Rumors' & Transfers - Summer 2022

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Re: Rumors' & Transfers - Summer 2022

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:07 am

Some players came on board when wasn't quite taking notice. We have some new forwards in Tyreece Jules and Freddy Ladapo, maybe behind the times in keeping up with all and any team activities and players brought in. Defensive names like Ball and Leigh we have now, really got to keep up to speed with what's going on at the club but excuses can be made.

Kind of surprised Vaclav Hladky and Walton remain with us. The former seemed surplus at times last season and didn't feature much while Walton was one of the players of the season and easily one of the very best outside of the top two divisions, stands to reason some higher league club would show an interest. Guess goalkeepers are hard to bring in or we just decided to stick with what we got.

Looking at the team as a whole and with changes made, a lot will depend on how the new kids fit in and the time it takes to adjust to a new club and players around them. It woud be churlish to dismiss the players before a ball has been touched ahead of a new season particularly the new additions but some will wonder quite what to expect in the months ahead. A good start will be imperative but some will question if what we got can accomplish it or meet certain demands and expectation.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:33 am

Yep, that's how I take it too BB. Flexibility being the key.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:40 am

I hope you are both right. I'm confident KM knows what he's doing, I just think it's important to play your best players.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:14 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:23 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:55 pm
I’m a big fan of KM and I’ve supported his decisions while a few others have questioned his actions. I read the article on KM explaining about there’s no magic recipe and players will be rotated accordingly. Not sure I agree with that philosophy for a league one squad. I believe you always start your strongest players and sub when adjustments are needed. Let’s not over think this KM, we’re not ManU with an abundance of talent.
I think KM's point is the strongest 11 for one match isn't necessarily the strongest 11 for the next match. Hence rotation to make it the strongest 11 again....... almost like a bespoke 11 depending on who we are playing.
I think that approach would only really work if you knew 100% the team your opponents were going to field

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:21 pm

More the style of the team, as you know certain teams will have a certain approach to games and we will select accordingly. I suspect ball and evans will be the ones roaring the most depending on opposition.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:32 pm

I would like to think KM is saying " sod what other teams do, let them worry about us "

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:54 am

In some ways that is true, ie he is thinking less about their threats but rather about how they will try and stop us - and how to counter that.

We know at home teams are coming to sit 11 behind the ball for example, so it’ll be how he adjusts personnel to help break those teams down. Where as away against better teams I suspect we will adjust differently, nothing huge but small tweak of formation and players.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:17 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:33 am
Yep, that's how I take it too BB. Flexibility being the key.
I agree with you both in principle , but just hope there’s a core of the team making regular appearances each week otherwise there’ll be too much chopping and changing and thereby a lack of continuity. It’s fine lines tbh. Previous managers fell into that trap, Keane changed the team every week, Lambert rotated every week . There was never a “ team”, just an 11 put out every week. Here’s hoping KMcK gets it right 👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:34 am

There is definitely a core, most of the back line is set, morsey is a given etc

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:39 am

In my opinion the core of a team is normally made up along a spine. Eg: goalkeeper, two central defenders, one or two midfielders, a playmaker and a striker. The core of a team cannot possibly stretch across the pitch, that would be unbalanced. If I’m honest we probably have the makings of a core, it would be interesting if we could agree who the players might be. I’m happy to start with Walton, Woolfenden. Morsy and Lapado (who is a guess as I’ve never seen him play ). Over to you guys who may have seen the new signings in action.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:12 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:39 am
In my opinion the core of a team is normally made up along a spine. Eg: goalkeeper, two central defenders, one or two midfielders, a playmaker and a striker. The core of a team cannot possibly stretch across the pitch, that would be unbalanced. If I’m honest we probably have the makings of a core, it would be interesting if we could agree who the players might be. I’m happy to start with Walton, Woolfenden. Morsy and Lapado (who is a guess as I’ve never seen him play ). Over to you guys who may have seen the new signings in action.
Certainly wouldn't disagree with those . I would keep (if going with a back three) Walton, Donacien, Wolfie, Edmundsen as a defensive core. Certainly Morsy is nailed on (he seems to be really getting in the thick of it, attacking wise, in the friendlies! Ladapo up front too. That is 6 of a starting 11.
Certainly would be looking at Burns, Chaplin and Harness to be very regular starters, leaving 2 other places to be fought for and therefore adaptable to the type of team we are likely to play. With the number of subs allowed this season, we should be able to name a very strong bench, players who can come on and up the tempo if needed

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:38 pm

Possible signing ?

Beren Cross
@BerenCross
·
Follow
Leeds have agreed a deal with Ipswich for Leif Davis. Less than a year on his contract and unlikely to feature much. Should tear it up down there. #lufc

leeds-live.co.uk
Leif Davis set for Leeds United exit after deal agreed with Ipswich Town
Leif Davis is set to sign for Ipswich Town after Leeds United agreed to a transfer with the left-back unlikely to figure and less than one year on

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:40 pm

Looks like Leif Davis about to sign

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... e-24584815

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Town are closing in on the signing of Leeds United left-back Lief Davis and we understand the deal is expected to be confirmed in the next 48 hours.

TWTD revealed earlier this month that the Blues had made an offer of £1 million mark plus a further £500,000 in potential top-ups for the 22-year-old.

The final fee is likely to be in excess of that figure with discussions between the clubs having been ongoing for a number of weeks while Davis has been away with the Leeds squad on their pre-season tour

We understand that the clubs have agreed a deal but the move is not yet quite done with some paperwork still to be completed but that it’s anticipated it will go through in the next couple of days.

Newcastle-born Davis was with Morecambe’s youth set-up as a schoolboy before joining the Elland Road club’s academy in July 2018.

Davis, who is 6ft tall and can also operate as a wing-back and at centre-half, spent last season on loan at AFC Bournemouth in the Championship, making 10 starts and five sub appearances, a move which was initially viewed as a precursor to a permanent switch.

However, injury limited his involvement and he returned to Elland Road before the end of the campaign.

For his parent club Davis has made six first-team starts and has made eight appearances from the bench.

Town have already signed one left-back this summer, former Morecambe man Greg Leigh, however it had been expected that they would look to bring in a second before the start of the season.

Davis's impending arrival may well see Matt Penney move on before the end of the window.

Best me to it Tang 😂😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:07 pm

Good to see but rather it was a striker

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:18 pm

I trust KMc but I would be happier if Davis had more experience with just 21 games played that's not much, looks like Penny's time is up as well as a few others I would think if more are coming in.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:07 pm
Good to see but rather it was a striker
Agreed. Obviously none of us know what is going on behind the scenes but hopefully we are not putting all our eggs in one basket regarding our interest in Hirst. Then again knowing Ashton & Co we could sign somebody who hasn’t even been mentioned yet.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:27 pm

I can't see us being able to afford Hirst and Celina after the signing of Davis so it looks to me Celina won't be coming.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:45 pm

We could, if we offloaded some players I suspect, KB

Perhaps , Players like?
Harper
Penney
Burgess
ElMizuoni

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:45 pm
We could, if we offloaded some players I suspect, KB

Perhaps , Players like?
Harper
Penney
Burgess
ElMizuoni
Agree but don't think Burgess would go unless Ndaba has impressed KMc.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:57 pm

I’ll be honest with you KB, I’m not sure either Burgess or Edmundson are that good at bringing the ball out of defence like Donacian and Woolfie do. It kinda limits us down that left side. Maybe the two new LB’s will solve that problem (I’m assuming we do actually sign the Leeds player).

But we can’t grumble about our squad can we . It’s the best it’s been in decades I feel.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:15 pm

I think this is McKenna’s aim isn’t it “ two players for every position” and a versatility amongst the players to play more than one position if possible.

Just need that marquee striker signing now dont we!

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:18 pm

Davies confirmed on the clubs site now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:19 pm

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:19 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:18 pm
Yes just seen it that was a quick 48 hours 😂

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:20 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:18 pm
Lol you’ve got a faster broadband than me !! :lol:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:22 pm

Excellent news, this means some are out the door surely to free up space and money.

I can see a striker arrival soon to complete the dealings, Celina wont be coming, going to be Hirst.

Bold statement and could be wrong but this is a promising sign for the season ahead.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:52 pm

That’s brilliant news on Davis! As long as he doesn’t get re-injured I think that’s a good bit of business. In Ashton & KM we trust! COYB!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:42 pm

So, on the assumption that we will make that striker signing soon. WHERE, just WHERE is there a weakness in our team now? It has balance throughout and two players for every position.

COYBSSSSS 👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:25 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:42 pm
So, on the assumption that we will make that striker signing soon. WHERE, just WHERE is there a weakness in our team now? It has balance throughout and two players for every position.

COYBSSSSS 👍
The potential weakness is creating chances. And taking corners. We may have that in some of the new signings, but no evidence yet. I’m so honest I think much of it is about confidence - when we move it quickly like the last game of the season, we can play through the opposition. But it’s having the confidence to do it.