All games cancelled

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

User avatar
BLUEBLOOD
Posts: 2571
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:43 pm

All games cancelled

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am

Premier league and efl game have been cancelled as a mark of respect to the passing of her majesty Queen Elizabeth 2nd .

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 15725
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:33 pm

Absolutely the correct thing to do albeit disappointing. God bless you your Majesty. Not sure what the funeral arrangements are, just hope it’s not a Saturday State Funeral or that will be another weekend without any footie. Weekends without football simply aren’t the same, but then I guess that’s the whole point of it.

BlueBalls
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by BlueBalls » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:46 pm

Completely disagree.

All grassroots football cancelled resulting in kids who would be playing now sitting on their arses instead of getting exercise.... etc etc across all sports nationwide, all weekend. Do we think the Queen would want that? I doubt it.

How does cancelling everything show respect? Much better would have been all games singing the national anthem and lifting the roof off after a minutes silence or applause.

I am genuinely saddened by her passing and have nothing but respect for her, but this is completely the wrong decision.

We are going into some sort of pseudo-lockdown. Again. Funny how I'm still expected to turn into work, but can't do many leisure activities.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21322
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:06 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:46 pm
Completely disagree.

All grassroots football cancelled resulting in kids who would be playing now sitting on their arses instead of getting exercise.... etc etc across all sports nationwide, all weekend. Do we think the Queen would want that? I doubt it.

How does cancelling everything show respect? Much better would have been all games singing the national anthem and lifting the roof off after a minutes silence or applause.

I am genuinely saddened by her passing and have nothing but respect for her, but this is completely the wrong decision.

We are going into some sort of pseudo-lockdown. Again. Funny how I'm still expected to turn into work, but can't do many leisure activities.
Think closing everything down would be more crippling than the pandemic, but get your point. My cuz was supposed to be on strike today with Royal Mail…… but cancelled ——>> back to work.

On the sport, and the Commonwealth etc……. Currently on Australia 3AW radio; AFL Play-Offs, Melbourne v Brisbane Lions……. No cancellation, just masses of respect pre kick off.
The UK always do things a tad OTT.

valleyroad
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by valleyroad » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:13 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:33 pm
Absolutely the correct thing to do albeit disappointing. God bless you your Majesty. Not sure what the funeral arrangements are, just hope it’s not a Saturday State Funeral or that will be another weekend without any footie. Weekends without football simply aren’t the same, but then I guess that’s the whole point of it.
Got to disagree
A minutes silence would have been more than sufficient.

Funeral likely to be next Sunday are we going to cancel all games next weekend ?

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21322
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:13 pm
A minutes silence would have been more than sufficient.
100%

Cabanas Blue
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:06 am

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:33 pm

I'm sure she would not want the Horse Racing cancelled.

BlueBalls
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by BlueBalls » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:14 pm

"Sunday's Great North Run will go ahead as planned, with organisers saying it is "an opportunity to come together and express our condolences while celebrating the life of our extraordinary Queen"

Good to see some common sense!

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26156
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:19 pm

There is no common sense in the world of football.

Andym
Posts: 4985
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Andym » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:22 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:06 pm
The UK always do things a tad OTT.
I know I’m always on about it, but it’s all the fault of the media. They tell people what to think. Wall to wall TV of wheeling out anyone barely recognisable to say nothing sensible. The embarrassing scenes of them all trying to fill time because nothing is happening and there’s nothing new to report. But they have to do it otherwise the Daily Mail would be ripping into them again. I despise the printed press. And we always go over the top on T V when someone dies. It started really with Diana. She was not very well liked, and in some peoples eyes a bit of a laughing stock s she moved from shag to shag. A tragic death (with the paparazzi and press largely responsible by hounding her) but the sudden outcry of emotion and elevation to hero status was instigated by the over the top reporting.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 15725
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:47 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:14 pm
"Sunday's Great North Run will go ahead as planned, with organisers saying it is "an opportunity to come together and express our condolences while celebrating the life of our extraordinary Queen"

Good to see some common sense!

I’m guessing it’s much easier to rearrange a postponed football match than it is the Great North Run. As with all decisions some will agree with it whilst others won’t, that’s the same the world over.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21322
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:48 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:22 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:06 pm
The UK always do things a tad OTT.
I know I’m always on about it, but it’s all the fault of the media. They tell people what to think. Wall to wall TV of wheeling out anyone barely recognisable to say nothing sensible. The embarrassing scenes of them all trying to fill time because nothing is happening and there’s nothing new to report. But they have to do it otherwise the Daily Mail would be ripping into them again. I despise the printed press. And we always go over the top on T V when someone dies. It started really with Diana. She was not very well liked, and in some peoples eyes a bit of a laughing stock s she moved from shag to shag. A tragic death (with the paparazzi and press largely responsible by hounding her) but the sudden outcry of emotion and elevation to hero status was instigated by the over the top reporting.
Ok, step away from the George Orwell books, Andy! :lol:

I do get what you're saying......, it's bordering scandalous how the world's press works and it's constant stirring of the pot is why our society is as overreactive as it is.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21322
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Here we go....., look at this. Don't have to watch it all....., but here is how it should be done. Respect paid.



https://www.afl.com.au/video/839535/hig ... 2728739001





Then game goes ahead.

User avatar
arana peligrosa
Posts: 9761
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:03 pm

They made a good call, it's only one round of games. People aren't going to miss one weekend of action.

It's about a monumental occasion, paying tribute and respect to a figure of immense stature and recognition. If we or anyone else has to do without game action for one time only, then fine, it's not an issue. You got to see the bigger picture with this.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21322
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:09 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:03 pm
They made a good call, it's only one round of games. People aren't going to miss one weekend of action.

It's about a monumental occasion, paying tribute and respect to a figure of immense stature and recognition. If we or anyone else has to do without game action for one time only, then fine, it's not an issue. You got to see the bigger picture with this.
It's all about respect today, Saint, true ------>> but with all due respect ----->> utter garbage.

Well done Great North Run organisers. That is deserving of a standing ovation.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21322
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:11 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:55 pm
Here we go....., look at this. Don't have to watch it all....., but here is how it should be done. Respect paid.



https://www.afl.com.au/video/839535/hig ... 2728739001





Then game goes ahead.
RE- POSTED......, thats all that needed to happen at games over this weekend.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26156
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:22 pm

Thinking about it, as I'm in Croatia, bloody good call to cancel Saturdays games, I think Tuesday's are a bit too soon to play also, call them off (I fly home that day) 🤣

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 15725
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:27 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:11 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:55 pm
Here we go....., look at this. Don't have to watch it all....., but here is how it should be done. Respect paid.



https://www.afl.com.au/video/839535/hig ... 2728739001





Then game goes ahead.
RE- POSTED......, thats all that needed to happen at games over this weekend.

That will probably still happen Marko when the next round of games are played.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 15725
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:30 pm

I thought Sovereignty included having a monarchy with a sovereign king or queen as the Head of State which is what the British people voted for. Surely when that Head of State dies it’s not OTT to have a period of morning for people and organisations to show their respect, most especially for a Queen who served our country as exceptionally well as Queen Elizabeth did.

Personally I could argue the case either way and I’m quite ambivalent about it, however for the British people who love to shout out about being different and love waving their Union Jacks at every opportunity I think this is the right thing to do.

Whether or not this needs to go down to kids playing football on Saturday afternoon in the park, that’s a separate argument.

valleyroad
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by valleyroad » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:30 pm
I thought Sovereignty included having a monarchy with a sovereign king or queen as the Head of State which is what the British people voted for. Surely when that Head of State dies it’s not OTT to have a period of morning for people and organisations to show their respect, most especially for a Queen who served our country as exceptionally well as Queen Elizabeth did.

Personally I could argue the case either way and I’m quite ambivalent about it, however for the British people who love to shout out about being different and love waving their Union Jacks at every opportunity I think this is the right thing to do.

Whether or not this needs to go down to kids playing football on Saturday afternoon in the park, that’s a separate argument.
Can't remember getting a vote on that.
Up here in Scotland I can 100% guarantee you we would not vote for that.

User avatar
Earl Blue
Posts: 27504
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:33 pm
Location: Blighty
Contact:

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Earl Blue » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:36 pm

I would like to add my tuppence worth..

Firstly, I am as the majority of this country will be devastated that our Queen has died. May she rest in Peace.

With regards to the cancellation of football games where the Mass would have been able to celebrate her life
by singing the Anthem, Clapping hands in appreciation of her service and/or having a silence before the
game, I feel we have been deprived of this which would have been a great opportunity for a huge collection of people
all over the country in their individual stadiums.

So what do we all do now.. Sit around moping in our own homes, the best solution has been taken away from us. Of course we will all do our own
thing but not being able to stand proud and join in has gone.

Secondly..

The workers are expected to continue their jobs as the Queen would have wanted us to.. What do footballers do on a Saturday,
THEIR JOB, what is the difference?..

I have no intention to try and fathom out sense here because I can listen to everyone's opinions and am expected
to respect them (which I do even if I do not agree). I have said mine and feel at peace doing so.

Rest in Peace your Majesty.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21322
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:11 pm

Devastation must be like the football league and be in some kind of a tier system. I was proper devastated last October when my son Scotty got diagnosed with the brain tumour. Thought my life was over. Was way lesser devastated (but still devastated all the same) when Gilmore Cat was run over in 2012, (the human being in a cats body!)
"Devastated" about the Queen dying? Got to be Football Conference level of devastation, no? Anyone, (other than the Royal Family themselves) who is actually proper devastated at the Queen dying probably hasn't experienced proper grief before.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26156
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:15 pm

Absolutely bang on those last Two excellent posts

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Ricco » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:14 pm

Yes, absolutely, it's sad international news that I'm not down playing, but she was 96 for goodness sake, I'm not sure there is much shock and devastation for those of us who didn't know her personally. I'm 1000x more hurt by the news of Marcus Stewart's situation, cancelling football unless on her funeral day was a poor decision in my opinion.

Andym
Posts: 4985
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Andym » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:31 pm

Have to agree with the above 4 posts. Keep it in proportion.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 15725
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:10 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:30 pm
I thought Sovereignty included having a monarchy with a sovereign king or queen as the Head of State which is what the British people voted for. Surely when that Head of State dies it’s not OTT to have a period of morning for people and organisations to show their respect, most especially for a Queen who served our country as exceptionally well as Queen Elizabeth did.

Personally I could argue the case either way and I’m quite ambivalent about it, however for the British people who love to shout out about being different and love waving their Union Jacks at every opportunity I think this is the right thing to do.

Whether or not this needs to go down to kids playing football on Saturday afternoon in the park, that’s a separate argument.
Can't remember getting a vote on that.
Up here in Scotland I can 100% guarantee you we would not vote for that.

There was of course an element of mischievousness in my comment VR, but hey, you guys North if the Border have had your Independence vote which could have included a break with the Monarchy so don’t say you haven’t had a chance to make a break. As best I recall even those Scots wanting independence were undecided on whether or not to keep The UK Monarch as Scotland’s Head of State, although most polls suggested the majority preferred to keep The Monarch by a very clear margin.

mendipblue
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by mendipblue » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 pm

The cancellation of football and other events this weekend is not in keeping of what the Queen would of wanted. She was a Queen of the people and would not of wanted her death to impact on her subjects. The people who have made these decisions are totally out of touch with the general public. There should of been thousands of people up and down the country saying rest in peace and goodbye unfortunately we have been robbed of that. Well done Premier League who has lead this you got it wrong....AGAIN

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21322
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: All games cancelled

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:37 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:10 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:30 pm
I thought Sovereignty included having a monarchy with a sovereign king or queen as the Head of State which is what the British people voted for. Surely when that Head of State dies it’s not OTT to have a period of morning for people and organisations to show their respect, most especially for a Queen who served our country as exceptionally well as Queen Elizabeth did.

Personally I could argue the case either way and I’m quite ambivalent about it, however for the British people who love to shout out about being different and love waving their Union Jacks at every opportunity I think this is the right thing to do.

Whether or not this needs to go down to kids playing football on Saturday afternoon in the park, that’s a separate argument.
Can't remember getting a vote on that.
Up here in Scotland I can 100% guarantee you we would not vote for that.

There was of course an element of mischievousness in my comment VR, but hey, you guys North if the Border have had your Independence vote which could have included a break with the Monarchy so don’t say you haven’t had a chance to make a break. As best I recall even those Scots wanting independence were undecided on whether or not to keep The UK Monarch as Scotland’s Head of State, although most polls suggested the majority preferred to keep The Monarch by a very clear margin.
As i recall, it was 55/45 and of the 55% no voters, the vast majority wanted the monarchy.

Of the 45 yes voters, it was almost unanimous that they wanted it binned.

This from Strathclyde Uni Prof:
—————-
Quote:
He added: “It is clear the support for the monarchy amongst Scots in general is more popular than support for a republic.
But that is not true amongst Yes supporters.”
End quote.

So…….. you may both be correct. The 10% swing majority of Scots voted stay and stay with monarchy……. But of the 45 (which is what i reckon VR alludes to) would not have.

And to be honest…….. in a 100% non confrontational way, you cannot really say the words, “you had your chance” to any one person when it comes to these things. The person you’re directing it at may have indeed took his chance, but was let down. 🤷‍♂️
Essentially and ultimately correct; Scotland as a whole, DID have their chance……. but a tad over half didn’t take it.

But its about everything Queen related. RIP Her Majesty and a belated one for Freddie.

valleyroad
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by valleyroad » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:37 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:10 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:30 pm
I thought Sovereignty included having a monarchy with a sovereign king or queen as the Head of State which is what the British people voted for. Surely when that Head of State dies it’s not OTT to have a period of morning for people and organisations to show their respect, most especially for a Queen who served our country as exceptionally well as Queen Elizabeth did.

Personally I could argue the case either way and I’m quite ambivalent about it, however for the British people who love to shout out about being different and love waving their Union Jacks at every opportunity I think this is the right thing to do.

Whether or not this needs to go down to kids playing football on Saturday afternoon in the park, that’s a separate argument.
Can't remember getting a vote on that.
Up here in Scotland I can 100% guarantee you we would not vote for that.

There was of course an element of mischievousness in my comment VR, but hey, you guys North if the Border have had your Independence vote which could have included a break with the Monarchy so don’t say you haven’t had a chance to make a break. As best I recall even those Scots wanting independence were undecided on whether or not to keep The UK Monarch as Scotland’s Head of State, although most polls suggested the majority preferred to keep The Monarch by a very clear margin.
With the Queen gone that Monarchy clear margin might be not so clear ?
https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics ... ath-queen/
Interesting to see how the monarchy in Britain holds ups over the next decade.
Last edited by valleyroad on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valleyroad
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: All games cancelled

Post by valleyroad » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:39 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... xt-weekend

With the WC in November I think football have made the wrong decision here. Other sports seem to have made a better call on it.
Having said that I wouldn't like to have been in the room making that call.

Post Reply