VAR

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cabanas Blue

VAR

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:50 pm

After this weekend what are people's thoughts on VAR, I've never been convinced it is still a person's opinion and stops the game and mistakes are still made, we all know the referee makes wrong decisions but hopefully they even themselves out.

arana peligrosa

Re: VAR

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:49 pm

It denied West Ham a goal at the weekend, hell I'd be in favor of the thing on that alone but looking at the bigger picture it seems to cause more issues than problems it would hope to resolve.

Thought the game was fine enough before it were implemented, now it entails waiting around for analysis and calls from multiple areas before a decision is made. Tradition is, you have one referee in the middle to arbitrate matters with assistance from available linesmen. What they've introduced in recent time has thrown the game into a minor disarray.

The PGMOL has since admitted they got things wrong at the weekend, which was big of them but as before it's invariably going to cause more hindrance then help to teams involved (particularly those) on the wrong end of decision.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:48 am

Keeping the conversation on VAR……, MASSIVE decision in the AFL season play-offs last Thursday. Goal umpire awarded a goal to Tom Lynch for the Tigers, but field umpire wanted it looked at.
(And this is where i’ll tie this to VAR)
It was deemed inconclusive. BUT…… the field ump overturned their decision and said “NO GOAL”. And it was based on Tom Lynch not really celebrating his shot on goal. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I’m 100% with Tigers coach on this……… if VAR can be “inconclusive”, then “bloody bin it & stick with field umpires”
He goes on to complain about TV evidence being inconclusive in this day & age. Again, i agree.
And he offered a GREAT solution.
Laser action of the ball……. Like golf. 👍
SORTED!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:03 am

It's pathetic, it doesn't work because those who make the rules to implement it are pure idiots.

Tennis? Fine. Cricket? Fine. Why? Because the team or player has an appeal or two and if they use it recklessly then they lose it. Bring that in to football, each team gets one appeal and lose it if they make a poor appeal or use it for time wasting. Simple.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:38 am

Both above ^^^^ 👍

1. Stop confronting officials
2. Stop time wasting

Both incredibly EASY to remedy. Other sports do it with ease.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:40 am

It's the biggest load of bollocks ever to arrive in the game of football, you can't have it in some leagues and not others, it's a joke, if it was done properly across the board as it should be We'd have beaten Barnsley, total bullshit farce.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:44 am

Seems to me that in principle VAR is a good thing, especially in a situation like the HOG incident with Maradona.
But it's not being used as intended, actually it's being spoiled by the people monitoring it who seem to be just as power mad as some referees.
But I think we still need it - the standard of refereeing can sometimes leave a lot to be desired, but in my opinion the main problem is with the total incompetence of line officials across all divisions.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:47 am

I was told we can't use the ref as excuses when we have a decision go against us that costs us a win, like Barnsley, so sadly, following that theme, "f*ck the hand of god" tough sh*t England, you should have scored more goals yourselves, I think that was what was said after the Barnsley fiasco. :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:50 am

I loved how KMcK almost referred to Barnsley again in his post Stanley match presser :lol:
That really hit a nerve with him.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:27 am

It was also brought in to stop awful decisions, not make perfect decisions like when a player has a toenail off side. It was meant to stop Lampard style c*ck ups, too sensitive at the moment. It has me wound up now :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:34 am

On a serious note, for me it's killing the game where I am concerned, I hate watching the Premier league sh*te.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:59 am

Totally agree with you. Give linesmen their job back again (they seem to have no roll in games anymore 🤷‍♀️) and the ref to make the decision in tandem with the linesman. If they get it wrong they get it wrong but it’ll be in real time with the gsme snd spontaneous .

VAR is crap 💩

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:59 am
Totally agree with you. Give linesmen their job back again (they seem to have no roll in games anymore 🤷‍♀️) and the ref to make the decision in tandem with the linesman. If they get it wrong they get it wrong but it’ll be in real time with the gsme snd spontaneous .

VAR is crap 💩
Agree I also think more could be done training ex players for example as referees.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:37 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:31 am
Has anyone tried reffing a match? It's bloody difficult.
Balls.

Have not reffed......, but did "lino" duties for when my son was in the U13's at Penicuik. They were playing down in Prestonpans...., (famous battles and all that)......., a grandad on the opposite touchline shouted, "OI LINO, YER FKN BLIND, MAN!" :lol:

Absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that it is a tough job......., especially in front several thousand Rangers fans when they're being pumped 3-0 @ HT....., but it's not unreasonable to expect a level of competence. The German & Italian refs seems to be miles better than British refs. Certainly Willie Collum up here. There is no one worse.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:24 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:08 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:37 pm
BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:31 am
Has anyone tried reffing a match? It's bloody difficult.
Balls.

Have not reffed......, but did "lino" duties for when my son was in the U13's at Penicuik. They were playing down in Prestonpans...., (famous battles and all that)......., a grandad on the opposite touchline shouted, "OI LINO, YER FKN BLIND, MAN!" :lol:

Absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that it is a tough job......., especially in front several thousand Rangers fans when they're being pumped 3-0 @ HT....., but it's not unreasonable to expect a level of competence. The German & Italian refs seems to be miles better than British refs. Certainly Willie Collum up here. There is no one worse.
That sums it up. Why would anyone think that is appropriate at an U13 match?..... il tell you why, because they see it week in week out on Sky Sports.

I too am involved in junior teams and we've got 10 and 12 year olds thinking they can mouth off at officials.

Poor performance of officials needs dealing with like any other job (more training, sanctions to lower league games etc), but players/crowds/managers should not be policing it.
Don't be mistaken....., I was never "involved" :lol: ......, that particular day, the dad who usually did this was ill. Coach Colin said, "Hey Mark, Linesman duties by any chance?"
The one & ONLY time......, way too stressful. Every decision I made upset someone. Borderline impossible job.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:26 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:16 pm
The biggest joke of VAR to me is when they send it back to the ref to watch on the monitor! Make a bloody decision!
And yep......, during the mens euros in '21, one particular game was getting farcical and the ref made that "Give us a clue" TV signal......, switched over to Wheeler Dealers.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:59 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:16 pm
The biggest joke of VAR to me is when they send it back to the ref to watch on the monitor! Make a bloody decision!
Exactly !!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:54 pm

Ever seen a 20st professional number 8 rugby player, the type who could knock out a ref with a stare? Ever seen them mouth off at a ref?

Thought not. Football is broken.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:01 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:47 am
I was told we can't use the ref as excuses when we have a decision go against us that costs us a win, like Barnsley, so sadly, following that theme, "f*ck the hand of god" tough sh*t England, you should have scored more goals yourselves, I think that was what was said after the Barnsley fiasco. :wink:
You cannot compare the 2 situations - the decision that 'cost us a win' was a poor decision, the HOG was blatant cheating. VAR ought to be concentrating on cheating (deliberate handball, wrestling, shirt pulling etc - that's where it's really needed

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:23 pm

To me the way the Barnsley defender threw himself to the ground was indeed blatant cheating, in fact they did it all game.