Ladapo or TJJ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Ladapo or TJJ?

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:41 pm

Is it time to write off Ladapo as the main starting striker...yet?? I mean, how long did we stick with our non-scoring strikers of last?? I think it's time TJJ gets a good run in the team as the regular starter.

Thoughts...

mendipblue

Re: Ladapo or TJJ?

Post by mendipblue » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:47 pm

Ladapo should not start again. Awful form at the moment. Also Lief Davies should be dropped. The amount of times he gives the ball away is shocking. Don't care if he is 18 or 19 he is not good enough.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:51 pm

I think we should give Freddie a go tonight and if he cannot score against Northampton (no disrespect intended) then start with TJJ next time, maybe even Jackson, his pace is frightening to a defender. If no joy tonight it will only highlight the need for a definite striker too, they really need to start banging them in.

I want Freddie to come good as I like his constant effort, he will come good but maybe the pressure is having a slight effect.

Last year Bonne started well and fizzled out, can see opposite with Freddie and hoping once he gets going it will only get better.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:52 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:48 pm
Hes 22.
:lol: thanks for that...he is still crap!! :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:57 pm

This comes from twtd. Central striker goal return under McK.

"29 League Games 5 Goals

Bonne 9 Games Started & 1 Goal
Jackson 4/1
Pigott 5/0
Norwood 5/1 (+ 1 goal as sub)
Ladapo 5/0
John-Jules 1/1"

Is our main striker supposed to even score? Have to admit - even Morsy gets more chances to score than our striker. Maybe a Mckenna striker is a non-scoring striker who runs the channels and sets up chances for a Harness or Chaplin. Think you've got to be unselfish.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:17 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:57 pm

"29 League Games 5 Goals

Jackson 4/1
Pigott 5/0
Ladapo 5/0
John-Jules 1/1"

Is our main striker supposed to even score? Have to admit - even Morsy gets more chances to score than our striker. Maybe a Mckenna striker is a non-scoring striker who runs the channels and sets up chances for a Harness or Chaplin. Think you've got to be unselfish.
That's a generous rationalization for KM don't you think? I think a striker needs to score at least every three or four matches. If so, we would have beaten Bolton and Barnsley.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:41 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:47 pm
Ladapo should not start again. Awful form at the moment. Also Lief Davies should be dropped. The amount of times he gives the ball away is shocking. Don't care if he is 18 or 19 he is not good enough.
Have to say I agree to some extent. Ladapo just doesn't look like scoring, not even close. (Hopefully he'll score 5 tonight now I've said that). And Davies - he gets forward well occasionally but as you say, he gives the ball away regularly, often in dangerous situations. For a possession-based team he just doesn't seem to fit in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:03 pm

TJJ couldn't lead the line like Ladapo can, give the guy a break, he's struggled to score, that's obvious but other aspects of his game are good, it will come, dropping him and we have a dejected player on our hands with no confidence, that won't be good for anyone.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:03 pm
TJJ couldn't lead the line like Ladapo can, give the guy a break, he's struggled to score, that's obvious but other aspects of his game are good, it will come, dropping him and we have a dejected player on our hands with no confidence, that won't be good for anyone.
Fair enough, but how long do we give him??

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:30 pm

Play him into form while it's not affecting results, I guarantee he will score goals.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:36 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:17 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:57 pm

"29 League Games 5 Goals

Jackson 4/1
Pigott 5/0
Ladapo 5/0
John-Jules 1/1"

That's a generous rationalization for KM don't you think? I think a striker needs to score at least every three or four matches. If so, we would have beaten Bolton and Barnsley.
Well look at the stats. And our strikers don't get many chances. Yet.... Harness and Chaplin are doing pretty well. Yes, we want a goal-scoring striker, but I can't see the way we play that we'll get a 20 goal a season striker. The striker will be expected to do a lot of work on his own and the supporting players are likely to prosper.
If I was a striker whose first priority was to score a bucket full of goals.... not sure this role would be one I'd want.

We'd have beaten Bolton if Morsy hadn't missed a sitter and we'd have beaten Barnsley if if wasn't for the ref / bad defending . Nothing to do with the striker not scoring.

I do think we need a new striker, though. If that striker can hit 10-12 goals and put in a shift- job done .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:28 pm

Ian westlake has just said in commentary the way we play the number 9 position is very difficult and chances don't come their way unlike the Number 10s, he said its the only position in out team he wouldn't want to play.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:10 pm

Then why did we get rid of Bonne, Norwood and Piggot?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:19 pm

Bonne & Nors will probably split opinion…….. but Piggott?
He had chances at differing times of match play, early, late etc etc, manager mixing things up……. and was useless. Certainly shyte in the games I witnessed.
Definitely fear Ladapo “could” be the same…….. a plethora of chances to score 1……. Tamponesque

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:56 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:10 pm
Then why did we get rid of Bonne, Norwood and Piggot?
Cus all 3 of them are sh*te, none of them have done anything themselves this season.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:33 am

Ladapo must be something, didn't McKenna pick him for a loan attack at the weekend. It's always awkward to offer opinion without the insight of regular attendees who get to witness action game in game out but Ladapo doesn't quicken a pulse or don't seem to have faith in the name. With the right support i.e. Pigott, Aluko and Jackson to select from as a twin / trio attack formation to partner the kid, just can't see too much productivity ahead. If he's better than stated, then take the opportunity to admit being incorrect.

John-Jules, another player some would question as an answer to a problem but to save time, there's a number of new additions in the forward squad now. Irony is at recent time we had a striker shortage, now lo and behold we seem to have too many options to choose from. The forward players we got - whether you argue they're good enough or otherwise - seem to be doing what their job asks them : as the League start and placing will testify.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:09 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:28 pm
Ian westlake has just said in commentary the way we play the number 9 position is very difficult and chances don't come their way unlike the Number 10s, he said its the only position in out team he wouldn't want to play.
and that probably explains why we seem unable to get in a decent proven striker.

Not sure how I feel about this - if the way KM sets up the team achieves promotion then I suppose nobody can complain.
It's not my idea of how the game should ne played, though - I still hanker after the days of JR in which we employed 2 out and out strikers.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:57 am

As you say if we achieve our aim then he's got it right, I love a striker banging in 20 goals too, not sure that's gonna,happen, but Harness is well on the way to 20 already so does it really matter ? Hopefully not.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:08 am

Yes I did notice that lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:42 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:08 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:03 pm
Fair enough, but how long do we give him??
Well Pigott got one season , and was rarely given a start, unlike Ladapo . Double standards ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:11 pm

You really aren't keen on Ladapo are you ? Lol