League 1 - Forest Green Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An early away game win?

FGR Win
No votes
Town Win
80%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 20

MasseyFerguson

Re: League 1 - Forest Green Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:15 pm

An away win is always to be welcomed. We will play better than this in other games this season and get nothing out of them.

I'm happy that we pocket the three points and move on. We're still inconsistent, which is a bit of a worry. Last week we had an iffy first half and a really good second. This week, the reverse. Let's see 90 minute performances from now on. If we can find that rhythm, we'll have a great season.

I think Burns must be carrying some sort of niggling injury. He hasn't been himself so far. An in-form Burns is a crucial component of this team.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:17 pm

Many valid comments - hallams especially.

Total control first half and should have killed the game sooner, the scored and got their tails up and it rattled us.

Still we had more chances to kill the game and ended the game much the stronger side, we are at least creating chances and having attempts - so the signs are good.

Happy to take a hard fought victory - it’s an improvement on where we were last season with these type of games.

It’s still small margins but the depth we have gives me hope when the season gets busier.

Really want to see us create a bit more for ladapo though.

I hope we rest a lot of players on Tuesday, get minutes into the fringe players - I’m really keen to see Leigh, TJJ and others given a start and chance to impress.

We’d have all likely taken four points from these two games beforehand so let’s be happy, better side in both too.

Only one team has six points so that is also a positive.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:48 pm

Forest Green were high flyers in league 2 last season. They’re not gonna be push overs especially when they’re home. No concerns yet, although I’d like to see Burns regain his form.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:50 pm

Great away performance apart from a10min spell following their goal we never looked in any real trouble. Had opportunities to increase the lead towards the end.

Great to see Harness score especially after last weeks slow start. Can’t say the same about Davis but the lad is clearly talented and will need time to settle. S

Morsy a step above the rest again and a great goal but Walton MOM for me. The double save at 2-1 was the match winning moment imo.

We are light years ahead compared to this time last season, if we don’t finish top 6 we may as well all pack up and go home.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 am

The quality of our goals were excellent, they alone deserved to win any game. Without Walton we wouldn't have won, has proven to be something of a real find. Made some crucial stops to keep us ahead and at other times before it.

They were never gong to lie down for us, awkward venue and team and kind of relief to get through it with three points. Nice scenery, real picturesque, I'll give them that.

If they had offered four points from two games many would have taken an arm so gratefully accepted, problem being it could just have easly been six if chances had been taken in the first game.

Speaking of which only one team in the entire division has won both games from opening 2 fixtures in this league, same goes for the Championship a division above. Kinda strange maybe, not sure that happens all too often.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:44 am

The one thing we did do well yesterday was dealing with the 9 minutes time added on. Game management during this period was spot on, kept possession and Morsy even went down requiring the physio to come on to break up play. Yes some will say that is not the Ipswich way but show me a team that doesn’t do the same in that situation.
Also how good is it to have a goalkeeper who can command the penalty area. Walton’s handling from crosses into the box yesterday was superb. Seems ages since we have been able to say that about a keeper.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:02 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:44 am
The one thing we did do well yesterday was dealing with the 9 minutes time added on. Game management during this period was spot on, kept possession and Morsy even went down requiring the physio to come on to break up play. Yes some will say that is not the Ipswich way but show me a team that doesn’t do the same in that situation.
Also how good is it to have a goalkeeper who can command the penalty area. Walton’s handling from crosses into the box yesterday was superb. Seems ages since we have been able to say that about a keeper.
Spot on. I was a bit fed up that we let them back in to the game - but after that dodgy 10 minute period we handled the game well.
Have to say - I was trying to guess who'd be our next goalscorer at 2-0 up as I felt we'd won that game already. With this side - you can go from calm to chaos very quickly. But TBF we grabbed hold of the game again. Should have been a bit more clinical, but we got the job done.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:58 am

I think that KM will realise that there is still a lot of improvement needed, but 4 points out of 6 is not to be sniffed at, and is a good starting point for the rest of the season. Still feel we need a proven striker though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:18 am

I thought yesterday was a really good professional away performance which fully merited the Three points. A first half which was pretty much one sided and heavily swayed in our favour should really have seen us out of reach by half time although we did manage to score two cracking goals, clearly we all thought at that stage it was game over and a case of how many we can get. I think what most seem to forget is that there is always Two teams out there not just us and nobody is going to roll over or make it easy for us and that proved to be the case here.

It only takes One lapse or weak leak to change things and for me so it proved with Leif Davis again at fault as I saw it, completely losing his man who ghosted into the box behind him to create the goal, after that it gives the home side a massive lift and for 15 or so minutes we were under the cosh. After that we seemed to regain our composure and took charge for most of the remainder of the game, as others have said the way we saw it out was as professional as it gets and that for me was a sign that we kept our composure well, in days gone by we would almost certainly have conceded a second or worse, this team is nothing like those teams of days gone by and as also mentioned there is still much to improve upon which for me is another positive as I felt we were in third gear where our capabilities are concerned.

Pluses for me was that we again had 19 odd chances on goal with 10 on target, the performance of Morsy was immense again, I also liked what I saw of Harness who is starting to look better already, one flick in the centre of the pitch to get us on the attack was sublime but largely went unnoticed. The way we saw out the game and as Shed said kill time and stop the home teams momentum, something we have craved for years, I even remarked on it to Hallam during the game, also the contribution of kayden Jackson when he came on caused them all sorts of problems.

Negatives were that we need to completely kill teams off when in total control, we need Grant Leigh at LB as Davis for me looks a bit of a liability if I am honest, I think we also need another option in the striking department.

Reasons to be cheerful.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm

Spot on Mike as usual as to Davis I just hope he improves after us spending a million when I thought Leigh was a decent signing, hopefully Davis will be a Creswell or Mings in the future.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:32 pm

I agree mostly with Mikes summary apart from there being no mention of Christian Waltons second half contribution which was the difference between winning and not winning this game. Without him we would almost certainly have dropped another 2 points.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:07 pm

Happy enough after those two performances- but really don't have a clue where we'll end up. Too early.

Just think we've got a decent, settled defence in JD, Woolf and and Edmundson. Morsy is likely to be the best midfielder in this division and Walton the best keeper in this division. I actually thought Evans looked very decent next to Morsy as well. A very solid base to work with and plenty of attacking options and we just seem to be missing that top striker. We're obviously still in the market for one. I can understand the concerns about where the goals are coming from, but I think we're making more chances and looking more of a threat from set-pieces.

As for Davis - I do think his price tag is putting him ahead of Leigh. Do you spend over a million quid on a LWB at L1 level only to leave him on the bench? From what I've seen - I'd rather have Leigh starting. Not convinced how good business this Davis transfer is as he's hardly played any games in his career to warrant a £ million+ fee, but I guess we have to trust our recruitment department. And it's early days.