POLL: Predictions for the Coming Season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Where will ITFC finish in the League One 22/23 Table

Champions
19%
2nd
26%
3rd - 6th
35%
7th - 10th
16%
Mid-table mediocrity
No votes
21st - 24th
No votes
McKenna sacked by Xmas
3%

Total votes: 31

rossi

POLL: Predictions for the Coming Season

Post by rossi » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:58 am

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has started a thread about how people think we will do this coming season, so thought I'd start one.

It's always a bit difficult to predict this early, given that many of the teams in the division will not have their squads completely sorted, and we are no different (at least I hope we're not).

It always makes me smile seeing some predictions of how well we're going to do on the back of one or two decent friendly results - how many previous seasons have people thought this and ended up disappointed as the season progresses.

So I am going to try to be as realistic as I can about what I think our chances might be. I have to say that much as I like most things about KM as a manager I cannot agree with his preferred option of playing a single striker. And with the current options we have, I just cannot see where enough goals are going to come from for us to be real contenders. So my gut instinct is that we'll finish somewhere between 7th and 10th - I hope to God I'm wrong.

Shed on tour

Re: Predictions for the Coming Season

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:29 pm

I will go for 8th. Like you I have concerns where the goals are going to come from. From what I saw at Millwall on Saturday scoring from set pieces is still going to be a problem.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 pm

Heart says 1st or 2nd, but head says 4th or 5th.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:23 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 pm
Heart says 1st or 2nd, but head says 4th or 5th.
This, but I also think if we are there or thereabouts come Jan then they will back the manager again in the transfer market.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:34 pm

As you say, it's very hard to predict. Just checked the odds and we appear to be second favourites for promotion behind Sheffield Wednesday.
Hoping for promotion obviously but expecting a top half finish, probably just in or out of the playoffs - maybe somewhere between 5th and 8th.
I am expecting a season where we mostly play good, attractive football, and if we get some good results and build some confidence, we could do really well. Just a bit concerned that some fans set their expectations too high (as indicated by the number of season ticket holders) and that puts a lot of pressure on when results don't go our way.
I'd very very surprised and disappointed if we didn't finish top half, top 8 even. But the difference between top and 8th is only a couple of unlucky defeats and a few key injuries. We seem to have depth in the squad, but I'll stick with my 5th - 8th predictions. As stated by others, we need to create and score more regularly than last seaosn.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:15 pm

Optimistic and confident going up as Champions 🎉🎊 (saying that I have been known to be wrong once or twice)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:14 pm

Top Two for me, no ifs or buts and no excuses.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: POLL: Predictions for the Coming Season

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Rossi, poll added and thread stuck. The 7th-10th pick is also my prediction and thats why 1 is there so far.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:05 pm

Voted second but of course a few pieces of luck could change that a few places down - or even one up. But I am an optimist.

We will certainly know much more at the end of August after we’ve played a few at home who will fancy themselves in the mix at the season’s end - Bolton, MK, Barnsley- and also some tricky away fixtures at Burton, FGR and Shrewsbury. If we have 12 points from a possible 18 that’s top 2 form but last year showed we cannot afford a slow start.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:15 pm

I think if we don't finish top six the season will have been a failure.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:14 pm
Top Two for me, no ifs or buts and no excuses.
Same here . I’ve gone for Champions.
Why not us ! 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:28 pm

I think this is the season when we must at the very least make the play offs and win it. Anything better will be a bonus, anything less will be a disaster.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:46 am

It's really difficult for me to get a feel for where we will end up this season. Early in KMcK's management I expected us to kick on and have a strong finish to last season. I was confident then that we would be top two this season.

Now, I'm not so sure. My heart still says top two but my head says 5th to 8th. Failure to make the playoffs will be a disaster for us. The longer we languish in this awful league the harder it will be to struggle out of it.

For what it's worth I voted for 2nd. Fingers crossed.
Last edited by MasseyFerguson on Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:46 am

Good thread btw

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:51 am

Let's keep it short, it won't be automatic promotion. Number of factors against us, concede late goals, we don't turn possession into actual scoring opportunity, a number of defensive errors at critical times cost us. And that's just past primary concerns. More to the point we just don't have the sufficient strike power up front to really challenge and it'll need all areas of the squad pulling their weight over nine months for it to be a reality.

Voted for 3rd to 6th although the latter is surely correct ground. I want to get out the damn sh*t league as much as the next but being truthful, and with added regret, sneaking a play-off spot and missing out altogether appears the sum total of League endeavors for the season. Pessimist if you incline to argue to your heart's content but a realist with it.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:54 am

Naah- top two. When are the bookies ever wrong!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:39 am

👍

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:07 pm

Surely we have to start the season expecting top 2. If not, we are being defeatist before we start so its top 2 for me!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:23 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:54 am
Naah- top two. When are the bookies ever wrong!!
We were favourites to go up last season, weren't we? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:42 pm

No we weren't 9

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:42 pm
No we weren't 9
Well we’re beginning to look the real deal. I can only imagine the strength of two, fast paced wing backs in Burns & Davis flying up & down the flanks! Surely our new strikers will be better finishers than the dynamic trio of last. I think our defence will actually begin in midfield by keeping possession. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out we need more goals. I’m not waiting on gelling…I want to see right from the start! Remember Blackburn & Newcastle in the early 90s? I’d love for us to emulate their fast attacks! It’s wonderful football to watch! Yes, I’m getting excited now!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:44 pm

Blue Monday and talking town podcasts (also probably on YouTube) have done great season prediction shows recently, highlighting each team in a bit of detail.

I don’t think we can underestimate Peterborough, Sheffield weds and a few others.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:54 pm

According to this EADT story, a "super computer" has predicted Town to finish 3rd on 80 points, behind Derby and Sheffield Wednesday. It even predicts goal difference as well as the outcome of our opening game.

Ok, you can't take these things all that seriously, but they have got form in that they predicted Fulham & Bournemouth to finish top 2 and Posh to get relegated in the Championship last year!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... le-9171672

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:57 pm

Ipswich Portsmouth Play off semi final? That'd be a bum squeaker.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Wouldn't it just, especially if Piggot had been banging goals in for them all season, only for the loan terms to deny them of his services! :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:02 pm

As long as there is no repeat of last season when 80 points didn’t get you into the top 6. Unbelievable really, Plymouth fans must have been gutted.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:44 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:00 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Wouldn't it just, especially if Piggot had been banging goals in for them all season, only for the loan terms to deny them of his services! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Aw man. That was funny.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:28 pm

They (pundits, bookmakers, analysists etc) put us as finishing top three or lo and behold "league favorites" only due to past histories and in that one time we were big and successful if only few and far between. Guess they imagine club names like us are too big to accommodate the Third League or look out of place. You can chalk the same reasoning to Derby County or Leeds when they fell into an abyss or dropped out of recognition.

It's not like that, no team has any divine right to gain promotion irrespective of how successful they once were and Yeah, that includes us. It'll be a long hard road back and say again not expecting to really bother the top three places by end of season. Our play-off record is horrendous but in truth that seems the most viable target. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:13 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:02 pm
As long as there is no repeat of last season when 80 points didn’t get you into the top 6. Unbelievable really, Plymouth fans must have been gutted.
It wouldn’t surprise me - when you look at the league now there seems to be a big difference between the top 10 and the other sides, the lower ones look quite weak and the top sides are all looking stronger than ever.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:56 am

I have to say we're going up Champions! Positive thinking chaps & chapesses!! #coyb #believe