League 1 - Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 Points from this fixture?

Accrington Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
71%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 17

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:21 pm

Every week I read, this is a tough game, we'll do well to get a point blah blah blah, believe in this team cus we are going up..... we ain't played anyone yet right z????? Who's gives a f*ck cuus were gonna win this p*ss poor league,

Yes I'm pissed celebrating 🍾 my wedding the boys did us proud today !!! Mckenna is at the wheel, the town are going up !!!! f*ck the doubters, start believing!!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:21 pm
Every week I read, this is a tough game, we'll do well to get a point blah blah blah, believe in this team cus we are going up..... we ain't played anyone yet right z????? Who's gives a f*ck cuus were gonna win this p*ss poor league,

Yes I'm pissed celebrating 🍾 my wedding the boys did us proud today !!! Mckenna is at the wheel, the town are going up !!!! f*ck the doubters, start believing!!!!
:lol: LOVE p*$$ed posts! Superb, Mike. :lol:

Massive congratulations to you and your new bride, buddy....., no doubt it's been a great day and hopefully current DON CUP holder, AylesburyBlue is equally pished celebrating with you. All the very very best, and enjoy that honeymoon.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:55 pm
I’ve only just seen the result today as met up with some old Ipswich Harries running friends who I hadn’t seen for 40yrs.
Can I offer a non pi$$ take mythical conversation......,

Hallam: "Great to see you all again, must dash and go check the Ipswich score."
Long Lost Harry: "You still follow them?"
Hallam: "Oh yes. Blue blood flowing through my veins."
A different Long lost Harry: "So who they playing? Manchester United? Arsenal? Liverpool?"
Hallam: "Its actually Accrington Stanley today."
A 3rd Long Lost Harry: "Ah. FA Cup game?"
Hallam: "No, no. League game."
A 4th Long Lost Harry: "Wow. The Arabs buy the Stanley?"

Hallam proceeds to tell the Harries the Marcus Evans Story..........

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:05 am

shabba wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:21 pm
Steve wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:19 pm
Another thing I am really enjoying is listening to our Manager

Win, draw or lose he really is just so honest, speaks clearly, no waffling on like previous managers. Can totally understand him, no changes from high to low like gasping for breathe or wheezing. Does not go on about his past experiences or saying "Really, really". Pleasure listening to a knowledgeable young man

Long may we hold on to KM and please ITFC, Give the man a longer contract to safe guard his future and us as a club and show him he's wanted. Make bigger clubs having to pay to take him away from ITFC also
Great point Steve, just go and listen to the Accrington boss’ post game interview, he is like a depressed Paul cook.
(It’s on their Facebook page etc)
Well he's OK while things are going reasonably well,the biggest test is when the sh*t hits the fan ;) fingers crossed it wont come to that.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:20 am

Caught highlights to go with game commentary from before. It don't show much, you get the goals and not much else with it. Maybe Walton was called upon first half to shut them out and they missed a chance or two, but by the end of it the best team got the win. Remarkble in a way the magnitude of belief has risen in such a short time. You can enjoy games now and kind of eager to see what the next fixture will bring : turn the clock back only a short time and you'd be despairing at what sh*t Lambert, Hurst, Cook etc would serve up on any given match day.

Getting rid of Marcus Evans was arguably one of the best moves this club name made since Robert Robson came over from Fulham at the end of the 60's. The Game Changer Group may go about their business quietly but it's near precise and effective. The new owners and last are like day and night.

All told a favorable round of scores elsewhere today, Celtic got a 4 - 0 win in the Glasgow Derby, something you don't see every day, and other encouraging scores elsewhere although not all to perfection. Something nasty risen to the surface of the Championship League, put a certain spoil on today truth be told.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:15 am

Much better 2nd half started to dominate possession and our strength of the bench was telling in the end. Great 3pts let's keep it going. :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:35 am

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:11 pm
I think we are getting too excited by a team who are only made look good on odd day by very bad teams..we jst have not got that higher quality bunch of individuals to overcoming the other tougher teams...it could be a long season yet
Are you ever positive ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:45 am

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:15 am
Much better 2nd half started to dominate possession and our strength of the bench was telling in the end. Great 3pts let's keep it going. :D
Those substitutions really helped. Chaplin obviously gets the plaudits, but Ladapo did make a difference too where he could hold the ball up and was better with his back to goal. I have no problem Ladapo leading the line at the moment if Chaplin and Harness are sniffing around getting the goals and we're winning. We need that physical presence up front so glad that this new lad Ahadme fits the profile of a strong, physical front man. I can see Chaplin and Harness being our top scorers with the front man doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

I'd give Ladapo a run out next game at Cambridge.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:48 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:45 am
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:15 am
Those substitutions really helped. Chaplin obviously gets the plaudits, but Ladapo did make a difference too where he could hold the ball up and was better with his back to goal. I have no problem Ladapo leading the line at the moment if Chaplin and Harness are sniffing around getting the goals and we're winning. We need that physical presence up front so glad that this new lad Ahadme fits the profile of a strong, physical front man. I can see Chaplin and Harness being our top scorers with the front man doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

I'd give Ladapo a run out next game at Cambridge.

Exactly the role Firmino has played at Liverpool and it’s worked well for them for years.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:57 am

Did anybody think the referee yesterday was shocking. At first I thought it was ok because he was letting niggling tackled go to keep play moving, but by the time we got to the second half I’m amazed none of the players were seriously injured.

I’ve not seen the highlights but in live play the corner we were given that led to the goal liked like it should have been a goal kick ?

Whilst talking of corners we look so more threatening when we have Lee Evans taking them, he certainly adds a new dimension to the team when he plays.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:09 am

As McKenna has stated on a few occasions, it’s all about “ roles”

Each player has a role in the team. More so than a position. A subtle but very calculated difference by McKenna. He’s using different approaches through different players, doing different roles, in each half.

For me, McKenna’s understanding of the game is light years ahead previous managers we had here in the last 20 years. He is absolutely phenomenal. But he has also acquired a carefully chosen group of players, that have “ specific profiles” and skill sets to enable them to execute McKenna’s game plan. For instance, the players here under Lambert would be incapable of performing to the level this current squad now do.

Ipswich Town FC have morphed into a totally different animal and the scariest thing is this has happened in just over 12 months!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:10 am

Absolutely spot on Tang, Ladapo should be leading the line, Jackson cannot play that role.

I hope it was a goal kick when we got the corner, evens up the Barnsley fiasco.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:36 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:57 pm
That takes a bounce or deflection just in front of keeper surely?
Indeed. Off Burns!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:38 am

As McKenna said in his post match interview Accrington started the game tactically different to what he was expecting. I think he was expecting them to play a high line to start with and that is why he went with Jackson to utilise his pace against it. Nice to hear a manager to admit he probably got it wrong at the start.
Only seen the goals so can’t comment on the overall performance but another away win in the bank which can only be good for confidence.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:09 am
As McKenna has stated on a few occasions, it’s all about “ roles”

Each player has a role in the team. More so than a position. A subtle but very calculated difference by McKenna. He’s using different approaches through different players, doing different roles, in each half.

For me, McKenna’s understanding of the game is light years ahead previous managers we had here in the last 20 years. He is absolutely phenomenal. But he has also acquired a carefully chosen group of players, that have “ specific profiles” and skill sets to enable them to execute McKenna’s game plan. For instance, the players here under Lambert would be incapable of performing to the level this current squad now do.

Ipswich Town FC have morphed into a totally different animal and the scariest thing is this has happened in just over 12 months!
I agree completely. When he arrived last season we didn’t always get the results but the styles of football was immediately better. We are getting in players who fit his approach treated than just buying at random anyone who might be good; they have to fit with what he is trying to achieve. I just hope we can keep hold of him for a couple of years at least.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:34 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:35 am
Denny61 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:11 pm
I think we are getting too excited by a team who are only made look good on odd day by very bad teams..we jst have not got that higher quality bunch of individuals to overcoming the other tougher teams...it could be a long season yet
Are you ever positive ?
I think we have a pretty good squad who are playing well under an excellent but inexperienced manager. I agree we haven’t played a good side yet, but we have played some of the typical bully-boy league 1 sides and done well. When we play a decent footballing side I think we will play better; you can only play if you’re allowed to play.
I don’t know how the season will go from here, but it’s the best start on record I believe. The next few games might give us a better indication of where we are. Possibly a bit too early to be overconfident, but I’m happy to enjoy the moment and hope it continues. Two points off third, four points off fourth and six points off seventh, top of the league after 7 unbeaten games is pretty well all we could dream of.
P.S. congratulations BM!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:56 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:57 am
Did anybody think the referee yesterday was shocking. At first I thought it was ok because he was letting niggling tackled go to keep play moving, but by the time we got to the second half I’m amazed none of the players were seriously injured.

I’ve not seen the highlights but in live play the corner we were given that led to the goal liked like it should have been a goal kick ?

Whilst talking of corners we look so more threatening when we have Lee Evans taking them, he certainly adds a new dimension to the team when he plays.
Referee was indeed poor. Unfortunately it's happening every week. 😕

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:14 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:20 am
Celtic got a 4 - 0 win in the Glasgow derby
The "Glasgow derby" is Rangers v Queens Park. (Celtic founded 1888) ------>> Old Firm, Saint. You should know that.

You got the 1/2 & 1/2 scarf ready for Tuesday?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:24 pm

Video taken by a neutral at the game .. he’s just posted it on twtd so thought I’d nick it for here 👍

https://youtu.be/jJBgVVhUDac

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:14 pm
arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:20 am
Celtic got a 4 - 0 win in the Glasgow derby
The "Glasgow derby" is Rangers v Queens Park. (Celtic founded 1888) ------>> Old Firm, Saint. You should know that.

You got the 1/2 & 1/2 scarf ready for Tuesday?
of course aware of it, just put a different spin on it.

Should be a dandy, Bhoys can beat any team on the face of the earth at Parkhead, such is the intimidation of the arena and you're going up against the greatest side in the history of domestic club competition. Whoever wins, whoever loses, it'll be a bonus.

Ajax / Rangers should be some game in Amsterdam next week. Scots "football" was the punchline of jokes for years, but it's been eradicated in the fact that teams north of the border actually have been - and do - perform admirably on the continental scene.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:38 am

Wouldn’t put too much of “a spin” on it up here…… Celtic fans hate that. :lol:

Celtic & Rangers aside ——>> there is fk all admirable about Scottish football …… although it is an acquired taste and can be entertaining from an “old school” perspective.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:38 am
Wouldn’t put too much of “a spin” on it up here…… Celtic fans hate that. :lol:

Celtic & Rangers aside ——>> there is fk all admirable about Scottish football …… although it is an acquired taste and can be entertaining from an “old school” perspective.
:lol:
How's Penney doing??

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:45 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:03 pm
How's Penney doing??
Just checked. Played two games…….. did ok apparently. Finished mid range in the teams players ratings. Manager likes his pace down the left wing and crosses well…… said the half time deep fried Mars Bars are helping the lad.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:46 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:36 am
hallamblue wrote:
Indeed. Off Burns!
Just noticed that Chaplin has been officially awarded the second goal by the Dubious Goals panel. That was Burns' goal until then. BBC Sport have now changed it.

I think we could work this delayed scorer change in the prediction league here if that was an issue - but how does that work with bookies where money is concerned? If you'd put money on Burns scoring and the bookie had paid up - can the bookie get the money back?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:52 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:46 pm
TODD66 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:36 am
hallamblue wrote:

Indeed. Off Burns!
Just noticed that Chaplin has been officially awarded the second goal by the Dubious Goals panel. That was Burns' goal until then. BBC Sport have now changed it.

I think we could work this delayed scorer change in the prediction league here if that was an issue - but how does that work with bookies where money is concerned? If you'd put money on Burns scoring and the bookie had paid up - can the bookie get the money back?
I can just see punters going back with their winning . :lol: