A solution to the left back position?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

A solution to the left back position?

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon May 02, 2022 4:58 pm

Seems young Corrie Ndaba has impressed at Salford City, mostly at Left Back.
Could he be a solution?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ty-8935786

Tangfastic

Re: A solution to the left back position?

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Don't think he's THE solution, but maybe good back up.

We really need a proper LWB. He's more of a CB/LB so we're asking a lot of him. Can he beat full-backs and swing in a decent cross? Can he get a few goals?

We've used so many players in that position without anyone nailing down that role.(Coulsen, Penney, Clements, Donacien, KVY, Thompson). Some are suggesting Kyle Edwards could even do it. I think a priority will be that we sign a made to measure LWB.

Get Baggott out on loan and bring Ndaba in for cover.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 02, 2022 5:53 pm

Not sure id send Baggott out on loan tbh, for me he looks ready and able.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 02, 2022 6:12 pm

From now on just set my profile to do an auto reply of ‘what Tang Said’. I always agree.

He is more of a CB or defensive left back and we need a top quality wingback who creates chances.

Rodenbach Ex-pat

Post by Rodenbach Ex-pat » Tue May 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Re Baggott: Bluemike, I fully agree. It would also encourage and motivate other Academy youngsters.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 03, 2022 12:16 pm

Rodenbach Ex-pat wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:01 pm
Re Baggott: Bluemike, I fully agree. It would also encourage and motivate other Academy youngsters.
But doesn't a successful loan offer encouragement to the youngsters? Downes, Woolfenden had decent loans. Maybe if Dozzell had a decent loan earlier he might have progressed quicker.

I can't see Baggott pushing ahead of Edmundson and Burgess. Would have thought Ndaba is also ahead of him in the pecking order. If Baggott is stuck in the under 23's next season then it doesn't offer that much encouragement. He should be looking to play men's football week in, week out.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue May 03, 2022 12:42 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:16 pm
Rodenbach Ex-pat wrote:
But doesn't a successful loan offer encouragement to the youngsters? Downes, Woolfenden had decent loans. Maybe if Dozzell had a decent loan earlier he might have progressed quicker.

I can't see Baggott pushing ahead of Edmundson and Burgess. Would have thought Ndaba is also ahead of him in the pecking order. If Baggott is stuck in the under 23's next season then it doesn't offer that much encouragement. He should be looking to play men's football week in, week out.
Do you think that Edmundson and Burgess are better than Baggott? I'm not so sure, I know we've seen hardly anything of Baggott but, to me, he's hardly put a foot wrong. Age should not preclude him from a first team place if he's good enough

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 03, 2022 1:48 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:42 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Rodenbach Ex-pat wrote:

Do you think that Edmundson and Burgess are better than Baggott? I'm not so sure, I know we've seen hardly anything of Baggott but, to me, he's hardly put a foot wrong. Age should not preclude him from a first team place if he's good enough
Better? Yes, Edmundson and Burgess are better in that they're more hardened, experienced CB's at this level. After Baggott made his debut, McKenna stuck Burgess back in so in McKennas mind Burgess is ahead. Baggott has got to be noticeably better than Edmundson and Burgess to replace two senior pro's and I don't think he is. Unless we have big injury problems at Centre Back or we sell, I can't see him having much of a look in next season other than the odd game,

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Tue May 03, 2022 5:01 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:48 pm
rossi wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:42 pm
Tangfastic wrote:

Better? Yes, Edmundson and Burgess are better in that they're more hardened, experienced CB's at this level. After Baggott made his debut, McKenna stuck Burgess back in so in McKennas mind Burgess is ahead. Baggott has got to be noticeably better than Edmundson and Burgess to replace two senior pro's and I don't think he is. Unless we have big injury problems at Centre Back or we sell, I can't see him having much of a look in next season other than the odd game,
Very interesting discussion.

I think there are some parallels with Woolfenden..? McKenna has really helped Woolfy bring his game on and now he's one of the first names on the team sheet. I really didn't see that coming at the beginning of the season. I'm guessing McKenna sees the same potential with Baggott?

So on one hand seasoned pro's and on the other someone you can really help to develop and mould as a player. It will be interesting to see if McK backs himself to get the best out of Baggott. I hope he does, I'd love to see Baggott develop here, not out on loan.

Although Tang you may well argue that Woolfy has progressed because he went out on loan.........

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue May 03, 2022 8:59 pm

jimmyt wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:01 pm

I think there are some parallels with Woolfenden..? McKenna has really helped Woolfy bring his game on and now he's one of the first names on the team sheet. I really didn't see that coming at the beginning of the season. I'm guessing McKenna sees the same potential with Baggott?
Woolfenden had an excellent season alongside Chambers a few years back. The next season when Chambers was played as left back, Woolfy was poor.

I think he had benefited from being alongside experience and from being part of a 3 rather than a central 2. That in my opinion is what has made him perform better.