League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the great start going?

Ipswich Win
82%
Barnsley Win
9%
Draw
9%

Total votes: 22

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:30 am

Image Ipswich Town v Barnsley FC Image

Saturday 27th August 2022 – 15:00

Portman Road

Mike’s Weekly Comments

Saturday's trip to Shrewsbury panned out exactly as I expected it to as Town chalked up a comprehensive and largely trouble free Three goal victory to cement their place at the top of the League One table and in doing so record their Fourth win on the bounce and their Third consecutive clean sheet. There was plenty of talk prior to the game about it being a potentially tough game and how a point would not be a bad result, personally I didn't see it and felt Town would be coming home with the points, thankfully that is exactly how it turned out.

With Kieran McKenna ringing the changes it gave others the chance to step up and be noticed and thankfully they didn't disappoint, it was One of those "fresh faces" that got Town up and running, Tyreece John-Jules chalking up his first goal for the club with a superb individual effort as he ran back to dispossess a Shrewsbury player before going on a surging run into the box and calmly firing home to give Town the perfect start fairly early on. The goal had come a little bit out of the Blue, not because we weren't on top but more to do with the fact we didn't really start the game all that well, passes going astray, attacks breaking down, defensive slips again prevalent all contributing to a below par start. It was no more than Town deserved though as the were inexplicably denied a stonewall penalty as early as the Sixth minute when Kane Vincent-Young was scythed down inside the box when clean through, not only was it a penalty but a Red card to boot. The goal certainly settled any nerves and Town then started to look more "on it" and took the game to the Shrews. Despite Town being on top they failed to create too many clear cut chances as the half drew to a close while at the other end Shrewsbury did give Town keeper Christian Walton a couple of scary moments without really threatening the goal, so Town went in a goal to the good and good value for their lead.

The second half started in much the same vein with Town in the ascendancy and Shrewsbury living off scraps, it wasn't long before Town doubled their lead to pretty much put the game to bed, even at that early stage. Leif Davis, who had started slowly but had gradually grew into the game advanced well down the Left before firing in an excellent cross for Conor Chaplin to fire home with the help of a little deflection, The Town fans behind the goal went wild as the players celebrated to a man. Chances continued to flow for Town with Vincent-Young, Morsy, Evans and Ladapo all trying their luck, at the other end Walton was forced into a routine save as Shrewsbury offered little.

With the game drawing to a close it was one of Town's subs that got the Third to put a realistic look to the final score, Kayden Jackson helping himself to his First of the season after skipper Morsy's effort had been cleared off the line. It was a pretty routine afternoon for Town who made it Four in a row without really getting close to the type of Football they are capable of which really does auger well for the long haul ahead. Tyreece John-Jules really caught the eye and looks a real talent while Luke Woolfenden, Sam Morsy and Marcus Harness can all be pleased with their efforts although it has to be said that once again it was a real team effort and everyone played their part.

The Tractor rolls on this weekend with a Home game against Barnsley who have had a tough start to life in League One following their relegation last season, so far it has been a case of lose, Win, Lose, Win, Lose, lets hope that sequence doesn't continue, they currently occupy Sixteenth place in the table and last time out were thrashed by Three goals at home to Wycombe Wanderers. It is possible Town could come up against a certain James Norwood who joined the tykes in the Summer following his release by Town, Norwood came on as a second half substitute last weekend and duly picked up his customary Yellow card.

With Town being on the crest of a wave right now and with another large and vociferous crowd behind them I am very hopeful of the boys making it Five in a row to maintain the pace at the top of the table, again it is how we perform that will determine the outcome but wins continue to come without us getting close to anything like our best, if we get it right on the day this will be another Three points in the bag, I believe we will. We are starting to build something here, Kieran's at the wheel. COYB'S

The Opposition – Barnsley FC Honours

League

Football League Championship

Runners-up: 1996–97

Football League One

Winners (3): 1933–34, 1938–39, 1954–55
Promoted: 1980–81, 2018–19
Play–off winners (2): 2006, 2016

Football League Two

Promoted: 1967–68, 1978–79

Cup

FA Cup

Winners (1): 1911–12
Finalists: 1909–10

Football League Trophy

Winners (1): 2015–16

The Manager – Michael Duff

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

30 Jul Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Bolton

6 Aug Forest Green 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

13 Aug Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Milton Keynes

16 Aug Burton Albion 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

20 Aug Shrewsbury 0 - 3 Ipswich Town

Barnsley

30 Jul Plymouth 1 - 0 Barnsley

6 Aug Barnsley 1 - 0 Cheltenham

13 Aug Derby County 2 - 1 Barnsley

16 Aug Barnsley 3 - 0 Bristol Rovers

20 Aug Barnsley 0 - 3 Wycombe

Head to Head

Match referee – Stephen Martin

IPSWICH TOWN 2 Barnsley FC 1

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:14 am

I’ll throw my usually cautious hat off and say a 2-0 win for Town. Now watch me regret this :lol:

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:34 am

I can't see anything other than a reasonably comfortable win. Winning becomes a habit and the confidence in the team just now is palpable. Bigger tests to come, but the start we've had has put us in fine fettle to face this opposition.
Last edited by MasseyFerguson on Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:10 am

Apart from their random 3-0 win at home to Bristol Rovers they’ve done pretty much nothing. I can’t see anything other than another town win which just leaves the margin which I think will be 3 goals to nil as long as Christian Walton can continue covering up the mistakes made by those in front of him.

Looking forward to watching again on ifollow which has really transformed my Saturday afternoons.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:51 am

I have an uneasy feeling about this game, will Norwood play and score, we know what to expect. They have always worried me a little and although form counts for a lot there is always the case that anyone can beat anyone in this League, before the season started I thought Barnsley would be up there or abouts, early days.

Hoping for a hard fought 3 - 2 win.

COYB!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:16 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:51 am
I have an uneasy feeling about this game, will Norwood play and score, we know what to expect. They have always worried me a little and although form counts for a lot there is always the case that anyone can beat anyone in this League, before the season started I thought Barnsley would be up there or abouts, early days.

Hoping for a hard fought 3 - 2 win.

COYB!
Norwood and Morsy get in a fight and both get sent off! I hope not obviously, but there is potential. :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:42 pm

Nice preview and really hoping James doesn’t play. He’ll just score and that’ll not be very good at all. 🤦‍♂️

Think Barnsley will raise their game for this but predicting Ipswich to take care of that with a couple from big Tony Mowbray and one from Reuser. 3-0 ITFC.

Barnsley boss caption
HEADLINE:
DUFF IN DUFF MOOD AFTER DUFF PERFORMANCE FROM HIS DUFF TEAM.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:05 pm

There’s definitely a goal from Johnny Wark, probably a header from a corner. And Alan Brazil will get the winner against…Barnsley???

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:33 am

Going to be a tough one but think we'll win. I'm going with 3-2 but only just! #coyb

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:48 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:05 pm
There’s definitely a goal from Johnny Wark, probably a header from a corner. And Alan Brazil will get the winner against…Barnsley???
Yep……. Sad innit? Should be Liverpool or Man Utd for us entitled 50 year plus folks.

Barnsley?? Who?

5-0 ITFC……

…… half time

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:22 pm

:lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:12 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:42 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:42 pm

Barnsley boss caption
HEADLINE:
DUFF IN DUFF MOOD AFTER DUFF PERFORMANCE FROM HIS DUFF TEAM.
Taking that as my cue to start the shìt jokes.....

He uses Head & Shouders because he caught an itchy scalp from his brother Dan Duff
Holy shoot, Balls…… you certainly grabbed the cue with both hands wi that one.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:05 pm

As sh*t jokes go, it was an absolute topper, buddy. 👍 :lol:

Biggest headline in the world:

DUFF RESULT @ ELLAND ROAD “LEADS” TO SO MUCH HEAD SCRATCHING THAT TYKES BOSSES BROTHER, DAN SHOWS UP WITH SUPPOSED WELL KNOWN HAIR BRAND…….., TURNS OUT, IT WAS THE DUFF ALDI VERSION.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Ref caption:

“Here……. Someone take this watch. Im off. Can’t handle these shitty duff jokes anymore.”

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:08 am

Wanted to write up a 4 - 2 home win with mind on the 2000 Play-off Game but thought it's too fanciful, there won't be that many goals on the day.

We'll win, 3 - 1 is a more realistic prophecy. Five wins and a tie from opening six league fixtures, it's a dream start if the team can manage it. Got to be quietly confident.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:10 am

So far so good this season, the game against Barnsley tomorrow should be a good test for us. It is hard to work out what to expect from our opponents looking at their results so far!
One thing we must do is cut out the stupid pressured errors when playing out from the back! So far no team has really punished us in the league (that I recall), but Barnsley could be one of those teams, especially if a fired up Norwood is in the side. He will be chasing down everything and you just know that one dodgy pass and he is bound to punish us for it! I just hope that our fans don't give him to much stick as that will just serve to fan the fire!
For me I see a close 2-1 win for Town, but see Norwood getting on the scoresheet and hence no clean sheet for Walton this weekend!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:23 am

A lot of Norwood in the above post. You must be singing from the same hymn sheet as myself. Bad move letting James go. Not when still in shitty League One. Even just as a “coming of the bench” option.
Hopefully the defence can keep him quiet if he plays.
And if he plays, fans giving him stick could be a positive or negative….. he could get himself sent off, or he’ll score. 🤷‍♂️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:39 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:23 am
A lot of Norwood in the above post. You must be singing from the same hymn sheet as myself. Bad move letting James go. Not when still in shitty League One. Even just as a “coming of the bench” option.
And if he plays, fans giving him stick could be a positive or negative….. he could get himself sent off, or he’ll score. 🤷‍♂️
No doubt he will be a thorn in our side. Reading a Barnsley forum and the early jury is out on him, a lot of them citing a lack of full match fitness.

I think this game could be an ideal time to play Keogh (if up to match fitness) as alot is mentioned of his ability to bring the ball out of defence! He sounds very much like a KM type of player and I'd love to see him alongside Wolfie as a calming and influential presence! Keogh, with his vast experience, would be my "go to player" for the games against the bigger sides, while using Edmundson and Burgess against sides like Burton etc.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:09 pm

Regarding Norwood’s start to his time at Oakwell, manager Michael Duff said: “It has been difficult for Nors. He has been as frustrated as anyone and knows he has not quite been 'at it' and has not had a pre-season. We are trying to get him fit.

“People don't see the other things - the outside of football - which have been going on as well. Hopefully, that will settle down a bit and we will get him fitter. He is proven at the level and has scored goals and is a handful.

“He is a bit more of a throwback and runs hard and knocks defenders over. Sometimes he might not like the most technical and cleanest, but there's different ways and we just want him to score goals.

“One thing he has been is good in the dressing room and is one of the reasons we brought him in. But we brought him into play, but he does add experience and has helped when we have had a couple of bumps on the road and is prepared to dig people out because he has been there and done it.”
The Manager clearly isn't glowing thus far. Good in the dressing room lmfao.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:55 pm

If they use him properly given his current fitness levels, I really wouldn’t be surprised to see him score against us. He knows where the back of the net is and I can see one of Woolfie or Edmundson getting torn a new one at some point in the game even though they “ know” his game.

Fingers crossed for a quiet Nors day ….

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:34 pm

I'm not convinced he'll even start tbh.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:23 am
I would have kept him as well. A player who I would hate to play against, and a regular scorer.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:34 pm
I'm not convinced he'll even start tbh.

I hope you’re right Mike.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:04 am

Don’t know why but just have a bad feeling about this game. Hopefully I am wrong but:
Town 1 Barnsley 2

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:07 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:04 am
Don’t know why but just have a bad feeling about this game. Hopefully I am wrong but:
Town 1 Barnsley 2
Yeah, I know what you mean - it's going to be a difficult game for us I think.

I hope to God that we can win this one, but I suppose we are due to drop points and there are also the following ingredients:

1) it's a home game
2) the opponents have come down from a higher league
3) an ex-striker who was made to feel that he had no choice but to leave the club, and who will thus be champing at the bit to teach us a lesson

So it doesn't auger well, but I'm still hopeful.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:55 am

I don’t think we should be overly concerned with Barnsley - they’ll certainly be more worried about the threat we pose them. Simply put, our squad is better and deeper and the team will be meticulously prepared for the game.

I’d quite like to see Keough deployed on Norwood to keep him quiet though. Norwood doesn’t know him and he’s got the experience to shut him down (assuming he plays)

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:06 pm

I Can see us comfortably winning this 4.0 or more..we playing as a total unit .players know each other..quality all over...mckenna at the wheel..and not in top gear yet ..

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:07 pm

TJJ and ladapo starting. Harness on bench, burns in.

Ball has also made the bench today.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:34 pm

Norwood on bench too

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:37 pm

Going slightly off tangent but how far is Edwards off fitness? and what about Leigh? not on the bench.