League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we make it 4 in a row?

Shrewsbury Town win
No votes
Ipswich Town Win
72%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:10 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:48 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:25 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:16 pm
This referee worries me already Town had a clear penalty not given :shock:
…. or possibly the perfect tackle of the season. Would be good to see in slow mo.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Stuart_Watso ... nalty%2F19

Penalty all day long!!
It looked like a penalty to me too, but ifollow coverage is hardly conclusive and not worth getting excited about. 50% of the time you’ll call it right and 50% you’ll most likely call it wrong, that’s just the way it is. That said I’d prefer ifollow than not having it available.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:21 pm

Given our forthcoming fixtures we’ll have a much better idea at the end of September of just how good this squad is and our realistic chances of securing promotion this season.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:43 pm

Saw the game, thought we were in total control and passed it around well. Second half (again) was better.

Really pleased, four wins from five, and won four in a row only conceding once.

I don’t think Shrewsbury have conceded many this season so that’s a good away win.

The squad depth is looking good now too.

Really happy today

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:19 pm

I thought we were totally in control despite not being at our best. The last half hour were took our foot off a bit, they have was won and Shrewsbury offered no threat. I thought they were very poor. When we have the ball away they were very eager to give it back to us. I think they will really struggle this season based on that performance.
A comfortable win, too early to get carried away but an encouraging start to the season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:13 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:07 pm
So we win 3-0 easily..... and all the talk is about the penalty that wasn't given. I guess there's more mileage in drama and feeling wronged. If we're going to get bad luck /decisions against us it's better we have it when we win easily.

I didn't even think we played that well. Bit sloppy, passing in the first half wayward. But we've got a bit of extra class on the pitch to find the net and we seem to be able to see out games more easily. It was pipe and slippers the last 20-30 minutes. It felt all a bit too easy, but not complaining.

Great start to the season.... but I'm really looking forward to see us against a Sheff Wed or a Peterborough or a Derby because until we play a top team not sure how good we are.

How can you say our passing was wayward Tang, In the first half our passing accuracy was 83% and over 90 mins it was 84% of 577 passes which is huge. Even when attacking in our opponents half our accuracy was 78% which suggests we were in complete control. That could hardly be described as sloppy albeit you can only play against what’s put in front of you which today wasn’t much.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:37 am

Viewed game highlights, couldn't pick out the right's and wrongs of the early penalty incident such were the camera angle. Whether it were or not seems immaterial in that we went on to win by a comprehensive score.

The biggest factor here is the team is winning games regular. Not always a full deserved victory in every case but taking three points nonetheless.

Today seemed or were different. The players appeared to rise to the challenge and went about their job with desire and ambition. Statistics indicate we outrode them clearly with chances and possession alone. Shrewsbury may have had an opportunity at some time or another but there can be little argument from them in that they were beaten.

Great start to the season, almost flawless in fact. Tarmished to a small degree by the requisite Cup bullshit elimination but over that, it's been a start that many, being a realist, could not have envisaged. McKenna takes a lot of accolades going, difference between himself and some previous team coaches we had here is really night and day.

Hope the club can retain his services when contract expires or beyond next May but guess we cross that bridge when we find it.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:25 am

I don't care if we are in the championship for 3 seasons..as long as we get out of this crap league where its so hard to play good flowing football ..owing to teams hell bent on parking the bus or hoof ball.or very bad playing surfaces. Once we are in the championship ..we know that it's only one step from the promised land

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:51 am

Winning easily while not playing particularly well is a very encouraging sign. As others have said, we have more challenging games coming and we should have a better sense of our real form come the end of September.

Shrewsbury were very poor though. If that is an indication of how they will go for the rest of the season, I think they are in big trouble,.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:22 am

Nice to see John-Jules has the jewels to score a brilliant goal! Shrewsbury have actually done ok in their opening games, so I don’t think they’re that bad. What hasn’t been mentioned is another clean sheet…with defensive changes I might add. I think maybe KM is the Messiah!

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 am

Was quite euphoric after Saturday. Top of the league, starting to draw away already from the chasing pack bar Posh. Cold reality kicked in this morning with a more in depth look at the results and league table. Our 4 wins have come against teams that sit 18th.20th.22nd and last. FGR and Burton against both of whom we really struggled were beaten comprehensively at home by Plymouth and Port Vale respectively. MKDons managed 1-1 at home against Accrington and Bolton, with whom we gained a hard fought home draw, were well beaten at home 2-0 by Sheffield Wed. This suggests we are perhaps looking better than we actually are and come the harder matches we may struggle to maintain a top six spot. I think the addition of a player who can take it to the central defenders and score/assist regularly is now of paramount importance

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:00 am

patthegimp wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 am
Was quite euphoric after Saturday. Top of the league, starting to draw away already from the chasing pack bar Posh. Cold reality kicked in this morning with a more in depth look at the results and league table. Our 4 wins have come against teams that sit 18th.20th.22nd and last. FGR and Burton against both of whom we really struggled were beaten comprehensively at home by Plymouth and Port Vale respectively. MKDons managed 1-1 at home against Accrington and Bolton, with whom we gained a hard fought home draw, were well beaten at home 2-0 by Sheffield Wed. This suggests we are perhaps looking better than we actually are and come the harder matches we may struggle to maintain a top six spot. I think the addition of a player who can take it to the central defenders and score/assist regularly is now of paramount importance
Well I've enjoyed the season so far, but there's no getting away from it - there going to be tougher opponents in front of us.

I do have faith we'll be in the top six because we've improved in certain areas from last season ( or seem to) and McKenna's football is pretty consistent. I don't think there'll be a sudden drop-off in form or performance. All depends how good other top teams are and if we can sneak top two.

For the first 3 games I was happy enough with Ladapo. Worked hard for the team and surely goals would come. But yesterday, he was presented with a decent chance which he wasted with a powder-puff effort straight at the GK. As a squad player Ladapos fine- but not sure I'd want him to be our no. 1 striker through the season. Might be good timing that he wasted the one on one against Burton and the chance yesterday and might just emphasise how much we need a striker. If we can afford Celina's waged - surely we can afford a decent striker.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:00 am

patthegimp wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 am

This is exactly why we have to wait until the end of September at the earliest before we start seriously thinking about our chances of promotion. By then we’ll have played a decent cross section of the teams we’re up against. Even then it’s difficult when you have teams like Plymouth who lose 5-1 on Tuesday and four days later win 3-0.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:33 am

Good post tang. What I would say though is last years issue wasn’t vs the top sides as we can give anyone a game, it was struggling to beat the lower sides - and that seems much improved now which gives me good hope.

Agree we may need a big striker though.

Stats wise we are right up there across the board, the performances have been good and a mile ahead of this time last year.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:48 am

I’m just enjoying the moment. Yes the teams we have beaten so far are currently placed in the lower end of the table but these are the games where if you are serious about getting promotion you need to get maximum points from. No doubt there will be many harder tests to come but as they say you can only beat what is in front of you and that is what we have done so far.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:57 am

shabba wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:33 am
……it was struggling to beat the lower sides - and that seems much improved now which gives me good hope.
Yep, this for me too. Use Hibs as an example…….. lose to 10 in defence Livingston and get the 2-2 draw v Rangers who came to Easter Road to play football.
These wins v 18th , 20th etc etc are huge. Bring on the more open games v Wednesday etc —->> the wins could be even easier. 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:57 pm

We haven't been properly tested in the League as yet. Waiting until 'big hitters' such as Peterborough and Sheffield Wednesday get to face us and see what goes down when the time arises.

Derby were expected to rout most others by "professional pundits" but they're like occupying eight position and scored three goals with it. So much for expert prophecy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:53 pm

Those teams are in the lower reaches of the division because they have played us in one of their games, had they played someone else it could have been Three extra points for them and top 10, why does there always have to be a negative? Are we not allowed to just enjoy the moment? Shrewsbury beating Wycombe away and drawing with Bolton hardly suggests they are crap, maybe just maybe we made them look crap ?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:30 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:57 pm
We haven't been properly tested in the League as yet. Waiting until 'big hitters' such as Peterborough and Sheffield Wednesday get to face us and see what goes down when the time arises.

Derby were expected to rout most others by "professional pundits" but they're like occupying eight position and scored three goals with it. So much for expert prophecy.
“Big hitters” in the league! Have they got as many points as us? Have they played each other yet? We can only beat the team in front of us,just sit back and actually enjoy what’s happening at the moment FGS!

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:14 pm
It was obvious in live play it was a penalty, that only confirms it.
Looked offside,,hacked down though.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:06 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:06 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:30 pm
arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:57 pm

“Big hitters” in the league! Have they got as many points as us? Have they played each other yet? We can only beat the team in front of us,just sit back and actually enjoy what’s happening at the moment FGS!
It's a fair point imo. Bolton are the only team we've played so far.
So when a ‘big hitter”plays one of the teams we have played and they win is it because they are still a poor team? As I said have the teams just below us played any big hitters yet? so basically they are in the same situation as us.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:25 pm

I actually don’t mind the negativity anymore. I mean we’ve been dressed up for the party before and how many times have we failed to take the bird home? Of course, I’m confident we’re in good hands. We’ll see…

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:49 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:53 pm
Those teams are in the lower reaches of the division because they have played us in one of their games, had they played someone else it could have been Three extra points for them and top 10, why does there always have to be a negative? Are we not allowed to just enjoy the moment? Shrewsbury beating Wycombe away and drawing with Bolton hardly suggests they are crap, maybe just maybe we made them look crap ?

I agree with this to a point. You can only play who is put in front of you, and regardless of who we have played in the first 5 games we have had our best start to a season for quite a few years, so of course we should enjoy it.

However, we did struggle a bit against Bolton, who were the best team we have played so far, so I can see the value in comments such as we need to wait to see how we perform against the better teams before we get carried away.

Personally I think there will be a few ups and downs through the season. One thing that really does worry me is KMs seeming insistence on playing rotation. A bit of rotation is fine, but to make 5 changes to a winning team is way over the top in my opinion. I took the opportunity to look at each of the Premier teams this weekend and see how many changes they had made from their previous game - in most cases it was only 1 or 2, 1 team made 3. It can be argued of course that rotation keeps players on their toes, but I'm from the old school and believe a settled side makes for happy players and doesnt dent their confidence. I sincerely hope that KMs policy does not prove to be our undoing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:00 am

I agree completely with not too much rotation unless it's forced upon us although that said I was glad we dropped Edmundson.

Regarding Bolton Gary, we outplayed them second half and really should have won it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:03 am

I’m with Rossi too on the subject of rotation. My preference would always be to play a settled starting X1 especially when the team are on a winning run of games. There’s even more justification for this with 5 subs as players not involved at the start have every opportunity to show their worth and put themselves in the frame for when the starting X1 go off the boil.

The best example of this is at Arsenal where they are the only team yet to drop a point in the Premier League and have played with the same starting line up in all three games.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:32 am

Yep agree with the rotation thing, only thing I would say playing devil's advocate is we've got to the top of the league with rotation lol.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:29 am

I think it’s because we have better players, with better coaching I think, and there’s this big thing about the players investing in the idea of “roles” within the squad/ team and being happy to be part of the squad even when not on the pitch.

McKenna and his staff have done a really good job in educating the players.

I would add to this, that McKenna stated only s week ago it was about keeping the players as fresh as possible throughout the long season. So it looks like this rotation (which is supported by a far better science base and coaching back up), then Lambert ever used, which in hindsight looked very random and ad hoc.

Under the current manager there appears to be two similar/ quality players for every “ role” in the team. I’d suggest Lambert/ Cook did achieve thus. So wholesale changes meant disruption to performances as those players coming in weren’t as good and didn’t / couldn’t maintain the required performances as a “ group”.

The language McKenna uses is really fascinating tbh and indicates a far deeper level of understanding and analysis of the game than ANY of his managerial predescessors ever achieved.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:22 pm

Absolutely agree with that, also let's look at who he switched, Ladapo, a few have been unimpressed with him so not a bad call by KM, Edmundson, regarded as dodgy by most of us, KM seems to have acknowledged it, Davis, questioned by a few of us, myself included, KM probably noticed the mistakes he's been making, Aluko, Jackson, filled in in a very unfamiliar role so no Surprise there, Aluko, struggles a little with Two games in Four days, and Burns injured so all things we've picked up o. Between us. That said I wouldn't want Five changes every game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:46 pm

TBH Mike as long as we keep winning games who are we to question what he does. However at this time I’d prefer to be Arsenal than Manchester United 🤣

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:19 pm

:lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:40 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:46 pm
TBH Mike as long as we keep winning games who are we to question what he does. However at this time I’d prefer to be Arsenal than Manchester United 🤣
Speaking of ManU, it should be an interesting match tonight if it doesn’t get postponed. I’m not sure what the fans want from the Glazers…they’ve spent hundreds of millions, brought in numerous top managers. I do think it’s time to sell though. Funny, I never thought there’d ever be the possibility of Ipswich & Manu in the Championship together! :lol: