League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the great start going?

Ipswich Win
82%
Barnsley Win
9%
Draw
9%

Total votes: 22

Andym

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:52 am

I just felt that we were slightly the better better side but not at our best. We save the ball away cheaply with some poor passing, particularly in the first half.
It was a strange game, I don’t think either side had a corner in the first hour.
Despite having the edge, I never felt confident that we would win - except maybe in the: seconds between our third goal being scored and disallowed.
I haven’t looked at any highlights or replays, but I think many refs wouldn’t have given us the free kick for it first goal. Burns appeared to be nudged a few times and lost balance but never seemed to be brought down. I repeat, I haven’t watched any replays, that was hired I saw it at the time.
There were times when I was worried we would lose; particularly in the period in the second half when they went very close on two occasions in with succession. It’s in that basis - gut feeling rather than thinking about specific incidents - that made me feel a draw wasn’t an unfair result.
While I wouldn’t want us to adopt the big tall knock/it-long approach, it would be nice to have at least one player in the team who you think might score from a header.
Finally, it’s easy to criticise team selection, and of course there has been little criticism while we have been winning. McKenna seems to pick his team based on who will do best against the particular opposition and their style of play, which I guess is a good thing but still not at so convinced by Davies. But having gone to Shrewsbury last week, I don’t think we were brilliant there either. But Shrewsbury, who have a very small squad, looked knackered. We had made changes and our players had so much more energy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:56 am

I don't think we are constantly complaining about refs, certainly from my point of view its the first one this season, and with justification. You are right about us marking better, that was poor and I'm sure we will see change in that regard soon enough (Keogh).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:59 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:55 am
well, 14 points from 6 games is still pretty good and I'm more than happy with the situation, but it could and probably should be better.

But I do have some concerns, mainly about the manager (who I've backed since his appointment but in whom I'm gradually losing confidence when listening to some of the ridiculous things he says).

First off - it's no good whining and bleating about the referee, and it does us no service as a club when the manager does exactly that. Of course the Harness goal should never have been disallowed - one of several terrible decisions by a referee determined to interrupt the flow of play whenever possible and to appear as the big I am. But, we're in a sh*t league (entirely through our own fault) with sh*t officials - everybody knows that, so just deal with it.

Secondly - 3 changes to the starting line-up after a 3-0 away win? What's that all about? That makes 8 changes in the last 2 games, far too many. I suppose one change was made so he could get Burns back in the team. In the 47th minute, Burns initially did well to beat his man and get to the by-line, there were 5 or 6 of our players in the penalty area but Burns' cross went at knee height to the first defender. No improvement from last season, then, and until he can improve his delivery he'll never be a top player.

Lastly, I'm concerned that we have dropped 4 points at home already - that's nowhere near promotion form. I said before the game that one of the reasons I expected a difficult game was because we were at home. The trouble is that teams coming here will pack out the midfield and defence and it's difficult to break teams down using the approach and type of football that KM wants to play. In this way I would say that he's as one-dimensional as PC was. It's fine to play the pretty football away from home, but at home when opposing defence and midfield are packed out you need to take a more direct approach - more long balls to TWO strikers one of whom at least needs to be a big target man. So it really surprises me that KM seems to think we're fine in the striking front, because I don't think we are. Maybe he just says that through embarrassment at the club having spent all it's time chasing an unrealistic target (Hirst). I just hope that our home form does not prove to be our nemesis this season, but something needs to change for sure.
Regarding the home form Gary, I would agree with you if we'd struggled and not deserve to win both games, and I know its all ifs and buts and we didn't win them but I think we all know that should have been Six points, Bolton and Barnsley are both tricky teams but I can see us steamrolling a fair few teams at home, also the home form may not be promotion form by itself but 9 from 9 away most definitely is.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:03 pm

Must admit..... I'm with Azzuromark & Bluemike. Its the only sport on the planet where players (time wasting) and refs (getting it wrong) CAN dictate the outcome of a game. Doesn't happen in any other ball and field sport, Rugby Union, Rugby League or AFL.
ALL decisions are accurate in AFL. And as a side note...... all games are the same duration. None of this discretional "added on time" where players use it to roll around feigning injury. Its a farce.
And one added moan......., like the back pass was scrapped...... the governing bodies need to think up a rule about the "taking it into the corner" thing. 90 minute game......, but the last 5 are in a corner. Need to change that.

But the most important thing......., the ITFC poll in this thread..... 81% win, 10% draw, 10% loss......, 101% ? Even the forum calculator is making up new percentage totals. FFS, get your act together!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:43 pm

I have said for a long while that teams will always come to PR t9 “ park the bus”, and that we will do much better away from home. For promotion t9 happen our away form must continue and we need to minimise the effects of shyte housers that visit PR. The refs we can’t do anything about. But as always , take out chances ( we hit the woodwork twice yesterday, and how about our defenders actually getting on the end of our own bloody corners!! They’re nowhere to be seen).

Overall when look8mg at our squad / team , I’d say our weaker players are actually our two CBs . They very dodging when under real pressure and p*ss about with it bringing out of defence. The ball is ALWAYS passed ( eventually) to Woolfie who then passes it to Donacian, who passes it to Burns. It ain’t rocket science that opponents will ( and do), close that outlet down. Also the SPEED at which we build from the back is fa4 to pedestrian. Mix it up a little, go long occasionally, change the pace of the passing , and direction ! Honestly it’s basics.

And for the record , I’d actually look to replace BOTH Woolfie and Edmundson. I don’t think they’re good enough ( when compared to the quality of the rest of the team.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:43 pm
I have said for a long while that teams will always come to PR t9 “ park the bus”, and that we will do much better away from home. For promotion t9 happen our away form must continue and we need to minimise the effects of shyte housers that visit PR. The refs we can’t do anything about. But as always , take out chances ( we hit the woodwork twice yesterday, and how about our defenders actually getting on the end of our own bloody corners!! They’re nowhere to be seen).

Overall when look8mg at our squad / team , I’d say our weaker players are actually our two CBs . They very dodging when under real pressure and p*ss about with it bringing out of defence. The ball is ALWAYS passed ( eventually) to Woolfie who then passes it to Donacian, who passes it to Burns. It ain’t rocket science that opponents will ( and do), close that outlet down. Also the SPEED at which we build from the back is fa4 to pedestrian. Mix it up a little, go long occasionally, change the pace of the passing , and direction ! Honestly it’s basics.

And for the record , I’d actually look to replace BOTH Woolfie and Edmundson. I don’t think they’re good enough ( when compared to the quality of the rest of the team.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Lol …… V…..

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:24 pm

I’ve never been one to constantly moan about refereeing decisions and always looked at them like swings and roundabouts, sometimes they go your way and sometimes they don’t and just like luck it usually evens out between good and bad.

However, that referee yesterday must rank as one the poorest professional referees I have ever seen as his interpretation of the rules were inconsistent and incompetent throughout the 90 minutes of play.

Does anyone know how referees are assessed, is it match by match and who does the assessment. I mean if that guy was assessed yesterday surely he’d either be stood down, fined, or demoted to a lower level of football and work his way back up.

I know it’s not easy for referees especially at our level where they may only be used to officiating games in front of a few thousand fans, and then like yesterday be suddenly thrown in front of 25,000 noisy fans, maybe this could is part of the problem we’re up against at Portman Road. Maybe a guy like him yesterday convinces himself before the game that he won’t be swayed by the home fans and that determines him to give nothing in our favour.

There just has to be a plausible explanation why a guy like him yesterday made so many bad decisions against us. because surely he wouldn’t keep getting games to referee each week if yesterdays performance was a regular occurrence.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:46 pm

100% correct, those who say you have to take the rough with the smooth and things even themselves out are normally correct, but this tool yesterday went beyond that, he was inept beyond belief, those Two points could be very very costly.

In answer to your question I have no idea how these goons are assessed, I wonder if they even are tbh, I think we'd all agree that KM is a placid, level headed and sensible character so for him to react the way he did speaks volumes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:56 pm

Someone on here is f**king bored. Adding an Ipswich "win" to the poll on Sunday afternoon? Jaysus H. :lol:
Ah well, at least it corrected the percentages. Nice job.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:43 pm

Charny, that Ref yesterday, apparently has 150 Championship games in his CV.

He’s obviously lied on his CV then, coz he’s waaaaaaaaaaaay below standard.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:02 pm

I've looked at the Harness goal several times with harness and their big CB brawling it out and Harness skipping past and slamming the ball home, and it looked like the CB was baffled by the ref's decision he looked at his mate and gave a grinning sigh of relief, so nope sorry ref you were very wrong there the goal should have stood FACT.

Now when is Keogh going to play ??? or is he just an observer I want to see him alongside Wolfie to tighten that back four up tighter than a ducks arse that's watertight.

KM will make further changes against Northampton Tuesday and give some others game time on yet another useless cup game, I still think clubs should have the option of not playing in certain cup games as In most cases they're glad to be knocked out and concentrate on the League and FA cup matches.

And as for teams that come here to park the bus then we have to look for a big Frontman who can use brutal heavy tactics to barge his way past these defenses and KM to use 4 4 2 type plans.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:58 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:56 pm
Someone on here is f**king bored. Adding an Ipswich "win" to the poll on Sunday afternoon? Jaysus H. :lol:
Ah well, at least it corrected the percentages. Nice job.

Sounds to me like someone is even more bored to notice. 🤣

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 pm

:lol: 👍