man in KMcK to understand precisely what is needed and to implement a plan that will get us out of this godforsaken league.

I wrote off this season about 7 weeks ago but my excitement for next season has been building as I have watched us improve in many facets of our game. A couple of adjustments over the summer will complete the transformation. I think the future is bright.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:29 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:51 pm
With today's results, any lingering hopes we had for making the playoffs are well and truly scuppered.
Yep. Fkd. Done & dusted.

Player performances under Cook + the Cheltenham type results recently = FOURTH season in Division 3.

🤦‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:40 pm

You see the difference is , these teams win their games when the chips are down …. We don’t !

And for the record I wrote this season off at the very start . Too many wholesale changes to suddenly click and hit the ground running . And before people point to Wigan , they had an established backroom team … the players settled in much more quickly . At Town EVERYTHING changed. Miracles occasionally happen but rarely in a Blue shirt . :D

Next season the pressure will be on McKenna for sure ….

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:40 pm
Next season the pressure will be on McKenna for sure ….
That is an understatement…….. i’ll say for damn sure, FOR SURE!! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:19 pm

And the pressure will be even more intense if people aren't patient and understanding, something Town fans are often lacking.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:19 pm
And the pressure will be even more intense if people aren't patient and understanding, something Town fans are often lacking.
I really hope fans realise he is inexperienced; he’ll make mistakes. But I believe he’ll be a good manager. I’m not expecting instant success. He’s learning. I remember Fulham a few years back in the Championship. They played some lovely football but missed out. I believe they got promoted the year after. I’ll just be happy with god football. With the right resources - and scouts, I’m still not sure who is selecting new signings - we should be aiming for promotion in a year or two. But if it’s not next year and we play as we have, I’ll be happy.
I watched my old team , Luton, beat Forest 1-0. Both teams are in the playoff spots in the Championship. I have to say Luton we’re horrible to watch. Big, aggressive, in your face. 7 yellows and a red. I’d much prefer to watch us in League 1. If Luton got promoted through the playoffs they’d be an embarrassment in the prem.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:32 am

Andy, people are constantly banging on about “The Modern Game”……. If Luton Town FC go up via the play-offs, they’ll go down in history as one of the greatest achievements in the “Modern Game”.
They were in the Vanarama Conference 6 years ago. To adapt to THE MODERN GAME in such a short space of time is genius. It actually makes Marcus Evans look like an utter tool in the football world.
You should be proud of them as an ex supporter, not embarrassed.

Re KMcK…….., he’ll be under pressure from fans to deliver because that sh*t comes with the job, unfortunately. Every club in the world has those supporters. And i’d expect MORE impatience in the 4TH season in shitty league one. Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if there is anger if its a slow start.

My personal view Andy is KMcK will be a success. Those utter tosspot players went from mediocre sh*te displays under Cook to playing decent football under KMcK. (Go find the crossover match reports….. like night & day)…… and that is clearly down to something Kieron McKenna brings to Ipswich Town.

Promo next season, 👍👍👍

Luton, Champions League.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:13 am

Exactly marko . It’s ultimately ALWAYS down to the players. They’re either on board if they’re not.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:46 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:55 pm

a lightweight team? Yes, I agree, by and large that's exactly what we are.

It's interesting, because I gave a list on another thread of players that I don't want to see here next season, and I would say that most of them - if not all - are lightweight.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:27 am

A lot of negativity on this post. Of course I'd love us to win this game but I'm not really that bothered as we have blown it this season BUT I think we are now one of the best sides in this division and we WILL be better next season and get promoted. We potentially have one of the best managers in UK football and if we can hang on to him I could see us playing in the Premiership in season 23/24 (2 years!) He has turned this team round with an inherited squad and however well Paul Cook did in the transfer business he couldn't get a tune out of them (apart from a few isolated matches) whereas K.McK certainly has. I agree with Blue Mike that there will be a different look to the side next season with a few key additions and if we can take the form we have shown since K McK took charge into a full season ,I think we will walk the league. Hopelessly optimistic? Maybe but thats the way I feel.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:39 am

Glad Baggott gets a start. Don't understand why Thompson starts