Lief Davis

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Lief Davis

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:05 pm

This post was placed by Clive Baker on twtd , re Davis.

Although the player had looked to struggle in his first two games, I’d say CB makes find good observations of our young LB….

Anyway, here’s what he said ;

“The thing I like about Davis is he’s got the things you can’t really teach. He’s athletic, he looks quick, loves to get forward, can pick a pass and his left foot certainly possesses quality. Fundamentally he has everything in his locker to be a very good player at this level, and arguably a higher one. Leeds gave him a proper good look and consideration for premier league football and he played a big part at Bournemouth last season who were promoted from the Championship. You don’t last at those environments unless you’ve got something about you.

His sharpness and decision making are the things he can and will learn as he beds in. We need to remember he’s 22 and been thrown in at the deep end, but his ceiling is high. Yesterday was already an improvement on Bolton. We need to give him a run of 10 starts, let him get his match sharpness, get those fitness levels up and get to know his teammates. Last 2 games his race has been run on about 55 minutes, he looks a few weeks off getting up to speed. Then it’s just a bit of belief and confidence, which again will come in time and experience.”

number 9

Re: Lief Davis

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:45 pm

I completely agree with that assessment. Give the boy a chance!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:10 pm

Yes it’s a “make an immediate impact” game these days it seems… not easy is it.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:28 pm

I agree and for those not too sure about him or writing him off already, maybe some food for thought in this comment in the EADT;

"My final word this week is for Leif Davis. Give the lad a chance. He will get better the more games he plays. The last left-sided defender to debut against Bolton and struggle a tad was Mauricio Taricco.

He turned out alright didn't he? I am sure Davis will too."

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:18 pm

Not sure people are writing him off - but feel Greg Leigh was in a better position to take that LWB position from the start. He had a more sound pre-season and Davis came straight in without a single pre-season game for us. Think it might have been better to ease Davis in a bit from the bench. Now, there feels a bit of pressure on him and fans are looking out for mistakes.

At the end of the day - we've paid up to 1.5 million quid for him (with add-ons) and he will be looked upon differently than other players. That kind of money comes with a lot of expectation. So we need to give him time - but that's a lot of cash for a kid with very little senior football behind him. Someone really stuck their neck out to bring him in and if it comes off- its a very inspired piece of business.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:00 pm

Exactly Tang, most fans sh*t themselves If we lose a game, concede a goal or even a free kick and yet seem happy to go with a player who needs to be bedded in gradually instead of one who looks far more settled and capable already. I'm not writing anyone off at all but already he's cost us 2 points against Bolton and a goal at Forest Green.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:39 pm

1.5 million is nothing in today’s market. You could also blame poor finishing cost us 2 points against Bolton. Judge him after 10 games. There’s something about Davis I really like. He has that fire in his eyes. Let’s not create a scapegoat as we always seem to do. If we paid that much he needs to play. If he doesn’t improve after 10 games bench him. It’s way too early to be so critical of the young lad. Just my opinion.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:01 pm

It's nothing to do with scapegoats, it's fact, Gant Leigh is the better option at this time, another fact.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:17 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:28 pm
I agree and for those not too sure about him or writing him off already, maybe some food for thought in this comment in the EADT;

"My final word this week is for Leif Davis. Give the lad a chance. He will get better the more games he plays. The last left-sided defender to debut against Bolton and struggle a tad was Mauricio Taricco.

He turned out alright didn't he? I am sure Davis will too."
Oh god yes he did don’t he!! I remember that game, the Bolton players really gave him a tough time. Like you say, he turned out alright in the end…. 👍 so there’s hope for young Davis yet hopefully.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:00 pm
Exactly Tang, most fans sh*t themselves If we lose a game, concede a goal or even a free kick and yet seem happy to go with a player who needs to be bedded in gradually instead of one who looks far more settled and capable already. I'm not writing anyone off at all but already he's cost us 2 points against Bolton and a goal at Forest Green.
I’d put the blame squarely at McKenna’s door for playing him Mike. The boy had no bedding in time, he was jet lagged and barely knew his teams mates names. So why out him in? We had Leigh, KVY etc even bloody Penney ffs , so why put Davis in?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:27 pm

You’ll see….Davis is not a pussy like so many of our acquisitions. If I’m wrong I’ll raise my hand.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:09 pm

Davis is probably a much better player than Leigh, all I am saying is the wrong one is playing atm and yes it's odd why KM has thrown him in at the deep end, probably as Tang says the high fee has to be justified.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:54 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:21 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:00 pm
I’d put the blame squarely at McKenna’s door for playing him Mike. The boy had no bedding in time, he was jet lagged and barely knew his teams mates names. So why out him in? We had Leigh, KVY etc even bloody Penney ffs , so why put Davis in?
Exactly - it was a bad decision to play him ahead of Leigh, but to be fair we don't know if KM was put under any pressure to play him to justify the fee paid. Trouble is that now KM can hardly drop him for Leigh as that will definitely knock his confidence back - we just have to hope he finds his feet quickly and discovers the quality we have all been led to believe he has.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:43 am

I say play whoever is performing best in that position, they are proffesionals and should rise to the challenge to better themselves. It also works for the lads who are not in the starting line up, it affects them too.

Its a decent size squad so you need to change things for the better of the team, not because you may upset someone.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:06 am

Exactly that.