Grant joins Town as first team coach

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Grant joins Town as first team coach

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu May 26, 2022 4:11 pm

Retiring Manchester United goalkeeper Lee Grant is joining Town as first-team coach.

Grant, 39, announced that he is hanging up his gloves earlier today and he is now set to be reunited with Blues manager Kieran McKenna and his assistant Martyn Pert at Portman Road.

Town have confirmed that Rene Gilmartin will continue in the role of head of goalkeeping which he took on in December.
This is a fantastic opportunity for me, and I am really looking forward to it,” Grant told the club site.

“I know Kieran and Martyn having worked with them at Manchester United and I loved the work we were being given from a playing perspective. Now I am excited about working with them again, albeit in a different role.

“I feel really blessed that I have been able to make the decision to retire and go straight into an exciting role with Ipswich Town.

“Over the last few years, I have been preparing for this moment by obtaining my coaching licences, expanding my network and working on a business degree.

“It has all been with the intention of being in a good place for a smooth transition at this point in my career.

“I could not be joining a club with a more exciting footing than Ipswich either. There is new ownership, new direction, a driven manager and a squad that is also hungry to go and achieve things.

“As I say, I am excited to get to work and I will be ready for when the squad returns ahead of the new season.”

Manager McKenna added: “We are so happy to have Lee on board with the coaching staff.

“I have worked closely with Lee and he has been transitioning ready to make the move into a coaching role as soon as he called time on his playing career.

“He has been a fantastic professional and he is someone that has great knowledge of the game. He has always been a respected member of every dressing room he has been in.

“He will bring a wealth of quality to his role and, given he had a number of opportunities for his next step in the game, it’s a great sign for the club that he has made that commitment to us.

“Lee will add value right across the board and he will fit in really well with the coaching staff. He will work with players on an individual basis but will also help the team as a collective, as well as working closely with the forwards in the squad.”

Grant was a youth player with Watford but made his senior breakthrough with Derby, going on to have spells with Burnley (two, the first on loan), Oldham (loan), Sheffield Wednesday, a second stint with the Rams and then Stoke before joining United in 2018 as a back-up keeper where he made one first team start and one sub appearance.

Speaking about his retirement from playing Hemel Hempstead-born Grant told the Red Devils official website: “After 511 appearances, I’ve decided it’s the right time to move into the next stage of my career.

“There have been so many fun moments mixed in with the odd challenge, but I’m grateful for each and every one.

“Fulfilling a boyhood dream of playing for Manchester United was something I thought was out of reach, so to have achieved that fills me with great pride and emotion!

“As I move into the next stage of my career, I’m excited and hungry about the beginning of a new journey and the hard work that lies ahead!”

In September last year Grant spoke to United's official website about working on his coaching qualifications, including his UEFA A-Licence and an LMA Diploma in Football Management.

Hopefully it's all coming together I can't wait for the season to start.👍

hallamblue

Re: Grant joins Town as first team coach

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 26, 2022 9:11 pm

I’ll be frank here .. Who? ….. Why? ….. Job for his mate ? …. Just how many more “ coaches” do we need ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 26, 2022 9:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:11 pm
Just how many more “ coaches” do we need ?
Quite a few more than can handle 8000 miles apparently.

And err, if you're going to be Frank, I want to be 'Arry.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 26, 2022 10:13 pm

Lol… thought you were meant to be on close season shut down and away on yer hols marko ? :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 27, 2022 4:58 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:13 pm
Lol… thought you were meant to be on close season shut down and away on yer hols marko ? :wink:
Hols on hold this year, Hallam. 🤦‍♂️ The wife did say, “Come on, you need a break away.”
Prefer KitKats.
Chunky ones.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:01 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:58 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Hols on hold this year, Hallam. 🤦‍♂️ The wife did say, “Come on, you need a break away.”
Prefer KitKats.
Chunky ones.
Do they still have the Curly Wurlys over there? I’d love one, but unfortunately it would probably pull my teeth out! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:47 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:01 pm
marko69 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Prefer KitKats.
Chunky ones.
Do they still have the Curly Wurlys over there? I’d love one, but unfortunately it would probably pull my teeth out! :lol:
:lol: Go for the smaller Chomp, 9.

Having said that, curiy wurlys used to be size of a metre stick……, they’re almost Chomp size now.

Wouldn’t say that to the newsagent though, “Hey mate, you got a small chomp & curly wurlys?”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:47 pm
number 9 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:01 pm
marko69 wrote:

Prefer KitKats.
Chunky ones.
:lol: Go for the smaller Chomp, 9.

Having said that, curiy wurlys used to be size of a metre stick……, they’re almost Chomp size now.

Wouldn’t say that to the newsagent though, “Hey mate, you got a small chomp & curly wurlys?”
In the 1970s a Curly Wurly could be used as a yardstick…before metric. Nowadays it’s barely long enough to measure one’s manhood…thanks EU! :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 27, 2022 11:42 pm

:shock:

:lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:42 pm

:?

Why do you think my forum name is number 9? Did you think it was a shirt number? :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:04 am

Lucky bstd. Fun size Mars Bar for me. Thats what the 69 means in my name……. Need to try and perform one on myself to fkn see it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:06 am

Be fantastic if Kerry Blue popped back now to see how the “Grant” thread is going.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:19 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:06 am
Be fantastic if Kerry Blue popped back now to see how the “Grant” thread is going.
Lol! Something tells me Kerry has had his last cup of tea with some chocolate digestives. He’s in hog heaven right now contemplating the next ITFC acquisition. Lol!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 28, 2022 1:03 am

“Futon joins Town as first team couch. Can be flexible if required but prefers no lying down on the job.”

Na. Way too long for a thread title.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 29, 2022 5:45 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Why do you think my forum name is number 9? Did you think it was a shirt number? :wink:
Mwaaahahaha … in yer dreams :lol: you wish … :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 30, 2022 12:08 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:45 pm
number 9 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Mwaaahahaha … in yer dreams :lol: you wish … :wink:
Aw no, Hallam don’t! He’ll post pictures! :shock: …. Family forum!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 30, 2022 1:22 pm

Haha! Sorry if these last few posts have offended anyone. We're just having a bit of fun...and sorry Kerry for hijacking your thread.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 30, 2022 2:15 pm

Never been so offended

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 30, 2022 2:53 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:22 pm
Haha! Sorry if these last few posts have offended anyone. We're just having a bit of fun...and sorry Kerry for hijacking your thread.
No problem but I thought for a moment I was on TWTD 🤔😂 and congratulations very well done.