Play offs

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Play offs

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 22, 2022 10:05 am

Liverpool FC is a great football club, very well run and very well managed by Juergen Klopp. There is no doubt they are currently one of the best football teams in Europe and their achievement record speaks for itself. However their fans so often let the club down especially when travelling abroad. I’ve been to Madrid and Barcelona to watch them play in the Champions League and on both occasions there were large numbers of fans who let the club down with unacceptable behaviour before during and after the game. It’s no surprise to me that their fans are disliked, however if you’re in a packed stadium for a big game and the “Never Walk Alone” anthem gets belted out, it just makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Also when the team falls behind in a match and the fans get behind them it’s almost worth a goal.
Love em or hate em, their vocal support for the team is amazing, second only to Atletico Madrid.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 22, 2022 10:23 am

… and of course to get us back on track I’m delighted for Sunderland and their 46,000 fans who were at Wembley yesterday for their well deserved win. As has already been said that’s one of the big guns out of the way for next season’s promotion challenge.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun May 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Vietnam 1 Thailand 0. Nam reigning champions of South East Asia. I’d post some video from the scenes at my local Bia hoi (government subsidised bars serving the cheapest beer in the world) but I can’t work out the settings 🥴

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun May 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:23 am
… and of course to get us back on track I’m delighted for Sunderland and their 46,000 fans who were at Wembley yesterday for their well deserved win. As has already been said that’s one of the big guns out of the way for next season’s promotion challenge.
Yes. I'm delighted for Sunderland and their fantastic fans. I'm delighted for us also. One less big club to worry about next season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 22, 2022 10:07 pm

Hopefully we can win more points in the 6 games against the 3 sides relegated from the Championship, Peterborough, Derby and Barnsley than we did against the three promoted teams Wigan Rotherham and Sunderland whom we only managed to win a total of 3 points from a possible 18.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 23, 2022 12:47 am

You got a point with the above, believe all three teams are beatable for us but without looking too far ahead really insist we do it (promotion) next time without fail, as had a fill by now of this miserable league we're stuck at. We've just finished outside Top Ten placing after the hype of the summer before, point being I don't know how far optimism can always get oneself.

Mixed end to the season elsewhere. Clear relief that a certain team on Merseyside didn't get the win and title people argue they deserve. Manchester City, a team of nobodies in recent time and an honors list you could fit on a postage stamp before some Arabs rode in, not everyone's favorite team but I'll take them over the former without question. Scored late goals to win it but it didn't quite have the character and emotion of Ten years back, they won by the same score that day also for good measure.

Rangers can have their Cup, they lost the League and a Final in Europe. Begrudgingly - very - they (neutrals would argue) deserve to take something from the season. Hell that was painful to write.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 23, 2022 8:11 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:07 pm
Hopefully we can win more points in the 6 games against the 3 sides relegated from the Championship, Peterborough, Derby and Barnsley than we did against the three promoted teams Wigan Rotherham and Sunderland whom we only managed to win a total of 3 points from a possible 18.
Yep - despite how many of us think that we have some really good players in the squad, those figures tell a completely different story.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 23, 2022 9:02 am

rossi wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:11 am
Charnwood wrote:
Yep - despite how many of us think that we have some really good players in the squad, those figures tell a completely different story.

At the start of last season with the squad we had whoever would have thought we’d only take 3 points off those teams in both the home and away fixtures. I suspect most of us would have expected at least 9 points.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 23, 2022 11:46 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:02 am
rossi wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

At the start of last season with the squad we had whoever would have thought we’d only take 3 points off those teams in both the home and away fixtures. I suspect most of us would have expected at least 9 points.

Its not just the newly promoted sides. We only got 4 points from a possible 24 from the promoted sides from L2 last season. (Cambridge, Bolton, Cheltenham and Morecambe). Incidentally, none of these sides got relegated, but they're all beatable.... and 4 points from 24 is pathetic.

And also looking at the 10 sides who finished above us and those games - we only won 4 of those. Wycombe twice, Plymouth and Pompey once. Just not good enough. That's 4 games out of 20 won.

The idea that we just need a goalscorer and a full season under McKenna is a bit of the mark. I think we're a bit further away from just beating the top two or three sides.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 23, 2022 12:12 pm

Conversely Sunderland went up and we outplayed them twice, dominated Wigan at home and bossed Rotherham away for an hour so I would say we aren't that far away at all, taking more of our chances is the key.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 23, 2022 12:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:12 pm
Conversely Sunderland went up and we outplayed them twice, dominated Wigan at home and bossed Rotherham away for an hour so I would say we aren't that far away at all, taking more of our chances is the key.
True, although from the 4 games you mention we obtained only 2 points, so I think overall the problem is far more than a mere lack of somebody who can stick the ball away.

Time will tell, I guess, because I'm not expecting a lot of incomings over the close season - possibly a striker and thats about it. So by and large it will be down to the same individuals to do a lot better than they did this season

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:46 am
Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:02 am
rossi wrote:

Its not just the newly promoted sides. We only got 4 points from a possible 24 from the promoted sides from L2 last season. (Cambridge, Bolton, Cheltenham and Morecambe). Incidentally, none of these sides got relegated, but they're all beatable.... and 4 points from 24 is pathetic.

And also looking at the 10 sides who finished above us and those games - we only won 4 of those. Wycombe twice, Plymouth and Pompey once. Just not good enough. That's 4 games out of 20 won.

The idea that we just need a goalscorer and a full season under McKenna is a bit of the mark. I think we're a bit further away from just beating the top two or three sides.

I think you’re you’re drifting off topic Tang. The thread is discussing the play offs and in particular if we’re better off with Sunderland out of the way which I appreciate has expanded to compare our chances against the three relegated teams from the Championship v the three promoted from League 1. The discussion of how many new resources we need to beat every other team in the league should surely be discussed in the Transfers Summer 2022 Thread and leave this thread for Play Off chat especially with two more Play Off Finals still outstanding including the Big One - Huddersfield v Forest which promises to be great contest.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun May 29, 2022 6:12 pm

Just what is the point of VAR FFS? 2 clear pens for Huddersfield not given for me...

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 29, 2022 6:56 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:12 pm
Just what is the point of VAR FFS? 2 clear pens for Huddersfield not given for me...
2nd one definitely - and if that useless ref says he can't give what he doesn't see then he's clearly not standing in the right place.

As for the game - Huddersfield were dire, Forest no better, a poor game that did no credit whatsoever to the Championship.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 29, 2022 7:37 pm

Too much at stake (£170m) for the game ever to be a classic. The first VAR decision was correct, the guy had decided to dive before any slight contact if any was made. The second incident which for me was a much closer call than the first, I’m not sure VAR even looked at it.

A brilliant defensive performance by Forest who from a poor final were the more worthy winners. All said I’d far more prefer to see Nottingham Forest in the Premier League than either Burnley or Huddersfield Town.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:42 pm

Nice to see Paul Hurst get a bit of success today with Grimsby Town.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:13 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:37 pm
Too much at stake (£170m) for the game ever to be a classic. The first VAR decision was correct, the guy had decided to dive before any slight contact if any was made. The second incident which for me was a much closer call than the first, I’m not sure VAR even looked at it.

A brilliant defensive performance by Forest who from a poor final were the more worthy winners. All said I’d far more prefer to see Nottingham Forest in the Premier League than either Burnley or Huddersfield Town.
No disrespect to Burnley & Huddersfield, but I’d also prefer to see Nottingham Forest back in the Prem! I just hope they have financial backing to keep them there.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:26 pm

The name Paul Hurst had gone way off radar since leaving here. no disrespect to the man himself but his time here were a train-wreck, never really looked back once had gone through the exit and no longer associated with our club name. So many managers with us in recent time you could add to a list.

No idea he was with Grimsby now or even back in management. Beat Solihull in extra-time to make it back to the Football League, people will sneer at the idea or trivialize it but guess it meant an awful lot to the teams involved not to mention Hurst himself. Not sure if they played it at the National Stadium or what size crowd they pulled in but you got to spare a thought sometimes for the lesser club names out there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:03 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:42 pm
Yep the same day he was given the accolade of our worst ever manager.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:03 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:42 pm
Yep the same day he was given the accolade of our worst ever manager.
Maybe he’d found his level ?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:47 pm

How can you, or they, make such a claim. Hurst was with us what three or four months if that and all of the sudden he's labeled quote 'worst manager in Town history' (?) Yes he was sh*t as were the scores and performance but to give him such a dubious title after such a short time with us is want for better words, questionable.

If you're going to take the time to put together a candidate for worst ever then there's plenty other names out there that would be a more suitable reasoning. In recent time alone Magilton, Jewell, Keane, McCarthy and Lambert did collectively a real lousy job of things and they were involved here a whole lot longer than Hurst's meager duration. May be in a minority but I'd maybe omit the latter from any running simply due to his limited spell and involvement with the club. Guess just depends how you view it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:44 pm

Certainly King Keano for worst, Saint. Woeful. Paul Lambert a close second.

Think Hurst did indeed do sh*t things like believing a L1 Shrewsbury outfit could morph into an Ipswich Town Championship outfit, but basically he did what anyone could’ve done with Mevans purse strings so tightly closed.

Thats only my opinion by the way…….. not rubbishing anyone elses views.
Just think this series of events:

1. TV, “promo in 1 season, its not difficult”
2. Rhodes wont fit in, dont rate him anyway.
3. Spends a sack o cash on expensive Goulash

……, means Roy SUCKED & still sucks.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:15 pm

Keane was the worst for me, total inept nut job

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:55 am

Seem to recall the most exciting thing about Keane's tenure with us was how gray or black he could grow a beard. Yeah, it really were that mundane back then.

Complete void of emotion, poker-faced banality. Brought in on a wave of hype and misled enthusiasm, could tell from day one it were going to be something of a train-wreck, and was not disappointed.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:16 am

Let's be honest here, and objective.

All of the managers appointed by Marcus Evans - with the exception of Mick McCarthy - were as bad as each other. I don't think you can choose between them who was actually the worst, they were all dire

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:22 am

Keane wins it for me purely on the way he went about insulting the fans.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Just read Nottingham Forest have made a record breaking signing for Awoniyi! Really am happy Forest are back in the Prem! Hopefully they’ll survive. Also just read Bale is off to LAFC!…what a waste!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 am

I would like to see Forest do well too, Awoniyi certainly looks to be a good signing especially if he can transfer his Bundesliga goal scoring record to the Premier League, 15 goals in 31 appearances last season in Germany’s top flight takes some doing. Interesting that Liverpool pocket £1.7m of the transfer fee having sold him to Union Berlin in July 2021 for just £6.5m.

As for Gareth Bale I really thought he would end his career in Wales most likely with Cardiff City, but then if I had to choose between living in Cardiff or the Los Angeles sunshine, it wouldn’t be a difficult decision, or maybe he did agree to sign for Cardiff until they offered to send a plane for him. Oooops, maybe that was a bit below the belt. 😮