League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Our response to the Plymouth setback?

Ipswich Win
56%
Portsmouth Win
13%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:43 pm

Oh wow 3-2. Wes Burns ⚽️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:43 pm

Great cross by Edwards

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:45 pm

Brilliant impact substitutions by Kieron McKenna

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:46 pm

FFS don’t give this away 🙏

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:50 pm

Sounds like a cracking game,fingers crossed we can win this :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:55 pm

Just need to close this game out, keep possession and keep pushing forward. No more slip ups please.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:02 pm

So pleased, so proud but defensively only gave them two chances, both penalties mind..

Well they have bottle to keep getting in front

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:03 pm

So glad I watched that. An absolute cracker!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:05 pm

OMG what a game and a thoroughly deserved win

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:05 pm

What a brilliant game of football. It certainly made Covid feel better for a couple of hours. Can’t wait for Tuesday night, bring it on.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:05 pm

Great game. Really enjoyed that, but we don't half make it hard for ourselves. Walton didn't have a save to make apart from the two penalties.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:06 pm

Great result f*ck off Cowley. Don't want to.see Town fans ever behave like that again. It was stupid.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:11 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:06 pm
Don't want to.see Town fans ever behave like that again. It was stupid.
Agreed. It was pathetic.
Great game though. Dominant in the first half, less so second half. We have them few chances apart from the penalties.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:34 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:39 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:25 pm
Far from impressed with McKenna today.
What’s your beef Mike?

It’s the first 11 with TJJ in for Ladapo. Looks strong to me.
My beef was the team selection, Edmundson is crap every week, cost us last week and again today with the first penalty, Jackson was superb last week and gets dropped, Ladapo is searching for goalscoring form and confidence and gets dropped, so the message is be a liability and keep your place, play well or score and get benched, just don't get it.

Clearly it worked as we won but it doesn't change things for me. That said we thoroughly deserved to win today and far more comfortably than we did, Edmundson was all at sea for the first penalty and Woolfy not much better, they created absolutely nothing , just 2 pens for their afternoons work.

The subs made a big difference, clearly Ladapo scoring with his first touch was fab but what an impact Edwards made too which ultimately won us the game in the end. What probably went unnoticed for most was the excellent substitution to bring on Ball, he hadn't crossed the white line and was soon barking out instructions, organising those around him and keeping everyone calm and composed, it was a super move at a crucial time.

I thought Harness had a really good game today and loved his goal, nice to see him celebrating it, Burns too caused them problems, as did Chaplin.

As for Portsmouth, I don't think much of them at all tbh, created nothing all game and as said but for the penalties they offered nothing, I can see them slipping off the pace in time.

All in all a fab day, great game and a superb result, bring on Tuesday, I can't wait. COYB'S

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:56 pm

Nerves are shredded but it was fab. We outplayed them for 99% of the game. Pens looked dubious but we were so dominant, i always expected we would get the chance to come back and we did!i though Davis was immense today and a cut above. Ladapo and edwards also excellent when they came on. The rest were all very good and we fully deserved the win. So we have now outplayed sheff weds, plymouth and portsmouth for most of each game. We are the best team in the league but just need to prove that with consistency. That is what will have us in the top 2. We need a big, long run of wins off the back of this. This IS our time! COYB's!!!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:06 pm

Great result. For me Town are going up this season. Just hoping they can hold onto McKenna

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:15 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:56 pm
Nerves are shredded but it was fab. We outplayed them for 99% of the game. Pens looked dubious but we were so dominant, i always expected we would get the chance to come back and we did!i though Davis was immense today and a cut above. Ladapo and edwards also excellent when they came on. The rest were all very good and we fully deserved the win. So we have now outplayed sheff weds, plymouth and portsmouth for most of each game. We are the best team in the league but just need to prove that with consistency. That is what will have us in the top 2. We need a big, long run of wins off the back of this. This IS our time! COYB's!!!
Perfectly summed up and 100% correct.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:47 pm

https://twitter.com/ipswichtown/status/ ... 93830912?s

Me n Mike are in this somewhere lol … both attached to a defibrillator!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:25 pm

I don’t think we can criticise McKenna at all for his team selection today. From the minute the game started the eleven selected made it clear they were up for it today and each worthy of their selection. TJJ had an excellent first half in the No 9 role and each to a man was worthy of their place. Football matches rarely get played mistake free and Edmundson wasn’t solely to blame for the first penalty, Woolfie had a chance to clear and there was no need for Walton to dive in and make the foul, likewise Morsy’s penalty was nothing short of clumsy. Apart for the penalty I thought Edmundson had a brilliant game and may well be a contender for MOTM. Whilst in my opinion McKenna more than justified his team selection today his substitutions were nothing short of outstanding and for me was the difference between 3 points or one against the only undefeated side in our league.
I thought McKenna was brilliant today and more than made up for recent errors. Long may he stay at Portman Road.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:45 pm

Who said we can’t beat a top six team and Ladapo is crap. 🤣

I think Freddie will be first pick on Tuesday and score twice. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm

Disagree with you on Edmundson Andy, thought he was clumsy all game

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm
Disagree with you on Edmundson Andy, thought he was clumsy all game
He’s the odd man out in a side that tries to play out from the back. He isn’t a classy footballer in the same way Woolfenden is. But i put more of the blame but the first goal on Woolfenden.
At the end of the day, it’s another entertaining game and an important 3 points. On my second glass of wine at home after a couple of pints in the Greyhound. Happy days.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:44 pm

Yes, Edmundson is an interesting one. He is prone to a mistake but today, I thought Donacien was equally likely to make that error. I like to watch us build from the back - i cannot lie. I never thought it was the 'ipswich way' but comparing that to portsmouth's 'hoof ball' was quite revealing for me. Made me a bit proud of what we have become in this league, even though we are still the architects of our own issues on a few occasions each game through our continued pursuance of this tactic (and it slows the game a bit). Having said that, i love to watch us most of the time - i just don't trust refs when we let teams put us under pressure at the back and we often give away silly free kicks in dangerous areas which raises the old blood pressure! We should know that crashing into people results in free kicks. In fact, touching people and allowing them to fall over brings free kicks in this division - we should learn that! Having said all of that, how we do the interchange of short passes in triangles and play it about is sublime - especially at this level. We have this in our DNA but this is the first set of players for many years that i have seen able to do it so well and so often. Even back in the good old days, we never played those triangles like that (i know the game was different then and we had other strengths) but in the modern age, its nice to see we can do it. I fully expect that when we go up and play that way in the championship, we will excel, much like sunderland are finding this season. The future is bright - the future is McKenna and Ipswich! 👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:49 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:44 pm
Yes, Edmundson is an interesting one. He is prone to a mistake but today, I thought Donacien was equally likely to make that error. I like to watch us build from the back - i cannot lie. I never thought it was the 'ipswich way' but comparing that to portsmouth's 'hoof ball' was quite revealing for me. Made me a bit proud of what we have become in this league, even though we are still the architects of our own issues on a few occasions each game through our continued pursuance of this tactic (and it slows the game a bit). Having said that, i love to watch us most of the time - i just don't trust refs when we let teams put us under pressure at the back and we often give away silly free kicks in dangerous areas which raises the old blood pressure! We should know that crashing into people results in free kicks. In fact, touching people and allowing them to fall over brings free kicks in this division - we should learn that! Having said all of that, how we do the interchange of short passes in triangles and play it about is sublime - especially at this level. We have this in our DNA but this is the first set of players for many years that i have seen able to do it so well and so often. Even back in the good old days, we never played those triangles like that (i know the game was different then and we had other strengths) but in the modern age, its nice to see we can do it. I fully expect that when we go up and play that way in the championship, we will excel, much like sunderland are finding this season. The future is bright - the future is McKenna and Ipswich! 👍
Agree with every word of that

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:23 pm

Certainly agree with the bit about Mckenna, what a revelation he is and still learning at such a young age, of course he will make mistakes, I thought he made a couple today but hey we won and outplayed a so called promotion rival.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:53 pm

Just an observation, we had a bigger attendance today than three Premier League games played at Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Fulham. That’s some achievement for a League One fixture.

Well done ITFC.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:56 pm

That is brilliant for sure, I heard someone on the way home saying they are expecting 27k Tuesday too, can't see that myself but you never know.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:30 am

Would have been something to be involved in today's game event but it just wasn't possible. That would have been a true advert for the League, it's not somewhere we want to be and looking on the right path to this time escape it but what a brilliant advertisement this game must have been.

28,000 or thereabout for crowd, end to end entertainment and the game official awarded two penalties against us in front of a partizan support. Got some balls to do that and first time it's ever happened read somewhere although find that statistic tough to acknowledge.

Don't know why McKenna didn't play Jackson or Ladapo from the start and although his usual starting formation causes a level of argument, it worked for us and so long as favorable results continue he's going to see no reason to change.

Burns' goal will win no awards but it won us the game, just happened to be in the right place when the ball came over. Ladapo when coming on scored a fine effort, I'd include the kid more often as can only grow in stature the more game time he gets.

Shame Plymouth got a win also but the bottom line here being it's something of a pleasure to support the club once again. Previous managers and club personnel very nearly sank us without trace but finally after so many years of regrettable horseshit, the club name is once more making it's way back into the focus of positive / rightful recognition.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:27 am

The thing I've noticed is the lack of the owners across the pond participating in any messages videos etc like they have done previously thoughts ?.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:37 am

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:27 am
The thing I've noticed is the lack of the owners across the pond participating in any messages videos etc like they have done previously thoughts ?.
Yes, that is an interesting observation as they were more visible last season. Maybe they want to give everyone time to adjust this season and settle in without feeling they have to 'entertain the management'. If that is the case, its working. I would rather they let us so our thing for a few more weeks and then come and do their thing around xmas when we may want some january investment...