Are we wrong to be optimistic?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

MasseyFerguson

Are we wrong to be optimistic?

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:49 pm

In common with most of us here, I have been feeling very optimistic about our development under KMcK. I think we are a few signings away from being a really powerful force in this league with an outstanding chance of promotion next season.

Our pedestrian run to the end of this season dampened that enthusiasm somewhat, but the optimism was still there.

Then I thought about it a little more and my confidence was severely dented. Yes, we are playing much more attractive footbal. Yes, defensively we have really tightened up in the second half of the season.

But, the sad fact is that last season we finished five points away from the playoffs. This season, with one game to go, we are 13 points away. I know we all say that it was our form under Cook that scuppered our chances this year. Does that view stand up when you realise that, when Cook was fired, we were 9 points away?

Are we really any better than we were?

My gut tells me we are light years better than we were, but the stats suggest my gut is wrong.

arana peligrosa

Re: Are we wrong to be optimistic?

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:14 am

Got to say was geared to see something else regards the Crawford item. Real relief it turned out to be something else. "Expecting the worse" is sometimes hyperbole but did imagine for a moment to view something upsetting.

On the subject of this here optimistic issue, am still feeling (to a degree) the disappointment of missing out on the promotion chance when for a time it seemed well within our reach. For a few weeks I felt we were arguably the best team in the division and could do no wrong but it wasn't to last.

I do best sometimes to overlook Cook's time here, it were a real lousy duration that dragged on longer than what was necessary but took a moment to wonder what might had been had he remained up until now.

For the last time McKenna has done well. A virtual unknown when coming in with no real coaching experience behind him but has made something of a name for himself. Not prominent enough as yet to be talked of as target for the biggest club names but one day can go on to greater things.

To encapsulate, and answer the authors initial question, optimism is all very well but it takes a realist to make ends meet. This side now, as it stands, is not promotion material I don't feel : which the league finish will authenticate.

Irony is we made so many changes last summer to be prepped to achieve something it's going to take a whole lot of in's and out's once again if you're really equipped to view a promotion accomplishing team. Bottom line it's an improvement on once before but really, we're (still) some distance off in really being able to expect to be featuring at Second League level once again.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:48 am

I think we should be optimistic, but let's not get carried away. The club looks in a far better place off the field and on the field we look far more controlled- but we're only likely to finish 10th or 11th. Next season, I expect the league to be even more competitive.

This slump we've had might be a good thing. Puts everything in perspective. Go back a couple of months we thought we were there- just need a full season and we'd be in the automatic positions. Now, it doesn't seem so clear-cut. McKenna might be able to improve us on the coaching side, but I think we're a few class players short and the recruitment this summer will be the most important factor.

I think we are in a better position than what we were a season back. Forget the points total and league position, - we've now got a very good spine in Donacien, Woolf, Edmundson, Morsy, Walton, Burns... maybe Evans, Chaplin, too... a lot more to build from. And McKenna should now be clear what we're lacking. Over to him and Ashtons recruitment team.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:16 am

I think we're playing better football under KM, but that will not necessarily mean we stand a good chance of promotion next season.

I have been supportive of KM since he came here, but I did see comments he made last week that worried me - namely that he said his goal was to tighten up the defense even more and make sure we can hang onto a 1 goal lead. That suggests to me a fairly negative approach (borne out by his seeming insistence of playing a lone striker(, and I think that to get out of this particular league an attacking and aggressive team has a far better chance.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:10 am

I don't think we are wrong to be optimistic, far from it. As others have said we are playing far better football than we have for a few years, the manager says he is well aware of what needs strengthening etc and that I'm sure will be addressed, this is KM'S first window so it will be a proper representation of his own squad so to speak, im very positive that will be a big plus, Ashton proved his worth last Summer so no reason to doubt the capability again.

I think the comments on tightening up the defence further and finding the ability to hold on to a single goal lead is basically addressing Two big issues that stopped us getting higher up the table so as such I'm pleased we are looking to address these areas. I don't see KM as a defensive type of coach so I'll be very surprised if we adopt more negative style of play. Very interesting times ahead.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:10 am
I don't think we are wrong to be optimistic, far from it. As others have said we are playing far better football than we have for a few years, the manager says he is well aware of what needs strengthening etc and that I'm sure will be addressed, this is KM'S first window so it will be a proper representation of his own squad so to speak, im very positive that will be a big plus, Ashton proved his worth last Summer so no reason to doubt the capability again.

I think the comments on tightening up the defence further and finding the ability to hold on to a single goal lead is basically addressing Two big issues that stopped us getting higher up the table so as such I'm pleased we are looking to address these areas. I don't see KM as a defensive type of coach so I'll be very surprised if we adopt more negative style of play. Very interesting times ahead.
Very much agreed here. The old adage of "if you don't concede, you don't lose" is so true. Where could we have been (I would actually like to know) had we not conceded equalisers from either 1 or 2 goal head starts in games this season? I bet the answer would see us in, or severely threatening the top 6! A quick glance tells me it is 8 points dropped in our last 7 games alone, whereas teams arounds us seem to generally be steamrollering their way to wins!
Having taken in few games this season, watching the Wigan match really gave me reason to be optimistic for next season. We made them look pretty ordinary at times, the difference being they made two of their few chances count, whereas some lovely passages of play could not be converted to goals for us.
Back to the OP, i believe caution is wise, but I prefer optimism as opposed to pessimism on our chances next season! There will be some big clubs vying for the same thing and we need to be able to just mix it up a bit, to overcome those "park the bus" teams. We are just a couple of players light and certainly a freshened up attack could be the key which unlocks that door!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:11 pm

Agree Mark and add to that, Two or Three managers of the better clubs in this division openly stated that we were the best team they had come up against, I just feel we are very close to being serious contenders, Four new signings in the right areas and away we go.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:53 pm

I think we have to be realistic and say that at the moment there is no reason for optimism or pessimism for next season.

The fact that we have finished this season in more or less the same position as last, with a similar points total, would suggest that - in terms of gaining points which is ultimately what we need to get promoted - there is no cause to be overly optimistic at the moment. Of course, that may well change over the close season with personnel changes. We all know where we need to strengthen - it just remains to be seen whether or not it happens.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:56 pm

Yep the league table doesn't lie, I am just hoping that with the last year being One of unbelievable change and upheaval at the club that this is the main reason things were harder than expected, I know Hallam felt that from day One and she could well have been correct. Fingers crossed

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:26 pm

I think we just need a few players in the right positions and we will be fine, this season we have dropped so many points from winning positions resulting in to many draws, roll on July 30th 👍