Southend Friendly

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Southend Friendly

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:52 pm

1-0 up at HT through a John-Jules goal, pleasant easy on the eye front foot football according to the report, TJJ looked very lively with Aluko and Humphreys "oozing class"

AzzurroMark

Re: Southend Friendly

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:05 pm

According to EADT;

"Front foot, dynamic football from Town. Very easy on the eye.
John-Jules with a smashing near post volley finish direct from Aluko's dead ball delivery.
The young Arsenal loanee has been very lively, as has Edwards out on the right. Aluko and Humphreys oozing class.
More goals here for the Blues if they go for it in the second half."

Some eye catching performances from some fringe (?) players? Bodes very well for solid competition. :D

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:21 pm

2-0 now Leigh with the second.

John-Jules with the slide pass, Edwards sweeps in a first time cross and Leigh charges into the box to coolly finish on the run.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:47 pm

2-1, almost 2-2 apparently :shock:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:48 pm

3-1 Ladapo

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:49 pm

Burns' cross is expertly headed home by Ladapo.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:27 pm

We were very comfortable throughout. John-Jukes looked sharp and even the 'second string' generally looked competent. With better finishing would have been 5-0 up by half time. Corners still not great but.... thats Ipswich!

10 mins left and the starting 11 (in my view - maybe with the exception of Penney) came on and looked ready. If they had played the while 90 mins we would have scored several more I suspect.

Roll on Saturday!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:46 pm

Could be embarrassing but didn't realize we were involved in action today. Just taking a time out from the game during these weeks or at least trying to, but took in a view of "a rival fan site" to glean information and while you take into account the League level of the opposition, victories won't arrive on their own and we had a job to undertake.

A strong line-up we fielded although not sure why the opposition needed two separate squads either side of the interval. Well over four thousand in attendance seems a good crowd for a game of this nature and while it will take time for the new kids to fit in and the squad as a whole to once again develop in the season ahead, that's why we have these fixtures during the summer when no domestics are underway.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:13 pm

I honestly thought we weren’t very good tonight. Playing it from the back but nearly gave it away on a couple of occasions.
We were just too show in my opinion. I appreciate many of those playing are not likely to start, and no one was bad; It’s just that we weren’t crisp enough. Against West Ham we played some quick one touch footy. Tonight it was more like 3-touch and then the space got closed down. The first 20 minutes of the second half in particular we struggled to get out of our half.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:24 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:13 pm
I honestly thought we weren’t very good tonight. Playing it from the back but nearly gave it away on a couple of occasions.
We were just too show in my opinion. I appreciate many of those playing are not likely to start, and no one was bad; It’s just that we weren’t crisp enough. Against West Ham we played some quick one touch footy. Tonight it was more like 3-touch and then the space got closed down. The first 20 minutes of the second half in particular we struggled to get out of our half.
Have to agree I thought at times in the 2nd half we were sloppy with the ball. It was like we were back under Lambert in regards to the slow build up. Anyhow, the real stuff starts Saturday and hopefully we can hit the ground running.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:31 am

Even more good news then, win when not playing well, the sign of a good side.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:59 am

The biggest plus was that was effectively our second string out there last night . I’ve seen the goals and every one of them was a quality goal.

Oppositions are not going to like the look of out bench on match days, let alone the first 11 they come up against. Having said all that, cue wake up call Sat, such is football 🤷‍♀️ lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:12 am

The goals were excellent goals, already Lapado and TJJ look far more potent than the dross strikers we got rid of.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:08 pm

Just watched last nights three goals and all looked like clinical finishing. I know it was only Southend and I know there were another 87 mins of play but that quality of finishing from our strikers bodes well for the start of the season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:51 pm

Both true above......, but this has got to be the time for it to count when it matters. Had a delve into the archives........, year on year the theme has been ---->> "must be better than LAST seasons crap strikers".........., let's hope Lapado & Co are not next seasons "last seasons crap strikers".
For Gawds sake, Kieron......, make this be the year.