EFLC - Ipswich Town vs Colchester United Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we play in the 2nd round?

Ipswich Win
73%
Colchester Win
27%
Penalties
No votes

Total votes: 11

Denny61

Re: EFLC - Ipswich Town vs Colchester United Matchday Thread

Post by Denny61 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:49 pm

Even under mick Mccarthy or jewell we were scoring goals and playing hoof ball.and that was in the championship ? What worries me is that with mckenna we have a inexperienced coach/manager. Who has no background .it's all very well playing nice football but it's goals that win matches and we are becoming predictable now. What needs to happen is ball needs to leave the deck at times for headers either at goal or knocked down to players ready to pounce ...example...niall quinn and Kevin Phillips. What a partner ship...long balls floated in will cause confusion to defenders ..and disorganise them.in relation to marking our strikers..playing the way we are...defenders need only follow our guys ..mckenna needs to wake up and quick or we be in the quagmire again

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:46 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:27 pm
Sorry I can’t let this go. The ITFC rejects beat us!! Are you fuckin kidding me!! f*ck this, I’m glad I didn’t order any merchandise from this Mickey Mouse organization! My patience is running out! Get promoted or I’ll give up on this bullshit! Fuckin embarrassing!
A bit extreme 9 ? You on the juice last night?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:09 am

Yes it is but sadly it happens.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:18 am

I've been supportive of KM since his appointment, but I have to say that I'm beginning to question if he is the man to get us out of this division. He seems to have made a succession of poor decisions lately.

We had an away win on Saturday - ok, we made much harder work of it than we should have done, but we still won. So for me it beggars belief that we make 10 changes for the next game (regardless of what competition that game is in) and all that has achieved is to lose momentum and to demonstrate that our fringe players lack the quality to step successfully into the first team if required. And playing one up front at home against lower league opposition?

KM talks a good game, but he's spouting the same kind of crap that PC and his predecessors did.
Honeymoon is long past - time to put up or get out.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:52 am

I think we need to keep things in proportion. Of course it was a disappointing result. But we dominated up to the goal, missing some good chances and then presenting them with their only chance of the match. After that they got even further behind the ball and to be fair they defended well. Had we taken one of the earlier chances we would have won comfortably and I suspect the criticism of the team selection wouldn’t be heard.
The issue to me isn’t about the team selected. It’s the problem we have in breaking teams down. Someone (can’t remember who and too lazy to look back) said that we need to pump long balls into the box to cause confusion. With it current squad that just wouldn’t happen. We have no one who can win a header under pressure, so it will never cause confusion. We must either:
Resign ourselves to the fact that you need to be a team of 7 football giants to get out of this league, or
Move the ball more quickly at times.
I certainly prefer the latter.
I thought Humphries had a good game, but like Aluko (who I also really like) they seldom play a killer pass. It tends to be safer sideways passes in Humphries case, and switching play from one side to the other with Aluko. We lack the killer pass into the box, but we have to be realistic. We are in league 1 and unlikely to attract and hold onto players who can do that.
As I said earlier I think we need to accept that with our squad, dangerous balls will be played low. Many teams in this division have very tall, physical players, and we can beat them keeping it in the ground. But we do need a faster build up. I don’t mean long balls from front to back, I mean 1- or 2-touch football. But most of all we need to take our chances. That was why we lost yesterday. Not because we gave them a goal. Not because we made 10 changes. Not because we couldn’t break them down. But because we had at least 3 or 4 very good chances and missed them all.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:56 am

Oh dear! I am as frustrated as the next fan to lose last night and yes of course it throws up concerns. I believe we would not have lost this game had it not been for a ridiculous "assist" from Harper. It appears that ColU got their goal then put everyone behind the ball! Well done to them, it's their perogative and our challenge to break them down, something we failed at! OK stats show we dominated in all areas, bar the important one, goals scored!
Not that any marquee striker signing would've been involved last night, but yes we do need a proven goalscorer, I believe we will get one before the deadline is reached. A lot of teams will still be assessing who they want to offload, this could be the case with our target Hirst!

Yes, people will say they don't care about other teams, but let's have a bit of context here!
We made 10 changes; it doesn't mean that all those players would not be capable to be relied on in the first team! It is just too many changes to make in one go. Just ask Cheltenham who made 8 changes and got thumped 0-7 at home to Exeter!
14 teams were beaten by lower league teams, some were at home to teams two divisions below then! It happens, sadly for us too often.

I would like a cup run for once, but in the bigger picture, I would rather concentrate fully on the league. I would name a similar side in the Papa John Trophy in truth, though would take the FA Cup more seriously. With us becoming involved in this cup in November we will have a picture of how things are doing in the League by then, something we can't say the same about after last night!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:19 am

For us to win last night we simply had to score first. I think my post immediately after they scored said, “we know what comes next and it will make it very difficult for us”, and how right was that.
Maybe in the first half we should have focused as much on not conceding as we did on trying to score.
Thinking forward we simply have to have a game plan to deal with these type of games as there will be plenty more of them over the coming season, hopefully our first choice team will be better equipped than our second string last night.
Finally in defence of KMc, if he doesn’t play these second string squad players in games like the Carabo Cup they could go all season without playing competitive football.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:27 am

Just watched their gifted goal again! Harper should not have been caught in two minds like that, especially when he had an oh so simple pass to Burgess, or without turning inside an even simpler pass on the outside to Edwards (? i believe), who had space in front of him to run out of defense!

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:48 am

It was embarrassing,
Bro In Law took newphew and said best thing about the night was the Burger !!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:49 am

The thing is as I said after the Forest Green game we just have to eradicate the individual errors to achieve anything, I don't think any teams will open us up by their own abilities to often but no manager in the world can stop Davis gifting Bolton a penalty or the goal at FGR, nor could they prevent Humphreys from missing 2 absolute sitters or Harper playing that fuckfest of a pass. Individual errors all the time.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 pm

Yes, we would have won IF we had taken our chances: yes,we played our second string and would never play that in a league game: yes, we lost the game because of an individual error: blah blah blah

How many seasons now have we been saying the same things, yet it seems we never learn and continue to make the same mistakes; I'm looking for improvement over the years but have seen little if any over the past 2 or 3 years.

There's a pattern here - I'm just saying

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:58 pm

It was a shower of sh1te but sh1t happens and we move on!! Glass half full everyone please!! Hard to do after last night I know but roll on Saturday, a good performance and 3 points and this will all be forgotten!! #coyb

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:00 pm

My main question is - did anyone do enough last night to force themselves into the team for the weekend?

My guess is no? (which is a shame as its good to have competition for places)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:07 pm

Greg Leigh, nobody else, not even close.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:31 pm

Maybe KMc is not the messiah but just a very naughty boy?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:33 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 pm
Yes, we would have won IF we had taken our chances: yes,we played our second string and would never play that in a league game: yes, we lost the game because of an individual error: blah blah blah

How many seasons now have we been saying the same things, yet it seems we never learn and continue to make the same mistakes; I'm looking for improvement over the years but have seen little if any over the past 2 or 3 years.

Worryingly that is true 🤔

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:39 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:31 pm
😂😂
He is inexperienced and will make mistakes. But I prefer that to most of the older, set-in-their-ways managers that made mistakes.
I think a lot of it is down to confidence with the players. When they play quick, close one-touch football they can destroy anyone in this division. When they are more ponderous, they can’t break down even a league 2 defence.
It hasn’t been a great start to the season although we have been the better side in all 3 games. Let’s not panic too soon. As has been said earlier on this thread, individual errors were responsible for the goal last night and in the first game, and in both of those we missed some very good chances. Although it doesn’t help when we’ve dropped two points and been dumped out of the cup, things could be a lot worse.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:58 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 pm

Its hard to argue against your point here, Rossi but we have to live in hope cos without it, there will be a big ITFC shaled hole in most of our lives! 😱

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:58 pm

Shaped... bloody spell check!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:29 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:31 pm
:lol: Love it! Please more humour! I’m missing Marko’s and dare I say Wolfie’s dry humour! Two very naughty boys I might add! :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:30 pm

Thing is we made 10 changes that night . We put out an Ipswich 11 , not a “ team”. And it showed. There was that same understanding you get when teammates “know” when and when the runner will be.

The other thing that is highlighted ( and one we should worry about), is Morseys contribution to us as a driving force . He didn’t play and that driving force simply wasn’t there. There’s no one else of that caliber ( unless Ball will bring that once he’s fit?).

Our passing it out from the back is ONE DIMENSIONAL. It ALWAYS goes from Edmundson >>> Woolfie>>>>Donacian >>>> Burns! Guess what. Opponents have sussed it and have shut it down! Plan B anyone??

The last thing I’ll mention, because it really did strike on Tuesday is his bloody ONE PACED our game is ( most of the time)!! I get the attribute of remaining calm, in control etc etc. But for the live of god, try and get out of this walking football and 95 passes with no end product ! Xx

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:53 pm

My glass remains half-empty as far as ITFC is concerned.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:02 pm

As soon as got the result there were little in the way of surprise. Disappointment maybe but no real surprise to see beaten. Don't get me wrong I'd wish to progress and make further rounds but then you remember which club you root for and it's a Cup game with it. It's not rocket science to know what's going to be.

Saw McKenna went with an attacking line-up and we fielded a number of first teamers, only problem being if you can't beat that caliber of opposition over 90 minutes with a home advantage, you got to realize something is amiss. Didn't see the game granted but reading reports where available the opportunity was there to take a result from it. Not for the first time, or the last, we failed an objective.

People will argue we were never going to win it, and they're right with it but to be involved in a second "priority" Cup competition for as long as able would have added something extra to a season. Seen more Cup exits with this club to lower league / inferior opposition more times than could hope to mention and while it always provides a level of dismay, after so long you kind of accept things. sh*t result, sh*t name for a competition.

If the team can obtain a promotion nine months from now I'll more than look beyond this game but have to admit for this round at least, it's something of a wasted opportunity.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:30 pm
Thing is we made 10 changes that night . We put out an Ipswich 11 , not a “ team”. And it showed. There was that same understanding you get when teammates “know” when and when the runner will be.

The other thing that is highlighted ( and one we should worry about), is Morseys contribution to us as a driving force . He didn’t play and that driving force simply wasn’t there. There’s no one else of that caliber ( unless Ball will bring that once he’s fit?).

Our passing it out from the back is ONE DIMENSIONAL. It ALWAYS goes from Edmundson >>> Woolfie>>>>Donacian >>>> Burns! Guess what. Opponents have sussed it and have shut it down! Plan B anyone??

The last thing I’ll mention, because it really did strike on Tuesday is his bloody ONE PACED our game is ( most of the time)!! I get the attribute of remaining calm, in control etc etc. But for the live of god, try and get out of this walking football and 95 passes with no end product ! Xx
I agree with so much of this. Morsey makes a huge difference, the way he drives forward. And the passing is too pedestrian. I made a similar point earlier in the thread; at out best, we play one-touch football. That wears out the opposition, even with short passes, and makes it hard for them to mark us out the game; and secondly, as much as I rate Aluko, and thought that Humphreys had a good game, thy both play the ball sideways. Aluko is brilliant and receiving the ball, turning and changing direction, and laying it off the other way, but I bet there have been precious few assists from him as it's always a square pass out wide. Nothing wrong with that if the wide players get crosses in and we score from them, but we don't We will score so few goals from headers, we never look dangerous in the air. I still think we will get there. We have now outplayed 3 teams and got a win, a draw and a loss. If we'd taken half the chances created, we would have had 3 wins. If we hadn't gifted two goals away we still would have had 3 wins. The system needs a bit of a tweak with quicker passing, nothing more.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:47 pm

Absolutely spot on Andy.