League 1 - Crewe Alexandria vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An easy 3 points?

Crewe Win
No votes
Town Win
92%
Draw
8%

Total votes: 13

Rodenbach Ex-pat

Re: League 1 - Crewe Alexandria vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Rodenbach Ex-pat » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:14 pm

My concern is as to why not one the youngsters was given a chance during this dead rubber game. Why continue to play on-loan or other players who will probably not come into the equation next season? Other clubs, and I see a lot of it here in Germany, encourage young home produced players. If Town fail to do so, are they inviting another Simpson case? A draw would then have been less frustrating in the circumstances.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:36 pm

Rodenbach Ex-pat wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:14 pm
My concern is as to why not one the youngsters was given a chance during this dead rubber game. Why continue to play on-loan or other players who will probably not come into the equation next season? Other clubs, and I see a lot of it here in Germany, encourage young home produced players. If Town fail to do so, are they inviting another Simpson case? A draw would then have been less frustrating in the circumstances.
Exactly. I've been very supportive of KM since he came here, but on this occasion I think he's missed a trick.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:48 pm

Really disappointing result. Our last few results have a dispiriting familiarity in that we seem to fall off the cliff every season at this time of year, regardless of who the manager is.

I Think KMcK will be an outstanding manager for us but, just now, the rigidity in his selection policy and in set up for games has taken some of his sheen off for me.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:26 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:48 pm
Really disappointing result. Our last few results have a dispiriting familiarity in that we seem to fall off the cliff every season at this time of year, regardless of who the manager is.

I Think KMcK will be an outstanding manager for us but, just now, the rigidity in his selection policy and in set up for games has taken some of his sheen off for me.
I agree; but he is inexperienced. I think given time he will do well. But he needs to be given time. If we expect Success next season then it could lead to disappointment and too much pressure on a manager learning the job. I think he was a god and brave appointment, but is no Different to playing youngsters in the first team - there will be mistakes and it’s a learning curve.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:09 pm

Don't think it matters if the fans expect success, Andy ——->> got to assume the owners will.

And he needs to have a very good summer and an INFINITELY better August.

2 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Cambridge Utd
9 Apr Shrewsbury 1 - 1 Ipswich Town
16 Apr Rotherham 1 - 0 Ipswich Town
19 Apr Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Wigan Athletic
23 Apr Crewe Alex. 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:05 am

Were the only one who voted for a f**king draw. Got Chaplin correct as first scorer also, must be doing something right.

Don't know why some overly suprised, we often struggle against the "worst" teams in a league and pick out poor results when facing them. Not only that, where (are) our goals going to come from. We got some five or six striker options and collectively they're sh*t. Don't wish to be harsh but that's the reality of it.

It's a shame after the unbeaten run we're now struggling to even find a victory. Hard to say a bad word against McKenna but the gleam has come off the past few weeks. It's going to be a mid-league finish, so much for all and any hype back last August. Not so much a criticism just pissed off that thought back last summer the opportunity was there to do something. There were a whole load of in's and out's last close season, only feel now we're going to have to go out this time and do it bigger and better. If not, you can kind of know how it's going to be.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:53 am

18 attempts at goal suggests to me its nothing to do with the formation or approach play at all, its totally down to inept strikers.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:53 am
18 attempts at goal suggests to me its nothing to do with the formation or approach play at all, its totally down to inept strikers.
The stats for the league campaign suggest a different interpretation. For all of the problems the team had defensively under Cook, they could score goals. A comparison with, effectively, the same strike force is illuminating when it comes to the league.

Cook: 20 games; goals scored 40.
MKenna: 23 games; goals scored 27.

Burns, who for me has been player of the season, was not available to Cook for quite a few of the games where we didn't perform

I'm very happy that we will progress under KMcK and that he is a far superior manager, at least in terms of potential, but we need to recognise that in some areas of the pitch we have gone backwards.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:20 pm

Yeah, but it's also:

Cook: 20 games: goals conceeded 30
McKenna: 23 games: goals conceeded 13

More games, less than half the goals. I'm not saying you're wrong etc etc, but it's always a compromise, a team can set up ultra attacking and score more goals, doesn't mean they're better at attacking. It may seem the team have gone backwards in some areas, but I don't think it's a simple as that, it's a style change and a group of strikers very low on confidence. McKenna has decided to set up more defensively and it's improved what matter most (the points won per game, 1.7 per game vs 1.35), I don't really blame him for the lack of goals as such in a black and white sense.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:06 pm

Its ok saying Cook was missing Burns, KM at times has been missing Edmundson, Edwards, Morsy, Jackson, Evans to name but Five, no comparison.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:53 pm

Pity it's gone a bit flat.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. A few weeks back it felt that we were almost there and just needed to start a new 46 game season with a couple more players. Think we're a bit further away from that now. 1 win in 8 is poor. At least McKenna can see where we're falling short and not were not hiding our shortcomings. Up to him to put it right and we'll see how good Ashtons recruitment room is. At least we've got a good core of 6-7 players to build with.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:28 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:20 pm
Yeah, but it's also:

More games, less than half the goals. I'm not saying you're wrong etc etc, but it's always a compromise, a team can set up ultra attacking and score more goals, doesn't mean they're better at attacking. It may seem the team have gone backwards in some areas, but I don't think it's a simple as that, it's a style change and a group of strikers very low on confidence. McKenna has decided to set up more defensively and it's improved what matter most (the points won per game, 1.7 per game vs 1.35), I don't really blame him for the lack of goals as such in a black and white sense.
I completely agree. I was just making the point that saying the dearth of goals is completely down to inept strikers is too simplistic.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:51 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:28 pm
Ricco wrote:
Yeah, but it's also:

I completely agree. I was just making the point that saying the dearth of goals is completely down to inept strikers is too simplistic.
Agree. Bring in new strikers, for sure. But there's more. Teams have worked us out and we have to find other ways to open up teams and score goals. Full marks for mckenna for making us defensively better, but it has come at a price. Less goals. Too many draws. And when we talk about strikers.... we should also add in the numbers 10's .... Celina, Aluko, Chaplin.... they're in the side for creating/scoring. Are they doing enough?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:52 pm

The most important thing to me is that we are all 100% united behind a young, inexperienced and dare I say it, an excellent young managerial prospect from the off next season, he will get the players in we need, I think we'll always have the idiots that are anti any manager coming in, you only have to look on FB etc to see the utter bile that fumbles out of their gobby mouths. Let's be honest a month ot Two back some were saying "I hope we can keep hold of McKenna" lol, its laughable at times the knee jerk chopping and changing of opinion, thankfully most on here have a brain and a sense of level headedness.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:53 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:51 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Ricco wrote:
Yeah, but it's also:

Agree. Bring in new strikers, for sure. But there's more. Teams have worked us out and we have to find other ways to open up teams and score goals. Full marks for mckenna for making us defensively better, but it has come at a price. Less goals. Too many draws. And when we talk about strikers.... we should also add in the numbers 10's .... Celina, Aluko, Chaplin.... they're in the side for creating/scoring. Are they doing enough?
Chaplin has 11 goals, he is the most gifted player in the squad. Celina, liability and waste of space.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:44 pm

I'm not talking about not sharing my opinion, im talking about gobby idiots that find fault with everything the club does and have ever done, I wasn't thinking anyone in particular but if the cap fits..

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:53 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
MasseyFerguson wrote:

Chaplin has 11 goals, he is the most gifted player in the squad. Celina, liability and waste of space.
I really like Chaplin. Best finisher at the club IMO. But I also like Celina and Aluko..... they're all very technical, skilful players. Just think we need something different at times in the final third. There's too many times we're playing pretty football outside a packed box with no end result. Don't expect all 3 of these to be here next season

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:59 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:53 pm
Tangfastic wrote:

I really like Chaplin. Best finisher at the club IMO. But I also like Celina and Aluko..... they're all very technical, skilful players. Just think we need something different at times in the final third. There's too many times we're playing pretty football outside a packed box with no end result. Don't expect all 3 of these to be here next season
This is a bit of a tricky subject, as all 3 of them have plusses as well as minuses.

It should be borne in mind that in spite of all the excitement of the Gamechanger backing, in spite of the mass clear-out and replenishing of playing staff, in spite of all the optimism for this season, once again we have had a mediocre season that has delivered nothing and - points wise - seen very little improvement over the previous season (although we are playing better football than a year ago).

Bearing this is mind, I would say that the number 10 position this season has been a disappointment. If I was manager, I would be looking to ship out all 3 of Celina Aluko and Chaplin, and replace them with 2 players that are more consistent and have better quality.