Downes to Palace

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Downes to Palace

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:09 pm

It looks like Downes will get his move to Crystal Palace I only hope we do have a sell on clause.

Former Town midfielder Flynn Downes is reportedly on the verge of a move from Swansea City to Crystal Palace.

Downes, 23, left the Blues for the Swans last summer for a fee of £1.4 million and had a hugely impressive campaign with the Welshmen.

Now, according to BBC Sport, the Essex-born schemer is close to joining Premier League Palace.

No fee is mentioned but earlier in the week reports in Wales put Swansea’s valuation at £11 million to £12 million but with the Championship side ultimately expected to have to accept a lower but still significant figure.

Town look set to receive a windfall from the deal with it appearing likely that a sell-on was included in last summer’s deal, probably around 10 per cent of the Swans’ profit, although the club won’t comment on whether such a clause was put in place.

Palace previously tried to sign Downes in the summer of 2020 when the Blues turned down two bids from the Eagles, the second of £1.6 million.

shabba

Re: Downes to Palace

Post by shabba » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:13 pm

Hopefully a little bit of extra cash for town, and as we only need 2-3 more players that should hopefully help get some quality in.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:56 pm

10% of the profit would represent the norm for a sell on clause, a sum which would be most welcome especially as it’s likely to be in excess of £500k.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:11 am

I Can’t stand the arrogant little pr*ck.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:11 am

…. and many Town fans didn’t think much of Damien Delaney either. Left us on a free to join Palace and was brilliant for them making 170 appearances mostly in the Premier League.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:55 am

Downs is the one player I really would of liked Town to keep. I know he wanted away but he was one of the very few who showed fight and heart in a Blue shirt. Look at the shambles after he left, even whilst he was here Ipswich was shambolic

Good luck to him, I personally wish him well

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:10 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:47 pm
hallamblue wrote:

…. and many Town fans didn’t think much of Damien Delaney either. Left us on a free to join Palace and was brilliant for them making 170 appearances mostly in the Premier League.
I didn’t rate Delaney but he went on to be decent…….. which mean’t Roy C Keane scared the sh*t out of him. Made him nervous and he was mistake prone. Much better player when he got away from that tw@t.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:56 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:10 pm
Charnwood wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

I didn’t rate Delaney but he went on to be decent…….. which mean’t Roy C Keane scared the sh*t out of him. Made him nervous and he was mistake prone. Much better player when he got away from that tw@t.

I dread to think how many players had their careers set back by Roy Keane. Hopefully he’ll never manage a football club again, he just doesn’t have the complete skill set required.

As for Damien Delaney, I think Town fans destroyed his confidence just as much as Keane, maybe even more.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:01 pm

The windall from the sale will be appreciated, but my goodness Downes valued at 10 or 12 million?! That's a bit inflated isn't it?? Well I suppose not in today's market, but still shocking in my mind. :roll:

Not sure what to think of Downes really. I suppose he had to make the right choices for his career, and we'll never know for sure what was said behind closed doors. It did seem like he gave up after the initial CP bid was turned down. It's a shame really, because he'd fit into KM's midfield quite nicely with Morsey.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:56 pm
marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

I dread to think how many players had their careers set back by Roy Keane. Hopefully he’ll never manage a football club again, he just doesn’t have the complete skill set required.

As for Damien Delaney, I think Town fans destroyed his confidence just as much as Keane, maybe even more.
I agree the fans gave him a hard time. Part of that was Keane playing him out of position too start with I think.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Amazing what an average player can look like surrounded by decent players isn’t it. It’s all about combinations I think. Also I wouldn’t have said Delaney was arrogant. Downes is .

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:22 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:56 pm
marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Thought Keane did a decent job at Sunderland, didn't work out at Ipswich but showed himself to maybe be a better person than people give him credit for with his handling of Michael Chopra ??

Pleased for Downes getting his move took a lot of abuse on this forum for trying to better himself

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 pm

It looks like Downes is now off to West Ham for £12m , not Palace. Maybe £1m due to Town assuming a standard sell on clause giving us 10% of the profit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:57 am

TWTD revealed yesterday that Town included a sell-on clause in last summer’s £1.4 million switch, which may be higher than initially anticipated with the EADT reporting that the Blues will receive 20-25 per cent of the profit the Swans make on the move.

That would see around £1.9 million due to the Blues - although in the manner of most transfers in instalments - with further cash due later along the line when milestone clauses are hit.
Nice money

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:00 pm

Awesome, sell on clauses are vital at this level. Even for people like Dobra and Simpson, let them go for small fee's but include decent sell-on.