League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

JohnnyB

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:41 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:30 pm
I'd rather us get the point today and play fantasy stuff in second half than 3 points and play mediocre stuff .we can build on today. At least we can sharpen up on our weaknesses,and better to meet the Boltons of this world early on to test us and show our areas that need to be worked on .all in all a good day
Yeah, agreed. Of course, would love the three points but as home draws go, today’s situation is ok

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:54 pm

We got better as the game progressed. I thought we were generally very good in the second half. That is encouraging. Better to be good in the second half than to do well in the first half and then fall off in performance.

Early days, but I'm hopeful we will go well this season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:14 pm

Same old thuggish, shytehousery Bolton I see !

The football team nearly won it and should have done. Apart from their diving con of a penalty and corners ( this isn’t rugby or hockey, Bolton!!) they did very little to make Walton move.

Problem is , I think we will be seeing a lot of these tactics by every team that visits PR. And Refs need to control it.

However, overall for Town, Much to be positive about today I think .

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:40 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:14 pm

The football team nearly won it and should have done. Apart from their diving con of a penalty and corners ( this isn’t rugby or hockey, Bolton!!) they did very little to make Walton move.

Problem is , I think we will be seeing a lot of these tactics by every team that visits PR. And Refs need to control it.

Totally agree with this post Liz.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:07 pm

Impressed with Leigh again when he came on. At this moment in time I would start him instead of Davis. Morsy should have buried the chance near the end and I believe the penalty was the only shot that Bolton had on target. We really need to take chances when they come our way as no doubt a lot of teams will come to Portman Road this season quite happy to settle for a point from the off.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:24 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:40 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:14 pm

Totally agree with this post Liz.

Thank you AM. I suppose I should add, that as long as I’ve been watching Town we have NEVER coped with physical teams. We don’t appear to be streetwise. For instance, the slightest touch on an opponent and they go down like an actor in Platoon. Our number9 wad being mauled all afternoon by their number 5 at times he was bent over double the guy was leaning on him thst much. The ref hsve nothing all afternoon. So why not go down under the challenge occasionally and try to win a free kick 🤷‍♀️? We need to get more savvy as a team because refs simply don’t pull it up so they.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:30 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:07 pm
Impressed with Leigh again when he came on. At this moment in time I would start him instead of Davis. Morsy should have buried the chance near the end and I believe the penalty was the only shot that Bolton had on target. We really need to take chances when they come our way as no doubt a lot of teams will come to Portman Road this season quite happy to settle for a point from the off.
Agree with 100% Tony. I’d say Davis is really inexperienced ( it showed re the penalty : it was a soft , sucker punch tbh).

Bolton’s high press was very effective as we played out from the bdbk time and again down Burns side. Bolton did their homework and shut us down . But we still kept doing it - really ?? ….
But After 20 mins the gaps for us to start to play our game became clearly because available as they ran out of steam to maintain that high press.

The way to beat this tactic is shorter, quicker passes . It’d very hard to mark this snd opponents would have to work very hard chasing the ball.

Sadly they came for a point and got it . As you say we MUST take our chances . Hopefully this will improve as the season gets going. I do love our style , but sometimes I think we need to man up physically coz the refs will give us nothing.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 pm

2nd half display dominant on that performance alone should of won.Morsey wow. 2pts dropped unfortunately but early days.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:51 pm

Thought we started a bit slow and tentative today, maybe the pressure of the expectation played a part in that as Bolton had the better of the opening 20 mins, gradually we grew into the game and started to dominate possession. The penalty was soft but deffo a pen, thankfully we got ourselves back in it with a clever strike from a set piece.

The second was really all one way traffic and by the close we should have won it comfortably but it augers well for the season ahead, 17 attempts at goal against a strong team is impressive indeed, we just couldn't find the winner but the excellent Morsy should have tucked the late chance away.

I'm not disappointed at all, we played some good stuff, a few points, how improved was some of our deliveries into the box, add to that we scored a good goal from a set piece. I though TJJ was fab when he came on and will be a real player for us, Ladapo will score goals and carry a threat, Morsy was dominant for much of the game, I think Greg Leigh is definitely better than Leif Davis who just didn't impress me but its very early days for him, he's only been here days, that said I really like Leigh. Our Cb's need to quit dilly dallying on the ball and play it sooner, aside from that I think there is little to be disappointed with. A decent start and reasons to be positive.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:59 am

The penalty award seemed contentious, maybe the referee (did) got it right but from highlights it looked something of a bullshit decision. Appeared minimal contact and their player went over real easy but what's done is done.

Real shame too as other than that we would have won it, (our) players second period really picked up and created opportunity for all three points. 26,000 is a very good crowd even if it were first round of fixtures of a new season. Not much else to add to it, enough people will have seen action and got the picture of things. Bolton escaped with a point you can argue, I don't believe they should have taken anything from it but we've had issues beating these opponents many times before.

All told a frustrating score when victory was almost there, we came close in the closing stages, their goalkeepers legs keeping out what seemed a certain goal, and on another day it could have been the ideal start.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:09 am

A good performance in the second half. Overall maybe a draw was a fair result as they certainly were the better side for the first half hour or more. However the stars showed that we didn’t allow them many shots. But wet need to be more clinical, there were probably 3 chances we should have taken.
Despite that I thought Bolton defended well, they got loss of very important blocks in.
Not it greatest performance but still an encouraging start.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:14 am

Very early days of course, but to be honest I was extremely disappointed both with the result and how we played.

It's been said many times over the seasons that the first prerequisite of mounting a successful promotion challenge is to win all of your home games, so we've failed there on day one.

I know that Liz is of the opinion that Bolton came for a draw, and that many other teams will do the same this season - but I'm equally of the opinion that we are set up with the attitude of 'if you can't win, at least make sure you don't lose'. If that persists into the season then i think that many of us will end up disappointed.

We're still far too 'safe' in the way we play, and extremely lightweight up front.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:32 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:14 am
Very early days of course, but to be honest I was extremely disappointed both with the result and how we played.

It's been said many times over the seasons that the first prerequisite of mounting a successful promotion challenge is to win all of your home games, so we've failed there on day one.

I know that Liz is of the opinion that Bolton came for a draw, and that many other teams will do the same this season - but I'm equally of the opinion that we are set up with the attitude of 'if you can't win, at least make sure you don't lose'. If that persists into the season then i think that many of us will end up disappointed.

We're still far too 'safe' in the way we play, and extremely lightweight up front.
I agree with the last bit, we don’t appear to have anyone who could be a regular scorer. But I thought in the second half we went out to beat them, and had we taken one of several decent chances, we would have.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:42 am

Gary, nobody in history in any country in the world has ever won ALL of their home games, never been done, not losing if you can't win is exactly the right attitude for me, we definitely went out to win it second half, 17 attempts at goal, ok a lot off target but even so, Bolton won't lose many on the road trust me. By the same token Sheffield Wednesday failed to win on day one too and they are the favourites, I felt it wasn't a bad start at all.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:50 am

Once Bolton ran out of steam with their game plan of a high press, they offered nothing else and from that 20min point (it was quite notable how they dropped off us tbh as their endurance levels wained), there was only team interested in playing the football and one team that wanted to win, and that was us!
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:51 am

I don't get this us being too safe - I thought we created plenty of chances or at least enough to win the game. More than we usually do or did during the latter part of the season.

I don't get how Bolton came here for a draw. - if they were, they didn't read the script as they outplayed us for the first 30 mins. Thought they were a decent team and we did well to get on top of them.

And I don't understand all this whining about 'sh*t-housery'. We had plenty of chances to win the game. It had nothing to do with Boltons tactics.

Thought it was a pretty entertaining second half and we probably did enough to win that. I really don't think after just one game we can make any real accurate assumptions about the team We can't be the finished article after just one game. Just need to be more ruthless. And expect changes in the coming games. Thought John Jules looked sharp and should come in for Harness and hopefully Leigh gets the nod over Davis.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:56 am

All I’ll say is their antics of mauling our players ( Our #9) to the ground , time wasting , throwing the ball away (GK), going to ground like they’d been shot and rolling around in good old Argentinian fashion is shytehousery in my book .
The ref did little to stamp it out and be prepared for many, many more teams to do this again at PR.
(Oxford did it for 90 mins last season).

Sorry, but It’s up to the refs to sort it out because if they don’t it’s a licence to teams to continue to do this. It’s crap to watch). Bolton’s #17 was doing it the whole bloody game.

But I do agree with you Tang, we must be much more ruthless in front of goal. The game should have finished 3-1

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:53 pm

rossi wrote:

Just read thro the whole thread and seems everyone is positive. You always seem to take a left field view. Its fine to do that now and again but virtually every post, hmm ?
If Ipswich are to go up then the away form needs to improve and dropping points against the poorer teams in the league has to stop. The home form has generally been pretty good especially under McKenna.
The team seems so far to be going in the right direction under McKenna. Still early days but promising

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:11 am

Personally, I think Saturday’s game will be the go to template for what we can expect from every opponent visiting PR this season. The high pressure, closing us down, time wasting , bully boy tactics, ridiculous fouls etc . It’s how it will be, frankly.

These tactics will be deployed to varying levels of success and effectiveness and the will largely depend on opponents levels of fitness. Bolton’s high pressure lasted 20 mins. I know, because I checked my watch when it became apparent that they’d stopped trying to close down Burns with 3 of their players, and press high into our box. Then our game started to flourish. Our clear skill levels set us apart. So Bolton up upped their physical approach (their number 5 would be an asset to our back line tbh!), and this approach spread across the park- expect this in spades throughout the season too.

Town players to a man, need to match it frankly!

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:24 pm

Hi all,

I was at the match this weekend, my summary (like others no doubt).

- Nervous/slow start, occasion/hype probably got to the players
- Bolton did well to make it a scrappy game early on
- Bit of a silly pen to concede
- Too early to start Davis

+ we totally 'woke up' once they scored, starting passing it much quicker and getting more possession
+ 2nd half only ever one team in it, very dominate
+ was crying out for Aluko, so was the right call to switch Harness as his 1st touch was so poor. Aluko and Morsey are the only players who can take the ball in a crowd between the lines and play smartly -they both did really well.
+ created some good chances, so close to winning it, very fine margins!

Leigh looked bright when he came on, can't say much on Ladapo as he didn't get enough service really. Would drop Harness for Aluko next match, and also start Greg Leigh ahead of Davis until he is more settled into the group.
I'd liked to have seen Humpreys on the bench over Harper.

It was very unlucky that we didn't win and really we needed to start the game like we did in the second half and we could be talking about a 3-1+ win.

I don't feel too bad, yes its 2 points dropped but the performance second half was very good.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:42 am
Gary, nobody in history in any country in the world has ever won ALL of their home games, never been done, not losing if you can't win is exactly the right attitude for me, we definitely went out to win it second half, 17 attempts at goal, ok a lot off target but even so, Bolton won't lose many on the road trust me. By the same token Sheffield Wednesday failed to win on day one too and they are the favourites, I felt it wasn't a bad start at all.
It occurred more than once in the Scots First League in the 1890's. All right you're going back 120 years + and seasons were shorter with less competition but it was achieved nonetheless. May have been 120 + years back and seasons were shorter / less competition but records show it were still a standout accomplishment nonetheless. Scots soccer knowledge is extensive (therefore) as to why these information bits come to the fore.

Can't be done now simply due to amount of fixtures and game has advanced to the stage it has. Although in recent time clubs here and other parts of Europe / South America would have come damn close to replicating such an achievement.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:58 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:53 pm
rossi wrote:

Just read thro the whole thread and seems everyone is positive. You always seem to take a left field view. Its fine to do that now and again but virtually every post, hmm ?
If Ipswich are to go up then the away form needs to improve and dropping points against the poorer teams in the league has to stop. The home form has generally been pretty good especially under McKenna.
The team seems so far to be going in the right direction under McKenna. Still early days but promising
I've supported Town for over 65 years, through good times and bad, and over the last 4 seasons have despaired over the club like never before. I say things as I see them, and lately I see little signs of encouragement, so that is reflected in my posts.
If you disagree, that's fine, a forum is for the exchange of views after all - but don't you EVER presume to judge me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:30 pm

Just watched the highlights of Boltons demolition of Wycombe, they carved them open, I think the fact we outplayed Bolton and should have won augers very well as they look decent.