League 1 - Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An easy win against the bottom side?

Morecombe Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
94%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:29 pm

Image Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 8th October 2022 – 15:00

Mazuma Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

There was always the possibility that the visit of Cambridge Utd Tuesday evening could well turn into something of an after the lord mayor's show following on from the euphoria of the win against Portsmouth and for nigh on Seventy minutes it looked very much that way as Cambridge came and did what they do, to be fair they did it well as they parked more buses than you'd see at Victoria bus terminal in the heart of London. Town prodded and probed from the off, playing some nice Football at times too with their approach play down both wings, crosses were not in short supply as the visitors box was peppered but nothing would fall Town's way, Two crosses from Wes Burns were right on the money with firstly Ladapo's header flying past the post and then the onrushing Conor Chaplin contrived to put the next one into the side netting when he probably should really have scored. it just didn't look like Town were going to break through the stubborn rearguard.

They say that substitutions often change games and if ever we needed proof again this was it, the introduction of kyle Edwards did the trick as Town were finally able to get that crucial goal, Edwards started the move that saw Evans & Harness create the opportunity from which Tyreece John-Jules ghosted in at the back post to ram the ball home much to the delight of the 26k+ crowd. the sense of relief was felt all around the stadium and even at that point it felt like game over as Cambridge had hardly crossed the half way since the opening few minutes.

What followed next was the Kyle Edwards show as he bagged himself a brace, his first goals for Town which put a more realistic look on the score line. The first will be debated for ages but only Kyle himself will know if he mean't it or not, fans seem 50/50 on it but for me judging by the glance up and body position prior to letting rip he was going for goal and as such I have it down as a screamer, in truth though I really don't care as seeing the players mob him was great as he has definitely not had the easiest time since putting pen to paper at Portman Road, he has looked like a different player in his last Two cameo appearances and we really have him to thank for Six crucial points, Edwards is fast becoming our very own version of super sub David Fairclough, ( the older fans will know who that was) but surely a place in the starting Eleven can not be too far away and very well deserved it will be too.

One final thing, what a lovely change it was to have a decent Referee for the first time this season, fans will always bemoan everything that is given against their team but personally I thought he did well, although with only One team actually on the pitch it wasn't the hardest game to officiate in.

The win Tuesday very nearly saw Town return to the summit of the league One table but Plymouth's injury time winner denied us that honour, surely it can only be a matter of time before we return to our rightful place, the best should be at the top right? I think we can also say now that the theory we haven't played anyone yet is long dead as we have played all of the top Six and still we sit in a promotion place, that really is encouraging to say the least.

We follow up this weeks Two home games with another excellent chance of more points as we make the long trip to bottom of the table Morecambe in the home of getting back to winning ways on the road following our frustrating trips to Plymouth & Sheff Wed. our hosts find themselves floundering at the foot of the table with just a solitary win to their name so far, goals too have been very hard to come by and when you are regularly conceding it is a recipe for disaster. in truth their remit for the season was probably always going to be survival and that still remains the case but saying that this will be the chance for them to claim a big scalp and there is little doubt they will be up for it.

Loud voices in the Morecambe camp are calling for it to be nasty, Horrible and unpleasant for us on the day so we know what to expect, to be fair it doesn't bother me one bit as our own Morsy, Evans and Harness have shown us in recent weeks they are more than capable of "putting it about" What we don't want is to be drawn into a slugfest that drags us down to their level, we need to keep to the game plan, perform as we know we can and most importantly keep our discipline, those three things alone should be more than enough to get us over the line in this one, while no game is a given I do feel our superior quality will be too much for Morecambe on this occasion as town chalk up another away win. If Accrington can spring a surprise at Home park we could all be sitting Saturday evening drooling at the league one table. Kieran's at the wheel, COYB'S.

Morecambe FC - Honours

League

League Two

Play-off winners: 2021

Conference National

Play-off winners: 2007

Cups

FA Trophy

Winners: 1973–74

Conference League Cup

Winners: 1998

Northern Premier League

Runners-up (promoted): 1994–95

Lancashire Combination

Winners (5): 1924–25, 1961–62, 1962–63, 1966–67, 1967–68

Northern Premier League President's Cup

Winners: 1992

Lancashire Senior Cup

Winners: 1968

Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy

Winners (11): 1926, 1927, 1962, 1963, 1969, 1986, 1987, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

Lancashire Combination Cup

Winners (5): 1927, 1946, 1965, 1967, 1968

The Manager – Derek Adams

League Table

Form Guide

Morecambe FC

3 Sep Bristol Rovers 2 - 2 Morecambe

13 Sep Morecambe 0 - 3 Sheffield Wed

17 Sep Forest Green 1 - 2 Morecambe

24 Sep Morecambe 1 - 2 Cambridge Utd

1 Oct Accrington 3 - 1 Morecambe

Ipswich Town

13 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Bristol Rovers

17 Sep Sheffield Wed 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

25 Sep Plymouth 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

1 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Portsmouth

4 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Cambridge Utd

Head to Head

Match Referee – Thomas Kirk

MORECAMBE FC 0 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 pm

Another inexperienced referee who’s only ref’d 28 games over the past 12 months, 3 League 1, 5 League 2 and the rest in lower divisions. So far this season he’s ref’s 11 games issuing 47 yellow cards, no reds, and given 4 penalties. His biggest career match so far had been Lincoln City v Derby.

Let’s hope he’s up to protecting our players from Morecambe’s bully boys.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:03 am

Nice write up and spot on with the “Top clubs” chat. Played most of them with favourable results with the exception of Argyle (close one). KMcK is steering the ship admirably. Hoping it continues……

….., which leads into another area of chat re these crappy toffee apple & donkey clubs. MUST steer clear of injury. “Nasty & Horrible” are not the adjectives players (and fans) need to hear from the opposition. Hoping the game can be played with an element of professionalism with Ipswich Town players able to perform freely without the doubts of possible blatant misconduct. Genuinely see no other way that “nasty” and “horrible” can be used in a football sense. What……… park the bus? Hardly nasty or horrible. Hopefully all just mind games and the current promotion chasing squad can leave “Shag me now” hat wearing Morecambe unscathed.

Go for the 0-1 away win with them definitely going to park the donkeys.
Morecambe?? 🤷‍♂️ Whit? Who? Jaysus H. 🤦‍♂️

Come on, Ipswich……., get promoted.

Derek Adams caption:
Interviewer: “Players saying nasty & horrible this week, Derek. Any thoughts?”
Derek: “Yep. Its the Motherwell way this week.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:05 am

He’s going be conned by their players the whole game I fear. It’ll cost us points yet again.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:53 am

Got to positive, we keep our heads we will be ok....

2 - 1 to the Blues!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:08 am

With Morecambe publicly talking about their game plan likely to be nasty and horrible I’m sure McKenna will have his players more than well prepared. The referee albeit inexperienced has already dished out 47 yellow cards and awarded 4 penalties in his 11 games so far this season so most likely won’t be holding back.

I think Town will play a similar game of patience as they did against Cambridge and once they get ahead simply pile on the pressure. The most important thing in these games is not to concede first.

I see town travelling fans are again turning out in big numbers with more than 1000 tickets sold which probably means we’ll have 25% of the crowd most likely making more than 50% of the noise.

It must be hard on the players playing at home in front of nearly 30k fans and the atmosphere that goes with it one game and then play an away games in front of little more than 3 or 4k. I don’t think ever before have our travelling fans had a bigger role to play than they have now in making the atmosphere right and I applaud every one of them for spending their hard earned cash supporting the team. I just hope the football club appreciate it and throw in the odd benefit here and there.

Prediction 0-3

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:36 pm

Morsy one booking away from a ban is he ? Do you reckon he’ll make it to half time before he gets another yellow?

Ps Andy, the Club paid for the away fans that went to Plymouth …so yes, they are “ in touch” with the costs involved to fans I think. A nice gesture I thought. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:11 pm

Coach costs

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:42 pm

I bet Morecambe's manager is well impressed with their keeper coming out to the press and spill his feelings on their tactics.

As if the manager doesn't enough problems on his plate to then hear the keeper saying they need to be "brutal, nasty and horrible"

Hoping the officials and league taken notice of this

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:14 am

What an opportunity for three points, no game's a given but got to be confident in winning this. All the team picked needs do is keep focus and business as usual. Would be real surprised if the opposition take anything from it but all things are possible, you got to entertain all potential outcome.

Leave Walton out for once, give the kid a rest and pick even Hayes for goal duties, he's unlikely to feature much often throughout the season ahead.

Don't play Jackson or Chaplin in midfield, it's not their natural position or even better, omit those names altogether and deploy two attackers for once say in Ahadme and Jules, more recognized names such as Aluko Chaplin or even Ladapo can remain off -field as believe such is the caliber of opposition they won't be required.

But you know how it's going to be, It'll be Walton once again and a f**king 4-2-3-1 line-up with some said names either out of position or selected squad numbers that could be rested or no real need to participate. Hell with it whatever McKenna goes with we're surely going to be too strong for the opposition to really threaten us. 3 - 1 away victory.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:50 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:36 pm
Morsy one booking away from a ban is he ? Do you reckon he’ll make it to half time before he gets another yellow?

Ps Andy, the Club paid for the away fans that went to Plymouth …so yes, they are “ in touch” with the costs involved to fans I think. A nice gesture I thought. 👍
Maybe he should do ahead and get the yellow.

Could we do without him for Lincoln at home? Not ideal but not the worst scenario. Maybe a game for Ball or even Humphreys to come in for?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:27 am

Saint Arana of the Spiders, definitely wouldn’t be underestimating The Shrimps. Play the vast majority of the team that has the club on 27 points. Jaysus H, don’t be fking around with things Paul Lambert style. 🤦‍♂️ Trust KMcK won’t. 🙏
Not sure back in the day Paul Cooper got a “rest”. The best should play and Walton has earned that and the clean sheets are testimony to him and the defence.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:58 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:50 am
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:36 pm

Maybe he should do ahead and get the yellow.

Could we do without him for Lincoln at home? Not ideal but not the worst scenario. Maybe a game for Ball or even Humphreys to come in for?
Yes I think you could be right there. With Ball in the squad we definitely are better off now than “pre Ball” and as influential as Morsy is, if he misses a game it’s maybe not quite so denting as it previously used to be. Great squad eh 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:47 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:54 am
arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:14 am
What an opportunity for three points, no game's a given but got to be confident in winning this. All the team picked needs do is keep focus and business as usual. Would be real surprised if the opposition take anything from it but all things are possible, you got to entertain all potential outcome.

Leave Walton out for once, give the kid a rest and pick even Hayes for goal duties, he's unlikely to feature much often throughout the season ahead.

Don't play Jackson or Chaplin in midfield, it's not their natural position or even better, omit those names altogether and deploy two attackers for once say in Ahadme and Jules, more recognized names such as Aluko Chaplin or even Ladapo can remain off -field as believe such is the caliber of opposition they won't be required.

But you know how it's going to be, It'll be Walton once again and a f**king 4-2-3-1 line-up with some said names either out of position or selected squad numbers that could be rested or no real need to participate. Hell with it whatever McKenna goes with we're surely going to be too strong for the opposition to really threaten us. 3 - 1 away victory.
That's madness. You play the best 11 and go and give them a spanking.
Yep, it will be the same old winning formula once again! :roll: :lol: Too much sugar in your coffee, Saint? :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:21 pm

:lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:12 pm

Wow, he's rung the changes today, this better not go wrong. Keogh, Edwards, John-Jules and Jackson all in, Woolfy, Harness, Burns and Ladapo on bench

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:12 pm

Oh well even more changes but whoever he picks the starting line up still looks strong, especially the bench with Harness, Lapado, Burns and Harness all sitting on it plus Woolfie and KVY all who would start in almost every other team in this league.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:12 pm

Changes today Burns Wolfie Harness on the bench as is Ladapo, Keogh Edwards and Jackson in.
No Ball in the squad.
Last edited by Cabanas Blue on Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:17 pm

Anyone would think we have a big midweek game coming up.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:18 pm

Surprised that Ball hasn’t even made the bench. Hopefully he hasn’t picked up another knock.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:19 pm

Keogh could be a good pick for this game and Jackson too, the more I think about it the more I like it. God help them on 60 mins when he brings on fresh legs.

I fancy TJJ now for the first goal, shame I picked Harness for the Prediction League.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:32 pm

Half an hour gone. Only listening on Radio Suffolk but find think we have had a shot yet. Sounds like the wind isn’t helping.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:32 pm

Apart from Chaplin and Keogh we've been very ordinary so far

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:33 pm

Hmm, not even a shot on goal yet, let alone one on target!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:33 pm

72% possession but not one shot.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:35 pm

1-0 morecombe

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:36 pm

Put that one down to Walton

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:37 pm

I'm not surprised I didn't like that many changes.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:38 pm

only their 3rd home goal of the season too

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:36 pm
Put that one down to Walton
Maybe SJ was right! :lol: