League 1 - Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An easy win against the bottom side?

Morecombe Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
94%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 18

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:49 pm

It turns out Harness and Burns were nursing minor muscle issues so were rested so again what do we know, I was certainly not drooling over the starting line up but there were reasons for it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:50 pm

We have a lot of injuries atm though don’t we. Looks like Ball is now another one.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:18 pm
In McKenna’s defence he has a big squad of talented players who all want to play, all have something to offer and all need to keep at the top of their game. The more they interchange and the more they play in different formations with different players the easier they will fit in when needed. Where McKenna really earned his money today was at HT when whatever he said worked wonders because for 10 or 15 minutes after the restart we were awesome.
Well said and spot on! Many have wanted Edward’s and Keogh to start, they did and overall both did well. This 5 games in 15 days period requires rotation and the new five sub rule really changes things as sometimes it’s better to bring on certain players when the opposition are tired.

Certainly a weaker performance but I don’t panic with this team. I know KM has the ability to get things right during half time and we have the squad to make the right changes to effect games.
I’m just looking at keeping up the two points a game ratio and we are now Four ahead of that - even after those 3 tricky matches against top sides.

Edmundson had his best game for a while so that was a positive. Edward’s did well second half, TJJ was quite though and harness got us playing a little more once he came on.
Morsey immense, standard.

Let’s not forget we have 5-6 out injured and yet look at the bench still!

Keep calm
Carry on

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:13 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:59 pm
Keep calm
Carry on

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:20 pm

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:05 pm
We will be Champions this season, anybody want to take the bet ?
I have us to be Champions this year at 11/2 from before the season stated, Mike and see no reason to cash out early. As Steve said, this is a game we would have drawn or lost in recent seasons. We are bound for the Championship and who knows where beyond that. I love Gamechanger - if there was ever a more appropriate name, I have never heard it! COYB's!!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:27 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:42 pm
I say it again.
If we can't Break down Rock bottom teams like morecambe. We have a long way to go before we can be a decent team..morecambe now will surely sit back and 11 men defending the goal ..cant see us winning now..this could be the day we know a lot about Ipswich
You have every right to your opinion, Denny but please please please try and have a bit more faith and less pessimism? Life can be really fun if you don't crumble at every sign of a setback. Trust me - it will make your whole life better and will also energise us in the middle of a game instead of deflating us! 😂

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:28 pm

Didn’t see the match today, had to make do with radio commentary. Seems we were below par but dominated possession. I was a bit worried that we weren’t managing a single shot for a long period, but not for the first time we improved after the break.
That to me is crucial. Under previous managers we have looked the better side in the first half but faded when the opposition change tactics. We seem to have as manager now who can tweak a formation or make changes that make all the difference.
Not a brilliant performance but we’ve had some tough games and some long journeys. We fought back from going behind, and kept going after a poor penny miss. Three very valuable points. The gaps are widening at the top.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:28 pm

Denny is NEVER positive or complimentary about anything ITFC and only posts when things are not quite going to plan, draw your own conclusions

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:38 pm

The sign of a good side , is when they do win when they’ve not played particularly well. Which was definitely us in the first half today. There’s not many games in this league that will be “ easy” or dead cert, which is why it took Sheffield Utd 7 years to get out of it.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:05 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:54 pm
Changes required. Ladapo for TJJ for a start. Keogh looks out of hi depth. Can't play that bad for another 45mins. Early goal 2nd half we will win.
As predicted early goal we won. :lol: wow we made hard work of it. To be honest 2nd half we were dominent but the defending looked not controlled as usual.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:19 am

You always knew Morecombe would be head hunters playing at home against the #2 team. Good to see we pulled off a win cuz as many have said under previous managers we would have capitulated. Worrying for me is how Plymouth & Wednesday are scoring goals freely. I think we need to spank a few teams to raise our goal difference even more. COYB!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:22 am

Chaplin messed up what would have been a correct 3 - 1 game prediction but he's done good for us thus far and the team won so certain things can be overlooked. Got Evans to score also so guess that's something.

Final score was a bit close than you'd like it but we were value for the win and despite the opposition creating one or two further chances as the contest reached it's final stages there can't be any real dispute from them in being beaten.

Shame Plymouth and SWFC got wins also but you got to concentrate on your own teams endeavors and we continue to push on towards the dreams and ambition of this time getting out this lousy league by end of season. If we don't obtain that primary goal when the time arises I won't quite understand what the hell went on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:14 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:19 am
You always knew Morecombe would be head hunters playing at home against the #2 team. Good to see we pulled off a win cuz as many have said under previous managers we would have capitulated. Worrying for me is how Plymouth & Wednesday are scoring goals freely. I think we need to spank a few teams to raise our goal difference even more. COYB!!
I believe we are the top scorers in the division though 9 which ain't bad going thus far, best goal difference too, all ticking along nicely atm, Two home games now, Lincoln and Derby, happy days.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:39 am

We’ve got the best goal difference by some margin at this stage in the season already. But agree more goals need cos that’s what win games

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:47 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:22 am
Chaplin messed up what would have been a correct 3 - 1 game prediction but he's done good for us thus far and the team won so certain things can be overlooked. Got Evans to score also so guess that's something.

Final score was a bit close than you'd like it but we were value for the win and despite the opposition creating one or two further chances as the contest reached it's final stages there can't be any real dispute from them in being beaten.

Shame Plymouth and SWFC got wins also but you got to concentrate on your own teams endeavors and we continue to push on towards the dreams and ambition of this time getting out this lousy league by end of season. If we don't obtain that primary goal when the time arises I won't quite understand what the hell went on.
This is exactly the game I expected Saint. Traditionally, we don’t fair too well against physical teams & high pressing teams. But as a team/ squad under McKenna we truly are developing the skills and approach to deal with these tactics by opponents.

I think the level of physicality and the high press from Morecambe surprised us and we took the first half to settle. McKenna himself, said they used a totally different approach to any of their previous games. So all credit to them, they took us by surprise in how they dealt with us. But a Town side 12 months ago would have lost that game. Guess I need to start believing in us myself lol!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:27 am

Yeah you do lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:36 am

:mrgreen:

Il'l put money on it as soon as I verbalise that we will win, we'll lose lol

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:41 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:14 am
number 9 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:19 am
I believe we are the top scorers in the division though 9 which ain't bad going thus far, best goal difference too, all ticking along nicely atm, Two home games now, Lincoln and Derby, happy days.
Oh yeah, I'm certainly not complaining. I just want us to contunue that GD advantage cuz things could be tight come the end of the season...and I want automatic promotion!

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:04 am

Definitely a game we would have lost last season, so I'm pleased with the win but disappointed with the way we played first half.

Mike hit it on the head - Morsy and Evans went missing first half, different story second half. What I noticed especially was how Edwards differed over the 2 halves, and I think KM needs to impress on the rest of the team that Edwards is not like Burns at all and plays differently. Burns runs into space to get on the ball, Edwards needs the ball to his feet. He got that the second half and looked a different player.

Didn't understand the need to make 5 changes, he apparently left some players out as they had injury niggles, but if they were fit enough to bring on 2nd half then they were fit enough to start so I don't buy KMs explanation of that at all.

Overall I'm really pleased at the start to this season, but I wish we would play the ball quickly and crisply (as we did 2nd half) more of the time.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:56 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:04 am
Definitely a game we would have lost last season, so I'm pleased with the win but disappointed with the way we played first half.

Mike hit it on the head - Morsy and Evans went missing first half, different story second half. What I noticed especially was how Edwards differed over the 2 halves, and I think KM needs to impress on the rest of the team that Edwards is not like Burns at all and plays differently. Burns runs into space to get on the ball, Edwards needs the ball to his feet. He got that the second half and looked a different player.

Didn't understand the need to make 5 changes, he apparently left some players out as they had injury niggles, but if they were fit enough to bring on 2nd half then they were fit enough to start so I don't buy KMs explanation of that at all.

Overall I'm really pleased at the start to this season, but I wish we would play the ball quickly and crisply (as we did 2nd half) more of the time.
Totally agree with you regarding the injury niggles. If it that was the case then I would question why risk having them on the bench.
As I said previously in this thread imo 5 changes is too many, yes we got away with it yesterday but just feel it will come back to bite us if KM continues to do this.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:08 pm

Maybe McKenna had no choice but to put those with niggly injuries on the bench due to the other players out with long term injuries? I don’t know.

But Who wasn’t on the bench yesterday that could have played in the game?

Gary: I totally agree with re the pace of our passing (especially coming out of defence). It’s far too pedestrian and single paced, I’ve said to Mike during games if we were to put in a burst or change of pace in our build up we’d catch teams out more often. They all know what we will do, so many teams sit back and let us have it in our half. Some try to press us. Fine, get the ball forward MUCH quicker, but intersperse our passing game with that speed play. Opponents won’t know what to do.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:17 pm

Well judging by our record of W9 D3 L1 most opponents don't seem to know what to do, it's clearly working whatever Mckenna does.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:25 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:08 pm
Maybe McKenna had no choice but to put those with niggly injuries on the bench due to the other players out with long term injuries? I don’t know.

But Who wasn’t on the bench yesterday that could have played in the game?

Gary: I totally agree with re the pace of our passing (especially coming out of defence). It’s far too pedestrian and single paced, I’ve said to Mike during games if we were to put in a burst or change of pace in our build up we’d catch teams out more often. They all know what we will do, so many teams sit back and let us have it in our half. Some try to press us. Fine, get the ball forward MUCH quicker, but intersperse our passing game with that speed play. Opponents won’t know what to do.
Hallam
I believe it was Burns and Harness that KM was referring to regarding the niggling injuries,
I think the majority of us would agree that both of these players are important members of the squad. Both came on and played for about 25 minutes yesterday. Now imo if indeed they did have niggling injuries then surely you are risking aggravating them and it could then mean they miss 3, 4 or 5 games. As rossi said and I agree with him I don’t buy that explanation.
I just feel sometimes KM just wants to tinker too much. Yesterday he decided to drop Woolfie when in the previous game the defence had kept a clean sheet. A few matches ago when the defence looked vulnerable he kept with the same players. Same with Ladapo after he had scored in a couple of games he then put him back on the bench.
Ok everything he does at the moment seems to work out and hopefully long may that continue but I do have concerns about constantly changing the team around.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:

League One recap.

8th Oct 2019.

Ipswich have 27 points from 11 games and are 4 points clear off second placed Wycombe with a game in hand. Manager Paul Lambert is lauded as a messiah and fans are desperate to get him to sign a new contract to tie his future down to the club. Hot-striker-cum- wideman Freddie Sears is only a couple of months away from a return from injury to add firepower and TB's very own Blue Mike is guessing the month (March or Aptil?) when Town will be crowned champions. What could possibly go wrong?

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:48 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:16 pm
Bluemike wrote:

League One recap.

8th Oct 2019.

Ipswich have 27 points from 11 games and are 4 points clear off second placed Wycombe with a game in hand. Manager Paul Lambert is lauded as a messiah and fans are desperate to get him to sign a new contract to tie his future down to the club. Hot-striker-cum- wideman Freddie Sears is only a couple of months away from a return from injury to add firepower and TB's very own Blue Mike is guessing the month (March or Aptil?) when Town will be crowned champions. What could possibly go wrong?
Yes, we've been here before, and as you so rightly say 2019 proves that there is much in the old adage 'there's many a slip twixt cup and lip'.

My spectacles do not see chickens.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:55 pm

Yes still plenty of time for us to fcuk it up :lol: But Lambo was a shocking manager.Sears started off ok but again very poor as a striking option.Think we look better this year ,fingers crossed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:02 pm

If anyone is comparing Lamberts team with Mckennas team they need to be sectioned.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:38 pm

….. but it just wouldn’t be a Town fan site if we didn’t have posters looking for negatives. ☹️

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:27 pm

A lot more substance now though, we are donating games and creating lots of chances, we weren’t doing that in 2019 and the results weren’t matched by stats/performances.

We are right up there for most stats and are ticking a lot of boxes which were weren’t managing to do in previous seasons.

This weekend WAS a wake up call though, we cannot drop our level we have to be bang on it every week.