League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A trickier fixture than it looks?

Ipswich Win
90%
Lincoln Win
10%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 20

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:10 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Lincoln CityImage

Saturday 15th October 2022 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

In his post match interview following the Morecambe victory kieran McKenna made the point that no team is going to play well every week, nor in fact will any team play well for 90 minutes of any game, never has that been more evident than during Saturday's win at bottom club Morecambe. It was a game that virtually every Town fan expected us to win at a canter but as is said week after week, no game in this putrid League is easy. Credit to Morecambe in that they made a very tough game of it in the first half, changing their usual tactics caught us out and during the first Thirty minutes or so it was our hosts that had the better of the game and they duly got their rewards by scoring an excellently taken set piece which caught us out all ends up.

The final Fifteen minutes of the first half saw Town gradually get a foothold in the game and they came within a whisker of going in all square,which would have been a bit harsh on Morecambe but luckily for them Lee Evans effort came back off the post. If Town were to get anything from the game it was a key half time team talk added to a much improved second half showing that was required and once again McKenna and co obliged.

From the restart Town took the game to the bottom of the table hosts and withing seconds Kyle Edwards was looking a different animal as his surging run and shot saw the ball fly to safety off the foot of the post with gobshite Ripley in the Morecambe goal well beaten, moments later the woodwork denied Town again as a defenders header from a dangerous cross flicked off the bar and fell invitingly for the keeper to gather up. The warning signs were there for Morecambe and it looked only a matter of time. It was Ripley to the rescue again as he got down low to save another Town shot before the rejuvenated Morsy tested him again, this time the effort was weak. Town were not to be denied though and from a Davis corner it was the Centre Back George Edmundson who fired home through a crowded penalty area to get Town back on level terms.

Town looked a different side now with Morsy & Evans getting control of the Midfield, something they had failed to do in the first half, and what a difference it made, it was Morsy that was instrumental in most of the good things Town were doing, Edwards too was looking very menacing and hard to handle while at the back Town were looking much more solid. In fact it was a run from Edwards into the box that gave Town a golden chance to get ahead as the referee correctly pointed to the spot, however this time it was not to be Conor Chaplin's day as he sent his free kick low to the keepers left but Ripley guessed correctly and smothered the ball on the line, the keeper making the most of it as he raised his arm in delight as if to make a point, a gesture which would come back to haunt him.

Morecambe gave Town a wake up call to remind us they were still very much in the game as they had the ball in the net, thankfully the striker had roamed way offside and the goal was chalked off. Town had seemed to wait years for a penalty and like London buses two came along in Six minutes, this time Jackson was upended as he drove into the box, it was Lee Evans turn to step up and he made no mistake to send the Town fans down the other end into raptures and in doing so it gave Town a lead that they were never going to relinquish, Ripley not quite so animated this time around.

The dangerous Cole Stockton bludgeoned his way through the Town defence, firstly controlling the ball with his arm before pushing Donacien out of his way before thankfully firing inches wide, incredibly the otherwise excellent referee allowed both offences to go unpunished and the effort would have stood. Aside form that effort it was mainly Town that looked the more likely to add to the scoreline although the Town rearguard was peppered in the closing moments with a few high balls which the excellent Richard Keogh and co dealt with, after the game McKenna called Keogh a collossus and frankly I agree, I am not sure what some watch but I thought he was excellent throughout, others who had good games were Edmundson, Davis and Morsy (second half) but in truth it is the work ethic and team spirit that shines through when all is not going to plan.

Again McKenna made Five changes which I am not always in agreement with but looking at our results, league position and excellent win record under him it is hard to be too critical as we are doing the business on a regular basis, everything is pretty much where we all hoped it would be, games we would have lost over the last few years are being won, we keep clean sheets for fun, we are the highest scorers and have the best goal difference, without Referee's errors we would have won Eleven from Thirteen games, that is championship winning form. finally the most noticeable thing for me is how for more years than I care to remember and under several managers we have been screaming out for a "Plan B" McCarthy, Lambert, Hurst and Cook all failed miserably in that regard, every One of them was so One dimensional it was untrue, they are looked blank when change was needed, not so under this young and talented manager, he can change it, he sticks to his beliefs, he knows how to tinker with starting formations and he knows who to pick depending on the opposition on any given day, we are blessed to have him and are best letting him continue to do it his way, it's working.

Next up it is the first of Two home games, first up it is the Imps from Lincoln who come to try and stifle Town. we have history against this lot, under the leadership of a certain Danny Cowley they embarrassed us on more than One occasion but we have addressed that scenario since then, however I don't know if it is just me but I still get a sense of really wanting to put One over this lot for some reason. Lincoln have had a bit of a mixed bag of results so far this season and inconsistency has been the key to seeing them in a position of hovering just Three points above the drop zone. They have had a decent victory over derby County and also earlier in the campaign they held Pompey to a goalless draw at Fratton Park so on their day they can turn in good results.

For me it looks like another that game in which Town just need to do what we do well and pay them maximum respect and we have every chance of obtaining another Three point haul, with it being the second game in the "Pack out Portman Road" incentive a large crowd should once again be guaranteed and with it the atmosphere to help push Town across the line, the team are confident and have the belief they can beat anyone, the question is are Lincoln good enough to stop our surge up the table ? I think not, it could be another case of staying patient and biding our time and the chances will come just as they did against Cambridge Utd. One day soon everything will click and Town are going to give someone a good hiding, while I am not sure it will be Saturday against Lincoln I do see another Town home win !!!!
COYB'S

The Opposition – Lincoln City Honours

League

Football League Third Division North / League One

Champions: 1931–32, 1947–48, 1951–52
Runners-up: 1927–28, 1930–31, 1936–37
Play-off finalists: 2020–21

Football League Fourth Division / League Two

Champions: 1975–76, 2018–19
Runners-up: 1980–81
Third place: 1997–98
Play-off finalists: 2002–03, 2004–05

Conference / National League

Champions: 1987–88, 2016–17

Cup

Football League Trophy

Winners: 2017–18

Football League Group Trophy

Runners-up: 1982–83

Conference Championship Shield

Winners: 1988

The Manager – Mark Kennedy

League Table as at 10th October 2022

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

17 Sep Sheffield Wed 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

25 Sep Plymouth 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

1 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Portsmouth

4 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Cambridge Utd

8 Oct Morecambe 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

Lincoln City

13 Sep Lincoln City 2 - 0 Derby County

17 Sep Bristol Rovers 3 - 6 Lincoln City

24 Sep Lincoln City pp. Milton Keynes

1 Oct Bolton 2 - 0 Lincoln City

8 Oct Lincoln City 0 - 0 Charlton

Head to Head

Match referee – Andy Davies

IPSWICH TOWN 1 LINCOLN CITY 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:06 am

Another excellent match preview……. And quote re KMcK: “blessed to have him” End quote ——->> Yep, very true. Really is a cool, non-flapping character. Knows his stuff and its a “real” moment in Ipswich Towns history. Long may he continue doing his work and hauling the club out of this league.

Thinking a decent win v Lincoln but only as its at Portman Road. Big crowd and got to hope that’ll inspire the team to a convincing win. 2 or 3 nil ITFC 👍🙏

Ref caption:
4th official thru earpiece: “Thats Maggie got the kettle on, Ref. How many sugars?”
Ref: (picture)

DISCLAIMER: Men can also put the kettle on. In fact Maggie is actually Trans Michael with a wig on.

Mark Kennedy caption while looking at canteen Maggie.

Thinks: ……. Thats a bloke.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:37 pm

Well, it will be a momentous day for me. I am taking my youngest daughter, Gladys (9yrs) to her first live football match.

She is named after my Grandma who was a true Ipswich girl, one of 12! She lived for many years on Dover Road and used to tell me stories about working in 'Footmans' and life in Ipswich during the war. We were very close, hence the name choice for Jnr.

So now full circle - Gladys Jnr who was also born in Ipswich has no choice but to be a Tractorgirl.........

I just hope we win..!!

Which of course we will. 2-0 ITFC.

COYB!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:54 pm

jimmyt wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:37 pm
Well, it will be a momentous day for me. I am taking my youngest daughter, Gladys (9yrs) to her first live football match.

She is named after my Grandma who was a true Ipswich girl, one of 12! She lived for many years on Dover Road and used to tell me stories about working in 'Footmans' and life in Ipswich during the war. We were very close, hence the name choice for Jnr.

So now full circle - Gladys Jnr who was also born in Ipswich has no choice but to be a Tractorgirl.........

I just hope we win..!!

COYB!
jimmyt
Hope your daughter enjoys her first live football match which I’m sure she will. Just a word of warning though, I took my daughter to her first live game on her 10th birthday. Town were playing away at Bolton and I was convinced that after that long journey she would say I don’t want to go anymore. Yeah right, as if that was going to happen.
She is now 32 and still coming to games with me and I still more often than not end up paying for the day out! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:36 pm

jimmyt wrote:

I just hope we win..!!

COYB!
Great story, and Dover Road, next road down from mine.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:37 pm

Nice story, JimmyT

It’d be interesting to know if she is the only Gladys under 60 in the UK.
Only ever knew two Gladys’ …… my brothers mother-in-law, (dead) and my buddys granny, (dead)…… both awesome cake bakers.
Get down Tesco, Jim……. Get wee Gladys a cake mix 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:50 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:36 pm
jimmyt wrote:

I just hope we win..!!

COYB!
Great story, and Dover Road, next road down from mine.
Name dropper , lol !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:08 am

What is it, 27k sold ?

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:59 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:37 pm
Nice story, JimmyT

It’d be interesting to know if she is the only Gladys under 60 in the UK.
Only ever knew two Gladys’ …… my brothers mother-in-law, (dead) and my buddys granny, (dead)…… both awesome cake bakers.
Get down Tesco, Jim……. Get wee Gladys a cake mix 👍
She doesn't hate me for the choice yet but that may change during teenage years! My wife is French so when that side of the family pronounce her name, it's a charming 'Gla-deees' - from the Suffolk side it's a very different 'Glaaa-duss'

But back to football and I still think ITFC crowds are fairly family friendly and that she will enjoy the atmosphere. I know there has been mixed views on this board about Women's football, but the Euros and the Lionesses' success is one of the reasons she wants to go to a live match.

ITFC have dominated possession in recent games and are the League's top goal scorers with 27 having only conceded 11, so the league's top GD of +16. IMO we will be too strong for Lincoln and a virtual sell-out home game with the team in this form, will be a perfect introduction!

What could go wrong...................... :D

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:24 pm

I think that name will be 'cool' as it wont be common, and its not chavy,. Nice story and thanks for sharing, its fantastic to see Women's football on the rise and one day I'd love for my daughter to come to a game with me when she is older/if shes interested.

27k+ is a great crowd!

I'm hoping we go strong, Ladapo to start, and the usual first XI so those 2nd string can play tuesday and we are fresher for Derby.
Chaplin has looked a little off recently so I'd be tempted to give Edwards and Harness the start for the number 10 roles, bring Burns back in on the right and just let Chaplin have 30mins off the bench.

What I'd love to see soon is if we are 2-0+ up then bring on Humpreys and give him some minutes.

Anyway I've enjoyed it so much this year, can't wait for the games now and I'll be there in person for Derby :)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:08 am
What is it, 27k sold ?
Think it’ll end up being more than that . An extra 300 tkts given to home fans in Cobbold stand As Lincoln can’t sell anymore .

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:29 am

I can see another decent win here, Lincoln will play and not park the bus so this will give us a chance to take them apart.

3 - 1 to the blues!

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:18 pm

I’m feeling worryingly optimistic. 3-0 win

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:50 pm

f*ck me Andy, your accounts been hacked !! 🤣

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:00 pm

wow, I see one person has predicted an away win - wonder who that was?

Seriously, in the thread on October Points I predicted that this is the game in October we would slip up on.
Hope I'm wrong, but I think Lincoln will play differently to most of the teams that come to PR, and will take the game to us. 1-2

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:36 pm

Thank god you haven't been hacked too Gary 😉🤣

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:18 pm

Lincoln and Kennedy. Hope there's not an assassin hiding out in the crowd.

Voted to win, seemed straight forward enough. We score in just about every game and the opposition don't seem up to much. Won't be a full attendance but we're stronger in just about every department compared to what they got. A 3 - 1 home win.

Always associate these with a former manager we had, embarrassment on live TV with a cup game when they were non-league. One of the best post-game reactions in forum history but for the wrong reasons. Not that far back but the difference and progress since then is night and day. Would be real surprised to see them take anything back from the trip. We can't afford to drop points, Plymouth will be hard to catch if or when we slip up.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:06 pm

I just can’t see a banana skin here.

KMc will have done his research and be ready for whatever Lincoln bring. Even if they manage to go a goal up the strength we’ve got running through the side and the impact from the bench really should be too much for them.

I’m going for a 3-0. All the goals in the second half because Lincoln will offer significant resistance.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:50 pm
f*ck me Andy, your accounts been hacked !! 🤣
Cheeky bugger :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:36 pm
Thank god you haven't been hacked too Gary 😉🤣
:lol:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:24 pm

If Denny comes on and predicts a Town win, we will need to shut the site down and disinfect everything! 😂

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:11 am

Plymouth don’t seem to have a problem beating lower teams, so if we’re serious about automatic promotion we need to get it done.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:40 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:11 am
Plymouth don’t seem to have a problem beating lower teams, so if we’re serious about automatic promotion we need to get it done.
Apart from when they lost 1-5 to Charlton and 1-2 to Fleetwood?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:20 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:40 am
number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:11 am
Apart from when they lost 1-5 to Charlton and 1-2 to Fleetwood?
Yes, apart from those. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:07 pm

One of the American owners at Portman Road today, Berke Bakay.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:38 pm

No surprises today:

Walton
JD, Wolf, Fridge

Burns, Evans, Morsy, Davies

Harness, Chappers

Freddie

Subs: Hladky, keough, KVY, Ball, Edwards, Jackson, JJ

Go thump ‘em!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:43 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:38 pm
No surprises today:

Walton

JD, Wolf, Fridge

Burns, Evans, Morsy, Davies

Harness, Chappers

Freddie

Subs: Hladky, keough, KVY, Ball, Edwards, Jackson, JJ

Go thump ‘em!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:07 pm
One of the American owners at Portman Road today, Berke Bakay.

Let’s hope Berke and Glady’s both have a fantastic afternoon. Town 2-0 Lincoln. I’ve just predicted Leicester 0-0 Palace accurately so definitely on a roll this afternoon. Only one team can win this. 👍

The only Glady’s I know is when the golf ball doesn’t reach the ladies tee and we pay a 5€ fine each time it happens. That and designated bunker fines all go to the local kids home for Christmas and you’d be amazed how much money we give them which is put to great use.

ifollow Ipswich is on and ready to go.👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:18 pm

I wish we wouldn’t play all these tippy tippy passes just outside our own box. Sooner or later we’re going to get caught in possession and gift a stupid goal away.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:31 pm

Well how sloppy was that, what the f*ck was Walton doing let alone a few others.

Town 0-1 Lincoln. They’re successfully man marking us out if this game.