League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Stay at the top of the table?

Plymouth Win
19%
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:43 pm

I’ll be honest, as nice a team as Plymouth are, I don’t think they’re anything special. Had we put away the 4 gilt edged chances we had in the first half the game would have been over and yet another sh*t decision by the ref for the day would have had little impact on us.

We don’t kill teams off when we’re so far on top.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:48 pm

What's worrying we have thrown away two leads against are so called rivals while conceding 4 goals. 🤔
Last edited by mendipblue on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:48 pm

This is the game ipswich wanted..playing against a good side. Plus Sheffield wed..we will learn nothing or know where our weaknesses are from playing the lower end of table..it can lead us in to a false sense of security. This game will give mckenna and Co a better insight in to how to better set up against better opposition and what players to utilise far better and maybe bring in a player or two after Christmas. I'd rather loose the odd game now to good competition and prepare rather than at the business end and no time to make changes .its not the end of the world. Good teams will always lose games..this will focus the players minds now ..we often see teams at the top at start only to fall away and drop down. We are a far better team and contain good quality players..plus we have a good manager..let's move on to Tuesday night. Get behind team and batter pompey..coyb

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:43 pm
I’ll be honest, as nice a team as Plymouth are, I don’t think they’re anything special. Had we put away the 4 gilt edged chances we had in the first half the game would have been over and yet another sh*t decision by the ref for the day would have had little impact on us.

I genuinely didn't see a decision by the ref that directly affected the result! Mumba should have been booked for a foul on Donacien and Chaplin tried to buy a free kick in the run up to their equaliser! Don't think I ever heard myself moaning about the ref during the rest of the game

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:02 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:32 pm
Disappointing result. I guess we had to lose sometime and no surprise really that it’s down there.

Anyway, good to have that fixture out of the way. We move on - upwards and onwards!
Thats true - at least all the teams near the top still have to come to PR...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:16 pm

We lost that game when Ladapo went off and man of the match Jackson was switched up front, oh and Edmundsons customary weekly f*ck up. Poor from McKenna today.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:16 pm
We lost that game when Ladapo went off and man of the match Jackson was switched up front, oh and Edmundsons customary weekly f*ck up. Poor from McKenna today.
Look at the bigger picture, since Ladapo went off the ball is not sticking up front. His hold up play was bringing others into the game and we are sorely missing that now

Glad I was not alone in seeing this! Those who slate him for chances missed (yes, granted, converted chances tend to win games) should look at the other things he brings to our game! I don't think we have another striker who holds the ball up like he does (obviously, not seen enough of Ahadme yet to form an opinion).
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:25 pm

Oh and let's be honest, we should have had 2 Red cards for nasty challenges so I don't think we can blame the ref for too much tbh.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:37 pm

Portsmouth at home next Saturday.....win and the garden is rosy again. Lose God forbid and questions will be asked. We definitely miss Burgess maybe Keogh instead Edmundson?
Adhadme instead of Ladapo, he has scored more goals for Burton who are poor than Ladapo has for us.🤷

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:03 pm

We can't win every game. And today we didn't deserve to win. Plymouth looked to want it far more than we did.

I agree that we made some horrendous tackles and were extremely lucky to finish the game with 11 men.

Both teams had periods of domination and periods under extreme pressure - had both teams taken their chances it would have been a high scoring game.

Biggest concern for me is for the second week running - and the second week against a decent team - we fail to hold on to a lead, that needs to be addressed.

For me, the game turned when Ladapo was substituted - poor decision by KM and somebody needs to tell him that just because you can make 5 substitutions it doesn't mean you have to.

One last thing, I thought that Jackson (whom I do not rate at all as a striker) offered far more to the team at WB than does Burns. Ok, so he's not the best defender in the world (but nor is Burns), but he's quicker, and better in the air.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:41 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:03 pm
We can't win every game. And today we didn't deserve to win. Plymouth looked to want it far more than we did.

I agree that we made some horrendous tackles and were extremely lucky to finish the game with 11 men.

Both teams had periods of domination and periods under extreme pressure - had both teams taken their chances it would have been a high scoring game.

Biggest concern for me is for the second week running - and the second week against a decent team - we fail to hold on to a lead, that needs to be addressed.

For me, the game turned when Ladapo was substituted - poor decision by KM and somebody needs to tell him that just because you can make 5 substitutions it doesn't mean you have to.

One last thing, I thought that Jackson (whom I do not rate at all as a striker) offered far more to the team at WB than does Burns. Ok, so he's not the best defender in the world (but nor is Burns), but he's quicker, and better in the air.
Agree with most of that. I would say, however, that although Jackson did well, his final ball is often played without looking so doesn’t find anyone in the box. Not made any easier by no one busting a gut to get in the box.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:52 pm

My feeling is that KMK has lost his attacking nerve a bit. The last 2 games we have set up a bit more defensively, with the no 10s not getting as far forward as regularly as before. The substitutions both weeks were more to do with hanging on than going for another.
It’s true that we gave it away trying to play it from the back. But that’s the way we play and generally it has worked well for us. The issue is that if we slip up once in every match, it’s the good teams like today that we get punished for it. However we didn’t play out from the back so much today. A lot more big clearances from the keeper.
I think we have performed well this season but the last 2 matches have shown there are others in this league at least as good as us if not better. We have to be at our best to compete in those games and to be honest we haven’t. Injuries and international call ups have weakened the squad if not the starting eleven.
I see comments on here that we didn’t take our chances but I don’t think we really had that many. As I said in a previous post Jackson put a couple of balls into the box that went right across goal but they weren’t aimed at anyone; I don’t call that a chance.
We were a nasty team today. Was it 4 or 5 yellows, can’t remember. Morsy has 4 now so he’s close to his first suspension I guess. I think those early yellows, entirely deserved, cost us as much as anything else. I think the ref was right with the equaliser. And yes, we gave away the second goal. But we had too many players who were unable to compete having got booked, mostly needlessly.
I’m not trying to moan - just trying to be objective. We are a good team, playing good football. But they were better than us today. Last week was pretty even. And then there’s still next week to come. We really could do with 3 points.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:00 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:49 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:43 pm

I genuinely didn't see a decision by the ref that directly affected the result! Mumba should have been booked for a foul on Donacien and Chaplin tried to buy a free kick in the run up to their equaliser! Don't think I ever heard myself moaning about the ref during the rest of the game
100% above.
Ipswich for me look like a side who will be well in the mix come the end of the season
Need to stop losing points from winning positions. 2 weeks in a row throwing away what would have been great wins.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:34 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:24 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Look at the bigger picture, since Ladapo went off the ball is not sticking up front. His hold up play was bringing others into the game and we are sorely missing that now

Glad I was not alone in seeing this! Those who slate him for chances missed (yes, granted, converted chances tend to win games) should look at the other things he brings to our game! I don't think we have another striker who holds the ball up like he does (obviously, not seen enough of Ahadme yet to form an opinion).

I would argue that we are missing Aluko ability to keep the ball up front . He’s a big miss in my view. Because not only does he keep the ball, he wins us free kicks.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:44 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I thought Chaplin was clearly fouled just prior to their equaliser AM. The Plymouth player went straight through the back of him and had no intention of going for the ball. I just don’t know what these refs don’t “ see” when it’s decisions that go against us, as most of them appear to do each week. Put it this way, had that challenge been by a Town player at the other end of the pitch that ref would have given a penalty in the blink of an eye!

Their left back should have been red carded for that foul on Donacian. Ref’s decisions? Absolutely nothing given. It’s one thing for refs to be inconsistent. It’s entirely another to be on the end of negative decisions EVERY week. It’s almost the reverse situation of refs always giving the likes of Liverpool , Man City etc the benefit of the doubt and decisions always going for them. It seems refs each week look to actively punish Town for some reason. I’m sick of seeing bad decisions costing us goals and points every week and we’re only 11 games or so into the season. It’s happening far too often for it to be a blip or one off.

We could almost have a poll each week …” which minute will the ref make that pivotal decision that changes the game against Town”?

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:23 pm

We lost today and its so interesting in reading people views.

I can't agree with Kieran McKenna not setting up attacking side. Look at the stats and also if we put away our very good chances we would of won, simple. 17 shots, 9 on target but I also have to say I like Freddie Ladapo but he has to improve his strike rate. He fluffed so many good chances, yes he scored but 9 times out of 10 that would of been cleared for a corner. Don't get on my back for I have said i do like and rate him but he has to improve on goals to chances ratio

Jackson has improved and worth his place on the field. Was quite unlucky with the 30 yard screamer yet he should know what's around him. No good just hitting balls across the area if players are nowhere near there. Worse one was in second half when he was moved to forward and he had simple pass from the left. Fluffed it. Having said all this 1st defeat of the season playing our 10th game. However did we learn from last weekend draw? not much, we can blame ref's. linemen and so on and so on but that Ref was not one sided today. Concentrate on what we can do and everything else then pans out. Yes we have had some poor decisions though why Chaplin played for that foul no idea. Was it a foul? Maybe if up other end but be clever, ref wasn't going to give it.

We were part unlucky, partly our own downfall also, but back to Portman Road and make no mistake make Portman hostile just like Plymouth and Sheff Wednesday have and see how that helps

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:33 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:44 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I thought Chaplin was clearly fouled just prior to their equaliser AM. The Plymouth player went straight through the back of him and had no intention of going for the ball. I just don’t know what these refs don’t “ see” when it’s decisions that go against us, as most of them appear to do each week. Put it this way, had that challenge been by a Town player at the other end of the pitch that ref would have given a penalty in the blink of an eye!

Their left back should have been red carded for that foul on Donacian. Ref’s decisions? Absolutely nothing given. It’s one thing for refs to be inconsistent. It’s entirely another to be on the end of negative decisions EVERY week. It’s almost the reverse situation of refs always giving the likes of Liverpool , Man City etc the benefit of the doubt and decisions always going for them. It seems refs each week look to actively punish Town for some reason. I’m sick of seeing bad decisions costing us goals and points every week and we’re only 11 games or so into the season. It’s happening far too often for it to be a blip or one off.

We could almost have a poll each week …” which minute will the ref make that pivotal decision that changes the game against Town”?
Hallam, you post a lot of good stuff on here and are usually a good read for me. I was actually able to watch today's game in Sky today and your above post is a mile out. The ref today had no bearing on Ipswich losing this match in the slightest

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:12 pm

I think the last 2 games have brought us down to earth a bit, many were thinking we were on the way to walking the league or at least making the top 2.

Today we met a very good side and couldn't dominate them like we do the 'lesser' sides. Alot of their players impressed me and we didn't quite seem as confident with the ball today. Being honest maybe they edged it, but both teams had good chances.

The next result will really be key, win vs Pompy and things aren't so bad, but another loss and there is suddenly a big question being asked about us getting results vs the bigger sides in the league.

Maybe we need to re-align a little and just change our mindset as fans a little.

Some excellent comments above, usually I don't agree too often with Rossi but he makes some good v good points.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:56 pm

Valleyroad: you’re fine don’t worry. We all see it different dont we.

I think Plymouth can count themselves lucky to have kept the left back on the pitch. His two footed tackle on Donacian, for me, was a straight red. He went in to score an important goal for them.

Chaplin, again for me, was fouled just prior to their equaliser, but wasn’t given. Ad I’ve said earlier. Had a Town player commited that challenge on a Plymouth player, he’d have given a penalty of that I have no doubt. I don’t think s single Plymouth player got booked today, yet s fair number of Town players were fouled. Not a single yellow was given.

But having said all that. We are our own worst enemies. We can’t defend in our box. We don’t command it. And we don’t have a decent #9 who can score goals regularly. And that in my view, will be the difference between promotion and another season in this god awful division. If we don’t go up this season we will lose our better players.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:56 pm

But having said all that. We are our own worst enemies. We can’t defend in our box. We don’t command it. And we don’t have a decent #9 who can score goals regularly. And that in my view, will be the difference between promotion and another season in this god awful division. If we don’t go up this season we will lose our better players.
I don’t share your views on the ref, I think our cards were deserved and could have been a couple of reds and apart from the obvious one they didn’t warrant any cards. And I don’t think it was a foul when they equalised, it was an attempt at obstruction.

I do agree with the above quote. Ladapo did well today with his hold up play - and he needed to as we went long ball more than usual. But he doesn’t look like a regular scorer. The defence isn’t as solid as some have thought, we just haven’t been punished for our mistakes so much.
I do agree that we are missing Aluko.
The only thing I disagree with in the quote is referring to league 1 as a god awful decision. Yes, there are teams of time wasters, yes there are bully-boy teams of giants, but the last two games have been high quality. And there are some teams playing god awful spoiling football in the championship too. Promotion wouldn’t stop us meeting that sort of team. Our game wasn’t as good today, we didn’t really get our passing game going as much as usual and we resorted to dirty play. I think we changed our style a bit too much.

I think we have to remember that KMcK is new to the job, and he won’t get everything right. I agree his substitutions didn’t work today, but if we had held on then I doubt if we would be criticising them.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:15 pm

I thought that was a great game of football today which we could and should have got something out of. Oh how much I would have loved Christian Waltons header to have gone under the bar for a 96th minute equaliser which would have been a fitting end to a great contest. I thought the referee had a decent game much better than some we’ve seen this season and to be honest he was quite kind to us because we could have had no complaints had he sent either Morsy of Evans off with straight reds. Yes he should have seen the bad challenge on Donacien and that too could easily have been a straight red without any complaints from Plymouth. As for the Chaplin incident pre their first goal, I saw that as Chaplin backing into their player looking to con the referee into giving us a free kick instead of tackling or closing down the scorer. We definitely got the substitutions wrong and it was no surprise they scored soon after because we simply lost oor shape and energy which they sensed and raised their game smelling opportunity. For me Ladapo for all the criticism he gets was one of our better players today and I’d like to see him keep his place. As for McKenna I still like his style of play but we definitely need to learn how to hold onto a lead and see games out.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:24 am

Rubbish! Can’t draw or beat Plymouth?! If we wanna get out of this league this result is unacceptable. If we don’t beat Portsmouth I’ll have even more concerns. Sort it KM! This may be an experiment for you, but us fans are sick of getting beat by the likes of Plymouth!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 am

As soon as McKenna deployed his favored 4-2-3-1 starting formation the team were always at a disadvantage. Guess the target today was not to lose but that idea didn't quite come to pass. Don't always know why we only play one attacker, it frustrates the sh*t out of some supporters but one last time it may have been altered as the game went on.

Viewed highlghts, they never provide the full picture but you get relevant action if nothing else. Thought maybe we were fortunate not to have a player dismissed, on another day and game official, would be quite easy to see a sending off in our ranks. Post-game reaction say it were a great advert for the lower leagues with two teams really going for it and plenty of incident. So we lost, it's unfortunate, regrettable, but you don't cook and simmer over it, and move on to the next game along. The unbeaten run had to end sooner or later, but still remain in a great position to challenge. Win lose or draw i'd rather have had a game this weekend than canceled to some international garbage you could do without.

Had Walton scored to save it late on instead of the goal frame being a f**king nuisance I'd suggest a hall of fame place such has been his contribution to the team thus far since coming in. What was Jackson doing being played out of position, McKenna has been outstanding in his time here but some line-ups and player fielding has the propensity to incite question.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:46 am

I don't believe the result has "brought us down to earth" at all, we lost a game of football which for 67 mins we were more than comfortable in, as has been said, no teams wins every game, we'll probably lose 7 or 8 during the season, we deserved something from this and bossed most of the stats again, we messed things up ourselves, taking Ladapo off and moving Jackson gave the guy at LB the opportunity to finally get forward and he bloody scores, Jackson had been well on top of that battle all game, McKenna definitely got it wrong today, no question, as for Edmundson his record speaks for itself, we've kept loads of clean sheets and yet with him in the team it's just One ! And that was against the toothless Arsenal kids, says it all, he's a liability that needs to be dropped for Keogh ASAP as Edmundson more than anyone cost us the draw yesterday, Plymouth weren't any great shakes tbh, just a team high on confidence who are riding high, I wouldn't swap hardly any of their players for our, maybe Whittaker who had a fab game.

All in all it was a fab game to watch but no great inquest needed really.

Oh and Waltons header looks over the line to me, I'll post the freeze frame when I can.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:20 am

That sums it all up well for me Mike - in the cold lightbof day and after feeling bitterly disappointed yesterday, we lost to an OK team and bossed both them and Sheff Weds for most of both games. We have now played arguably 2 of the hardest away games at this level and come away with lessons learned, a point and a knowledge that we can compete with anyone for large parts of the game. We need to learn hownto close games out when the momentum change and KM needs to learn that too - I am sure he will. I thought the ref was OK and Morsy has that kind of tackle in him. Its why Ball will be so important as Morsy will indeed be banned at periods of the season.

I am just glad i didn't do the 6 hours each way (have done it before) and hats off to those of you who did.

These teams have to come to us now and they won't relish that either as we will be stronger and after the Xmas window, potentially even stronger so lets put it down to experience and move on.

Portsmouth.... god I would love us to shut the Cowley's up like the 0-4 at their place last season... by the time the Cambridge game is over, we will be top again 👍 Roll on Saturday! COYB's!!

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:42 am

It all boils down to the fact that yet again we gave the ball away in a dangerous place and we’re punished for it!
It is individual errors that are costing us these points and nothing KM can do about that once the players are on the pitch.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:25 am

He can drop the guy who does it repeatedly though Jacko.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:41 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:25 am
He can drop the guy who does it repeatedly though Jacko.
👍

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:18 am

I think Plymouth played far better that a lot of people on here are giving them credit for.

We had too many influential players who offered absolutely nothing yesterday - Morsy, Chaplin, Harness, Evans. Most games one of our players has an off day, yesterday all of these 4 did - I attribute that to Plymouth having done their homework and freezing them out of the game. If KM HAD to make subs yeaterday, he should have got one of Evans/Morsy off - onstead he chise to replace players that were doing well. He's absolutely right when he says that the players must learn lessons from the last 2 games - but so must he.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:21 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:46 am
I don't believe the result has "brought us down to earth" at all, we lost a game of football which for 67 mins we were more than comfortable in, as has been said, no teams wins every game, we'll probably lose 7 or 8 during the season, we deserved something from this and bossed most of the stats again, we messed things up ourselves, taking Ladapo off and moving Jackson gave the guy at LB the opportunity to finally get forward and he bloody scores, Jackson had been well on top of that battle all game, McKenna definitely got it wrong today, no question, as for Edmundson his record speaks for itself, we've kept loads of clean sheets and yet with him in the team it's just One ! And that was against the toothless Arsenal kids, says it all, he's a liability that needs to be dropped for Keogh ASAP as Edmundson more than anyone cost us the draw yesterday, Plymouth weren't any great shakes tbh, just a team high on confidence who are riding high, I wouldn't swap hardly any of their players for our, maybe Whittaker who had a fab game.

All in all it was a fab game to watch but no great inquest needed really.

Oh and Waltons header looks over the line to me, I'll post the freeze frame when I can.

Spot on once again Mike, I think it shows in this league we need a Ladapo type player up front and next season the defence will need to be much better in the Championship, in our 6 wins only Forest Green have scored against us without the mistakes we would be clear at the top.