Play offs

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Play offs

Post by rossi » Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm

interesting isn't it? A few seasons ago and Wolves were tearing up the Championship, having at the time the benefit of one of the bigger budgets in the league. I didn't hear you or any other Wolves fan complaining then. So now you are in a league with clubs with a far bigger budget than yourselves, so console yourselves by thinking that there are only 5 or 6 clubs that have a chance of winning it. Be that as it may, it doesn't make the Premiership a crap league - indeed Leicester proved a few seasons ago that it is possible for a club with more modest means to succeed in it - and in any case I bet most Wolves fans would rather see games of Premier quality than League 1 quality.

To answer your question, I don't see the Championship as a crap league - clearly the quality is not as good as the Premiership so I can understand fans of Prem clubs looking on the Championship as crap. The gulf between the Championship and the Premiership, however, is far wider than the gulf between Premier and Championship. I say this because we have seen it is possible for a team to get promoted from the Championship playing good football (a la Fulham) whereas to get out of League 1 it seems you need to be more physical and direct. So all things are relative, but I still say that League 1 is indeed a crap league.

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 5843
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Play offs

Post by goldandblack » Thu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm
interesting isn't it? A few seasons ago and Wolves were tearing up the Championship, having at the time the benefit of one of the bigger budgets in the league. I didn't hear you or any other Wolves fan complaining then. So now you are in a league with clubs with a far bigger budget than yourselves, so console yourselves by thinking that there are only 5 or 6 clubs that have a chance of winning it. Be that as it may, it doesn't make the Premiership a crap league - indeed Leicester proved a few seasons ago that it is possible for a club with more modest means to succeed in it - and in any case I bet most Wolves fans would rather see games of Premier quality than League 1 quality.

To answer your question, I don't see the Championship as a crap league - clearly the quality is not as good as the Premiership so I can understand fans of Prem clubs looking on the Championship as crap. The gulf between the Championship and the Premiership, however, is far wider than the gulf between Premier and Championship. I say this because we have seen it is possible for a team to get promoted from the Championship playing good football (a la Fulham) whereas to get out of League 1 it seems you need to be more physical and direct. So all things are relative, but I still say that League 1 is indeed a crap league.
Don’t forget these are my opinions on the thread,
I don’t disagree we were lucky to get investors to buy our way out of the Championship, (although totally against Chinese money at my club). You didn’t hear me gloating or complaining.

I’ve watched us winning the FA Cup the League, plus other trophy’s, and watched them go from the old Div 1, down to Div 4, and back, and can honestly say I’ve enjoyed every season, especially the gloaters on the way down getting it back as we went past them back to the top,

You read my Crap League bit wrong, it’s a crap league to me, and most younger Wolves fans have a totally opposite opinion to mine, but my age group think like me,

Thanks for your answer, on the Championship,
It proves my point of which direction the fans are looking from doesn't it.
Anyway it’s a good thread and interesting different angles fans see it.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Play offs

Post by rossi » Thu May 12, 2022 4:38 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm
rossi wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm
interesting isn't it? A few seasons ago and Wolves were tearing up the Championship, having at the time the benefit of one of the bigger budgets in the league. I didn't hear you or any other Wolves fan complaining then. So now you are in a league with clubs with a far bigger budget than yourselves, so console yourselves by thinking that there are only 5 or 6 clubs that have a chance of winning it. Be that as it may, it doesn't make the Premiership a crap league - indeed Leicester proved a few seasons ago that it is possible for a club with more modest means to succeed in it - and in any case I bet most Wolves fans would rather see games of Premier quality than League 1 quality.

To answer your question, I don't see the Championship as a crap league - clearly the quality is not as good as the Premiership so I can understand fans of Prem clubs looking on the Championship as crap. The gulf between the Championship and the Premiership, however, is far wider than the gulf between Premier and Championship. I say this because we have seen it is possible for a team to get promoted from the Championship playing good football (a la Fulham) whereas to get out of League 1 it seems you need to be more physical and direct. So all things are relative, but I still say that League 1 is indeed a crap league.
Don’t forget these are my opinions on the thread,
I don’t disagree we were lucky to get investors to buy our way out of the Championship, (although totally against Chinese money at my club). You didn’t hear me gloating or complaining.

I’ve watched us winning the FA Cup the League, plus other trophy’s, and watched them go from the old Div 1, down to Div 4, and back, and can honestly say I’ve enjoyed every season, especially the gloaters on the way down getting it back as we went past them back to the top,

You read my Crap League bit wrong, it’s a crap league to me, and most younger Wolves fans have a totally opposite opinion to mine, but my age group think like me,

Thanks for your answer, on the Championship,
It proves my point of which direction the fans are looking from doesn't it.
Anyway it’s a good thread and interesting different angles fans see it.
Absolutely - opinions differ and discussion is good :)
I've never been a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of person - I say things exactly as I see them, so sometimes I see a full glass, sometimes empty. Oh, and I much prefer apples to pears

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 5843
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Play offs

Post by goldandblack » Thu May 12, 2022 7:44 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:38 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm
rossi wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm
interesting isn't it? A few seasons ago and Wolves were tearing up the Championship, having at the time the benefit of one of the bigger budgets in the league. I didn't hear you or any other Wolves fan complaining then. So now you are in a league with clubs with a far bigger budget than yourselves, so console yourselves by thinking that there are only 5 or 6 clubs that have a chance of winning it. Be that as it may, it doesn't make the Premiership a crap league - indeed Leicester proved a few seasons ago that it is possible for a club with more modest means to succeed in it - and in any case I bet most Wolves fans would rather see games of Premier quality than League 1 quality.

To answer your question, I don't see the Championship as a crap league - clearly the quality is not as good as the Premiership so I can understand fans of Prem clubs looking on the Championship as crap. The gulf between the Championship and the Premiership, however, is far wider than the gulf between Premier and Championship. I say this because we have seen it is possible for a team to get promoted from the Championship playing good football (a la Fulham) whereas to get out of League 1 it seems you need to be more physical and direct. So all things are relative, but I still say that League 1 is indeed a crap league.
Don’t forget these are my opinions on the thread,
I don’t disagree we were lucky to get investors to buy our way out of the Championship, (although totally against Chinese money at my club). You didn’t hear me gloating or complaining.

I’ve watched us winning the FA Cup the League, plus other trophy’s, and watched them go from the old Div 1, down to Div 4, and back, and can honestly say I’ve enjoyed every season, especially the gloaters on the way down getting it back as we went past them back to the top,

You read my Crap League bit wrong, it’s a crap league to me, and most younger Wolves fans have a totally opposite opinion to mine, but my age group think like me,

Thanks for your answer, on the Championship,
It proves my point of which direction the fans are looking from doesn't it.
Anyway it’s a good thread and interesting different angles fans see it.
Absolutely - opinions differ and discussion is good :)
I've never been a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of person - I say things exactly as I see them, so sometimes I see a full glass, sometimes empty. Oh, and I much prefer apples to pears
I was always a glass full sort of fella, until my last visit to Portman Road, now its completely empty awaiting on Hallam and Mikes round, could be a while waiting lol

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 4597
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Play offs

Post by number 9 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:59 am

Just so it’s on record, I disagree with Rossi’s view on playing ugly football to get promoted. I stick with my original view in that we need to continue playing total football while figuring out ways to manufacture goals in other areas. Sure maybe a few physical additions to the squad will help the cause in this league, but to ignore the improvement since KM took over is negligent. Apples & pears, just my two cents. Good football will eventually bring success no matter what league you’re in. At this point to totally change our playing style will certainly keep us in this league for an extended period time. So now I’ll take a sip of my half full beer in the glass, and Rossi it’s your round mate!

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Play offs

Post by rossi » Fri May 13, 2022 7:57 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:59 am
Just so it’s on record, I disagree with Rossi’s view on playing ugly football to get promoted. I stick with my original view in that we need to continue playing total football while figuring out ways to manufacture goals in other areas. Sure maybe a few physical additions to the squad will help the cause in this league, but to ignore the improvement since KM took over is negligent. Apples & pears, just my two cents. Good football will eventually bring success no matter what league you’re in. At this point to totally change our playing style will certainly keep us in this league for an extended period time. So now I’ll take a sip of my half full beer in the glass, and Rossi it’s your round mate!
ha - also for the record, it's my opinion that no matter what kind of football we play next season - pure football or kick and rush - we will still be playing in League 1 for the 2023/2024 season. That's my opinion of course, and probably a bit silly to make a prediction like that at this stage given that we don't know what playing staff we - or indeed other clubs - will have. But it's just a hunch I have, and to be honest I've yet to see anything that would make me change my mind.

Tangfastic
Posts: 4462
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Play offs

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 13, 2022 8:12 am

rossi wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:57 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:59 am
Just so it’s on record, I disagree with Rossi’s view on playing ugly football to get promoted. I stick with my original view in that we need to continue playing total football while figuring out ways to manufacture goals in other areas. Sure maybe a few physical additions to the squad will help the cause in this league, but to ignore the improvement since KM took over is negligent. Apples & pears, just my two cents. Good football will eventually bring success no matter what league you’re in. At this point to totally change our playing style will certainly keep us in this league for an extended period time. So now I’ll take a sip of my half full beer in the glass, and Rossi it’s your round mate!
ha - also for the record, it's my opinion that no matter what kind of football we play next season - pure football or kick and rush - we will still be playing in League 1 for the 2023/2024 season. That's my opinion of course, and probably a bit silly to make a prediction like that at this stage given that we don't know what playing staff we - or indeed other clubs - will have. But it's just a hunch I have, and to be honest I've yet to see anything that would make me change my mind.
Not saying you're wrong - but trying to be positive we may only need those extra few quality players to make a big difference. We've got a better core group of players to start next season than we've had previously. Recruitment is going to be key. We don't need an entire new squad- just 3-4 quality players. But I agree that we've got to change our style a bit to suit the league. If we continue how we're going we'll play pretty football and still be mid-table again.

Not sure why we can only play either total football or hoofball. Can't we just tweak it and add a bit of directness and grit to what we already have? No need to tear up the script, but there's too many games where possession football and trying to score the perfect goal won't work. There's been too many games where I've felt with 20 minutes to go the opposition have our number and we don't look like scoring. Doesn't matter if we have 70% possession and can string together 20 passes if we can't create chances.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Play offs

Post by rossi » Fri May 13, 2022 9:14 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:12 am
rossi wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:57 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:59 am
Just so it’s on record, I disagree with Rossi’s view on playing ugly football to get promoted. I stick with my original view in that we need to continue playing total football while figuring out ways to manufacture goals in other areas. Sure maybe a few physical additions to the squad will help the cause in this league, but to ignore the improvement since KM took over is negligent. Apples & pears, just my two cents. Good football will eventually bring success no matter what league you’re in. At this point to totally change our playing style will certainly keep us in this league for an extended period time. So now I’ll take a sip of my half full beer in the glass, and Rossi it’s your round mate!
ha - also for the record, it's my opinion that no matter what kind of football we play next season - pure football or kick and rush - we will still be playing in League 1 for the 2023/2024 season. That's my opinion of course, and probably a bit silly to make a prediction like that at this stage given that we don't know what playing staff we - or indeed other clubs - will have. But it's just a hunch I have, and to be honest I've yet to see anything that would make me change my mind.
Not saying you're wrong - but trying to be positive we may only need those extra few quality players to make a big difference. We've got a better core group of players to start next season than we've had previously. Recruitment is going to be key. We don't need an entire new squad- just 3-4 quality players. But I agree that we've got to change our style a bit to suit the league. If we continue how we're going we'll play pretty football and still be mid-table again.

Not sure why we can only play either total football or hoofball. Can't we just tweak it and add a bit of directness and grit to what we already have? No need to tear up the script, but there's too many games where possession football and trying to score the perfect goal won't work. There's been too many games where I've felt with 20 minutes to go the opposition have our number and we don't look like scoring. Doesn't matter if we have 70% possession and can string together 20 passes if we can't create chances.
I completely agree, I used the extremes of total football and hoofball only because those are what have already been mentioned farther up this thread. In reality, what is needed to get out of this league is to be somewhere in the middle of these 2 extremes. I hope that KM is able to get the team to play in this way, but it must be remembered that as well as he has done here he is still relatively inexperienced and that shows in certain quarters. For example, his seeming reluctance to play the younger inexperienced players (ironic really, considering his inexperience and the chance he has been given by ITFC), and his insistence on playing just one main striker. I know that one main striker seems to be the modern way, but I'm far from convinced that it's right for this particular league.

BlueBalls
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Play offs

Post by BlueBalls » Fri May 13, 2022 2:19 pm

The Premier league clubs manage to play their rising star youngsters, why can't we?

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 5843
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Play offs

Post by goldandblack » Fri May 13, 2022 2:40 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:19 pm
The Premier league clubs manage to play their rising star youngsters, why can't we?

Managers today are under such pressure they cant risk it, Your new manager has only been there 5 minutes so i think he's under even more pressure, sure in training he gets to know who's who. owners and fans don't except losing regardless of who's playing, a sign of the time aye.
its a shame the days of having quality reserve leagues seemed to have gone,

Most premier league sides have just one agenda, that's getting enough points to stay in the Premier and get their riches, then they play the kids. which a lot of them are on loan and on agreement to play so many matches,

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 5843
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Play offs

Post by goldandblack » Fri May 13, 2022 3:01 pm

I find it hard watching football even on the box these days.
they recently worked the average match the ball is actually in play for only 60 minutes,

the so called superstars now spend so much time cheating, rolling around on the ground trying to get fellow professionals booked or sent off,
they must do these despicable acts in training, So what a bunch of hypocrite managers are attacking the officials with venom in their faces.

My team are just as bad if not worse, good quality players looking for a foul than actually staying on their feet and doing their job.

wont start on the Spitting. :astroll:

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 25643
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Play offs

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 13, 2022 4:23 pm

I seem to recall once the play off hopes were dashed we did play Baggott and Humphreys while the other young striker was set to get a run out too but was injured or unwell

Tangfastic
Posts: 4462
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Play offs

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 13, 2022 5:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:23 pm
I seem to recall once the play off hopes were dashed we did play Baggott and Humphreys while the other young striker was set to get a run out too but was injured or unwell
The good thing about that is that they earned their appearances - and weren't given them to appease the fans. Baggott was next in line because Burgess got suspended/ injured.... and did well. Humphreys also got his chance .... and laid on a goal. We've had this before where kids get minutes in dead- rubber games and the fans get excited.... but usually leads to nothing. Baggott looks like he can get a good loan deal next season and Humphreys looks like he could be a useful squad player with his versatility. Humphreys looks a special talent. Might be good man-management to make them earn their chances.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Play offs

Post by rossi » Sat May 14, 2022 8:15 am

So I deliberately watched the play-off SF last night between Luton and Huddersfield to see if the gulf between Championship and L1 is as wide as I thought it was.

And it is - it's huge.

The main difference I noticed was the speed with which the ball is moved around and the speed with which players get rid of the ball, even when passing sideways or backwards the ball is moved quickly and accurately.

And Chaplin Burns and Celina could try for 1000 attempts but would never deliver as good a free kick as led to Luton's equaliser.

One thing that is the same between the 2 leagues, however, is the standard of the officials - shocking.

Tangfastic
Posts: 4462
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Play offs

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 14, 2022 9:48 am

Not really related to this thread, but not worthy of another - but who else didn't know it was the day of the FA Cup Final? Didn't realise until I did the Prediction questions. Didn't even know who was in it.

Back in the day it used to be massive. Remember Swap Shop covered it in the morning, bumper Football Focus covering the build up hours in advance. Totally dominated the day. I guess it's been superceded by the PL and the Champions League. It means more to come 4th and qualify for the Champions League now.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4880
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Play offs

Post by Andym » Sat May 14, 2022 10:46 am

rossi wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:15 am
So I deliberately watched the play-off SF last night between Luton and Huddersfield to see if the gulf between Championship and L1 is as wide as I thought it was.

And it is - it's huge.

The main difference I noticed was the speed with which the ball is moved around and the speed with which players get rid of the ball, even when passing sideways or backwards the ball is moved quickly and accurately.

And Chaplin Burns and Celina could try for 1000 attempts but would never deliver as good a free kick as led to Luton's equaliser.

One thing that is the same between the 2 leagues, however, is the standard of the officials - shocking.
I know we see things differently, but that is exactly why we need to play our football as we do. It means we are well equipped for if/when we get promotion. The likes of Rotherham with their long ball/bully boy football might get promoted but can’t stay there. I don’t think we need to improve much on our quick passing, at our best we’re do it well. What were would need to do if promoted is learn to defend against teams who move the ball as well as we do.

I didn’t see the match last night as I’m in a caravan in a field in Cornwall for a family wedding, but your other point is spot on. If we could learn to be effective from set pieces, particularly corners, we could have made at least the playoffs this year playing our attractive football. In my opinion that’s all we would need to do. Some of our corners are poor, but we do take the occasional good one, but still don’t score. Oh for a central defender who could score from a corner.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 25643
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Play offs

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 14, 2022 11:13 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:48 am
Not really related to this thread, but not worthy of another - but who else didn't know it was the day of the FA Cup Final? Didn't realise until I did the Prediction questions. Didn't even know who was in it.

Back in the day it used to be massive. Remember Swap Shop covered it in the morning, bumper Football Focus covering the build up hours in advance. Totally dominated the day. I guess it's been superceded by the PL and the Champions League. It means more to come 4th and qualify for the Champions League now.
Exactly that for me too, admittedly I'm in Sorrento last Two weeks so football really not high on my list of priorities but I was oblivious to it being FA Cup final weekend until I did my predictions, and oh those halcyon days of the FA Cup build up on swap shop etc

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Play offs

Post by rossi » Sat May 14, 2022 11:53 am

Andym wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:46 am
rossi wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:15 am
So I deliberately watched the play-off SF last night between Luton and Huddersfield to see if the gulf between Championship and L1 is as wide as I thought it was.

And it is - it's huge.

The main difference I noticed was the speed with which the ball is moved around and the speed with which players get rid of the ball, even when passing sideways or backwards the ball is moved quickly and accurately.

And Chaplin Burns and Celina could try for 1000 attempts but would never deliver as good a free kick as led to Luton's equaliser.

One thing that is the same between the 2 leagues, however, is the standard of the officials - shocking.
I know we see things differently, but that is exactly why we need to play our football as we do. It means we are well equipped for if/when we get promotion. The likes of Rotherham with their long ball/bully boy football might get promoted but can’t stay there. I don’t think we need to improve much on our quick passing, at our best we’re do it well. What were would need to do if promoted is learn to defend against teams who move the ball as well as we do.

I didn’t see the match last night as I’m in a caravan in a field in Cornwall for a family wedding, but your other point is spot on. If we could learn to be effective from set pieces, particularly corners, we could have made at least the playoffs this year playing our attractive football. In my opinion that’s all we would need to do. Some of our corners are poor, but we do take the occasional good one, but still don’t score. Oh for a central defender who could score from a corner.
I think the problem with Rotherham not being able to stay in the Championship is firmly down to the fact that they can't afford to get the extra quality in needed for that league. They are, however, successful in getting out of L1 because they play the type of football needed to get out of it. Of course, that will not work in the Championship, but you need to get out of L1 first.
If, this season, we had managed to get promoted then I think we would have had to invest heavily in order to stay there - we would not have to change our style of football, but would have to change personnel because what we have is so pedestrian. But like I said, first task is to get out of this league, and I'm still convinced that to do that we need to be more physical and direct.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 25643
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Play offs

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 14, 2022 12:13 pm

Let's not forget the team was built by Cook and not KM and I think we were limited in how we could play attacking wise, im not sure we had the personnel to play the Rotherham way, I have a feeling KM will be going for a big Darryl Murphy type striker to widen our options and hopefully one that is far more effective than Bonne.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Play offs

Post by rossi » Sat May 14, 2022 12:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:13 pm
Let's not forget the team was built by Cook and not KM and I think we were limited in how we could play attacking wise, im not sure we had the personnel to play the Rotherham way, I have a feeling KM will be going for a big Darryl Murphy type striker to widen our options and hopefully one that is far more effective than Bonne.
Yes, I see that George Hirst (son of David) has been mentioned. Don't know too much about him, but at 6'3" sounds promising. Of course, I would like to see 2 big strikers ( as in Phillips/Crawford, Mariner/Whymark, Bent/Bent, et al), but I don't suppose that will ever happen

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 15270
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Play offs

Post by Charnwood » Tue May 17, 2022 10:34 pm

Did anyone else watch the Nottingham Forest v Sheffield United game tonight. OMG what a game and what a penalty shoot out with Samba in the Forest goal saving the first two United penalties and the last.

… and to think Forest only took one point from their first 7 games and were bottom of the table. An absolute fairy tale season

As Rossi said earlier, the gulf between us and the top of the Championship is massive.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Play offs

Post by rossi » Wed May 18, 2022 8:32 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:34 pm
Did anyone else watch the Nottingham Forest v Sheffield United game tonight. OMG what a game and what a penalty shoot out with Samba in the Forest goal saving the first two United penalties and the last.

… and to think Forest only took one point from their first 7 games and were bottom of the table. An absolute fairy tale season

As Rossi said earlier, the gulf between us and the top of the Championship is massive.
It was a super game - and to think that just a few seasons ago we were rubbing shoulders with NF and SU and now look at the gulf between us, breaks your heart.

I took particular interest in the style of play of both teams - not pure football, not hoofball, but a mixture of the 2 and definitely not tippy-tappy. NF especially employed the long ball particularly well.

BlueBalls
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Play offs

Post by BlueBalls » Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 pm

It'd be good to have Forest back in the Prem.

mendipblue
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Re: Play offs

Post by mendipblue » Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 pm
It'd be good to have Forest back in the Prem.
But they would have to start playing pure football like Man City and Liverpool to be successful as opposed to there hoof ball style. To be honest Sheff Utd were the better side.

LizinSpain
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Play offs

Post by LizinSpain » Thu May 19, 2022 11:44 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 pm
It'd be good to have Forest back in the Prem.
Have to disagree I'm afraid! 2 of my BBFs husbands are Forest fans and I'll never here the end of it they win!!! :lol: :wink: :lol:

BlueBalls
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Play offs

Post by BlueBalls » Thu May 19, 2022 4:59 pm

One of my first games as a child was versus Forest. That's why I am saying.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 15270
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Play offs

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 20, 2022 10:48 pm

I just love Forest which goes back to the late 70’s watching Brian Clough’s Forest on TV winning the league and the European Cup, omg they were so entertaining. More recently when we lived in Nottingham we went almost every week and enjoyed going to watch them far more than watching Leicester City who were also close by. As much as I like Huddersfield for me it has to be Forest who go up.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4880
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Play offs

Post by Andym » Sat May 21, 2022 10:51 am

Ten years ago, Luton lost in the Conference playoffs for the third time in four years - it might have been the consecutive seasons, I can’t remember.
Two years later in 2014 they won promotion back to league 2, and a couple of years later successive promotions took them to the Championship. This season they lost in the playoffs to the prem.
How a club could survive in the prem with, I believe, a stadium that holds little more than 10,000, I don’t know. But it’s a tremendous success story for what most of us would call a small team. It will be interesting to see if they can mansion maintain a challenge next season; but for a club that size, surviving in the Championship is an achievement.

User avatar
JohnnyB
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 am

Re: Play offs

Post by JohnnyB » Sat May 21, 2022 2:05 pm

Go Sunderland just because it would be one big club less next year in L1 and because we never go to the stadium of light and get a result.

Go Forest because it would be nice to see them up there again, and they’re called forest.

Go Vietnam in the SEA games final v Thailand.

And go Liverpool! The neutral’s favourite big club (apart from maybe Barcelona)

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9662
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Play offs

Post by saint jude » Sat May 21, 2022 3:26 pm

Painful talking play-offs when time and again we f*ck up ourselves and miss out. Kind of hurts to see what might have been and someone else having a shot at "glory". Would wish all the same for Wycombe to it, try to favor an underdog and they deserve a chance at being at Second League level in August. Sunderland in that league is nothing new, hope they miss out.

Try to look at Championship issue from a Derby perspective. They've had a relegation (and) the last thing they need is biggest rivals going the opposite way, that would have to hurt for them without question. Huddersfield haven't had much to root for since the 1930's so would be good for them to make it back.

Cup Final day in Scotland also, got to go for a Hearts victory, can't abide the other. Midweek was good with the Final defeat in Spain, they took a lot of fans for the trip out there and tried hard but it wasn't to be. Felt for a moment a level of sympathy then had to check oneself in that should be rooting for each misfortune they encounter.

Hope the Cup goes back to Edinburgh later today, they got to realize they need to take advantage of the situation and act while their opponents are still hurting.

Post Reply