League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Our response to the Plymouth setback?

Ipswich Win
56%
Portsmouth Win
13%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:09 am

Ladapo’s goal from Pompey end. A REALLY classy finish by him and it was his first touch from coming on as sub. 👍 This is what I want to see him doing …taking his chances and burying them. Good lad.

https://twitter.com/IpswichTowen/status ... 2663821312

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:17 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm
Disagree with you on Edmundson Andy, thought he was clumsy all game
He’s the odd man out in a side that tries to play out from the back. He isn’t a classy footballer in the same way Woolfenden is. But i put more of the blame but the first goal on Woolfenden.
At the end of the day, it’s another entertaining game and an important 3 points. On my second glass of wine at home after a couple of pints in the Greyhound. Happy days.
I was convinced it was Edmundson c*ck up in the box. But having looked at the video it was Woolfie. However just prior to that it was Edmundson’s mandatory c*ck up , up tbh elite hours that led to the Pompey player getting into the box in the first place. It just underlines my view really , that there’s a mistake in either of our two CB’s EVERY week in every game, and what’s more galling is these mistakes are unforced, and usually against the run of play and when there is no real pressure on us. every week!

I’ll see if I can find the video of the penalties again…..

https://youtu.be/aFciVsJMLT0

The second penalty was Morsy going in for a challenge, but he appeared to pull out of it, but of course both players clashed as they went for the ball. The usual falling down by the Pompey player as soon as they’re touched and the egotistical ref , centre of attention in a big game points to the spot.

Did anyone else notice the way Pompey gained possession of the ball in their defending half? Their defenders as soon as they were in a challenge , hit the deck. The ref game them a free kick every single time. It was so obvious what they were doing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:27 am

I too was like Mike at the start of the game re the team selection. Thinking , why?

But I’ve thought absolutely it and that initial front three of Chaplin, JJ, Harness, had so much movement and pace about it , that those Pompey defenders were made to work very , very hard for 70 mins to keep our three under control. In fact they tore them apart in that first 20 mins. The game plan, to run their defenders ragged, and make the, fatigued went to plan. Then you bring Ladapo and Edward off the bench , who frankly, finish them off.

Every week MvKenna does the same thing, substituting on 70 mins with fresh strikers. His game plan of softening up the opposition defence and then sticking on fast, fresh legs works a treat. Our main problem, in my view is our defence, constantly giving away soft goals every week. Sort that out, and we’re up.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:55 am

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:27 am
The thing I've noticed is the lack of the owners across the pond participating in any messages videos etc like they have done previously thoughts ?.
What a good point, i wonder why that is - maybe as blue wilf says they are letting them get on but maybe a little more here and there would be nice. Even just to say they are watching and still big fans etc.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:46 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:11 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:06 pm
Don't want to.see Town fans ever behave like that again. It was stupid.
Agreed. It was pathetic.
Great game though. Dominant in the first half, less so second half. We have them few chances apart from the penalties.
Is this what you're on about regarding the fans?

Getting past the "It's a disgrace" bit - you have to see the funny side. Especially due to the context of Pompey historically time-wasting.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1576242687426330624
Last edited by Tangfastic on Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:46 am

Some of them were over not long back weren't they ? Silent owners are bad when things are going wrong but excellent when things are on the up, just keeping the investment coming will do for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:49 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:46 am
Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:11 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:06 pm
Don't want to.see Town fans ever behave like that again. It was stupid.
Agreed. It was pathetic.
Great game though. Dominant in the first half, less so second half. We have them few chances apart from the penalties.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1576242687426330624
Its ok for them to time waste when it suits though, I'm bloody glad we did what we did, let's scrap this nicey nicey image and be more like other clubs, Sheffield Wednesday fans were excellent at being hostile, without the throwing of missiles of course.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:15 am

Good result, only downer is the defence, without those two pens we would of romped it. I am thinking will Keogh come in for the Cambridge game?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:20 am

Hopefully, keogh should have been in yesterday, another costly error from Edmundson could have cost us yes Woolfenden could have done better too but it was Edmundson initially as usual. There can be no room for sentiment and loyalty, just ask Jackson and Ladapo.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:49 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:15 am
Good result, only downer is the defence, without those two pens we would of romped it. I am thinking will Keogh come in for the Cambridge game?
That's the concern in the back of my mind for me - we play such good football and work so hard to score - yet we give away too many cheap goals.

Wouldn't be surprised to see both Keogh and Ball come in against Cambridge. These two are too good to be on the bench and didn't come here to sit games out. McKenna can spin this as using the squad.and not dropping players. Its not like the defenders are having mares, just lapses in concentration. Both Woolf and Edmundson played well yesterday, but have to take responsibility for the first goal. Also, I think we also have to accept McKenna wants to play out from the back which is a risk and reward situation. Edmundsons contribution for Freddies goal was vital.

Bit concerned about Leif Davis. He took a huge knock and was surprised he carried on. Without Leigh, we need to keep Davis fit (who's getting better and better). Would not be surprised to see KVY replace him at Cambridge.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:16 am

To be fair that's a good point you make about Edmundsons contribution to Ladapo's goal, I didn't give him credit for that.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:38 am

Been so busy lately, I haven't even had a chance to watch the highlights. Anyway, great result yesterday! We haven't been good at finishing games off, so maybe we've shunned the hoodoo. Keep it going lads!

COYB!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:49 am

I'm always happy to hold my hands up if wrong, having just watched the highlights for the first time I have to say it was Woolfy who made the biggest Rick for the first penalty, Edmundson could have done better but should be expecting better cover behind him.

And Ladapo, for those who question him, take a look at our third goal, Edwards did brilliant but it was Ladapo who started that move off by winning a dual and setting Edwards off, great play.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:52 pm

Just watched very limited highlights. Nice win. Unlucky Walton with first pen save attempt…… nearly got that.
2nd pen award looked a bit of a head scratcher. Was a 50/50 all day long. But Charlie maybe doesn’t care much for ITFC after the Judge days!
Nice finish by Lapado. 👍 Confidence will grow with more of that.

Re SOME fans: :lol:
Can see the humour definitely re time wasting. and giving them a taste of their own medicine etc etc , 👍
But………. You just look like mammoth dickheads. Grown men throwing the ball away. 🤦‍♂️ :lol: Jaysus fkn Christ, get a life.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:42 pm

Was only able to listen to parts of the Radio Suffolk second half commentary! The noise coming from our fans after Ladapo's goal was phenomenal. Hearing their second equaliser was a real sombre moment and a feeling of déjà vu, followed by further elation after the commentary team seemed slow to realise Burns had scored the winner!

Great credit to KM for picking a team to cause maximum pressure to Pompey and for following up with perfect substitutions, especially following, what I (& others) felt were poor sub choices against Plymouth. Ladapo and Edwards as good as won it for us, but not forgetting Ball coming on to help secure our lead. Morsy, Evans & Ball across our midfield! How impressive does that sound for a League One club?

I think KM deserves huge praise for how he carries himself with his comments defending our club. He did stick the boot into Cowley's (and other L1 managers) comments about Ipswich, but did so in such a diplomatic manner! He was able to back up his words too, unlike Cowley's inane ramblings. Love this stat (source: EADT) regarding the experience of each team;

"Portsmouth's starting XI had 827 compared to Ipswich's 511"

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... on-9304196

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:54 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:42 pm
Was only able to listen to parts of the Radio Suffolk second half commentary! The noise coming from our fans after Ladapo's goal was phenomenal. Hearing their second equaliser was a real sombre moment and a feeling of déjà vu, followed by further elation after the commentary team seemed slow to realise Burns had scored the winner!

Great credit to KM for picking a team to cause maximum pressure to Pompey and for following up with perfect substitutions, especially following, what I (& others) felt were poor sub choices against Plymouth. Ladapo and Edwards as good as won it for us, but not forgetting Ball coming on to help secure our lead. Morsy, Evans & Ball across our midfield! How impressive does that sound for a League One club?

I think KM deserves huge praise for how he carries himself with his comments defending our club. He did stick the boot into Cowley's (and other L1 managers) comments about Ipswich, but did so in such a diplomatic manner! He was able to back up his words too, unlike Cowley's inane ramblings. Love this stat (source: EADT) regarding the experience of each team;

What does the number of Championship appearances mean, though? A couple of years ago we had Chambers, Skuse, Ward, sears, Judge, Huws, etc and they must have had more than a 1000 Championship appearances between them. It doesn't mean anything if they're on a slippery slope downwards through the leagues. Probably Colchester now could beat us on Championship appearances - wanna swap?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:13 pm

Really enjoyed reading Kieron McKenna’s post match comments. He’s such a talent and so lucid with his summary of events and mature beyond his years.

I just can’t imagine ITFC without him and hope he becomes our greatest manager since “Sir Bobby”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:57 pm

Yes its a fab interview for sure and sums up teams and in particular Cowley perfectly. The mind games ain't gonna work cus we are going up this season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:50 pm

The mind games won’t work on McKenna because he’s a move ahead of most if not all managers in this division. He really is a great talent and we’re so lucky to have him at ITFC.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:49 am
I'm always happy to hold my hands up if wrong, having just watched the highlights for the first time I have to say it was Woolfy who made the biggest Rick for the first penalty, Edmundson could have done better but should be expecting better cover behind him.

And Ladapo, for those who question him, take a look at our third goal, Edwards did brilliant but it was Ladapo who started that move off by winning a dual and setting Edwards off, great play.
Having watched the first penalty again , I feel Edmundson cocked up by once again misjudging his man and his tackle . This left a night clear run in on goal for their player and Woolfie in chase. He also made a mistake getting the wrong side of his man, so didn’t make a challenge ( a dead cert penalty) and Walton came out to narrow the angle goes to ground makes no contact t because the Pompey jumped ( rolled?) over Walton playing for the penalty . I’d said this too, was a soft penalty. The 2nd penalty wasn’t a penalty . But we all knew that anyway . The ref at PR was once again was a tossa !

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:08 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:54 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:42 pm

What does the number of Championship appearances mean, though? A couple of years ago we had Chambers, Skuse, Ward, sears, Judge, Huws, etc and they must have had more than a 1000 Championship appearances between them. It doesn't mean anything if they're on a slippery slope downwards through the leagues. Probably Colchester now could beat us on Championship appearances - wanna swap?
Totally get (and agree with) your point about the Ipswich "old guard"!
In the interview, KM is quoted as saying
""I think we have no right to dominate the first half as much as we did today. I think Portsmouth have an outstanding team full of Championship players. If you want to count the Championship appearances between the two teams you would find an interesting match-up.

"One of the only players they have that doesn't have Championship experience is one of the best young strikers in world football, in my opinion, in Dane Scarlett
."

What I was getting at here is a team with that experience, achieving good results, as opposed to a team of players nobody else wants, mostly has-beens and those looking for a last payday in a team on a downward spiral!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:56 am

Bluemike wrote:

I wasn’t the only one who thought Edmundson had a decent game on Saturday. Herewith is the Evening Star Player Ratings;

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... gs-9304216

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:08 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:53 pm
Just an observation, we had a bigger attendance today than three Premier League games played at Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Fulham. That’s some achievement for a League One fixture.

Well done ITFC.
….. and furthermore only Sheffield United and Sunderland had higher attendances in The Championship. The foundation’s are certainly being laid to make us a “Big Club” again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:13 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:56 am
Bluemike wrote:

I wasn’t the only one who thought Edmundson had a decent game on Saturday. Herewith is the Evening Star Player Ratings;

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... gs-9304216
Yeah I remarked above that having seen the highlights it was more Woolfy at fault for the first penalty and I didn't give Edmundson credit for his part in the build up to the goal.

People around me were saying how uncomfortable and clumsy he looks in possession and how he nearly always goes to his right with a simple tippy tappy pass to Woolfy, its something I've certainly noticed for some time now, he clearly doesn't like the style he's being asked to play.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:16 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:08 am
Charnwood wrote:
Just an observation, we had a bigger attendance today than three Premier League games played at Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Fulham. That’s some achievement for a League One fixture.

Well done ITFC.
….. and furthermore only Sheffield United and Sunderland had higher attendances in The Championship. The foundation’s are certainly being laid to make us a “Big Club” again.
We are also the best supported club in East Anglia once again, the last Two scum games had lower attendances than we will probably get tonight and certainly lower than Saturdays against Pompey. Happy days.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:53 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:16 am
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:08 am
Charnwood wrote:

Well done ITFC.
We are also the best supported club in East Anglia once again, the last Two scum games had lower attendances than we will probably get tonight and certainly lower than Saturdays against Pompey. Happy days.

We also have a larger Stadium than Norwich City where they couldn’t even accommodate the attendance we had on Saturday. Carrow Road only has a capacity of 27,244, well short of our 29,673. Their average attendance so far this season is still circa 300 more than us but I don’t see that lasting long. I just hope they don’t get promoted back to the Premier League and avoid meeting us next season in The Championship.