New kit?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

shabba

New kit?

Post by shabba » Mon May 02, 2022 6:48 am

Hi all,

I see there is a sale on for the current kit, does anyone know if this kit will remain next season or we will get a new one?

Thanks

Blue Wilf

Re: New kit?

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon May 02, 2022 7:14 am

It changes annually (sadly). I did write to the club about it a few years ago and the then marketing manager said that we would be doing 'as all other clubs do' and change from every 2 years to annually. I suggested we buck that trend due to cost constraints on many fans and, true to the Evans era values (or lack of), they ignored that and went for annual changes. I think, given the cost of living crisis, keeping for 2 years would be a really good message to send to fans but sadly, suspect contracts have already been signed...

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 02, 2022 7:18 am

I think will will have a new kit manufacturer that's what they were saying on the other site, I expect we will know sometime this week along with news of players that are leaving.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 02, 2022 7:30 am

Thanks for the quick replies - I’ll wait for the new kit to come out and maybe pick this current one up on a better deal. I’d only ever wear it to matches and for me at least the current kit is within this new era for town :)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 02, 2022 8:00 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:14 am
It changes annually (sadly). I did write to the club about it a few years ago and the then marketing manager said that we would be doing 'as all other clubs do' and change from every 2 years to annually. I suggested we buck that trend due to cost constraints on many fans and, true to the Evans era values (or lack of), they ignored that and went for annual changes. I think, given the cost of living crisis, keeping for 2 years would be a really good message to send to fans but sadly, suspect contracts have already been signed...
Isn't it a question of choice, though? No-one has to buy the new shirt. Fans have favourite shirts from all eras and you see plenty wear old shirts to matches.

Amongst fans there seems to be plenty of interest in a new kit.... so I think many would like to see a new kit every year. Many collect shirts as a hobby. Its up to them how they spend their money. If you can't afford a new shirt... then wear older ones.... no disgrace in that.

And kids grow and need a bigger new shirt as well as adults who have growing beer bellies / bingo wings.

The shirt sales go into the Town coffers and helps us to pay the wage bill so it's not money down the drain.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon May 02, 2022 8:54 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:00 am
Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:14 am
Isn't it a question of choice, though? No-one has to buy the new shirt. Fans have favourite shirts from all eras and you see plenty wear old shirts to matches.

Amongst fans there seems to be plenty of interest in a new kit.... so I think many would like to see a new kit every year. Many collect shirts as a hobby. Its up to them how they spend their money. If you can't afford a new shirt... then wear older ones.... no disgrace in that.

And kids grow and need a bigger new shirt as well as adults who have growing beer bellies / bingo wings.

The shirt sales go into the Town coffers and helps us to pay the wage bill so it's not money down the drain.
Was going to just quote Blue Wilf's post saying I wholeheartedly agree and that yes, in these current tight times wouldn't it be a nice gesture to say we will at least keep this current shirt for next season too. The cost for a family with perhaps two kids is quite a burden every season and I should imagine that there is a lot of pressure (for youngsters especially) to have the latest shirt.

Obviously as also mentioned in this topic, there is the matter of shirt manufacture and also sponsorship.

Tang also makes a very valid counter argument in that you don't have to buy the shirt every season.

From a personal level, I have just a Marcus evans shirt from 2011/12 season, plus the retro Fison's kit! Would love the current shirt but could not justify the cost of it when considering the number of games I attend! If, which seems unlikely in this instance, i could pick up this current shirt at a reduced price, then that is how I would chose to do it. At least I would have a recent shirt for games attended next season.

As an aside, as such, it is quite nice spotting the number of different shirts from over the years, when at a match! In fact you may have seen me at Portman Rd in my anorak with camera, notepad and pen! :wink: :P

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon May 02, 2022 10:29 pm

It is indeed everyones choice but there is no doubting the pressure some parents will get to buy the latest and greatest when they cannot afford it. I just thought that the club could make a gesture in that regard as there is no need for a new shirt every season (except financial). I have the Pioneer UEFA cup short as its timeless but thats not what most 10 year olds will want! We are the Family Club of the season so why not lead instead of following the herd? Just my personal view and its each to their own...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:23 am

Advice only to home grown supporters…….. i’d advise against wearing Mevans shirts into Portman Road. The name could pi$$ some supporters off. I certainly wouldn’t be wearing his name back into PR. Not a chance.
4th season in L1 wearing a Mevans shirt? Nope.
“But…….. but……… he saved the club ……..”
“Yep, but thanks to Roy Keane, he then ruined the club.”

Offload your Mevans shirts on ebay for a quid, three quid postage.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue May 03, 2022 1:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:23 am
Advice only to home grown supporters…….. i’d advise against wearing Mevans shirts into Portman Road. The name could pi$$ some supporters off. I certainly wouldn’t be wearing his name back into PR. Not a chance.

In truth I tend to keep the Mevans shirt at the bottom of the drawer, prefer to wear my Fisons shirt any day.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 03, 2022 2:21 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:32 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:23 am

In truth I tend to keep the Mevans shirt at the bottom of the drawer, prefer to wear my Fisons shirt any day.

Well Ipswich were certainly playing a load of Fisons under Mevans! :D

I still own the fisons shirt with red lace up front. Size L…….. no, not XXL you cheeky bstds!

Its in mint condition. Any offers?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue May 03, 2022 10:49 pm

As Its 60 years to our first division champions under Sir Alf, I think we should respect this honour by wearing the blue with white sleeves shirts, white shorts, and blue and white hooped socks

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Fri May 06, 2022 11:18 am

As a kid, I had a new one every year for my birthday from my dad. Eventually, when I had to buy my own (until I hit my 30s and dad started paying again!), I only got one if I really liked it!! 😁

A few years ago I gave them all away apart from the current one at the time to a charity who were collecting old tops and now only have a few, including this seasons away.

I probably won't be getting a new one for a while as I don't get back for many games unless it's a pretty spectacular shirt that I MUST have!! Plus, dad passed away last year and I'll have to pay for them again!!! 😱😂I'd rather spend the money on a flight back to go to a game nowadays unless my "bingo wings" get bigger that is! 😉

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 20, 2022 8:01 pm

50% off now, so I've ordered a home shirt for my dad and myself. Only XL nd up but suspect in the winter with a jumper underneath XL will be fine. (I'm a 'large' usually for clothes, 14st etc).

Shame no kids sizes as I'd love to get some for my little ones (4 and 6).

Happy with £20 a shirt - yes it'll be out of date soon but its still in the new era and the Ed S sponsor logo is fairly cool (I hate betting ones).

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat May 21, 2022 3:39 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:49 pm
As Its 60 years to our first division champions under Sir Alf, I think we should respect this honour by wearing the blue with white sleeves shirts, white shorts, and blue and white hooped socks
No good now, should have been implemented last August to coincide with the season ahead. Would have been a nice touch but the opportunity has passed.

Thing with buying club merchandise is that most, if not all, aspects of retail there's going to be someone looking for profit and (with) their hands out. Admittedly don't order stuff from the club store but realize enough the cost of today, some just can't or won't afford to purchase an item even if reductions are available.

I'd envisage the majority who order of wear team colors are those that attend games regular or live within the vicinity of Portman Road. To some others you question it as you're sporting a strip miles / considerable distance away where other Town fans are to say the least, few and far between. Kind of defeats the object maybe.