League 1 - Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An easy win against the bottom side?

Morecombe Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
94%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 18

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:24 pm

Basically, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Look at the table in March …..

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:03 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:50 pm
Not wanting to be "negative", but another fact is we were 2nd in the table Christmas 2019 and then finished 11th.
…. and our team on Boxing Day 2019 was;

W. Norris

J. Donacien L. Woolfenden A. Nsiala. L. Garbutt

G. Edwards. J. Nolan. C. Skuse. A. Judge

J. Norwood. K Jackson

… and the fact is that team wasn’t quite as* as good as McKenna’s team this season. Without wishing to be overly positive I think we’ve come a long way since then and to be honest I really don’t see much danger in finishing 11th or anywhere near.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:17 am

To even compare our previous managers to KM is nonsense. If you don’t see the difference you need to get your head checked. I mean just listen to KM’s remarks & comments. Look at how he’s improved the players. I said from day one we’re lucky to have him. Sure you can criticize his rotations, but unlike previous managers it’s based on analytics & football intelligence. If we don’t get promoted it won’t be due to KM’s management.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:26 am

One last time McKenna is the finest team coach we've had here since Royle, at least in terms of hope or expectancy something good may come, although in the grand scheme of things it's maybe not saying much. Leaving Magilton out with respect to his time here as player and a respected club servant, every name thereafter from Jewell to Cook just failed to inspire me, motivate or hope to see some level of accomplishment. People go on about McCarthy being somethng of a success, one play-off finish out of what six or seven attempts amid near constant mundane non-event seasons after another did little for some fans out there.

(Roy) Keane was brought in as a something of a gimmick that was destined to fail from time of appointment. You get past all the initial hype from day one and what was the sum total of it, not much that I can recall. That's just one last example.

Would be interesting to see how McKenna would work out here if we were Championship league status instead of what you could argue a more leisurely pace a division below. All that's left to wonder is will that opportunity come to pass next summer as or when we're back / promoted, and the manager stays on another year to boost his already promising resume or other than that, gets led away by someone else and allows his profile to rise at a more recognized or established club name. All hypothetical but a real sense of reality with it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:05 am

No-one has criticised McKenna. We all know how much things have improved. Not just McKenna, but the new owners. And players who really connect with the fans.

The point is...... why are we proclaiming ourselves champions in October? We've seen before how it can go wrong very quickly. If there's one thing that can f*ck things up is overconfidence. Hopefully, McKenna will keep 5he players grounded.

What I don't understand is that 2 weeks ago our promotion drive was being solely screwed up by cheating refs.. and yet now theyve all suddenly disappeared and we can crown ourselves champions without them putting a spanner in the works.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:51 am

I always sing Arana’s posts when he starts a post with “One last time” ……… usually with a “boot scootin baby” Steps voice. Very enner’tainin’

Ipswich Town: 2023/24 EFL Championship Champions. If you have a serious, non fixable gambling problem, ——->> book it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:41 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:05 am
No-one has criticised McKenna. We all know how much things have improved. Not just McKenna, but the new owners. And players who really connect with the fans.

The point is...... why are we proclaiming ourselves champions in October? We've seen before how it can go wrong very quickly. If there's one thing that can f*ck things up is overconfidence. Hopefully, McKenna will keep 5he players grounded.

What I don't understand is that 2 weeks ago our promotion drive was being solely screwed up by cheating refs.. and yet now theyve all suddenly disappeared and we can crown ourselves champions without them putting a spanner in the works.
"We" haven't proclaimed ourselves as champions, I have, or at least I've said I believe we will go up as champions, what is wrong with that ? I don't see how me being overconfident is going to rub off on the team, quite ridiculous. I've certainly never said our promotion drive is gonna be screwed by poor refereeing decisions, I did say " if we miss out" by a point or Two it would be because of their poor performances, that still holds.

Surely you should be enjoying the football and situation at the moment, if you can't enjoy it now why bother ? Some of you seem hell bent on finding the negatives among a plethora of positives, I just don't get it, we get an injury and it's the end of the world, l get we all get frustrated during a game or with a selection, I am no different in that respect but there is so much to be positive about, enjoy the journey I say, if it goes tits up, that is the time to feel glum and fed up, we haven't had a positive feel for years, people must surely feel this season is so different to God knows how many recent seasons? Nothing wrong with belief and positivity, I always have and always will hate fence sitting.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:34 am

FWIW my champions comment was on the back of Shed saying don't you dare mention the play offs, so I took it to a higher level, I do believe we will be champions.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:02 am

I agree with Mike. I also think we will go up as Champions. I've promised my partner not to gamble anymore otherwise I'd be looking for a double on us being promoted to the premiership at the end of next season as Marko teasingly hinted at.
In fact ,I'm going to momentarily break my promise and seek out the best odds on a double promotion .

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:29 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:34 am
FWIW my champions comment was on the back of Shed saying don't you dare mention the play offs, so I took it to a higher level, I do believe we will be champions.
Bloody hell it’s like being at home as I always seem to get dragged into the conversation when there is a difference of opinion! :lol: Only joking folks.
As I said if it was offered I would be more than happy to take 2nd now. Certainly as we know the playoffs really are a lottery and anything can happen. Look at last season, Wycombe turning over MK Dons in the semi-finals. Anyhow, no doubt there will be many twists and turns before anything is decided and it could yet again end up requiring a high number of points to secure even a top 6 place.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:35 am

I think it’ll be us and Wednesday in the automatics.

Could be either way round and although it’d be nice to be champions that’s not the most important thing - getting out of this sh***y league is.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:55 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:47 am
^^^^ that.

I haven't compared managers or players at all. There's no comparison to be made in that regard.

Just stated facts.
I wasn't referring to your post at all. Clearly, someone else was comparing KM to Lambert...unless I've misunderstood the statement. No worries though. Say what you want, it's a forum.

I think it's completely fair to be confident we'll be champions under the current regime, but as Shed says I'll take second in a second! I just want automatic, I don't think my heart can handle the playoffs. :lol:
Last edited by number 9 on Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:00 pm

It's far to early to be making these assumptions that we will be champions,still a long way to go.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:01 pm

It's an opinion, hardly major news.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:22 pm

To many unnecessary overreactions on this,people should respect other people opinions but they don't.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:20 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:55 am
BlueBalls wrote:
^^^^ that.

I haven't compared managers or players at all. There's no comparison to be made in that regard.

Just stated facts.
I wasn't referring to your post at all. Clearly, someone else was comparing KM to Lambert...unless I've misunderstood the statement. No worries though. Say what you want, it's a forum.

I think it's completely fair to be confident we'll be champions under the current regime, but as Shed says I'll take second in a second! I just want automatic, I don't think my heart can handle the playoffs. :lol:
It's not about comparing Mckenna with Lambert.... but we've been here before. Why would we ignore previous experiences? Top of the league early on ( twice, in fact, 2019 and 2020) and we dropped like a stone on both occasions. Yes, we're in better hands now, but let's not count our chickens yet. I think the leagues more competitive than it was 2-3 years ago. We could be 15-20 points better off than last year and still come in 3rd or 4th. It's a slog and a real season long test for our squad.
Whatever? If being negative is not thinking its a sure thing after 13 games then I don't think it's giving this league its true credit. Its caught us out before. And nearly did on Saturday again against the bottom side who had 8 first teamers out. Its a tough league.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:23 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:22 pm
To many unnecessary overreactions on this,people should respect other people opinions but they don't.
Exactly

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:48 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:20 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:55 am
BlueBalls wrote:
^^^^ that.

Just stated facts.

It's not about comparing Mckenna with Lambert.... but we've been here before. Why would we ignore previous experiences? Top of the league early on ( twice, in fact, 2019 and 2020) and we dropped like a stone on both occasions. Yes, we're in better hands now, but let's not count our chickens yet. I think the leagues more competitive than it was 2-3 years ago. We could be 15-20 points better off than last year and still come in 3rd or 4th. It's a slog and a real season long test for our squad.
Whatever? If being negative is not thinking its a sure thing after 13 games then I don't think it's giving this league its true credit. Its caught us out before. And nearly did on Saturday again against the bottom side who had 8 first teamers out. Its a tough league.
That’s fair, Tang. I just think we’re a totally different organization now. Hey if we choke, I’ll be the first to raise my hand and say,that Tang….he knows his football! And then I’ll go kick the cat. Meow!! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
This an opinion, Mariner? I respect it! 👌👍 :D

Lets both go kick 9’s cat. 👍

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 pm
Mariner67 wrote:
This an opinion, Mariner? I respect it! 👌👍 :D

Lets both go kick 9’s cat. 👍
Sounds like a plan lol

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 pm

This discussion will be worth revisiting at the end of the season.

For what it's worth, I think we will get automatic promotion. Of course, if you look where I sit in the prediction league you should get very worried about what I think!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:45 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 pm
This discussion will be worth revisiting at the end of the season.

For what it's worth, I think we will get automatic promotion. Of course, if you look where I sit in the prediction league you should get very worried about what I think!
:lol: