Graeme Souness “Mens Game” comment….

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Graeme Souness “Mens Game” comment….

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:38 pm

Graeme Souness has been blasted 'disgraceful' for his 'men's game' comments in the Chelsea vs Tottenham match yesterday, how pathetic is it that women see their football as being the same.

Whilst I applaud the progress woman’s football has made over recent years, to think their game is exactly the same as the mens is delusional. We have mens football and we have women’s football, we don’t yet simply have football.

At least former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordon brought some balance to the debate by saying;… “Oh dear. Is this what it’s come down to? A man describing a game featuring men can’t apparently use the word men or man in conjugation with a game that featured solely men! Get over yourself, you do equality and injustice!”

I don’t think I could have put it better if I tried. We’ll done Simon Jordon. 👏

By the way, I’m also sick to death with every televised game being overrun with female commentators and pundits. FFS get rid of them and give us our game back.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Graeme Souness “Mens Game” comment….

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:58 pm

That last comment is exactly right, it gets on my bloody nerves tbh, if anything it will turn people off the Women's game.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:14 pm

I didn't see/hear the comment but agree with you on both counts anyway! If men are playing its a ducking MANS GAME FFS and unless the women up their standards of commentating or being a pundit they can sod off too! The drive me up the ducking wall!!! |Its got nothing to do with womens rights or any of that crap, its got to do with being good at the job you are employed to do regardless of colour or gender!! I'm probably going to get shot now for agreeing with you and not sticking up for womens rights but at least I'll die happy with us top of the league!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:32 pm

No you are speaking the truth !!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:05 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:38 pm
Graeme Souness has been blasted 'disgraceful' for his 'men's game' comments in the Chelsea vs Tottenham match yesterday, how pathetic is it that women see their football as being the same.

Whilst I applaud the progress woman’s football has made over recent years, to think their game is exactly the same as the mens is delusional. We have mens football and we have women’s football, we don’t yet simply have football.

At least former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordon brought some balance to the debate by saying;… “Oh dear. Is this what it’s come down to? A man describing a game featuring men can’t apparently use the word men or man in conjugation with a game that featured solely men! Get over yourself, you do equality and injustice!”

By the way, I’m also sick to death with every televised game being overrun with female commentators and pundits. FFS get rid of them and give us our game back.
Unable to highlight the last paragraph but you're right on the money with it. A collection of faceless vacuous tarts that couldn't distinguish between an offside ruling or a f**king blow-job. Should have found a euphemism or two to emphasize it better, but like it or not, thats the fact of the matter.

It's not about misogony or greater gender, only highlighting a problem spoken in the above. Guess it's 21st Century now and older generations being caught out or disgruntled by certain "standards" that at one time wouldn't be featured or with little to take issue.

Souness himself, for those of a certain age, the epitome of midfield masculinity. Was never going to put on a dress and applaud all things Pankhurst. No surprise at all some "individuals" took offense or found issue with what should be a fairly innocuous statement.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:08 pm

It's annoying on the BBC sport website now, how they've combined coverage for men's and women's football. I've got nothing against women's football, in fact the USA team has been brilliant and the England team has improved immensely. All I ask is to be given a choice on which gendered sport to read about and follow. Don't hammer it into my head by mixing it up with men's football, thanks.

As far as female football commentators, some of them are very good...but there's a lot of male commentators who are better.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:09 pm

LizinSpain wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:14 pm
I didn't see/hear the comment but agree with you on both counts anyway! If men are playing its a ducking MANS GAME FFS and unless the women up their standards of commentating or being a pundit they can sod off too! The drive me up the ducking wall!!! |Its got nothing to do with womens rights or any of that crap, its got to do with being good at the job you are employed to do regardless of colour or gender!! I'm probably going to get shot now for agreeing with you and not sticking up for womens rights but at least I'll die happy with us top of the league!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is one exception at least Lizzie and that’s Alex Scott who I think is absolutely brilliant, and there’s another female too on Sky Sports who’s been around for years who is very good too.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:03 pm

Didn't see what he said or the context, so I can't comment. But the language thing is ridiculous. I noticed it in cricket - we don't have batsmen any more, we have batters. I thought batter was what was round my fish and chips. Why can't we have batsmen in male cricket and batswomen in female cricket? Likewise we no longer have actresses, they are all actors. I can understand it in cases of gender neutrality/confusion etc, but if they identify as men, they are men; likewise those identifying as women. And if they identify as a golf ball, they can do what the f*ck they like.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:13 pm

In the world we live in now surely it is only a matter of time before somebody complains about a website called Tractor-Boys.com. :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:38 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:13 pm
In the world we live in now surely it is only a matter of time before somebody complains about a website called Tractor-Boys.com. :lol:
We can probably get away with it because “Tractor Boys” is the nickname of the mens football team. It also helps as the woman’s team are often referred to as the “Tractor Girls” even tho half of them probably don’t know what sex they are.

On an aside a recent declaration form I had to complete on arrival in America under Q. re Sex I had four choices; 1) Male, 2) Female, 3) Not Sure or 4) Prefer not to say, No wonder so many are in a muddle.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:45 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:20 pm
Alex Scott brilliant? The best bit is the amusement I get from watching her struggle to read the auto cue because she's as thick as a pig sh*t.

She's no Dan Walker on football focus is she?, although I don't watch that now for that very reason.
Maybe she is a tad thick but that’s not uncommon for a footballer, in my opinion she looks good, has a great personality and knows enough about the game to make sensible comments unlike many who’ve been wheeled out in front of the cameras since the Lionesses recent success.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:38 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
We can probably get away with it because “Tractor Boys” is the nickname of the mens football team. It also helps as the woman’s team are often referred to as the “Tractor Girls” even tho half of them probably don’t know what sex they are.

On an aside a recent declaration form I had to complete on arrival in America under Q. re Sex I had four choices; 1) Male, 2) Female, 3) Not Sure or 4) Prefer not to say, No wonder so many are in a muddle.
Ffs. Well from what I can remember from my schooldays in the good old U.S.A they were always keen on multiple choice questions. :lol:
Stop the world I just want to get off.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:47 pm

:lol: @ Souness.

It's all Gordon Ramsay's fault. He started the "let's shock the audience" shyte. Now everyone is trying to jump on that controversial bandwagon.

BTW, Souness is correct.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:00 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:38 pm
Though we do sometimes discuss the ladies team, so perhaps it should be called tractor-people?!!

In agreement with most, it's very frustrating that while trying to get a better balance with things, which is a good thing, many take it as an opportunity to go way way too far, it gets silly and makes things worse.

Though I do have to stand up and say that this thread is trying to redress that balance in the other direction and then saint took it too far! That's not a fair post. :lol:

Everthing should be on merit, not on quotas or appearances. Many female pundits are better than some of the men, Michael Owen is worse than all the women I've watched!! They are knowledgeable, they do know what they are talking about, it's unfair to paint them as airheads, but they should only get the gig if they're deemed better at the job than the man they replace, pretty simple.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:32 am

Ricco wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:08 pm
……Michael Owen is worse than all the women I've watched…..
Close your eyes and listen to Michael Owen speak, Ricco ——>> Its Gary Barlow.
“Yeeeees, the striiiiiiiker wasn’t best placed for the attempt, but regaaaaaardless of that, my new siiiiiingle is out next week. Its eeeeeequally as shiiiiiiite as the laaaaast one, but pleeeease buy it.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:12 am

A pleasure to listen to compared to that vile wanker Carragher, worst accent the world has ever heard.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:13 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:12 am
A pleasure to listen to compared to that vile wanker Carragher, worst accent the world has ever heard.
Darren Farley doing “Carrrrrra” impression is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/fQSqpzD3HTM

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:31 am

:lol:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:51 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll1NmgUe408

This is also very good 👍 From 2 years ago.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:38 pm

Couldn't agree more. I thought at first it was just me who was thinking that around the Graham Souness comments and that I was missing something.
Everything is getting out of hand these days on all these issues. Complete lack of balance and commonsense.
Really pleased that Souness refused to withdraw his comments.