Marcus Stewart

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Marcus Stewart

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:06 pm

Has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. Terrible news for him and his family and no doubt all Town fans will be thinking of them at this time.

Cabanas Blue

Re: Marcus Stewart

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:23 pm

That's terrible and only 49 years so sorry for him and his family.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:25 pm

Very sad.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:41 pm

Just when you think things could get no worse this sad news pops in, obviously my thoughts are with him and his family. Sadly this disease is happening a little more frequently now or it is getting more publicity.

I always remember him signing the back of my shirt when I saw Town play at Ashton gate, brilliant striker and player.

Cannot say a lot else, bit stumped for words.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:56 pm

Just like to echo everything above that's been said above. Marcus truly is a great person and was a terrific goal scorer and whole round player

Thoughts goes out to Marcus and all his family and friends

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:09 pm

This is really sad news. Thoughts go out to him & his family.

There is masses of research out there linking MND with footballers but was of the understanding that it was more linked with defenders, ie, Fernando Ricksen etc. Unusual hearing a striker getting it, other than it maybe being genetic and nothing to do with his playing career.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:29 pm

A sad day continues to get sadder. Best wishes and strength to you and your family Marcus.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:35 pm

Terrible news and so young, it's a evil disease

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:25 am

This is devastating news for him and his family. We had a friend who was diagnosed at a similar age and it wasn’t a good outcome, and for most people this is a severely life shortening condition.

My thoughts are with him and his family and I wish them all well in the battle that lies ahead.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:30 pm

This news makes me so sad and angry. As a fellow Bristolian I had tracked his movements before and after his time at Ipswich. Always an extremely down to earth decent bloke, in a career where overinflated egos are hard to avoid.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:32 pm

Wish Stewart every aspect of recovery and best to the family, however believe the particular illness has little to no real cure. Another degenerative disease that eats away at any one persons faculties. A good family man beside what he did for us, just doesn't deserve this put his way. Guess you can only hope for the best as with if not all cases of this one affliction.

Without Stewart's contribution it's largely unlikely the team would have gained a promotion in 2000, not only that making a name for itself in the year after EPL season, fifth place and all. (League Cup semi-final also if you wish to include it) One of the most pivotal players we had at that time. Still believe even now he may have moved on a little too early after what went before.