League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A trickier fixture than it looks?

Ipswich Win
90%
Lincoln Win
10%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 20

AzzurroMark

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:19 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:35 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:46 am
arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:26 am

McKenna yet again started with the same damn starting formation : why the hell utilize one up front against this level of opposition and with a home advantage. McKenna's done great, he can be - and is - a real upcoming name who has made us competitive once again but his choice of line-up irritates the sh*t out of some fans particularly when it's used over again. It's not f**king rocket science to implement an attacking line-up against the level of today's opposition and provide the team with the opportunity to score goals.
I really do not get this hang up some fans have with playing 1 up front! The fact we had 32 shots suggests to me that only a combination of poor finishing & desperate defending prevented us scoring a hatful! Until yesterday we were L1's top scorers, not bad for a team with 1up front!
A quick look tells me Plymouth employed a 'lone striker' away, against lowly MK Dons (who incidentally played the same formation as Lincoln). By that thinking Plymouth had no right to score 4 goals?

Looking at Random matches against weaker opponents, all of the Premier League top 4 used 1 up front! The Championship top 4, only 4th placed QPR employed more than 1 striker up front!

Granted in L1 both the Owls & Pompey used a 4-4-2 in their last game! Likewise 3 of the top 4 teams in L2 used more than one striker. Therefore perhaps as you go lower down the leagues, there is an argument to go against the 1up front format! That said, KM has said he uses a very fluid system and certainly from what I have seen so far of us going forward, the football has been very enjoyable! I wouldn't change rhe "system"

Yesterday, yes poor defending cost us, but it was (as others have said) a poor day at the office! Had just a couple of shots gone in, the formation wouldn't have warranted a comment!
Really? Poor defending cost us? You don't suppose that having 32 goal attempts and failing to convert any was the thing that cost us most?
:lol:
Yes, totally get that point. Perhaps I needed to change the wording, to the fact it was not having one up front which lost us the game! However, a defensive mistake did mean we lost! The lack of a goal for us only cost us a win, otherwise we'd have seen a stalemate played out!

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:28 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:03 am
But is it really “ 1 up front”? If you have your two wide men forward in those attacks, surely its three up front?
Depends which way you look at it Liz. But playing 1 up front usually means the team have just the one big central striker, and I think a lot of fans would like to see 2 big strikers up front like we had a few years ago.

Ok, so playing 2 up front means using the long ball more, but is that such a bad thing? Yesterday I watched Liverpool vs Man City - there was an awful lot of pretty pretty football, but the only goal of the game was a long ball over the top, so there's definitely a place for it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:44 am

I don't think we need to be changing anything after One unexpected defeat, it happens and will happen 5 or 6 times more this season, no reason to change what has got us to second in the table, what has seen us forge the best goal difference, what has seen us as leading scorers in the division and what has seen us keep a ridiculous amount of clean sheets. Shocks will happen to everyone.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:39 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:28 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:03 am
But is it really “ 1 up front”? If you have your two wide men forward in those attacks, surely its three up front?
Depends which way you look at it Liz. But playing 1 up front usually means the team have just the one big central striker, and I think a lot of fans would like to see 2 big strikers up front like we had a few years ago.

Ok, so playing 2 up front means using the long ball more, but is that such a bad thing? Yesterday I watched Liverpool vs Man City - there was an awful lot of pretty pretty football, but the only goal of the game was a long ball over the top, so there's definitely a place for it.
I thought exactly the same whilst watching it on live tv but on a second and third viewing last night I don’t think we have a striker with anywhere near the class of Mo Salah who was just unbelievable in the way he lost Cancelo who himself is one of the best defenders in the world. There’s certainly a time and a place for the long direct ball and I did make the point during match discussion that we needed to look at driving down the middle of the pitch rather than our normal style down the wings.

But hey, we’re never going to win every game as Man City found out yesterday when Pep Guadiola got his tactics wrong against Liverpool. What we have to accept is these guys won’t get every decision right every week, but wow their quality of football is really worth paying to watch and come the end of the season both Guardiola & McKenna’s teams will be at or close to the top of the pile.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:17 pm

Good debate guys .

My only comment on it now (not that McK will be listening or taking my advice lol), is ..please just mix it up a bit more during games. Were very predictable now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:39 pm

Charlton getting the better of Pompey at the moment certainly brings a certain irritation that 3pts weren't taken @ PR v Imps. :?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:15 pm

Pompey are no threat

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:29 pm

Seems like it....., just went 3-0 :shock:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:52 pm

I'm sure Cowley will say their budget is bigger :lol: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:26 pm

Oh well, at least that’s one of Pompey’s games in hand gone. Could just do without Charlton going into a run of form in the lead up to our visit to The Valley at the end of the month.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:53 pm

First Lincoln take 3 points off us and today they’re holding Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 with only a few minutes to play. If it stays like this I guess the real winner is Plymouth Argyle but I’ll take that.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:58 pm

Well done the Imps, 1–1 it is. 👍👏🏌️‍♂️