League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Bristol Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we take the 3 points under lights?

Town Win
91%
Rovers Win
No votes
Draw
9%

Total votes: 11

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Bristol Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:27 pm

It’s the square ( slow!) pass across the top of our 18 yard area that’s the killer , usually played by Woolfie . Better teams will pick us off . We’ll see Saturday won’t we .

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:31 pm

I see both sides of the argument. We controlled the game for nearly all of the match. But at 1-0 they hit the post and looked dangerous for a 10 minute spell at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half. If they had scored when they hit the post it would have been a different game.
Having said that, we came close to scoring 2 or 3 in the first few minutes, and as Blue Wilf says, we will score a hatful in a game somewhere along the line. Certainly deserved the win.
I haven’t seen any highlights but I thought the second red was a bit harsh as it didn’t look deliberate from where I was. He caught him and was the last defender so i can see why it was given, but it didn’t look like an intentional foul to me.

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:50 pm

They hit the post from a worldie shot and Christian Walton made couple of excellent saves. The first save Matt Holland suggested he thought it was going wide. Walton couldn't take that chance and he saved it

Thing is no matter who we play and how well we play teams will always have half chances or whatever. Its the nature of the sport we played damn well tonight. Excellent and thoroughly deserved to win. For me even if Rovers scored I still feel confident we would of scored again and won. Who knows

That's two wins in September and yes next few games will show. I bet Sheff Wednesday are not over confident and totally looking forward to playing us.. Last season we did not do well against the promoted clubs, lets keep our feet on the ground but also be happy with results and how we are playing

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:16 am

Il take 5 points from our nxt 3 games ..we are going to lose a few games in the season .so I'd prefer to lose them now than at the business end .as we will know where our weakness will be by been exposed by the better teams .and tighten up..

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:01 am

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:51 pm
I feel Town cause there own problems at times giving away possession with a sloppy pass. Davies worst culprit again. Also he caused the incident for Burgess. If Town get sloppy against the so called better teams they will get punished.
I thought Leif had his best game for us yet! He has phenomenal pace, won us a free kick in the very first minute, provided a number of assists for shots on goal and was very quick to get back on one occasion to prevent a cross coming into the box from a quick Rovers break! Cannot comment on the lead up to the Burgess injury, however it does seem you are making him into a bit of a scapegoat! OK, his first game was poor, having just arrived back from Australia with Leeds recently, and there were a few shaky moments initially over the first games. Yes Greg Leigh is an equally capable LB and herein may be your problem perhaps?
Davis is starting to prove himself miles ahead of the likes of Penney, Coulson, Dominic Thompson, Kenlock. I have no major issue with people critiquing a player, except when every single game it seems the same player is the target.

I ask this in all seriousness; Will you give praise where praise is due when Davis has a good game in your eyes?

Personally the fact that KM consistently puts trust in Leif, when he has got a very able replacement in Greg Leigh speaks volumes of how well he is performing! Yes any player has a mistake in them, but the bigger picture is their positive input, and my view is that he terrified their RB at times!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:05 am

Won't get this time back but watched the second dismissal three times and can't see it as a sending off offense. Just appeared minimal contact and one of ours went over. Maybe it were a legitimate foul, chalk it up to poor highlight coverage. The first red card were justified, player already on a caution and clear obstruction, there can be little dispute.

Don't know who maintains the field but the grass looked immaculate, just about perfect surface on which to play on. Chaplin goal was fine, instinctive turn and shot that found it's way in although the Evans shot could have been kept out maybe. Dismayed to learn McKenna started with only one in attack, it worked for us today but the emphasis for games of this nature should be to implement at least two forwards from start of play.

The fine start continues, maybe Bristol didn't offer much but all teams in this league are there to be beaten. We showed character, determination etc and got a win the opposition can't dispute. 22,000 is a commendable figure for a midweek night game maybe played under rain but we're top of a league and playing some of the best stuff in years. It's a shame the other top six contenders all seem to get victories. Guess all you can do is win your own games and not worry too much about the rest of the competition.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:15 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:01 am
mendipblue wrote:
I feel Town cause there own problems at times giving away possession with a sloppy pass. Davies worst culprit again. Also he caused the incident for Burgess. If Town get sloppy against the so called better teams they will get punished.
I thought Leif had his best game for us yet! He has phenomenal pace, won us a free kick in the very first minute, provided a number of assists for shots on goal and was very quick to get back on one occasion to prevent a cross coming into the box from a quick Rovers break! Cannot comment on the lead up to the Burgess injury, however it does seem you are making him into a bit of a scapegoat! OK, his first game was poor, having just arrived back from Australia with Leeds recently, and there were a few shaky moments initially over the first games. Yes Greg Leigh is an equally capable LB and herein may be your problem perhaps?
Davis is starting to prove himself miles ahead of the likes of Penney, Coulson, Dominic Thompson, Kenlock. I have no major issue with people critiquing a player, except when every single game it seems the same player is the target.

I ask this in all seriousness; Will you give praise where praise is due when Davis has a good game in your eyes?

Personally the fact that KM consistently puts trust in Leif, when he has got a very able replacement in Greg Leigh speaks volumes of how well he is performing! Yes any player has a mistake in them, but the bigger picture is their positive input, and my view is that he terrified their RB at times!
I didn't like the look of Davis first Two or Three games but he has improved immeasurably and was excellent last night, as was Lee Evans and conor Chaplin.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:01 am

mendipblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:00 pm
Their keeper saved a drubbing, 4 top saves, another off the post and one off the line, that's 7 without the other half decent efforts, aside from a couple of minutes just before HT they didn't threaten at all really.
Apart from when they hit the post and Walton produced 2 wonderful saves 1 in each half both at 1-0? I feel Town cause there own problems at times giving away possession with a sloppy pass. Davies worst culprit again. Also he caused the incident for Burgess. If Town get sloppy against the so called better teams they will get punished.
Christian Walton makes match saving saves almost every game and is key to our current success. Without those two wonderful saves you refer to Mike, last nights game could have been 2-2 and not 2-0, and two dropped points. That’s what had been happening before Walton came onboard.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:26 am

Was a good comprehensive performance and we fully deserved the win. Played some good stuff, and what was most pleasing to me was that we mixed things up a bit more than we have done so far - instead of constantly playing short we put some really good long balls in.

I thought all players last night (subs included) did well with one exception. Burns is beginning to worry me with his lack of form this season - personally I think his inclusion in a couple of Wales squads has swollen his head and maybe he thinks he doesnt have to work as hard at his game. Whatever the reason, I don't think he's worth an automatic place in every team and I hope that KMs rotation policy will extend to him, it certainly ought to.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:29 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:01 am
mendipblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:00 pm
Their keeper saved a drubbing, 4 top saves, another off the post and one off the line, that's 7 without the other half decent efforts, aside from a couple of minutes just before HT they didn't threaten at all really.
Apart from when they hit the post and Walton produced 2 wonderful saves 1 in each half both at 1-0? I feel Town cause there own problems at times giving away possession with a sloppy pass. Davies worst culprit again. Also he caused the incident for Burgess. If Town get sloppy against the so called better teams they will get punished.
Christian Walton makes match saving saves almost every game and is key to our current success. Without those two wonderful saves you refer to Mike, last nights game could have been 2-2 and not 2-0, and two dropped points. That’s what had been happening before Walton came onboard.
To counter that their Goalie made Five top saves so I'll take the 7-2 win all day long.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:27 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:26 am
Was a good comprehensive performance and we fully deserved the win. Played some good stuff, and what was most pleasing to me was that we mixed things up a bit more than we have done so far - instead of constantly playing short we put some really good long balls in.

I thought all players last night (subs included) did well with one exception. Burns is beginning to worry me with his lack of form this season - personally I think his inclusion in a couple of Wales squads has swollen his head and maybe he thinks he doesnt have to work as hard at his game. Whatever the reason, I don't think he's worth an automatic place in every team and I hope that KMs rotation policy will extend to him, it certainly ought to.
I agree Burns was quiet first half but thought he popped dup more in the 2nd half, but it was good Edwards got a little time off the bench and I'd not be disappointed if he made the odd start in some of the easier games. I did see Burns do some great tracking back at full speed though during that first half.

On another note, I think Town have conceded the fewest goals in all the leagues in England?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:46 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:01 am
mendipblue wrote:

If Leif Davies has a good game and does not give the ball away 5 to 10 times or does not play a team mate into trouble, I promise I will praise him.👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:40 pm

Burns is performing exactly how I envisaged he would . He’s not had a summer break , plus he’s a marked man now. It was notable how many of our attacks went down the left for a change.
Burns international call doesn’t fill me hope gif his club form tbh ….

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:10 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:46 am

If Leif Davies has a good game and does not give the ball away 5 to 10 times or does not play a team mate into trouble, I promise I will praise him.👍
I agree to some extent. I think he has improved and poses more of a threat going forward, but he does give the back away too often in dangerous situations.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:04 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:16 am
Il take 5 points from our nxt 3 games ..we are going to lose a few games in the season .so I'd prefer to lose them now than at the business end .as we will know where our weakness will be by been exposed by the better teams .and tighten up..
Yep, absolutely spot on, Denny.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:43 pm

To be honest I am not getting the Burns thing, yes his level has dropped from last season when he was on fire most weeks, scored a few goals, created loads, won POTS and forced his way into the Wales squad, without him we would have been even worse off. Having had no close season he was always going to have to play catch up which has been mentioned, but even this season he has created goals and got some assists so I think it is more a case of our expectation on him being high rather than his levels not being up to scratch.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:43 pm
To be honest I am not getting the Burns thing, yes his level has dropped from last season when he was on fire most weeks, scored a few goals, created loads, won POTS and forced his way into the Wales squad, without him we would have been even worse off. Having had no close season he was always going to have to play catch up which has been mentioned, but even this season he has created goals and got some assists so I think it is more a case of our expectation on him being high rather than his levels not being up to scratch.
I agree

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:43 pm
Agreed. Don't get the level of criticism. He's not as effective as last season, but he's putting a shift in. Everyone is contributing so far. Some more than others, but it's a team effort. Davis is actually getting better game by game so I think he needs a bit of slack cut.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:50 pm

I watched the whole game back again this morning and I have to say I knew Lee Evans was good on the night but watching on the screen again he was awesome, a superb performance, bossed the whole game all night. As another aside they should most definitely have had a Red card in the first half too for the deliberate stamp on Evans.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:50 pm
I watched the whole game back again this morning and I have to say I knew Lee Evans was good on the night but watching on the screen again he was awesome, a superb performance, bossed the whole game all night. As another aside they should most definitely have had a Red card in the first half too for the deliberate stamp on Evans.
Totally agree Mike. Said to mate, he was running the show Tuesday. His positioning, passing and a goal to boot, definitely MOTM!
This season he is rapidly becoming the influential player many of us predicted before a ball was kicked last season! With injuries and various he didn't quite reach the heights consistently enough last term! However, I think you'd have to argue that he is very hard to leave out of that starting 11 now!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:47 pm

He can't be left out on his performances so far, as you say he's finally showing what we all expected and to keep Ball out of the side is no mean feat either.