Rumors' & Transfers - Summer 2022

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Rumors' & Transfers - Summer 2022

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:50 pm

Saw it on ITFC Away Days, not sure how reputable that is though.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:06 pm

Cameron Humphreys has signed a three year deal, great news 👏👏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:14 pm

Brilliant news

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:14 pm
Brilliant news
It's brilliant news only if he's given the game time he needs to develop, and not spend his time sitting on the bench or playing in the U23's. That is the only issue I have with KM - his reluctance to play the younger players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:24 am

I think that may change this season Gary, especially where Humphreys and Baggott are concerned, not sure anyone else is ready yet tbh.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:15 am

Transfer window opens tomorrow - June 10th.

Expect to see us splash some cash tomorrow. Come on, Ashers!

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:55 pm

Not sure how it would work if we spent big fee’s due to the financial rules? Ie does salary AND fee count? If so makes sense to try and get decent free players and use the money for wages.

I wouldn’t expect us to be spending more than 1-2m in total - this is league one and we probably have one of the highest salary totals in the division (including an allowance left for 2-3 more signings)

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:40 pm

Holy signs 2 year contract with Carlisle.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... le-9027238

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:07 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:18 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:14 pm
Brilliant news
It's brilliant news only if he's given the game time he needs to develop, and not spend his time sitting on the bench or playing in the U23's. That is the only issue I have with KM - his reluctance to play the younger players.
There’s a common theme here though isn’t there . Just about every manager that’s been at this club over the last decade had been accused of not giving youth its chance . I like many fans want to see it …. But maybe we don’t see the so called bigger picture ? 🤷‍♀️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:19 am

Maybe its just a case of us wanting too much of it ? We do after all play youngsters when they are good enough, Woolfenden, Downes, Dozzell, El Mizouni, Clements, Dobra, Lankester, Emmanuel, Kenlock to name a few have all been given a chance at a young age in recent years, Baggott, Humphreys and Gibbs also had cameo appearances, I'm sure there are others too.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:50 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:19 am
Maybe its just a case of us wanting too much of it ? We do after all play youngsters when they are good enough, Woolfenden, Downes, Dozzell, El Mizouni, Clements, Dobra, Lankester, Emmanuel, Kenlock to name a few have all been given a chance at a young age in recent years, Baggott, Humphreys and Gibbs also had cameo appearances, I'm sure there are others too.
That's true, Mike, but only to a point. Those players have been given limited opportunities, but only when more senior players are injured or suspended and there is no other option - as soon as those missing players are available again then the young replacements are invariably left out.

I agree with Liz that this has been a common theme in this club over the past few seasons, but I don't believe there is a 'bigger picture', simply that our last few managers have been over cautious. At many other clubs, teenagers are household names because their managers believed in them and played them regularly, whilst ours have been left to fester in the U23s

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:07 pm

This could be our best signing Elkan Baggott signs a new deal until 2025 with an option.👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:58 pm

Very early days but he has promise, hopefully he can get a good loan this year and bring his game on to the next level.

I don’t think he will get enough games here this season. Especially as we should look at Ndaba

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:25 pm

Getting Baggott signed up is potentially massive, I think this lad is going to be a very good player indeed, in fact I tend to disagree with the idea of loaning him out, I think he can push on next season and get some game time here, for me on what I have seen he is going to be a cut above Ndaba, I would play Baggott over Ndaba already.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm

I th8nk he’ll go out on a season long loan…wouldn’t be surprised if he goes to the same Club Ndaba was at last season.

Had to laugh at Barry Fry’s comment re Simpson, that Town aren’t keen to sell him to promotion rivals…. I don’t consider Peterborough to be rivals at all. There will be better teams in this division than them this season I think.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm

Not trying to come across difficult, but what have we actually seen? 2 games - Rotherham and charlton? Maybe some have seen a lot of u23 games?

I haven’t seen Ndaba at all to be fair though. Just would feel right to give him the chance given he has earnt it via such a good loan, provides a pathway and Baggot has time on his side to go get in 30-40 games and gain that experience of playing weekly fighting for points, then come back still at a young age and push for a place

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:42 pm

I honestly think we’ll loan Baggott out this season. He won’t get a lot 9f game time in the first team, but he does need week in week out in yer face senior football to toughen him up.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:45 pm

Baggott out on loan with recall in January if we want or need him back might be best.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:13 am

All depends on how brave the manager is going to be, and how much belief he has in his young players.

Looking at what we have - and assuming KM will stick with a back 3 - Woolfenden is nailed on for a place.
So that leaves Edmundson and Burgess to take the other 2 slots? I think that Baggot and Ndaba are better options than both of these, so I'm with Mike on this one, I would play Baggot Ndaba and Woolfenden as my first choice back 3

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:28 am

I would agree with that tbh . I don’t think either of the senior players are as comfortable on the ball snd bringing it forward like Woolfie does . Mick Mills made exactly that point last season and how that inhibited our outlet down the left . I don’t know what Baggott is like as haven’t seen him play . Not have I seen Ndaba, but the reports from his loan last season were very encouraging and that is exactly what he was doing for that team he played for . So it could be that left side of defence is very much up for grabs. All good for competition 👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:46 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:13 am
All depends on how brave the manager is going to be, and how much belief he has in his young players.

Looking at what we have - and assuming KM will stick with a back 3 - Woolfenden is nailed on for a place.
So that leaves Edmundson and Burgess to take the other 2 slots? I think that Baggot and Ndaba are better options than both of these, so I'm with Mike on this one, I would play Baggot Ndaba and Woolfenden as my first choice back 3
My fear with that back 3 is that Woolfenden has looked very good when he has experience beside him - Chambers a few years back, and last season. Without that experience (when Chambers was playing full back) Woolfenden was lost. Of course he might have improved since then, but to play him with two inexperienced partners would be very risky in my opinion. But you could certainly try one of the two.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:49 am

rossi wrote:

I would be happy with a back Three of Woolfenden/ Edmundson/Baggott, yes Edmundson has an error in him but he also does a lot of good stuff too, im not sure KM will start the season with Baggott but for me he should be here, he's been gaining good experience with Indonesia already which is far better than grubbing around around at somewhere like Crawley.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:10 am

rossi wrote:

Well if we go with the back 3 like last season- its Donacien (RCB), Woolf (CCB) and a LCB. And that will very likely be Edmundson. Ndaba and Baggott aren't going to get ahead of Edmundson if he's fit. And Burgess is likely to be the next in line.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:23 am

shabba wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm
Not trying to come across difficult, but what have we actually seen? 2 games - Rotherham and charlton? Maybe some have seen a lot of u23 games?

I haven’t seen Ndaba at all to be fair though. Just would feel right to give him the chance given he has earnt it via such a good loan, provides a pathway and Baggot has time on his side to go get in 30-40 games and gain that experience of playing weekly fighting for points, then come back still at a young age and push for a place
I'm with you there. Don't understand the clamour to get Baggott into the side. It's only 2 games. He looked assured enough on the ball, but he still is raw in the defensive side. An experienced, tough striker would have fun with him and I thought in the 2 games he was lacking a bit with the defensive part of his game, although he was decent enough. Get him a season loan. It brought on Woolf and Ndaba, so why not him? And LCB is one area we're really strong in depth.How is he going to leap-frog Edmundson, Burgess and Ndaba by virtue of 2 dead-rubber games? We've still got the Evans-era syndrome of wanting to fill the side with academy players. One for the future with a loan out behind him, for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:24 am

Bloody hell forgot about JD lmfao

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:23 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:10 am
rossi wrote:

Well if we go with the back 3 like last season- its Donacien (RCB), Woolf (CCB) and a LCB. And that will very likely be Edmundson. Ndaba and Baggott aren't going to get ahead of Edmundson if he's fit. And Burgess is likely to be the next in line.
Exactly this!

You cannot take out JD, he and Burns work so well together and the way he covers that right side is perfect.

Edmudson is the one you would say has competition, and I agree Burges is 'in the way' of others in that sense. I personally feel he is decent enough for league one so would keep him and loan out Baggott as I really do feel he needs proper game time in a battling side.

Then we can test out Ndaba against the other defenders and see if he is any better etc, if not he can move on next season and bring in Baggott for his chance to do the same.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:29 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:23 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
rossi wrote:

Exactly this!

You cannot take out JD, he and Burns work so well together and the way he covers that right side is perfect.

Edmudson is the one you would say has competition, and I agree Burges is 'in the way' of others in that sense. I personally feel he is decent enough for league one so would keep him and loan out Baggott as I really do feel he needs proper game time in a battling side.

Then we can test out Ndaba against the other defenders and see if he is any better etc, if not he can move on next season and bring in Baggott for his chance to do the same.
Who said anything about leaving JD out?
I certainly didn't.
It's just that I think he'd be better employed as a proper wing back.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:23 am
shabba wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm

I'm with you there. Don't understand the clamour to get Baggott into the side. It's only 2 games. He looked assured enough on the ball, but he still is raw in the defensive side. An experienced, tough striker would have fun with him and I thought in the 2 games he was lacking a bit with the defensive part of his game, although he was decent enough. Get him a season loan. It brought on Woolf and Ndaba, so why not him? And LCB is one area we're really strong in depth.How is he going to leap-frog Edmundson, Burgess and Ndaba by virtue of 2 dead-rubber games? We've still got the Evans-era syndrome of wanting to fill the side with academy players. One for the future with a loan out behind him, for me.
In one of those games Baggott was described as the best player on the pitch by the so called commentators and experts, not sure he was lacking in much at all that day.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:44 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:29 pm
shabba wrote:
Tangfastic wrote:

Exactly this!

I certainly didn't.
So you'd play JD as RWB? Move Burns somewhere else? KM won't do that as I think Burns works great for his formation etc.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:05 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:44 pm
rossi wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:29 pm
shabba wrote:

Exactly this!

I certainly didn't.
So you'd play JD as RWB? Move Burns somewhere else? KM won't do that as I think Burns works great for his formation etc.
Indeed I would - he can defend, dribble, run, and is a good crosser of the ball, so meets my criteria for a good wing back.

I have always favoured 3-5-2, so if I was to play Burns it would never be as wing back (he's not a wing back, he cant defend and his crossing is woeful) it would be inside the right wing back leaving him to do what he's best at (running at players and laying off the ball for the strikers) - in that position he would still be able to carry on his good understanding with JD