Millwall Friendly

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

shabba

Re: Millwall Friendly

Post by shabba » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:23 pm

Couldn’t get time to watch the game but sounds very promising, a solid away performance against a solid championship side. Sounds like we were also the better side going by the millwall fans comments on Facebook.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:50 pm

Good to know

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:25 am

From what I can make out from reports , once we started the second half , Town players significantly upped their tempo and passing / movement and Millwall struggled to hold us . This is a massive confidence boost to the players I feel …. And us fans :D 👍

COYBs let’s go for it this season . As the beer players bed in I can only see us getting stronger as the season progresses .

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:01 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:25 am
From what I can make out from reports , once we started the second half , Town players significantly upped their tempo and passing / movement and Millwall struggled to hold us . This is a massive confidence boost to the players I feel …. And us fans :D 👍

COYBs let’s go for it this season . As the beer players bed in I can only see us getting stronger as the season progresses .
I think that’s probably true. I know we don’t want to be playing catch up but if the first couple of results don’t go our way I shan’t be getting too worried. We have a manager who wants to play the right way - one that will serve us well should we get promoted - and if we can just create a few more goal Scoring opportunities, and learn to take a corner, we should do well.
There will be disappointments along the way, an inexperienced manager is still learning. It’s great to see the season ticket sales, I just hope expectations aren’t too high. Of course we should have high hopes, but there is a difference between hopes and expectations. I remember a few years back watching a young Fulham team play us off the park - but somehow I think we still beat them. But they were a joy to watch, and got promoted the following season. We are getting the football right, hopefully the results will follow. But if not, I would hate to throw that away and resort to hoofball with a team of giants.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:14 pm

I think under McKenna and the infrastructure now in place at this Club, we have our football identity back again. I can’t see us abandoning it either. We have brought in 5-6 more players and of course they’ll need t9 bed in . It should be quicker than 18 players all trying to bed 8n last season lol… and once they have , and as the season progresses I think we will get stronger and stronger.

Clearly we won’t be underestimating the smaller League One Clubs, and as long as we do the job against them , the season is really about getting 4 or 6 points off our promotion rivals, of which there are probably I clubs. Do that, and I think we will be in with a real chance of promotion. That’s the way I’m look8mg at it anyway 👍 :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:04 pm

I think KM knows only too well what his best 11 will be, I just think his comments allude to the fact that he doesn't have to rely solely on that 11 players, Chaplin gets injured and Aluko comes in etc etc, more than One player for every position.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:04 pm
I think KM knows only too well what his best 11 will be, I just think his comments allude to the fact that he doesn't have to rely solely on that 11 players, Chaplin gets injured and Aluko comes in etc etc, more than One player for every position.

Absolutely right, in the modern day football squad you need two players for each position.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:01 pm

"They're animals - I'd take a flamethrower to them" - Bobby Robson

https://youtu.be/YrstfUSVtss

Wonder what happened to Harry the Dog?

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:44 pm

When I first read the title thought it was a typo, Millwall and friendly in the same sentance?

Still does not sound right, never liked them and never will.

Look forward to the day we play them in a League game and give them another pasting like that lol.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:00 am

Funny how pre season friendlies go from meaningless to amazing when we play well. I’m sure the Millwall mantra was to play light avoid injuries. I’ll judge when the season starts. I want a win against Bolton to get things started!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:46 am

The results are what are meaningless, the level of performance is what gives rise to promise and hope, had we have lost that Millwall I would have been very happy with how we outplayed them for most of the first half, its when people get worried and negative about a Town B team losing to Arsenal U21 that I find it amusing.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:00 am

Not one for starting new threads and topics, just looked through past pages for a relevant starter and saw this first. Point being -

Lions owner and chairperson John Berylson has unfortunately passed on following an "accident" that the club won't shed further light on at present time.

Berylson, who was 70, had been involved with Millwall since the mid-2000's and over time became a respected member of not only the club itself but rival teams also. Really made a name for himself there and tributes coming in. It's all a bit ambiguous over events of what occurred but until the South London team make a statement of sorts we can only pass on condolences.

Some may make not like the team in question but Berylson was an upstanding individual who put considerable time and effort in helping make his team competitive and able to challenge. Say again it's a level of shame they missed out on a promotion opportunity by one goal or point a few weeks back - Mr Berylson would at least have (had the opportunity) to seen a potential promotion and return to the top league for first time since 1990 or something.