Town home form.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

Re: Town home form.

Post by rossi » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:55 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:39 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:16 pm
https://www.google.com/search?q=portman ... ribution=1

It's actually 82 yards wide. :x

If that’s still up to date info that’s 75m which is the joint equal widest pitch in League 1 and probably one of the widest in England .
But it's not though - the plans recently submitted for the ground redevelopment state the playing surface is currently 66m and will not change when it is lengthened.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:15 pm

It would appear to me Rossi that over the past 40 years the pitch width at Portman Road has been reduced, probably quite significantly if it’s only currently 102m x 66m wide. TWTD suggests that the new pitch will be 106m x 66m which would make it 1m longer and 2m narrower than the standard 105m x 68m adopted by most Premier League Clubs. This would make our playing surface 150m2 less than the average. I guess the question is, is this enough to change the way we play, and if it does surely it should give us an advantage playing half our games there compared with our opponents who visit once a season.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:53 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:15 pm
It would appear to me Rossi that over the past 40 years the pitch width at Portman Road has been reduced, probably quite significantly if it’s only currently 102m x 66m wide. TWTD suggests that the new pitch will be 106m x 66m which would make it 1m longer and 2m narrower than the standard 105m x 68m adopted by most Premier League Clubs. This would make our playing surface 150m2 less than the average. I guess the question is, is this enough to change the way we play, and if it does surely it should give us an advantage playing half our games there compared with our opponents who visit once a season.
The info from TWTD was supplied directly from the planning applications, so we are fairly safe in assuming that the playing surface measurements as stated are actually correct.

Kind of bears out my original comment that our playing surface is on the narrower side of normal and therefore might lend itself to a more direct approach. And home advantage - as well as the issue of having the crowd behind you - is all about knowing every inch and characteristic of the playing surface and using that knowledge to your advantage

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:45 pm

It's always been among the narrowest for as long as I can remember. I can remember reading it was the narrowest in the Premiership back in the 90s and not much has changed in that regard I'm sure.

You could argue that a narrow pitch would lead to less emphasis on wide men, as they'd have less space to work in and get in crosses. On the flip side of that you could argue they are more important so to stretch defences the full width and allow space to manoeuvre in the centre.