League 1 - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A real tricky one to call?

Millers Win
23%
Town Win
23%
Draw
54%

Total votes: 13

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:23 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:06 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:06 am
Very good first half, crap second, can't blame KM for Norwood f**king up in the 8th minute, totally crap. Agree about Celina, always has been a bloody liability, woeful 5 games out of 6 and as for Thompson, wtf.
McKenna brought Thompson in on loan which is kinda my point about recruitment.
Thought Bakinson did ok yesterday but is he worth keeping ?
I think McKenna has done well overall since arriving but there is still a lot of work to do to get Town to be a side that actually gets out of League One.
Summer is going to be really vital and need to hit the ground running next season as it won't be easy.
I think with injuries KM needed someone to come in at LB and Thompson had by all accounts been doing ok, at times he looks ok but most of the time very hit and miss, will be amazed if he is here next season.

I like Bakinson, much to learn and poor yesterday but would have him here next season alongside Morsy and another very solid and experienced CM.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:24 am

valleyroad wrote:
valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:06 am
Very good first half, crap second, can't blame KM for Norwood f**king up in the 8th minute, totally crap. Agree about Celina, always has been a bloody liability, woeful 5 games out of 6 and as for Thompson, wtf.
McKenna brought Thompson in on loan which is kinda my point about recruitment.
Thought Bakinson did ok yesterday but is he worth keeping ?
I think McKenna has done well overall since arriving but there is still a lot of work to do to get Town to be a side that actually gets out of League One.
Summer is going to be really vital and need to hit the ground running next season as it won't be easy.
Imo I think you’re pretty much spot on with that assessment VR.
I feel Bakinson’s performances are too inconsistent (unfortunately we have a number of players in the squad that seem to suffer from that trait) and therefore I think we should be looking for better. This summer it is certainly going to be a case of trying to recruit quality over quantity.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:13 am

Will probably get shot down for this but I often hear people say we are not a league 1 club. Ok in terms of our history and potential compared to a lot of clubs in this league we are bigger but when it comes to the team on the pitch we are very much league 1 standard.
Failing to even finish in the top 6 for the 3 seasons we have been in this league seems to confirm this.
I do feel that at last hopefully things might be starting to improve and we will become a side which can become a contender in this league. However, I don’t think it will be easy and we have to remember where we are having to come from due to the Evans era and how low the club had sunk both on and off the pitch.
Anyhow, they are my thoughts for what they are worth and probably the majority of you will think not much! :lol: Might not be around on here much now until the start of next season so have a good summer everyone and roll on the 30th July.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:53 am

I think our presence in league one ( division THREE) is a direct result of our administration 20 odd years ago.

As a Club we’ve been in decline ever since . Evans bit off more than he could chew , largely due to an excellent sales pitch by Sheepshanks I might add . Both are now history and under Gamechanger our re building , (a year after the official take over), is only now really about to begin, with largely the back room infrastructure being assembled since take over.

Unfortunately we’ve been subjected to Evans’ last piece of influence (Cooks appointment and the “ demolition day”,) although much needed - someone had to do it, but it effectively meant this season was a dead rubber before it started.

The real work is probably underway right now behind the scenes for McKenna’s proper influence and true 1st season , starting in August.

It’s going to be interesting isn’t it!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:55 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:13 am
Will probably get shot down for this but I often hear people say we are not a league 1 club. Ok in terms of our history and potential compared to a lot of clubs in this league we are bigger but when it comes to the team on the pitch we are very much league 1 standard.
Failing to even finish in the top 6 for the 3 seasons we have been in this league seems to confirm this.
I do feel that at last hopefully things might be starting to improve and we will become a side which can become a contender in this league. However, I don’t think it will be easy and we have to remember where we are having to come from due to the Evans era and how low the club had sunk both on and off the pitch.
Anyhow, they are my thoughts for what they are worth and probably the majority of you will think not much! :lol: Might not be around on here much now until the start of next season so have a good summer everyone and roll on the 30th July.
I agree completely. It’s no use thinking we were a big club once. We are indeed a league 1 club, albeit with the advantage of a large following, money to spend and hopefully ambition.
I’ll get shot down for this too:
If we were in the prem, would we (the fans) expect us to win the League? Or be top 6? It just fighting to stay up?
If we were in the Championship, would we (the fans) expect us to be…. etc.
As we are a league 1 club, should our expectations be different? Why? Just because of what we once were? Football has changed a lot since then.
Of course we should want promotion. We should want to win every game. But hopes and ambitions are not the same as expectations. Treat then the same and you are usually going to be disappointed.
To put it another way, when I was working I was always set targets to meet. If I ever didn’t meet then, if have to explain why. My answer: a target is something you aim for. Don’t expect to hit it every time.
So let’s keep wanting and hoping for success. There are probably at least a dozen tabs in the league who “expect” promotion, even more aiming for the playoffs with just a few aiming for survival. The majority of those - us included- will be disappointed. But I think sometimes we make too big a deal out of it. Will we still be watching next season? Of course we will.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:56 pm

You're not wrong, there's not much that makes us 'special' and at no point have I thought we should win the league or anything, but the club does have some large advantages over others in the league.

1 - We should have started with a better squad than most. I'll say should as it's a bit subjective as to how good the squad was! But Championship relegated teams should have a squad advantage over those already in or promoted to league 1.

2 - Pulling power, the club is more illustrious than most in the league, it should have better facilities and potential, and so players and staff should be easier to recruit.

3 - Money, it's tricky as it's not as simple as it used to be, there are a lot more revenue streams these days, but we shouldn't be unattractive to sponsors for one. This season we had (vs the league average) 11,500 extra bums on seats to every home game, with that being 23 games and perhaps (once you include burgers, beers and shirts), you might get £40 out of each or those supporters each game, that's £10.5m a year more than average in this league. There's also probably a little away game and cup boost too, but I don't know how that works financially.

On the flip side, number 1 means the squad wage bill is likely a lot higher, number 2 means players and staff could probably demand higher wages, and number 3 is dented by larger maintenance bills and what not, but I think all 3 of them are still large net gains.

This club has no god given right to do well in this league, but even though things are a bit different in the modern game, this club does get a foot up in a number of areas which many other league 1 clubs could only dream of.

With everything considered I think par for a club like Ipswich in this division is probably 4th, and so in my eyes we have underperformed each season, posting double and triple bogeys. There has been many reasons for the tardy start in the division, Mevans being the overwhelming winner of that category in my opinion, but I don't think there are many excuses left in the club now. We have new funding, we have new leadership and direction, and we have a new manager and a fairly capable squad. Top 6 should not be a huge ask next season.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:05 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:56 pm
You're not wrong, there's not much that makes us 'special' and at no point have I thought we should win the league or anything, but the club does have some large advantages over others in the league.

1 - We should have started with a better squad than most. I'll say should as it's a bit subjective as to how good the squad was! But Championship relegated teams should have a squad advantage over those already in or promoted to league 1.

2 - Pulling power, the club is more illustrious than most in the league, it should have better facilities and potential, and so players and staff should be easier to recruit.

3 - Money, it's tricky as it's not as simple as it used to be, there are a lot more revenue streams these days, but we shouldn't be unattractive to sponsors for one. This season we had (vs the league average) 11,500 extra bums on seats to every home game, with that being 23 games and perhaps (once you include burgers, beers and shirts), you might get £40 out of each or those supporters each game, that's £10.5m a year more than average in this league. There's also probably a little away game and cup boost too, but I don't know how that works financially.

On the flip side, number 1 means the squad wage bill is likely a lot higher, number 2 means players and staff could probably demand higher wages, and number 3 is dented by larger maintenance bills and what not, but I think all 3 of them are still large net gains.

This club has no god given right to do well in this league, but even though things are a bit different in the modern game, this club does get a foot up in a number of areas which many other league 1 clubs could only dream of.

With everything considered I think par for a club like Ipswich in this division is probably 4th, and so in my eyes we have underperformed each season, posting double and triple bogeys. There has been many reasons for the tardy start in the division, Mevans being the overwhelming winner of that category in my opinion, but I don't think there are many excuses left in the club now. We have new funding, we have new leadership and direction, and we have a new manager and a fairly capable squad. Top 6 should not be a huge ask next season.
Expertly put. Can’t disagree with a word of that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:21 pm

Some excellent posts on this thread re League One, us and next season guys.

My humble input, is whether we like it or not we are viewed by 98% of League One as a “ big Club”. We are out up on that pedestal solely to be shot down by our opponents. It’s reverse psychology , and they are all at it !! It applies the pressure on us,(and conversely takes the pressure off our opponents.

It means week in week out OUR players have to live up to that mantle, and still have enough left to go and perform . That expectation by the media, the fans, the Club on tour players and the players on themselves is huge. We’re 1-0 down before we’ve kicked a ball because we’re EXPECTED to win , every game! We don’t, the pressure builds , from the very first game of the season.

I’d suggest that Not many of the players in that squad actually deal with that pressure very well.

To add fuel to that fire , ever since Ashton ( and Gamechanger) arrived at this Club they CONSTANTLY refer to Ipswich Town as a “ Big Club , Massive Club, Massive support”…. Just look back at the interviews and listen to the language being spoken. Our opponents will have heard these comments and if their managers have had any sense will have pinned that to the dressing room door . What bigger motivation will they need to ram that down our players throats ?

Every game we play , we are being set up to be shot down . The opponents managers Troy out the same thing after the game … Ipswich are a really really good team…..” …, “ they were brilliant… unbelievable “ etc etc …. And so the hype continues . We all subliminally believe it - including the players . Then the sucker punch comes . The players are bullied, shoved, kicked. The refs don’t clamp down on the gamesmanship by opponents, etc etc . How many teams have come to PR snd time wasted for 50% of the game? Our clean living , clean playing , purest footballers can’t cope with the dirty “ unsportsmanlike “ tactics ….” They don’t play fair “ etc . Opponents in League One have often already win the war by getting inside our players heads.

ITFC needs to learn to live with that “ big club” tag, because by and large we are compared the rest ( bar maybe 3 other Clubs) … but we need to show some respect to these League One clubs too . Trying to pass them off the park without even LOOKING to try and get a shot off ( to me) says arrogance ….. “ we’re so good (everyone says we are), “it won’t be long before we’ll score”…. “ we don’t concede ….. “we can keep possession “… if we get that goal , we can see this game out”.

But we don’t do we! We’ve believed the hype.

Different mental approach needed next season I feel.

We are a big club . Deal with it.
Being the big club doesn’t mean being over confident , bordering on arrogant. It means ….
Showing respect … by trying to win the game and not “seeing it out” .
Be prepared to meet physicality with a similar approach (in those games where it’s required).

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:44 pm

just typed out a long comprehensive report and view and lost all the f**king work. Attempt again with a shorter version if the nerves can stand it.

bottom line, a real sh*t weekend for scores. Not just ITFC but elsewhere also. It's tough, but you got to remain phlegmatic and continue on.

conceded yesterday the season is over for us, it can go no further. You can only retain belief for so long but that's it, we're done. It's a shame but there you are.

in all these years of following the club name can never quite recall having so many attacking options and not seem to be able to do a damn thing with it. One last time, certain names are destined for the exit. Maybe they haven't been here that long but they're garbage, that's the truth of it.

Rotherham got the win, they're in second place, most likely see a promotion. No real shame to lose away to opponents of that nature but understand we only played effectively for one half and not the other. After a run of unbeaten games we now seem to lose in some succession. Stands to reason we aren't going to make it. it's frustrating, another year in this goddamn league, it's tough to stomach in all truth, but really we haven't possessed the players to really challenge the league once again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:21 am

For me North Stander hits the nail on the head. He’s saying just about everything I’ve posted else where on here .

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... on-8903628

The big question is ….

Can McKenna ( himself) adapt his approach to the game in order to get a team together that can truly compete in this division ?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:33 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:02 pm
Woolfie running from one end of the pitch to the other! Looked like he couldnt quite believe he was there in front of goal. Should've shot!
That is one of Town's failngs we just don't shoot, always trying to score the perfect goal.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:35 am

Disagree with all of it, never forget who we are, what our history represents and what we will be again, this is not just a Middle of the road League One club, this is ITFC for christ sake. Giving up and accepting of mediocrity is a disaster waiting to happen, it is a blip in our history and the rebuild has well and truly begun . Stop dropping your standards and expectations!!

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:25 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:35 am
Disagree with all of it, never forget who we are, what our history represents and what we will be again, this is not just a Middle of the road League One club, this is ITFC for christ sake. Giving up and accepting of mediocrity is a disaster waiting to happen, it is a blip in our history and the rebuild has well and truly begun . Stop dropping your standards and expectations!!
I agree Mike - to me we will always be a big club. Unfortunately, though, over the last few seasons the playing staff have been of a small club type

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:35 am

Can a post be framed? Because that ^^^^^ is it in a nutshell.

Logged in late last night, read a few fkn loser posts then logged off.

Maybe a present day 15 year old who only knows the Mevans era could have the “we need to realise” f**king bullshit opinion of being a League One standard club…… but everyone else……. Have a word with yourselves. Jaysus fkn Christ man.

The Gamechanger consortium chose ITFC because its a BIG club………. No, not the sleeping giants that Leeds United or Manchester City were, but they're BIG enough to attract attention from the Americans with lots of dough.

“People need to realise we are League One…….”

Naw, people don’t need to realise that. Fk off.

Post of the year, Bluemike. 👍👌👏👏👏👏

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm

Always good to know my opinions are f**king bullshit

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:08 pm

Well 🤷‍♂️…….. we’re all guilty of having bullshit opinions, Andy. Shouldn’t take things so personally.
Hibernian FC have just been pumped twice in 7 days by the Hearts bstds, but the Hibs are STILL the big team in Edinburgh in my utter bullshit opinion. 👍

But seriously……… to anyone, (not just you) who think the name Ipswich Town has found its level in League One along with the Fleetwoods, the Morecambes & Crewes & possibly Forest Greens etc etc……… i find that quite sad and I also feel its a bit of a quitter attitude. The type of people like Dundee Bob at a Leith plumbing merchant branch who LEFT Tannadice last weekend and missed his teams comeback to 2-2. 🤦‍♂️
“Must’ve been some bounce at the equaliser eh, Boab?”
“Was at the train station.”
:shock:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:15 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm
:lol: :lol:

Ah people just love to polarise opinions these days! I'm pretty sure at no point you said that Town are an average club in league 1 and should accept their existence there!!

On one hand... huge club, mega history, should be in the Premier League and on the other hand... burnt out husk of a club, years of deterioration, should be happy to even exist and be in league 1. Of course, as with all of these things, no one is actually claiming either of those things and the truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't actually see anyone really disagreeing in this thread to be honest, but we could all just have a big argument to entertain ourselves as the season is over??

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:08 pm
to anyone, (not just you) who think the name Ipswich Town has found its level in League One
I don't think anyone has actually said that to be honest Marko! Not trying to start an argument, but I think it's just a case of glass half empty or half full. I think everyone's expectations are similar, nobody is saying we should easily run away with the league (I don't think) and nobody is saying we're performing just fine and this is life now (I don't think).

It's just a calm perspective vs a passionate one. Anyone care to disagree??

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:28 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:20 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:08 pm
to anyone, (not just you) who think the name Ipswich Town has found its level in League One
I don't think anyone has actually said that to be honest Marko! Not trying to start an argument, but I think it's just a case of glass half empty or half full. I think everyone's expectations are similar, nobody is saying we should easily run away with the league (I don't think) and nobody is saying we're performing just fine and this is life now (I don't think).

It's just a calm perspective vs a passionate one. Anyone care to disagree??
I honestly wouldn’t say its been said if it hadnt. Its been said on this thread, other threads and on links posted. Its a “big picture” defeatist attitude and it is annoying.
Read pages and pages of Keiron McKenna career info posted here or elsewhere, then you pop in after a 1-0 defeat and its “ipswich are 4th season league one-ers because thats their level now”……. NOT speaking for you or anyone else, but it HAS been said and its BS in my opinion.

No laws on here about expressing opinion…….especially expressing opinion on other BS opinions!! :D

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:50 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:55 pm

I agree completely. It’s no use thinking we were a big club once. We are indeed a league 1 club, albeit with the advantage of a large following, money to spend and hopefully ambition.
I’ll get shot down for this too:
If we were in the prem, would we (the fans) expect us to win the League? Or be top 6? It just fighting to stay up?
If we were in the Championship, would we (the fans) expect us to be…. etc.
As we are a league 1 club, should our expectations be different? Why? Just because of what we once were? Football has changed a lot since then.
Of course we should want promotion. We should want to win every game. But hopes and ambitions are not the same as expectations. Treat then the same and you are usually going to be disappointed.
To put it another way, when I was working I was always set targets to meet. If I ever didn’t meet then, if have to explain why. My answer: a target is something you aim for. Don’t expect to hit it every time.
So let’s keep wanting and hoping for success. There are probably at least a dozen tabs in the league who “expect” promotion, even more aiming for the playoffs with just a few aiming for survival. The majority of those - us included- will be disappointed. But I think sometimes we make too big a deal out of it. Will we still be watching next season? Of course we will.
I'm not sure why this post got such a negative reaction. It is a fact that we are a League 1 club. It is a fact that we have 'the advantage of a large following, money to spend and hopefully ambition.'

I think it is very hard to disagree with 'Of course we should want promotion. We should want to win every game. But hopes and ambitions are not the same as expectations. Treat them the same and you are usually going to be disappointed.'

We all know, and value our history. We all know what this club has accomplished and will, we hope, accomplish again in the future.

Where we have been for the last number of years is, we hope, a blip in our proud tradition but it is reasonable to point out that, blip or not, we are stuck in this crappy division for another season and we are, de facto, a league one club right now. We need to accept that reality and make sure we take the necessary steps to get us back to where we all know we should be. We have the following, we have the manager. We hopefully have the right ownership now. Roll up the sleeves and get on with it.

Just another bullsh*t opinion!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:01 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:50 pm
👍, yep, keep it going, Massey! :D

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:02 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:01 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:50 pm
👍, yep, keep it going, Massey! :D
:lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:30 pm

Whatever Game Changer Group and say Ashton set out to achieve last summer, not to say they've failed, but clearly not met with expectation.

The influx of new players brought in with it and there were enough of them, have collectively not maybe underachieved, many weren't good enough to begin with.

Isn't it the case in point that's where we're at now. Not only a struggle to recapture Championship status but an evident absence from the top league for 20 years at present time. How long to envisage it will take to make it back, you can't put an actual figure on it but really thinking it'll take longer than some would wish to believe.

It's tough more than ever to make it back to where you want to be. The rich get richer, money has gone a long way to obliterating the game and with it, the hopes of lesser club names and fans like ourselves that try as you can to make it back, you hope and believe but need to realize often time has passed you by. Times change and far from always for the better.

The basics here are you're looking at a club name two full decades away outside of top league soccer and the same time rarely (have) looked equipped or able to really make it back. Evans as owner I know some insist he's some level of savior of can't put a foot wrong but caused significant havoc to the club in his tenure here. Why we're even in League One as it is, has to take a certain share of culpability.

I got little time for argument, it's just one fans perspective but safe in the knowledge a great many would already share a similar sentiment.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:42 pm

Well I've never read anything as negative as 'league 1 is our level now and in to the future', that's ludicrous, a few posts to the affects that 'league 1 is our level at the moment until we get our sh*t together and that's not easy', I think those outlooks are very different.

The first team has performed at league 1 level, that's fact, average and awful. The club is better than that though obviously, but we didn't have a blip which relegated us from the Championship, we had many years of hideous rot and bad ownership which absolutely crippled the first team playing potential and the club from the inside out. It takes time to undo that, it maybe should have been quicker, but it's only been one year post Evans and so I've not expected miracles. I do however now have higher expectations, because many of the wrongs are starting to be corrected (I think) and the club is bigger than league 1 that is for sure.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:45 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:42 pm
Well I've never read anything as negative as 'league 1 is our level now and in to the future', that's ludicrous, a few posts to the affects that 'league 1 is our level at the moment until we get our sh*t together and that's not easy', I think those outlooks are very different.

The first team has performed at league 1 level, that's fact, average and awful. The club is better than that though obviously, but we didn't have a blip which relegated us from the Championship, we had many years of hideous rot and bad ownership which absolutely crippled the first team playing potential and the club from the inside out. It takes time to undo that, it maybe should have been quicker, but it's only been one year post Evans and so I've not expected miracles. I do however now have higher expectations, because many of the wrongs are starting to be corrected (I think) and the club is bigger than league 1 that is for sure.
100% ☝☝☝

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:49 pm

Just catching up on Saturdays game which seems to have been a big disappointment. As tempting as it was I’m so pleased I didn’t set the alarm for 4.30am to watch it. Without wishing time away I’m now at the stage where I can’t wait for next season. I just hope our management team have a plan on how to overcome our shortcomings. One thing for sure it won’t be easy to offload our ineffective strikers.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:24 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm
That makes two of us Andy :lol: :lol: :lol: