League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Biggest Test Of The Season Yet?

Owls Win
20%
Town Win
25%
Draw
55%

Total votes: 20

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:46 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:33 am
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:08 pm
But every week Gary ? Surely they can have a good day occasionally, and it's not just us that suffer, it's across the board.
I know it beggars belief, Mike, that people are being well paid to do a job and are failing to deliver - but it's happening consistently across all levels of referees and linesmen. I think the odd one will have the occasional good day, but there's too few really good officials and no consistency among the lesser ones. But you are right, all teams across the board will suffer from bad decisions over the course of a season. VAR is not the be0all and end-all, but if operated properly will prevent most of the really bad mistakes.
I’m sure a lot of the problem now is that linesmen don’t seem to take an “ active” part in games anymore. They seem to wait for the ref to make a decision, when the ref is always behind the play. Bloody useless officialdom these days. And players who cheat don’t help the situation;. But cheats always seem to prosper in society these days don’t they.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:59 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:46 pm
rossi wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:33 am
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:08 pm
But every week Gary ? Surely they can have a good day occasionally, and it's not just us that suffer, it's across the board.
I know it beggars belief, Mike, that people are being well paid to do a job and are failing to deliver - but it's happening consistently across all levels of referees and linesmen. I think the odd one will have the occasional good day, but there's too few really good officials and no consistency among the lesser ones. But you are right, all teams across the board will suffer from bad decisions over the course of a season. VAR is not the be0all and end-all, but if operated properly will prevent most of the really bad mistakes.
I’m sure a lot of the problem now is that linesmen don’t seem to take an “ active” part in games anymore. They seem to wait for the ref to make a decision, when the ref is always behind the play. Bloody useless officialdom these days. And players who cheat don’t help the situation;. But cheats always seem to prosper in society these days don’t they.
I'd say fitness levels of referees are at the highest they have ever been ?

"Bloody useless officialdom these days." is a phrase I hear every year since I followed football.
I remember Jack Mowatt who was Head of Refereeing in Scotland standing at referees conference in 1988 holding up papers from the last 4 decades saying words to that effect. It will never change.

Another thing is that players have always cheated and they always will. That will never change too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:11 pm

First player to throw himself to the floor, whether it be the first or ninetieth minute, Red card, simple, second player does it, Red card again, you will very soon stamp it out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:11 pm
First player to throw himself to the floor, whether it be the first or ninetieth minute, Red card, simple, second player does it, Red card again, you will very soon stamp it out.
Bingo!

And Valley……. Yes, you are right ; there’s always been cheating, IN SOCCER. Its in their interest to address it.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:11 pm
Aye try that in an Old Firm game.
You can referee that one 😁😁😁