England - womens Euro competition

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

England - womens Euro competition

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:51 pm

They’re playing really well ( have watched a few games in this tournament ), and the skill level is really high in this tournament I feel.

I wish Town players could get a cross in the box like England’s player, Mead. She’s really good .

Spain definitely a step up in level for England tonight, but our girls are doing ok.

hallamblue

Re: England - womens Euro competition

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:14 pm

Shame you can’t find the humility to give credit where it’s due. I’ve watched that Mead player a few times , and she’s got a bloody good cross on her.

Watching this game tonight I wouldn’t say the pace is particularly slow either.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:39 pm

I have a wife and 3 daughters who I love dearly and wish the womens game well but sadly, I couldn't care less about it. I havn't watched a minute of it and don't intend to. Its nothing against women - I can't watch hockey, tennis etc either - men or women - just not interested 😕

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:05 pm

Oh yes what a f**king goal !!!!!!! Yeeeessss

Wasn’t slow
Had the pace, skill of any man’s shot
ANY Town player would have had that in their collection .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:45 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:51 pm
I wish Town players could get a cross in the box like England’s player, Mead......
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:05 pm
......ANY Town player would have had that in their collection

:lol: Dearest Hallam......, you yourself are drawing the responses from Balls & Wilf. Not fair. Let's not compare the mens and womens game. They really are poles apart but both very very high quality in their own right.

Well done, England. ......, tits out please. Not you Hallam.

Well......., if you want to......., not stopping you.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:11 pm

I watched the second half of tonight’s game against Spain and was very impressed with just how much ladies football has improved. My interest began in 2016 when my neighbour Baroness Sue Campbell was appointed Head of England Ladies Football soon after the 2015 World Cup. Her brief was to improve the profile of ladies football and ensure that England could compete at the highest level on the world stage. She must be so impressed as from what I watched tonight she is well on the way to fulfilling her objectives.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:21 pm

Ive watched a load of the games and tbh its good, yes different from mens game but still enjoyable. Tonight we beat a hard Spain team, they definitely stepped up but we were not outstanding. Bit slow to close them down and passing a little ragged, gave them too much respect at times. The subs and decision to have a go paid off. Nice goal by Toone and Stanways shot was fantastic tbh. A well deserved win, which at times thought we were heading out.

England, France or Germany to win.

Well done the Lionesses!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:25 am

I think I'm about the only person in the world who's just not bought into women's football, for some reason I just can't take it seriously, I watched Towns women play West Ham on the TV and couldn't believe how woeful it was, that said I wish the English Ladies well and hope they win it, they are clearly doing very well at their level.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:39 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:25 am
I think I'm about the only person in the world who's just not bought into women's football, for some reason I just can't take it seriously, I watched Towns women play West Ham on the TV and couldn't believe how woeful it was, that said I wish the English Ladies well and hope they win it, they are clearly doing very well at their level.
Your not the only one Mike apart from seeing the odd bit on sports news I've not even thought about watching it, I hope we win it but I'll be pleased when it's over.☺

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:44 am

Bluemike wrote:

Hey Mike. I only started watching ladies football because of my neighbours involvement, prior to that my interest was zero and probably would still be. I also hate watching women play rugby and cricket two sports which I will always consider to be mens games. Oooops, sorry Liz 😮☹️
When I first watched ladies playing footie even at International level it was woeful with many teams made up of overweight girls chasing the ball in packs and non existent goalkeepers often diving after the ball had hit the back of the net. However 6 years on their game has improved beyond recognition and last nights England v Spain QF was no exception. The quality of football (certainly in the second half) was amazing and the England manager’s understanding of the game was exceptional. When England went behind early in the second half her bold substitutions and tactical changes were game changing and the catalyst to avoiding defeat. She really was the difference between victory and defeat and all credit to her. I’m not sure when the SF is scheduled but it may well be the first 90 minutes of the tournament I watch and after last nights display I will loook forward to it. Try watching it, you may be surprised 😯

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:45 am

Hi Andy, fair play, I am away next week in Scotland so will probably not get a chance to take it in, however should we get to the final I will make a point of watching it.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:24 am

Yeah it has come on leaps and bounds and it's only going to get better as the talent pool and the standard of facilities and coaching is still so far behind the men's. Having said that, I don't watch very much!!

With one of those nifty modern sex changes, 15 years ago I would have been the best female goalkeeper in the world. Now, no chance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:32 am

The problem is with the way sexes are merging with some not even knowing if they’re male or female regardless of their bits, in time there won’t be such a thing as mens or ladies footie, it will simply be footie played by people. Some will be hairy arsed girls, some will be pretty boys, some will be normal, but they will all be covered in tattoos from head to toe so we supporters are as clueless as they are about their sexuality.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:19 pm

Sorry guys I did a response but appear to have lost it . Really bloody annoying as I’d taken a long time to compile that bloody post . I’ll try and find time to it again later .

Stuart81

Post by Stuart81 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:15 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:44 am
Bluemike wrote:
When I first watched ladies playing footie even at International level it was woeful with many teams made up of overweight girls chasing the ball in packs and non existent goalkeepers often diving after the ball had hit the back of the net. However 6 years on their game has improved beyond recognition and last nights England v Spain QF was no exception. The quality of football (certainly in the second half) was amazing and the England manager’s understanding of the game was exceptional. When England went behind early in the second half her bold substitutions and tactical changes were game changing and the catalyst to avoiding defeat. She really was the difference between victory and defeat and all credit to her. I’m not sure when the SF is scheduled but it may well be the first 90 minutes of the tournament I watch and after last nights display I will loook forward to it. Try watching it, you may be surprised 😯
Completely agree with this. Wiegman has made a huge difference for the UK women as she did for the Dutch. Big loss for the Dutch team and it shows.

Still not into women's football that much myself but it is getting better and better to watch. Will watch the ladies' next match

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:49 am

Some of the hosting they provide seem questionable. Other than National Stadium London, they picked out a bunch of odd venues like Brighton and Rotherham, and they're just some the grander sites to visit. As before it's likely a physical issue so they selected minor stadia. Once again seems the English got themselves a home advantage but it's no guarantee they can or will win it.

Some will argue June, July etc is, or should, provide a break from all things "football" particularly when no Mens event is ongoing but that's not to say any women don't deserve a chance at something. Tough to get a breather sometimes as it seems always around in some capacity no matter what time of year.

Netherlands should win it but these things are subject to change. Shame the US women aren't in it as they're a tangible interest this end but we had our competition just recent, and came out on top. Again. We can't test ourselves in this European competition which in itself is a pity but with a (Women's) World Cup in the southern hemisphere next year the chance will arise to take on and beat some of the best Europe has to offer.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:39 pm

Is anyone watching the SF v Sweden tonight ?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:51 pm

Yes, I am. I have enjoyed the snippets i have managed to see so far.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:10 pm

Game has started at scintillating pace from both sides! A really good watch and some great movement of the ball

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:59 pm

TBH I thought Sweden were all over us for the first half hour and totally dominated the game until just a few minutes before we scored. The goal definitely came at a good time and has really settled us down. We look vulnerable down our right side and have been far to sloppy and gifted the ball away too much.
I’m not convinced one goal will be enough to win, I’ll feel more confident if we can score early in the second half.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:06 pm

Perfecto 2-0 (48mins) 👍👏⚽️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:07 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:59 pm
TBH I thought Sweden were all over us for the first half hour and totally dominated the game until just a few minutes before we scored. The goal definitely came at a good time and has really settled us down. We look vulnerable down our right side and have been far to sloppy and gifted the ball away too much.
I’m not convinced one goal will be enough to win, I’ll feel more confident if we can score early in the second half.
Charnie the Psychic!
2-0

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:14 pm

🤣🤣…… we certainly look better with a two goal lead. Wow, almost number 3.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:25 pm

3-0! Now that was cheeky from supersub Russo

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:26 pm

How good was ⚽️ No 3 👏👏👏

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:26 pm

Thoroughly enjoying this great advert for the womens' game.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:26 pm

Absolutely BRILLIANT performance by our girls tonight so far . And those of you not wanting to watch it - well, it’s YOUR loss

But I’m so glad so many of you are 👍
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:26 pm
How good was ⚽️ No 3 👏👏👏
Nutmegged the keeper! Great improvisation.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:27 pm

What a fantastic second half this is and we still have another 20 mins to play.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:27 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:26 pm
Absolutely BRILLIANT performance by our girls tonight so far . And those of you not wanting to watch it - well, it’s YOUR loss

But I’m so glad so many of you are 👍
Totally agree with you Liz.