Premier League: Scrapping FA Cup replays on agenda for 'New Deal for Football' meeting

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Premier League: Scrapping FA Cup replays on agenda for 'New Deal for Football' meeting

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:01 pm

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62965782

I think replays should be scrapped. I know it's great when small clubs earn a replay at their respective home grounds, but there are way too many matches outside of the league competitions. I've always felt that one of the cup competitions could be better utilized at the pre-season stage myself.

Thoughts...

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Premier League: Scrapping FA Cup replays on agenda for 'New Deal for Football' meeting

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:08 pm

My thoughts are EPL get out of the League Cup. League Cup for Championship, L1 & L2.

Papa Johns, Johnstone paints etc etc…… just ban it…….. or just let L2 and conf do it.

EPL do league, europe and FA CUP.

Regards FA CUP…….. everyone does it, including one replay.

Thats my thoughts on it 9.

I’d like the “shine” put back on the FA CUP. And if EPL don’t take it seriously, then thats no big deal. But i think they do….. as its ALWAYS an EPL side who win it.

KEEP REPLAYS, 9.

number 9

Re: Premier League: Scrapping FA Cup replays on agenda for 'New Deal for Football' meeting

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:22 pm

^^^

Have to admit the FA Cup is really the only one I care about. It is brilliant when a club like Forest Green gets a Chelsea or ManU for a replay at home. Agree on trimming down the other cups, for sure.

So, keep replays for the FA Cup and nix the other trophies!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:53 pm

You can only truly value the integrity of the competition if of a certain age. Once they started playing semi-finals at the National Stadium or featuring Finals in Cardiff of all places it just lost substantial value and interest.

Replays should always remain intact, it's how a number of small club names make revenue when taking on heavyweight opposition. The Football Association like to f*ck around with rules, regulations and tradition so often now, little seems new or reason to argue change.

Years back you could reel off games like Hereford/ Newcastle, Bournemouth / Manchester United, Sutton / Coventry, as real tangible "romance" / glamour events but in the time since it's just about dried up and lost it's appeal. It's a shame, but that's just the way it is.